Is the OT Law still in effect?

New_Wineskin

Contributor
Jun 26, 2004
Elizabethtown , PA , usa
✟13,854.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I have seen so many debates back and forth about whether this or that is a sin, and on and on and on.

So the real question is this; Is the Law still in effect today?

Yes , those that say this or that is a sin want the Law to rule . The Law was never in effect for me .

Others can have it if they want .

Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟164,232.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Mosiac law is still in effect for unbelievers, that is why it is called a curse. Believers are under the law of Christ now,..

1Co 9:20 And to the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might gain Jews; to them that are under the law, as under the law, not being myself under the law, that I might gain them that are under the law;

1Co 9:21 to them that are without law, as without law, not being without law to God, but under law to Christ, that I might gain them that are without law.

There are many areas in scripture that point this out, not just one.

Upvote 0

rcorlew

Serving His Flock
Aug 21, 2008
Missouri, the show me state!
✟16,657.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Mosiac law is still in effect for unbelievers, that is why it is called a curse. Believers are under the law of Christ now,..

There are many areas in scripture that point this out, not just one.

Somebody had to go and spoil this thread on page 1.

So then, do believers still sin?

Upvote 0

cyberlizard

the electric lizard returns
Jul 5, 2007
chesterfield, UK
Visit site
✟25,065.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
certain aspects of the 'Law' certainly appear to still be in effect, otherwise, the teachings of Jesus are irrelevent to most believers and much of the writings of the apostles lose their authority.

Without the 'law', there exists no standard of righteousness.

Steve

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
I have seen so many debates back and forth about whether this or that is a sin, and on and on and on.

Which law?
Still?
What effect?
For whom?

I think the word 'today' was straightforward - but that's probably because I'm missing something.

Is a signpost still in effect when you've reached your destination? What if you came from a different direction in the first place?

Torah (which I presume is the law you are talking about) always was to get Israel to Jesus' death and resurrection. To ask whether it's still in effect becomes a nonsensical question with the resurrection.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LamorakDesGalis

Sep 22, 2004
Dallas Texas
✟11,088.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

On the one hand, Christians don't engage in animal sacrifices as described in Leviticus. So there are recognized breaks or discontinuities in the OT law from then to today.

On the other hand, Christians do recognize certain principles embedded within the OT law - as for example, do not murder, do not commit adultery, etc. So there are some continuities from the past.

The basis for these principles varies. Some Christians perceive a strong break with the law, and only accept those "laws" which are repeated in the NT (that would be 9 out of 10 commandments). Other Christians see a strong continuity between the OT and NT communities, and so incorporate what they often call moral laws (10 of 10 commandments).

The whole issue is a bit complex due to Paul's statements concerning the law.

LDG

Upvote 0

Hentenza

I will fear no evil for You are with me
Mar 27, 2007
On the bus to Heaven
✟60,078.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If the OT laws arent in effect, neither are the 10 commandments. You gotta pick and this wouldnt be the only tough choice

That's a typical misunderstanding. Christians are not under the law which simply means that, because of Christ's work on the cross, we are not under the penalty of sin. The OT law, including the 10 commandments, will never pass away.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Frogster

Galatians is the best!
Sep 7, 2009
✟74,317.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Interesting thing is,Paul told Timothy not to let them issue law.He said the law is NOT for the righteous,that would be us,the Christian.And notice that he gives a list of things,that would break the moral law,not ceremonial,yet he still says the law is not for us.Shows that the law,will have no power over sin which concurrs with Rom 7:5 and 8.

1 Tim 1:10 the sexually immoral, men who practice homosexuality, enslavers, liars, perjurers, and whatever else is contrary to sound doctrine,

Upvote 0

cyberlizard

the electric lizard returns
Jul 5, 2007
chesterfield, UK
Visit site
✟25,065.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
On the one hand, Christians don't engage in animal sacrifices as described in Leviticus. So there are recognized breaks or discontinuities in the OT law from then to today.

On the other hand, Christians do recognize certain principles embedded within the OT law - as for example, do not murder, do not commit adultery, etc. So there are some continuities from the past.

The basis for these principles varies. Some Christians perceive a strong break with the law, and only accept those "laws" which are repeated in the NT (that would be 9 out of 10 commandments). Other Christians see a strong continuity between the OT and NT communities, and so incorporate what they often call moral laws (10 of 10 commandments).

The whole issue is a bit complex due to Paul's statements concerning the law.

LDG

this is difficult as whilst we believers today do not continue to offer sacrifices as per the Torah commandments, it was not the same for many in the early church (pre-temple destruction)... the believers continued to offer animal sacrifices. I will not point out specific verses, but would suggest reading the book of Acts again, very slowly, noting passages which refer to things like vows, purification, etc, then look at what the OT commanded in these particular instances.

Steve

Upvote 0

squint

Jul 23, 2007
Mountain Regions
✟20,405.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
//Yes, EVERY WORD of God IS still in complete and total effect.//

Thanks man. We cant pick and choose things in the OT and throw out the things we dont like. Im not saying all of the things in the OT seem lovely, but they are all God's word and he meant all of the verses

Paul has provided us MANY OPEN understandings of how and why EVERY WORD of God is valid and in effect for ALL mankind. Jesus did as well.

WILL all of those understandings STRICTLY REVOLVE around physical/fleshly understandings ONLY? NO...many of those presentations were for THAT TIME...but they ALSO point to OTHER matters which were LATER revealed.

The Law came by Moses. Grace and Truth came by Christ...to ELABORATE on what those things really meant through the DELIVERANCE of Grace and Truth.

Grace and Truth did NOT eliminate ONE SINGLE JOT OR TITTLE of the Word.

s

Upvote 0

squint

Jul 23, 2007
Mountain Regions
✟20,405.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That's a typical misunderstanding. Christians are not under the law which simply means that, because of Christ's work on the cross, we are not under the penalty of sin. The OT law, including the 10 commandments, will never pass away.

ALL EVIL remains to this day FULLY CONDEMNED under the Law, yes even the EVIL in believers.

Believers EVIL is not excused or covered up by THE LAW, but revealed and even empowered by that same LAW.

The notion that EVIL is somehow UNDER GRACE is simply NOT true whatsoever.

EVIL is and remains condemned under both LAW and GRACE. They are IN SYMPHONY in this matter.

s

Upvote 0