• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Is the average person's life really worth living?

The3rdhero

Nov 8, 2004
Liverpool
✟7,819.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
all your childhood in school
all your adulthood in work
all your seniorhood trying to stay alive, strapped to oxygen tanks, taking pills to stop your ancles from dropping off and suffering with pains such as arthritis.

you dont get to experience life to the full, sure, you go on the occasional vacation but its only a dream! sooner or later you have to come back to reality!

mcvicarl

Oct 18, 2004
perth, fremantle western australia
Visit site
✟7,854.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
well, wherever it is, yes it is worth it. life is meant to be relationship wioth god. and discovering that.

my favourite quote is :

though we stand in battle with principalities and darkness, victory shall be yours because in christ every evi is overcome. you will always be a the beggining of your search because u will always change but in faith u will find fulfillment of al your longing.

lifes a journey with different stages to learn differnt things. sure there are struggles but life is full of blessings. if there was nothing bad or trilsome would we appreciate the good simple and true things in life?

im doing tee and i go to school every day and study like agood student but i have fun with friends and i love the rain and i love the beach and i love taking time out to read a good book. life is good if you focus on the good things and see the bad as character building.

Upvote 0

pmcleanj

Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner
Mar 24, 2004
Alberta, Canada
Visit site
✟7,281.00
Faith
Anglican
The average person's life? Oh, consider a little more deeply, my friend

The3rdhero said:
There are six billion of us on this planet. Only the little fraction of those of us in the developed world can hope to spend twelve years in school. Should those of us that do, complaining that it makes childhood not worth living?

Schools are rich with books, with opportunities for living. Out of sixteen waking hours, most children spend only six in lessons, and the rest at recreation. And lessons themselves can be pure joy, if only the teachers and society and jadedness have not destroyed your love of learning.

Certainly, ten hours spent in front of inane television programming or computer games may take the edge off one's joy in living. But even in the developed world, there are trees to climb and fields to run in, if parents only have the gumption to unplug the TV and let their children experience simple pleasures.

And childhood is usually further blessed by being a time of care and nurture: parents who ensure you are fed and sheltered and who wipe away your tears.

The3rdhero said:
Find the work that God calls you to do, for which God has gifted you. Then it will be a holy joy to take it up each morning, and a wistful pleasure to lay down to take your well-deserved rest.
The3rdhero said:
all your seniorhood trying to stay alive, strapped to oxygen tanks, taking pills to stop your ancles from dropping off and suffering with pains such as arthritis.
In the third world, a long seniority is a luxury few enjoy -- and certainly none of those are complaining about oxygen tanks and pills! In the west, medical science has prolonged our healthy years so that the morose picture you paint is only a short portion of a comfortable retirement. You can remain a generous contributor to the lives around you for many, many years
The3rdhero said:
you dont get to experience life to the full, sure, you go on the occasional vacation but its only a dream! sooner or later you have to come back to reality!
Learning, working, contributing, and eventually dying, ARE the full experience of life! Stop waiting for your next vacation to enjoy the people and experiences that fill your days, and start living right now.

Bradford said:
:moved: again!

Mods make mistakes! This thread is NOW in Scripture, Tradition, Reason. Again, please remember the forum specific rules when posting in this thread.
Okay, fine. But why?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

The3rdhero

Nov 8, 2004
Liverpool
✟7,819.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
i think you misunderstood me
there's so much more to life than working and learning.
maybe you do only go to school for 6 out of 16 hours, but you cant go anywhere for the other 10 because of school/work in the morning.
9 hours a day at work, when you come home you just wanna park your bum in front of the tele and order a chinese because your tired, on the weekend people relax and have a lie in too, take it easy, do some shopping, wash the car...then back to work!
not everyone can have their dream job.
the majority of people i know, hate getting up in the moring because they have to do their work, which they hate with a passion.
life is short, and there's so many places to go, so many things to see!
and you cant do it all while working/stuck in school

Upvote 0

Songspinner

Cradle Anglo-Catholic
Oct 27, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
✟8,089.00
Faith
Anglican
The3rdhero said:
maybe you do only go to school for 6 out of 16 hours, but you cant go anywhere for the other 10 because of school/work in the morning.
9 hours a day at work, when you come home you just wanna park your bum in front of the tele and order a chinese because your tired, on the weekend people relax and have a lie in too, take it easy, do some shopping, wash the car...then back to work!
the majority of people i know, hate getting up in the moring because they have to do their work, which they hate with a passion.

Huh..what a coincidence.

I just posted a thread asking what to say when people claim that christianity is to controlling. I would say that our love of God gives us joy and freedom from just such a humdrum :D :D

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

pmcleanj

Mar 24, 2004
Alberta, Canada
Visit site
✟7,281.00
Faith
Anglican
P.O.D. Cincy Warrior said:
I believe this is the best forum for it. I don't know why it was put in the Anglican forum.

:D It's the Flying Dutchman of threads!

Well, thanks for its brief call at the Port of STR. It was an interesting invitation to comment particularly on a thread most of us would otherwise not have noticed.

Upvote 0

pmcleanj

Mar 24, 2004
Alberta, Canada
Visit site
✟7,281.00
Faith
Anglican
The3rdhero said:

I think I understand you. I just don't agree with you.

You don't have to go anywhere, in order to be fully alive! Learn, think, write, dance, dream, build, love, nurture, serve: all of these are things you can do right where you are!

Too tired after work to do anything but turn on the TV? Sorry, but that sounds like an excuse to me. My grandparents and grand-uncles were labourers, farmers and miners. But they had no TV to turn on after their shifts. They read aloud, played Bridge and Cribbage, discussed and debated, and enjoyed their families. You can choose how you use your time, how you respond to situations. The TV is an easy out, and it does sap your initiative. But in this day of remote controls, you don't even have to get out of your recliner to push the off button!

Here's a suggestion: for a week, just leave it off. I'm guessing that once its inane natter is no longer distracting you, you'll be able to think of plenty of worth-while occupations that are better than sitting doing nothing.

You don't have to find your dream job -- although why you wouldn't make a go at getting your dream job, and persist at trying for it until you do get it, is something only you know. All you need is to see the value and worth in the job you do get, and then extract the joy of doing that job well.

But, if you're dissatisfied by staying where you are and blooming where you're planted, then pull up stakes, move to one of those places, and find something worthwhile to do there. Many families have done so, taking their children on round-world trips or on mission-work in the third world. Nothing ties you to staying in a particular job except your own choices -- but you must find some work to do, somewhere. We are all gifted for something, and none of us can flourish when we're given a free ride. You'll find, too, that the trivial view you get of those interesting sights and places is of low value compared to the deeper experience of living and working in those places.

But it all starts with you, and the choices you make. And sitting your butt in a chair with the TV on-switch under your finger is a pretty wimpy choice.

Upvote 0

mlukas

mlukas
Jun 2, 2004
Southern California
Visit site
✟7,987.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I agree! TV and the internet are a bloody time stealer! Not that I totally hate either, it's just the CONSTANT din of both needs to be self regulated. If not, you waste your time in a mindless wasteland of inane one sided chatter, mediocre entertainment, and mind numbing consumerism.
KILL YOUR TELEVISION!
M

Upvote 0

TheOriginalWhitehorse

Sep 1, 2003
Visit site
✟18,532.00
Faith
Calvinist
The3rdhero said:

Every moment is a chance to receive the Lord and to glorify Him. There is real meaning and purpose in this. It lasts forever. Is everything okay? You sound like you're not feeling too well. :groupray:

Upvote 0