Dec 24, 2003
✟77,794.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
I find it offensive when I see people professing to be followers of Christ Jesus who then turn right around and condemn to the pit of Hell the very Patriarchs of our faith.
Me too. That's not what DCJazz did, though. He merely interprets the scriptures differently than you. He may be wrong, but I don't think your accusation that he has chosen to believe false doctrine and condemned anyone at all to the pit of Hell. If anyone has reason to be offended here, it's him.

And I'm not trying to offend you either, but I'd rather have erroneous belief othan such an attitude any day :)

Upvote 0

sprky777

Jun 5, 2004
vermont
✟7,711.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Libertarian
Wait a minute let's turn this around. Today women make a lot of money, more than some men. Does is sound right that women should have many husbands?...
God is the head of Christ.
Christ is the head of the church, man.
A husband is the head of his wife or wives. Ephesians 5:23, Genesis 3:16

Scripture gives many examples of men having more than one wife and it also gives rules and regulations for such a practice. Scripture also prohibits a woman from having more than one husband. Romans 7:3
Such a limitation is not given to a husband.

Upvote 0

sprky777

Jun 5, 2004
vermont
✟7,711.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Libertarian
If a married person has sex with someone who is not lawfully his wife (or her husband), they are committing adultery.
There is a difference between fornication and adultery. Adultery is specifically defined as a married woman having sex with a man that is not her husband. specifically and exclusively. Of course, figuratively God calls it adultery to honor any god other than Him for we belong to Him.

Yet Jesus said if a man lusts after a woman in his heart, he is an adulterer (Matthew 5:28).
You must read that verse in context as Jesus was discussing the subject of adultery. He said not only is it bad to commit, it is just as bad to PLAN or DESIRE to commit.
It is not wrong for a man to desire an UNMARRIED maiden. That can not be considered adultery and it is not what Jesus was describing. If a maiden is unmarried a man commits no wrong in desiring her.

Hmmm, my Bible doesn't limit lust to simply looking to a married woman, one can certainly lust after an unmarried woman.
Lust is unjust desire, to covet. It is not wrong to JUSTLY desire an unmarried woman. There is a difference in the word usage in scripture and current modern English. You must take the meanings in context.

Again, these are instructions to the Israelites, not Christians.
We learn many valuable lessons from Gods examples and instructions to the Israelites. David had many wives. God found no fault in them other than Bathsheba who was already married. David had her husband killed so he could lawfully take her as a wife.

Jesus gave Christians instructions on how to live a life pleasing to God.
Love God and keep his commands.
Love one another.
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

He did not remove man from his headship over marriage or his responsibility for his family. Neither did he remove a mans ability to have more than one wife.

Upvote 0

BondiHarry

Mar 29, 2011
✟17,413.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
There is a difference between fornication and adultery. Adultery is specifically defined as a married woman having sex with a man that is not her husband. specifically and exclusively. Of course, figuratively God calls it adultery to honor any god other than Him for we belong to Him.

You must read that verse in context as Jesus was discussing the subject of adultery. He said not only is it bad to commit, it is just as bad to PLAN or DESIRE to commit.
It is not wrong for a man to desire an UNMARRIED maiden. That can not be considered adultery and it is not what Jesus was describing. If a maiden is unmarried a man commits no wrong in desiring her.

Lust is unjust desire, to covet. It is not wrong to JUSTLY desire an unmarried woman. There is a difference in the word usage in scripture and current modern English. You must take the meanings in context.

We learn many valuable lessons from Gods examples and instructions to the Israelites. David had many wives. God found no fault in them other than Bathsheba who was already married. David had her husband killed so he could lawfully take her as a wife.

Jesus gave Christians instructions on how to live a life pleasing to God.
Love God and keep his commands.
Love one another.
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

He did not remove man from his headship over marriage or his responsibility for his family. Neither did he remove a mans ability to have more than one wife.

Sorry but this is yet another case where selective use of scripture leads to wrong conclusions. What does Scripture say about Polygamy

Upvote 0

sprky777

Jun 5, 2004
vermont
✟7,711.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Libertarian
Upvote 0

BondiHarry

Mar 29, 2011
✟17,413.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
That reference is FULL of errors.

Matthew 15:9 But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.

So feel free to point out the errors. More importantly though look to what Jesus taught about marriage as He corrected MANY error filled doctrines that men had embraced that were contrary to the will of God (from slavery, to rape, to divorce to how many people one can marry).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

sprky777

Jun 5, 2004
vermont
✟7,711.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Libertarian
You got that right tturt.
In my post I was trying to point out how it would look turned around.
Men never care for it that way.
Actually it would be quite useful to have another guy around the house. But it is GOD that prohibits women from having more then one husband.
God does not give the same rules for men and women alike. We are each different and are treated differently.
Would you petition GOD to change his rules for equal treatment?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

sprky777

Jun 5, 2004
vermont
✟7,711.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Libertarian
So feel free to point out the errors.
ok, one more try :)

I'm using BLUE for the site authors text

There are some stipulations in the law that are connected to this subject. Matt. 22:24: “Teacher, Moses said that if a man dies, having no children, his brother shall marry his wife and raise up offspring for his brother.” This is based on the commandment found in Deut. 25:5-6: “If brothers dwell together, and one of them dies and has no son, the widow of the dead man shall not be married to a stranger outside the family; her husband's brother shall go in to her, take her as his wife, and perform the duty of a husband's brother to her. “And it shall be that the firstborn son which she bears will succeed to the name of his dead brother, that his name may not be blotted out of Israel. ”
This is the one place that God actually could force a polygynous marriage. If a mans brother already has a wife then he is commanded to take the widow also. This is a unique circumstance. But it is allowed, permitted, not condemned.

Multiple wives was tolerated but never with God's approval. Jesus told the Jews, "Because of your hardness of heart, Moses permitted you to divorce your wives; but from the beginning it has not been this way" (Matthew 19:3-8). The Mosaic law aimed at mitigating, rather than removing, evils that were inseparable from the state of society in that day. Its enactments were directed to the discouragement of polygamy; to prevent the injustice frequently consequent upon the exercise of the rights of a father or a master; to bring divorce under some restriction; and to enforce purity of life during the maintenance of the matrimonial bond.
again, God hates divorce. The author is speculating and injecting his opinion on polygyny.
In 2Samuel 12:8 God GAVE David his wives. He would have given him more if he had asked.

The Bible says adultery is not a choice, one does not have to acquire another wife to solve his urges. Jesus said if you look upon another woman with desire (married or not) it is adultery, a sin.
Here is the major root of the misunderstanding, the whole debate as it were.
Can a single man look upon an unmarried maiden with desire? Is he committing adultery? Of course that action is not adultery. Gods commandment is to not covet your neighbors wife. To covet is to lust, to unjustly desire, to want something that belongs to someone else. It is acceptable to want something that you CAN have. You can lust after a prize pearl. A choice piece of property. That fine ox at the market.
Jacob looked upon Rachel with desire. She was an unmarried maiden, not the wife of another man. There is a difference between a maiden and a woman. Jesus said it is wrong to commit adultery... it is adultery to even look upon a woman (not a maiden) with lust (unjust desire). Just as David did when he saw Bathsheba bathing on the roof. It was not wrong for him to recognize her beauty, but he crossed the line when he desired to take her as his own. She belonged to another man. That is coveting, lusting, unjust desire.

Paul insisted that a leader in the church should be “the husband of one wife,” a deacon or elder must have one wife... Titus 1:6.
Some are given the gift of teaching or leading, some are not. If Paul thinks a deacon or elder should have one wife then so be it. What of the other men that are not deacons or elders? Or, does this teaching follow Gods stand against divorce? A deacon or elder must prove themselves good leaders by retaining their first marriage? A divorced elder would set a bad example to the flock. Likewise, what wisdom would a man have gained by never marrying?

Could a bachelor elder give good guidance to a married couple that was having problems if he himself had not experienced marriage?

The New Testament teaches that, “Each man [should] have his own wife, and let each woman have her own husband” (1 Cor. 7:2). Monogamous marriage teaches us the type of the relation Christ has between himself and His bride, the church (Eph. 5:31-32). The church is called the bride, collectively as one (singular) each person is not a bride, as in plurality of wives and marriages.
or is it? Matt.25:1 Then shall the kingdom of heaven be likened unto ten virgins, which took their lamps, and went forth to meet the bridegroom.
God gives an example of using Himself as the husband of two brides, read Ezekiel 23.

How many wives did Adam have in Gen.2:24? One, God did not take two wives out from his side. Monogamy has always been God's standard for the human race.
From the very beginning God set the pattern by creating a monogamous marriage relationship -one man and one woman, Adam and Eve (Gen. 1:27; 2:21-25). It cannot be interpreted he became one with “each wife”; then this would mean he would be a husband to each, committing adultery. God certainly could have made two or more wives for Adam, this would have endorse the idea of polygamy, but he made only one.
Yes we are to have our own wives and our wives their own husband. We are not to have other mens wives and wives are not to have other husbands. That is the sanctity of marriage. It still does not preclude polygyny. A man has his wives and they all have their husband. The husband is one with each wife as a wagon wheel is one with its' spokes. Each spoke is different yet part of the same wheel. To add another spoke does not cause another to be removed. It all becomes a greater ONE. one plus one is one. It's marriage, not math.
If God had given Adam two wives then everyone would be claiming that We must have at least TWO wives! Again, it was a baseline marriage.

The Bible clearly and decidedly states that God does not condone or allow the practice of polygamy over and over again.
so the author states his opinion again. God speaks against divorce and against adultery. Not against polygyny.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hermeneutico

Orthodox-Pentecostal
Aug 6, 2012
Fort Worth, TX
✟18,882.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
I was randomly just searching stuff and I came upon polygamy and researched it some but to my surprise I really could not find anything debunking that Polygamy was a sin. Does anyone have know any scriptures saying Polygamy is a sin?. I mean at times I even feel like I could like/love 2 women but honestly I am totally fine with one and find it odd and unfair to women who are involved in polygamy.

There are no clear passages that demand one to teach that polygamy is sin - especially polygyny!

Respectfully

Upvote 0

Hermeneutico

Orthodox-Pentecostal
Aug 6, 2012
Fort Worth, TX
✟18,882.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
I believe polygamy is a sin if it is not a commandment from God.

Very interesting. 1 Jn_3:4 "Everyone practicing sin also practices lawlessness, and sin is lawlessness." Sin is practicing lawlessness. Practicing polygamy is not practicing lawlessness.

Respectfully

Upvote 0

Hermeneutico

Orthodox-Pentecostal
Aug 6, 2012
Fort Worth, TX
✟18,882.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Though the bible does not necessarily condemn polygamy, it doesn't recommend it either.

Hmmmm.... does the Bible recommend monogamy?

What it does state is that marriage is a lifelong spiritual and physical union between one man and one woman,

It does state that it is lifelong, I agree.

and both are equal in the marriage. Polygamy, I find its devaluing and goes outside the concept of equality within a marriage. Are two women or more equal to one man and vice versa?

A wife is to totally submit to her husband (Ephesians and 1 Corinthians make this abundantly clear). Yet, they are both equal - just different roles!

Here's what Jesus said: Mark 10:6-8 "But from the beginning of the creation, God 'made them male and female.' 'For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, 'and the two shall become one flesh'; so then they are no longer two, but one flesh."

Yes, each time a man marries a new wife, the two are one flesh. This works for polygamy because the woman is not marrying the other woman.

There is no mention of wives or husbands in plural sense in this passage. So lets keep it that way.

Logically, there is not prohibition in this verse!

Upvote 0

Hermeneutico

Orthodox-Pentecostal
Aug 6, 2012
Fort Worth, TX
✟18,882.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
I think this is a pretty good argument against polygamy:

[Triablogue: Polygamy Is Condemned By Scripture[/url]

I get the conviction that polygamy is wrong..of course the flesh loves the idea, which is another sign of its immorality.

I wish i had time to deal with all the weak arguments in that article, but for now, I will just respond to those on this thread.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hermeneutico

Orthodox-Pentecostal
Aug 6, 2012
Fort Worth, TX
✟18,882.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
There may not be a 'direct' mention of polygamy in the bible, but it's covered by some other things we're not supposed to do. Such as lust after another woman/man (depending on your gender, naturally). After all, to want more than one wife, you've got to commit adultery... I really don't see why anyone would want more than one wife (yes I'm assuming from a male perspective) other than lust.

1. Actually, there are a few direction Scriptures about polygamy.

2. It is never condemned in Scripture.

3. Scripture never defines adultery as a man having more than one wife.

4. Hmmmm.... Define lust from the Scriptures?

Respectfully

Upvote 0

Hermeneutico

Orthodox-Pentecostal
Aug 6, 2012
Fort Worth, TX
✟18,882.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Matt 5:28 Yeshua said "But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart."

You may want to study this passage more, because the translation makes it appear that a single man looking at single woman can commit adultery. Perhaps there is another way at understanding it! There is btw... but I am hoping that we put on our thinking caps before we quote random Scriptures defending a position.

Respectfully

Upvote 0

Hermeneutico

Orthodox-Pentecostal
Aug 6, 2012
Fort Worth, TX
✟18,882.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
It is not addressed in Scripture and doesn't really seem to be a big deal to the Lord. Check out the Old Testament leaders and see how many had multiple wives. Some even had concubines.

Polygamy is addressed in Scripture - in positive ways, in fact, both in Leviticus and Deuteronomy.

Upvote 0

Hermeneutico

Orthodox-Pentecostal
Aug 6, 2012
Fort Worth, TX
✟18,882.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Although polygamy is mentioned in the Bible I'm not aware of any scripture which endorses it.

Exodus 21:15-17; Deuteronomy 21:15-17:

There are passages such as 1 Timothy 3:2 where a bishop is directed to be the husband of ONE wife.

"one" in this passage can be legitimately translated as an indefinite article "a" or as "first." The New Testament has examples of both.

Respectfully

Upvote 0

Hermeneutico

Orthodox-Pentecostal
Aug 6, 2012
Fort Worth, TX
✟18,882.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
The man of God should take a keen interest in the moral teachings of God and doing so is hardly sophistry.

But, if one is presenting opinion, then it is sophistry.

You're making grand assumptions about what I 'reason'. God is quite concerned about our moral behavior and gives us guidelines on how we should behave but He gives us great liberty in action when we have those guidelines as the basis for the things we choose to do.

Yes, God has many good guidelines - some refer to the practice of polygamy!

Then address the question posed 'is polygamy a sin?' I see a lot of words but no substance from the Bible in your tirade here.

No, polygamy is not sin. It violates no known Law in Scripture!

Did God give men plural wives or was that just a practice of men that the Bible takes note of?

Both!

This is like the reasoning that God endorses slavery because He gave men guidelines on its practice. Slavery is not of God but a despicable practice of men and is an example of men doing something that God hates and refusing to give the practice up so God gives instructions that the slavers might be more willing to obey thereby improving the lot of the slaves.

Slavery isn't sin either, for that matter. In fact, one will notice that all studies on employer/employee relationships are all based upon the slavery passages. Why? Because working for another is a form of "light" slavery.

Then start citing the Bible to show what it does teach about polygamy.

Deuteronomy 21:15-17; Proverbs 30:21-23:Deuteronomy 25:5-10; Exodus 21:7-10; Ezekiel 23:1-5,7,11; Jeremiah 3:1-14

Yet Jesus said if a man lusts after a woman in his heart, he is an adulterer (Matthew 5:28).

Read it more carefully. A single person "lusting" after another single person cannot be committing adultery - it doesn't fit the definition.

It is adultery for a bishop. (1 Timothy 3:2)

No, not really... One Greek scholar made it clear that by the time the New Testament was written, "hina" (one) the root form of the feminine "mia" (one) was being used as an indefinite article "a". Furthermore, "mia" is actually translated "one", "a" and "first" in the New Testament. It is unlikely that Paul would casually tell everyone that polygamy was no longer valid when talking about another topic - elder qualification - to change what the Law, which he called good, and holy, made clear was ok. NEVER USE ONE SCRIPTURE AS A DOCTRINAL PROOFTEXT!

Respectfully

Upvote 0