Fort Worth, TX
✟18,882.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Yada yada yada. If I am wrong in my understanding of what scripture teaches about polygamy, there is no penalty for my being the husband of only one wife. If the polygamist is wrong and is in reality committing adultery whenever he sleeps with his multiple wives (beyond the first), well, NO ADULTERER will inherit the kingdom of God.

Speculation is not theologically sound. The fact of the matter is that Scripture defines adultery, and IT IS NOT sleeping with more than one wife. If that were the case the majority of Old Testament men of God will be in hell - period!

Scripture does not contradict Scripture!

Upvote 0

Hermeneutico

Orthodox-Pentecostal
Aug 6, 2012
Fort Worth, TX
✟18,882.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
First, adultery is a man having relations with a woman that is married to another man. Lev. 20:10

It is not adultery for a man to have relations with an unmarried maiden, it is fornication.
It is not adultery for a married man to take another wife if the woman is an unmarried maiden.
Jesus calls it lust for a man to look upon a married woman with unjust desire.
That is the same as the commandment of God to not covet. covet = lust = unjust desire. It is not lust for a man to desire an unmarried maiden.
Therefore, a married man may look upon an unmarried maiden as desirable to have as a wife. he may take her as a wife in addition to the wife he already has. He now has two wives. Exodus 20:10

Scripture requires that he not take away from his first wife to provide for his second wife. He is to provide for all of his wives. Exodus 21:10

If his first child is born by his hated wife and his second child is born by his loved wife, the child of the hated wife still gets the primary inheritance. Deu 21:15

Scripture even gives guidelines as to who qualifies as a polygynous wife. Lev 20:14

Very good and sound!

Upvote 0

Hermeneutico

Orthodox-Pentecostal
Aug 6, 2012
Fort Worth, TX
✟18,882.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
If a married person has sex with someone who is not lawfully his wife (or her husband), they are committing adultery.

Scripture please?

Yet Jesus said if a man lusts after a woman in his heart, he is an adulterer (Matthew 5:28).

The Greek word for woman there can legitimately be translated wife, which actually agrees with the word "adulterer." If not, the word would be fornication. Study it for yourself. Any Greek dictionary will make this abundantly clear!

It is adultery for a bishop. (1 Timothy 3:2)

No... study the Greek word "mia" throughout the New Testament. It is not required to be translated "one."

Hmmm, my Bible doesn't limit lust to simply looking to a married woman, one can certainly lust after an unmarried woman.

Actually, the Bible encourages marriage if one is struggling with passions - Read 1 Corinthians 7!

Well, Exodus 21:10 perhaps but than this was a direction to the children of Israel, not to Christians.

If the Law isn't for everyone, how is it that we are condemned as sinners for not following it. You may want to dig deeper on this topic!

Upvote 0

Hermeneutico

Orthodox-Pentecostal
Aug 6, 2012
Fort Worth, TX
✟18,882.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Wait a minute let's turn this around. Today women make a lot of money, more than some men. Does is sound right that women should have many husbands?
In our society the plurality of mates is already rampant with divorce and just
living togeather. Is there anything else the world can offer that hasen't been
made to "look right" in society's eyes?

No... Scripture does not allow for women to have more than one husband - sorry!

Upvote 0

Hermeneutico

Orthodox-Pentecostal
Aug 6, 2012
Fort Worth, TX
✟18,882.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Although I'm sure it's not common, I would say not a sin.

Hebrews 13:4
Marriage is honourable in all, and the bed undefiled: but whoremongers and adulterers God will judge.

They are all married.

What really needs to be considered is this... A man is marrying each woman. The woman are not marrying each other. Therefore, this may actually may cause defilement of the bed.. The tenor of Scripture suggests that marriage is between a man and a woman and that this marriage consists of sexual behavior.

Upvote 0