USA
✟301,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Is anything similar to Jan 6th Godwin's Law now (when referenced by those who aren't supposed to speak of it)?
No, but when you explicitly make your thread about comparing the (Tennessee & J6) then it that comparison (or any false equivalence) is exactly what the thread is about.

Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟635,056.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I could be wrong; but it appears like this calendar is the scheduled bills coming before the joint session. Shifting events, like the school shooting and the protests that followed resulted in two things being brought forward quickly. The first is the bill to harden schools and the second is the Governor's budget for 2023. Both of these things had been in the works before the shooting; but there was a need to expedite them. Here is a link to a news release from the Governor that came out the next Monday (April 3). As far as a source, I heard it in an interview with one of the Republican members of the Tennessee legislature. A quick search could not uncover a link online to that. Here is one of the more balanced accounts of the events that I could find in The Tennessean. Again, I could be wrong; but it seems like the timing would support what the Republican member said.
The claim that, "the bill that was before the Tennessee legislature that they interrupted was to approve funding for more school resource officers.." can be proven to be untrue.

The House had just finished taking the vote on HB 0559/ SB 638, which addresses school vouchers for private schools. The measure was announced passed.
The next bill called, after the recess, was HB 0765 /SB 1006 which is concerning the lengths of state highways and county roads authorized by statute for off-highway vehicle use;

The video is here:
time stamp 2:01:29 and following. You can hear the SOH call the member out of order and call for recess.
The only thing recorded during the event is the "recess" screen, there is no audio.

During the expulsion proceedings part of Pearson's defense was, "I didn't disrupt proceedings between 10:50 to 11:42 because it wouldn't have been possible. We were in a recess," Linkage
None of the actual "disruption" is recorded nor indexed in the official video.
The only video is cellphone video taken by a GOP House member (which is also a violation of House rules btw).

I live in Nashville. There was expanded local coverage of the day's events. The item I saw, likely on the local CBS affiliate, was the claim that GOP lawmakers/leaders were ignoring the students/teachers that had gathered and were working the regularly scheduled events and that is what prompted the 3 to address the gallery during the recess. Unfortunately, that bit I've been unable to search out of archives.

As your follow-up post noted - the Governor's School Safety legislation was certainly NOT being addressed on March 30, it was still in committee, being assigned to the calendar.
The Republican member you saw was exaggerating for effect (aka lying).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tz620q

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2007
Carmel, IN
✟575,716.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The claim that, "the bill that was before the Tennessee legislature that they interrupted was to approve funding for more school resource officers.." can be proven to be untrue.

The House had just finished taking the vote on HB 0559/ SB 638, which addresses school vouchers for private schools. The measure was announced passed.
The next bill called, after the recess, was HB 0765 /SB 1006 which is concerning the lengths of state highways and county roads authorized by statute for off-highway vehicle use;

The video is here:
time stamp 2:01:29 and following. You can hear the SOH call the member out of order and call for recess.
The only thing recorded during the event is the "recess" screen, there is no audio.

During the expulsion proceedings part of Pearson's defense was, "I didn't disrupt proceedings between 10:50 to 11:42 because it wouldn't have been possible. We were in a recess," Linkage
None of the actual "disruption" is recorded nor indexed in the official video.
The only video is cellphone video taken by a GOP House member (which is also a violation of House rules btw).

I live in Nashville. There was expanded local coverage of the day's events. The item I saw, likely on the local CBS affiliate, was the claim that GOP lawmakers/leaders were ignoring the students/teachers that had gathered and were working the regularly scheduled events and that is what prompted the 3 to address the gallery during the recess. Unfortunately, that bit I've been unable to search out of archives.

As your follow-up post noted - the Governor's School Safety legislation was certainly NOT being addressed on March 30, it was still in committee, being assigned to the calendar.
The Republican member you saw was exaggerating for effect (aka lying).
Thank you for the further info. I saw you were from Nashville and thought you probably had a better context than I did. The local news channels are usually the least biased news we get. I don't think members should be expelled except for really egregious behavior, which I don't think this qualifies as; but we are in different times. Everything gets hyperpartisan at hyperspeed. Hopefully the Tennessee legislature will get back to cooler heads and more productive work. Did you find this whole episode with the expulsion caused a further divide in the community at a time when it should be coming together?

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,731.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
She was probably there to congratulate them for not stopping.
“They’re not going to stop,” Harris said at the time. “This is a movement, I’m telling you. They’re not going to stop and everyone beware, because they’re not going to stop. They’re not going to stop before Election Day in November and they’re not going to stop after Election Day. Everyone should take note of that on both levels. They’re not going to let up and they should not and we should not.”
That's when she was brazenly encouraging the rioters to not stop, right?

Oh wait..

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟654,030.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
That's when she was brazenly encouraging the rioters to not stop, right?

Oh wait..
One woman's protest is another one's riot.
If you claim to be able to hear "right wing dog-whistle", then why not the left wing version?

Upvote 0

NxNW

Nov 30, 2019
NW
✟195,268.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
If you claim to be able to hear "right wing dog-whistle", then why not the left wing version?
Words have meaning, no matter how you try to confuse the issue.

• Agree
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟212,929.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Okay, the left surely has its dog-whistles as well, but but you can't just assign meanings willy-nilly; they have to be used and understood by the party in question. I can't think of any off-hand but I'm open to suggestion....

A "dog whistle" is an oblique reference. How does the left refer to the not-left indirectly? Who are we afraid to call by name?

Upvote 0