May 6, 2007
near San Francisco
✟17,619.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Define nice-ness, Mr. OP.

I believe that Jesus Christ wants us to feel as many POSITIVE emotions as we can.
In His GREAT Commandment, Jesus asks us to Love God, and Love others.

So, this would imply that Jesus Christ doesn't want us to be MEAN to others.
If a person is NOT being mean, usually that means he is being nice.
Or, that the person is being neutral (also an OK way to be).

I think that being nice is part of Loving others.
If I am NICE to God, I will not use His name in vain.
If I am NICE to God, I will Love other people.

So, in THAT way, nice-ness is a Virtue.
Be NICE to God . . . He likes it that way.

Upvote 0
D

dies-l

If it is (which i am guessing) it is certainly not limited to christianity.

I don't know of any virtues over which Christianity has a monopoly. I do believe that all virtue is from God, who is most properly understood through Christian teachings. But, this is not to say that a Buddhist, a Hindu, or even an atheist cannot, at times, be virtuous, nor is it to say that a Christian is always virtuous, or even necessarily more virtuous than a non-Christian. In referring to something as a Christian virtue, I am merely saying that the thing is consistent with Christian teaching.

Upvote 0

Floatingaxe

Apr 14, 2007
Ontario, Canada
✟22,726.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I don't know how many times I've watched TV newscasts where they've caught a rapist, wife beater, child beater, arsonist, thief, swindler or murderer and neighbours, friends and family members all say, "But he was such a nice guy!" :doh: :swoon: :sigh:

Nice is subjective and relative. It is empty and hollow in meaning by today's standards. It may have been nice for Beaver's day. Ahhh, those were the days...

Upvote 0
D

dies-l

I don't know how many times I've watched TV newscasts where they've caught a rapist, wife beater, child beater, arsonist, thief, swindler or murderer and neighbours, friends and family members all say, "But he was such a nice guy!" :doh: :swoon: :sigh:

Nice is subjective and relative. It is empty and hollow in meaning by today's standards. It may have been nice for Beaver's day. Ahhh, those were the days...

Just because someone says that doesn't make it true, nor does it mean that the term is inherently subjective. By the same reasoning, "Christian" would be considered subjective, relative, and hollow. After all the vast majority of Americans report that they are Christians, but only a very small number actually attend a church and/or profess beliefs that are even remotely consistent with the Christian faith.

By way of definition, I tend to use the word "nice" as a synonym for "kind": of a good or benevolent nature or disposition, as a person.

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟798,283.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Gal 5:22 "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, Gal 5:23 Meekness, temperance:..."

Though believers are all at different places in relationship to achieving these.

[FONT=&quot]This article by Brigitte Pellerin, The Ottawa Citizen, might be of interest to you -
http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/news/o...9a-323e75ae7c80[/FONT]

Upvote 0

dayhiker

Mature veteran
Sep 13, 2006
MA
✟220,077.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Very goood point Float.

I think when they say that they are just saying up till I got this bad news about the person, I'd only experience with them as a nice person. There are even people in my life that find me not nice and other people that find me nice. I'm the same person to all thse people yet they react differnt to who I am.

dayhiker

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

annie1speed

Mar 16, 2007
Alabama
✟16,139.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I have the same experience, dayhiker. My husband tells me I need charm school sometimes.

When I first read the OP I thought nice is another word for kind, and kindness is part of the fruit of the spirit. So yes.... But kindness to me is deeper than nice. Nice is almost superficial whereas kindness is a manefestation of love. Perhaps nice is actually another word for ummmmmm polite.

Does that make sense?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.