Nyköping
✟6,144.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Well you know as the saying goes, all work and no play... I guess the Christian definition of fun is that God has atoned for our sins. So God requires a blood sacrifice. Thanks to Jesus I don't have to go out of my way to get one, I can just accept his offering. That's nice. Yay. Then what? I haven't really wrapped my head around why he requires this. So I'm missing all the fun? Or my sins aren't big enough, for this to be enjoyable? I have to do more sins, to experience his forgiving grace? What am I missing?

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,849.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Well you know as the saying goes, all work and no play... I guess the Christian definition of fun is that God has atoned for our sins. So God requires a blood sacrifice. Thanks to Jesus I don't have to go out of my way to get one, I can just accept his offering. That's nice. Yay. Then what? I haven't really wrapped my head around why he requires this. So I'm missing all the fun? Or my sins aren't big enough, for this to be enjoyable? I have to do more sins, to experience his forgiving grace? What am I missing?
-
Why God requires blood as the atonement for sin. Because when Adam sinned, that is what God choose as the payment for sin. Since God is God, He God can choose what he wanted as the payment for sin.

Upvote 0

oikonomia

Nov 11, 2022
Pittsburgh
✟64,366.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I enjoy Christ.
I enjoy how rich Christ is in every imaginable situation and scenario life throws my way.
As He enjoyed living by His Father we enjoy living by Him.

As the living Father has sent Me and I live because of the Father, so he who eats Me, he also shall live because of Me. (John 6:57)

I enjoy the finest of all skills and of all art forms. That is the "art" of turning over each area of my heart to this
living and perfect Person. I enjoy learning to allow Him to make His home in my heart through faith. Then with others
of like mind we are rooted for growth and grounded for building up to explore the vast dimensions of Christ's love.

Those dimensions are like the infinite dimensions of the universe.
How broad - the breadth,
How long - the length,
How high - the height,
How deep - the depth.

They are infinite as Christ's perfect Person is like the vast expanse of the very universe.
It will take us eternity to enjoy Him.

That Christ may make His home in your hearts through faith, that you, being rooted and grounded in love,
May be full of strength to apprehend with all the saints what the breadth and length and height and depth are
And to know the knowledge-surpassing love of Christ, that you may be filled unto all the fullness of God. (Eph. 3:17-19)

Then I enjoy bringing the topmost portion of my weekly enjoyment of Christ to a table meeting
and overflowing with others who have the same life. There is a rich feast of celebration to start each new week.

Our table meeting is on the first day of each new week - "the Lord's day" - the first day of the new week.

Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟736,252.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sin brings death. You certainly do not need to sin "more" to experience more grace. If you do that you will end up in hell. God however is not a cosmic killjoy, he allows us to have our hobbies, and do what we enjoy. For me personally, I enjoy computer games, and have a game here or there.

Reactions: whitab
Upvote 0

jonojim1337

Oct 20, 2023
Nyköping
✟6,144.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
-
Why God requires blood as the atonement for sin. Because when Adam sinned, that is what God choose as the payment for sin. Since God is God, He God can choose what he wanted as the payment for sin.
More specifically Adam became as God and knew "good and evil", whatever that means. For that, the condition was that he would die. So the atonement takes him out of that condition, since God would be a liar, if one knew good and evil, and did not die, despite him saying that.

So first of all, what particular knowledge of good and evil is being talked about here? Am I supposed to die because I know that giving someone in need of something is good, and being cruel to someone is bad? How is that even fair? And what's the alternative to this knowledge?

Upvote 0

AlightSeeker

Nov 16, 2023
Canton
✟6,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Fun to me use to be sin. It still is. But God showed me the folly in that. I use to have fun with my hobbie too.. Now I have fun by talking about God's word. I meditate on scripture. That is fun to me now. Maybe I'll get back to that hobbie one day, I dont know, but it really can't replace the fun I'm having with Gods word.

Upvote 0

jonojim1337

Oct 20, 2023
Nyköping
✟6,144.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I enjoy Christ.
I enjoy how rich Christ is in every imaginable situation and scenario life throws my way.
As He enjoyed living by His Father we enjoy living by Him.

As the living Father has sent Me and I live because of the Father, so he who eats Me, he also shall live because of Me. (John 6:57)

I enjoy the finest of all skills and of all art forms. That is the "art" of turning over each area of my heart to this
living and perfect Person. I enjoy learning to allow Him to make His home in my heart through faith. Then with others
of like mind we are rooted for growth and grounded for building up to explore the vast dimensions of Christ's love.

Those dimensions are like the infinite dimensions of the universe.
How broad - the breadth,
How long - the length,
How high - the height,
How deep - the depth.

They are infinite as Christ's perfect Person is like the vast expanse of the very universe.
It will take us eternity to enjoy Him.

That Christ may make His home in your hearts through faith, that you, being rooted and grounded in love,
May be full of strength to apprehend with all the saints what the breadth and length and height and depth are
And to know the knowledge-surpassing love of Christ, that you may be filled unto all the fullness of God. (Eph. 3:17-19)

Then I enjoy bringing the topmost portion of my weekly enjoyment of Christ to a table meeting
and overflowing with others who have the same life. There is a rich feast of celebration to start each new week.

Our table meeting is on the first day of each new week - "the Lord's day" - the first day of the new week.

I consider the life of my fellow church goers to be completely uneventful and boring. Otherwise, I could've asked what it is that they do, that's working so well for them. That being said, no one is actually doing the works of Christ, either. At best there is some kind of humanitarian activity, such as giving the old food from the stores to the poor, but the heathens do that too, completely without the power of the Holy Spirit :oops:

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,849.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
More specifically Adam became as God and knew "good and evil", whatever that means. For that, the condition was that he would die. So the atonement takes him out of that condition, since God would be a liar, if one knew good and evil, and did not die, despite him saying that.

So first of all, what particular knowledge of good and evil is being talked about here? Am I supposed to die because I know that giving someone in need of something is good, and being cruel to someone is bad? How is that even fair? And what's the alternative to this knowledge?

...God created Adam and Eve and just like with satan. God set up a time in which Adam and Eve were to live and obey God. If they accomplished this with out sinning, they would have be confirmed in their righteous and would have not died spiritually or physically and their offspring would have be born without sin.

...But as seen they did not accomplish the requirement God set for them, so they fell (sinned) and their offspring (humanity) fell.

...So to get back to God, God knew man was hopeless to do this by man's own efforts. So God stated He would send a redeemer a Messiah who is God Himself, so that man's only requirement by God to be restored back to God. Is to believe in The Messiah, Jesus for God's free gift of Eternal Life and that is not fair. That is perfectly fair and full of grace for God to only require that of sinful man to be restored back to God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟608,349.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

That Adam would be like God was a lie. Adam experienced spiritual death and eventually physical death by disobeying the only rule God gave him to obey. What brings us joy is our relationship with our loving Father and Saviour. The creator of the universe wants you to have a loving and fulfilling relationship with him. If you were the only person in the world to accept his salvation, he still would have become the man Jesus to suffer and die for you. That's how much God loves you. Receiving that love and giving it back is the greatest joy there is. Everything else pales in comparison.

Upvote 0

jonojim1337

Oct 20, 2023
Nyköping
✟6,144.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
That Adam would be like God was a lie. Adam experienced spiritual death and eventually physical death by disobeying the only rule God gave him to obey. What brings us joy is our relationship with our loving Father and Saviour. The creator of the universe wants you to have a loving and fulfilling relationship with him. If you were the only person in the world to accept his salvation, he still would have become the man Jesus to suffer and die for you. That's how much God loves you. Receiving that love and giving it back is the greatest joy there is. Everything else pales in comparison.
No the Bible specifically says their eyes were opened, and they saw they were naked, and later God confirms in his own words: “The man has now become like one of us, knowing good and evil. He must not be allowed to reach out his hand and take also from the tree of life and eat, and live forever.”

So the lie was not that he would not become as God and know good and evil, but that he would not die. Somehow there is still a possibility of eating the tree of life while in this state, but it's simply not allowed.

Upvote 0

oikonomia

Nov 11, 2022
Pittsburgh
✟64,366.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So the lie was not that he would not become as God and know good and evil, but that he would not die. Somehow there is still a possibility of eating the tree of life while in this state, but it's simply not allowed.
It was not allowed for man to take in the life of God until Christ accomplished redemption.
This tree of life certainly means God coming into man.

This thread started on the question of Christian fun or enjoyment (?)

Christ being taken in as the reality of the tree of life is surely the top enjoyment.
In Him was life, and the life was the light of men. (John 1:4)
In Christ the life of God is found.

Jesus said to them, I am the bread of life; he who comes to Me shall by no means hunger, and he who believes into Me shall by no means ever thirst. (John 6:35)
The life of God in Christ takes care of the hunger of man and the thirst of man for enjoyment.

But whoever drinks of the water that I will give him shall by no means thirst forever; but the water that I will give him will become in him a fountain of water springing up into eternal life. (John 4:14)
As the Spirit of life He quenches our thirst and even gushes up within us unto eternal life.

He who believes into Me, as the Scripture said, out of his innermost being shall flow rivers of living water. (John 7:38)
Again as the Spirit of life He becomes multiple rivers of living water quenching the numerous areas of our thirsting soul.

Jesus said to her, I am the resurrection and the life; he who believes into Me, even if he should die, shall live; (John 11:25)
He is the resurrection and the life which overcomes death of every kind.

But these have been written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that believing, you may have life in His name. (John 20:31)
John wrote his gospel that we might believe and have the life of God in us in His name.

And he showed me a river of water of life, bright as crystal, proceeding out of the throne of God and of the Lamb in the middle of its street. (Rev. 22:1)
At the climax of the revelation of the whole Bible we see Christ as the Spirit of life dispensing Himself into the entire city of New Jerusalem.
He reigns by pouring out His life into man from the seat of divine administration - His throne.

What an eternal enjoyment we can foretaste today. That is Christ as the tree of life, the water of life, for the eternal city of life.

Upvote 0

oikonomia

Nov 11, 2022
Pittsburgh
✟64,366.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No the Bible specifically says their eyes were opened, and they saw they were naked, and later God confirms in his own words: “The man has now become like one of us, knowing good and evil. He must not be allowed to reach out his hand and take also from the tree of life and eat, and live forever.”
The whole bible surely reveals that God WANTS man to be like Him. But that by the proper method of union, mingling, incorporation and God indwelling us.

If God did not want man to be like Him He would not have made man in His own image and according to His own likeness (Gen. 1:26,27)

And God said, Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of heaven and over the cattle and over all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps upon the earth.
And God created man in His own image; in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them.

Am I missing something? God created man to be like God - expressing God and ruling in dominion on His behalf over His creation.
But the method of this is for man to be united not with Satan but united with God.

Though it may not be so apparent by just reading Genesis one and two, in light of the rest of the Bible it is apparent.
The Triune God ever created man in His image that He as divine life could be dispensed into man.

The illustration of a glove in the image of a human hand I find helpful.
A glove is made in the image of the thing which it is suppose to contain - a human hand.

Man was made in the image of God for the purpose of containing God.

Genesis chapter one shows this man as a vessel created in God's image and likeness.
Genesis two shows how God would come into this vessel - by dispensing His life into man as "food."

In other words to "eat" God that our fabric would become filled with what we eat.
In the vanacular "You are what you eat."
God created man as a vessel to contain Him as the divine life. This is something even the angels did not have
the capacity for. How unique is man.

Upvote 0

oikonomia

Nov 11, 2022
Pittsburgh
✟64,366.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There is the saying of "work hard, play hard" which means to me having a balance of both is important. I'm sure God doesn't have anything against having hobbies & interests.
That is true.

Reactions: whitab
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

oikonomia

Nov 11, 2022
Pittsburgh
✟64,366.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Everything else pales in comparison.
Everything else the Apostle Paul considered refuse, dogfood in comparison.
We wanted to gain Christ. He wanted gain more and more of Christ.

But what things were gains to me, these I have counted as loss on account of Christ.
But moreover I also count all things to be loss on account of the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord, on account of whom I have suffered the loss of all things and count them as refuse that I may gain Christ (Phil. 3:7,8)

• Winner
Reactions: DragonFox91
Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟608,349.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Yes that's right. I'm pleading the 'it was late and I was tired' defence ;)

Upvote 0

DragonFox91

Dec 20, 2020
Michigan
✟215,871.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Christians enjoy doing most of the same things for fun the pagans do. Is there something you think God doesn't think his children should think is fun you want to do & don't think the grace of God is enough?

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟755,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
As long as a believer remembers the Lord’s commandments for ourselves and others ( Romans 13:8-10 etc.)there are plenty of things that can be done. Go for pizza, visit the zoo, go bowling, go to a movie, ice skate, play or see a baseball game, go hiking etc. etc.

Upvote 0