Is it wrong for guys to be too nice?

this_is_new

Feb 15, 2011
✟7,706.00
Faith
Agnostic
Why is the question just directed at guys? Is there something different about women, where this isn't a problem for them?

lol let me tell you it can be a big problem. I was the "nice" girl at a all girls school during high school. I can't compare how it is for boys... but for me I realized that being considered too "nice" is a weakness that others will exploit.

Oh and the question is exactly what I'd expect for one of Gabe's threads.

Upvote 0

Mling

Knight of the Woeful Countenance (in training)
Jun 19, 2006
Here and there.
✟9,635.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Why is the question just directed at guys? Is there something different about women, where this isn't a problem for them?

Thank you--it's nice to see that question coming from a guy. The main difference I see is that it's more acceptable--sometimes even expected-- for women to behave this way.

Upvote 0

wanderingone

I'm not lost I'm just wandering
Jul 6, 2005
New York
✟30,779.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I've got this friend whose employees and wife walk all over him. He is one of those nice guys who tries to please everyone but himself. I think this is wrong. He should be more honest with himself and others about how he really feels. Or, is he being a good person by doing this?

I didn't see anyone ask for clarification.

What do you mean by letting people "walk all over him"

How do you know he is only pleasing others and not himself and isn't being honest about how he feels?

I think there are people who may appear to be "too nice" when what they are is strong enough to know when to yield and when not to. My parents were often viewed as being "too nice" but they were dedicated Christians who believed in service. They gave of their time, their earnings, their skills, and sometimes were viewed as allowing themselves to be "used" but they were also happy and content with their works. They didn't feel used and they didn't allow their service and gifts to others to put their home and family at risk or cause them to go against their own beliefs. (I shouldn't use the past tense, my dad has passed, my mom has not and she continues to be a woman who believes in being a servant)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Cabal

Jul 22, 2007
London
✟30,012.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
You're liberal, aren't you? That means you have more than one Bible to choose from. I only have the one God gave us.

Last time I checked, liberals read printed Bibles, they just have a different interpretation of it than you. No need to strawman.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BloodyRachel

May 10, 2011
✟599.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
US-Republican
As opposed to what? An Audio bible? A Braille bible? :doh: (I can head slap too...)

What version?
What language?
What publisher?
What Edition?

It really doesn't matter. The Bible is the Bible. Yes, I see you can head slap. Can you also take an eye for an eye?

Upvote 0

wanderingone

Jul 6, 2005
New York
✟30,779.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Last time I checked, liberals read printed Bibles, they just have a different interpretation of it than you. No need to strawman.

I don't know what she means by only one choice; regardless of which doctrine one adheres to within Christianity there are multiple versions of the Bible.

Upvote 0

wanderingone

Jul 6, 2005
New York
✟30,779.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It really doesn't matter. The Bible is the Bible. Yes, I see you can head slap. Can you also take an eye for an eye?

No actually it's not. Depending on what version you may be adhering to books of the bible that other Christians do not. Shall we even get into the issue of what languages you read? I'm going to bet you don't read the language of the original scribes. So in your opinion all bibles are the same regardless of what books are included, how the text is translated? what footnotes are included?

Upvote 0

BleedingHeart

Feb 1, 2011
Grand Blanc, Michigan
✟2,049.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

The guy has a point. What exactly WERE you talking about when you compared the Bible(s) liberals read with the one given to you by God?

I'm just straight up confused.

Upvote 0