Is it unethical to take shrooms?

mycologist

Jun 15, 2010
✟15,112.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I have taken shrooms in the past, not without caution. I said "No" when I was first offered them, because I wanted to know what I would be taking first. I have read that the drug, psilocin, in it is non-toxic, and that there is no physical addicting properties to it, and that in fact a tolerance is built up by taking it, requiring a period of sobriety before you can take it again.

I wasn't sure what to do, and so I checked the one infallible source. The Holy Bible. This is what I came up with: Genesis 11-12. That seemed good enough for me. God put them here for us to experience, right?

I know there are passages in the Bible that condemn poisons, but the "problem" most have with shrooms is that it causes hallucinations, and it is non-toxic.

Can anyone help me here? I have friends that say it's non-christian, but I know that more and more people are creating their own moral codes and calling it Christian. The Bible doesn't condemn i...

Chris81

Servant to Christ
Jun 2, 2010
Iowa
✟11,860.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
This is a very interesting question; however, I really do not know whether you are going to get a straight answer from anyone on this post. I tend to keep an open mind on things of this nature. I have no experience with shrooms, I will ask some questions and give you my opinion. The first question I would ask is, what type of behavior does it elicit? Would it cause you to behave in a way that is any way reckless or vulgar? The bible gives every indication that it was alright to drink wine in a responsible manner, hey it was Jesus who turned water into wine. The bible was however very specific about warning against drunkenness. The bible may be silent regarding taking shooms specifically but you will really need to pray about this, seek guidance from god, and use your own judgement. I myself would be very uncomfortable taking anything that would give me hallucinations. What ever your decision, use sound judgement and please keep yourself safe.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,546.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Taking drugs is on the same level as smoking and drunkedness. It is not a sin in itself, but it is what it is doing to the physical body. Jesus said that it is not what goes into a person that defiles them (Matthew 5:11), but what comes out in the form of verbal abuse, anger, hypocrisy, etc.

But the Scripture says that our bodies are the temple of the Holy Spirit (1 Corinthians 6:19), so we must consult the Holy Spirit about how we treat it.

Upvote 0

JasperJackson

Sinner and Saint
Dec 31, 2007
Adelaide
✟16,893.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
As per my signature, "whether you eat, drink or whatever you do, do it all to the glory of God."
Do you really think you getting drunk or go on a trip will glorify God? I think sometimes we can have a mindset of "ok, what can I get away with before I'm sinning?" It's avoiding a negative, rather than striving for a positive. Thankfully we have Jesus for when we fall short of glorifying God with our lives.

Upvote 0

b.hopeful

Sharp as a razor, soft as a prayer
Jul 17, 2009
St.Louis metropolitan area
✟18,662.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
How about un-necessary and un-wise??

I'm very pro-legalization...but I'm also of the mindset that just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you SHOULD.

What would the purpose be? Then I would ask myself if there is a healthy edifying alternative.

Upvote 0

ittarter

Non-Metaphysical Christian Critic
Apr 14, 2009
Oklahoma, United States
✟10,047.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Can anyone help me here? I have friends that say it's non-christian, but I know that more and more people are creating their own moral codes and calling it Christian. The Bible doesn't condemn i...

It depends on the motivation for experimenting with natural hallucinogens in the first place.

If you're trying to see the world through a new set of eyes, so to speak, I don't see how that would be consonant with the Christian worldview.

Would anyone like to discuss that, or suggest another reason for taking shrooms that might be more legitimate?

Upvote 0

GrowingSmaller

Muslm Humanist
Apr 18, 2010
✟49,085.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
I klike the muslim stance, nothing ythat clouds the mind, alcohol included. The problem with hallucinogenss especially is the potential for long term unwanted effects. My friend took some and a few months later he started hallucinating again at bedtimes. This happened to another too and he was diagnosed schizophrenic.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mycologist

Jun 15, 2010
✟15,112.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
How about un-necessary and un-wise??
Roller-coasters, dessert, and other recreational activities are also un-necessary, we could go without out them, does that mean that we should avoid them? No, they are enjoyable.

just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you SHOULD.
I took them at first for the experience, not because I could, but because hallucinations seemed fun. I did it again because I enjoyed it, not simply because I was able to.

What would the purpose be? Then I would ask myself if there is a healthy edifying alternative.
The purpose is to hallucinate, and it is perfectly healthy, shrooms are non-toxic. If there was a safe (as in legal) alternative I would probably use that instead, but as far as I know there isn't.

Upvote 0

Monarchist

Aug 13, 2007
South
✟8,770.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You are assuming that mushrooms (psilocybin) will cloud the mind, perhaps it is possible that the mind could be clearer after a mushroom trip full of purpose?

Spoken like a true agnostic with one foot planted in athiesm and the other in anything but Christianity

Upvote 0
M

montgolfier

Spoken like a true agnostic with one foot planted in athiesm and the other in anything but Christianity

Interesting response, although I can assure you both my feet are presently balanced on the fence along with the rest of my body :)

I'd love to hear how you justify 'a few beers' (a drug called ethanol) being better than a small dose of 'shrooms' (a drug called psilocybin)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Monarchist

Aug 13, 2007
South
✟8,770.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A few beers does not cause me to halucinate never mind "trip" or slur my words
But like I said the OPs question justifies the answer
There was nothing balanced about your answer. You wouldnt have even considered the Christian biblical based position from your agy position

Upvote 0

ivebeenshown

Expert invisible poster and thread killer
Apr 27, 2010
✟17,740.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Roller-coasters, dessert, and other recreational activities are also un-necessary, we could go without out them, does that mean that we should avoid them? No, they are enjoyable.

1 Corinthians 10:23
All things are lawful for me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but all things edify not.

1 John 2:15
Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.

Upvote 0
M

montgolfier

A few beers does not cause me to halucinate never mind "trip" or slur my words

Yes, it's about amount of substance taken isn't it, a small dose of mushrooms doesn't cause you to hallucinate, just as a small dose of beer wont necessarily cause people to drunkenly cause havoc in a town center at night, stripping off their clothes and fighting

There was nothing balanced about your answer. You wouldn't have even considered the Christian biblical based position from your agy position

I'm not aware of any verse in the bible that forbids ingesting psychedelic fungus, if there is please enlighten me

Upvote 0

Morphane

Jan 7, 2009
✟15,263.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
When I was a kid, there was this show called Monkey. It was about a Chinese priest sent to India to retrieve scriptures. The priest had three sidekicks: a monkey, a pig, and a fish monster. They faced all kinds of demons that wanted to prevent their journey from succeeding, because then the demons would be overthrown

The monkey had a magic cloud, so he could have flown to India if he wanted, but the priest insisted they walk. They were on a pilgrimage - flying to India was besides the point.

This one time though, demons tricked them into thinking they had arrived in India. They were given fake scriptures and sent back on their way. It would have been a complete disaster if monkey hadn't wised up to the trick.

So yeah, I've read Terence McKenna. I've read Alan Watts's transcendental experience on LSD in Joyous Cosmology. If I had access to such mind altering substances, I would be tempted.

In the end though, I think the surest way to India is on foot.

Upvote 0

dayhiker

Mature veteran
Sep 13, 2006
MA
✟220,077.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I don't see any problems with hallucinates as long as one knows what they are doing. I'd put them in the same category as drinking, gambling and other non-violent activities. Personally I don't do many of those as they don't profit me. But I do get a lot of going to a dance or spending days hiking thru the mountains so I do those when the opportunity is right.

With any of these type of activities I think one should know oneself and understand why they are attracted to an activity.

Quite a few preachers make a lot some of these things. I personally think God enjoys seeing us have a good time in His creation. So my default position is enjoy. I don't see God as having a default position of stay away.

dayhiker

Upvote 0