Is it ok for a Christian to be into fantasy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IisJustMe

He rescued me because He delighted in me (Ps18:19)
Jun 23, 2006
Blue Springs, Missouri
✟23,494.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I've played D&D since 6th grade and haven't summoned any demons or killed anyone in a Stuckey's.
And we're all very grateful, too, Kelly. LOL! I'm kidding. My point, exactly. You've remained grounded in your faith, and that is what is important in all our endeavors, whether for the Kingdom, our own enterprise, or just for fun,

Upvote 0

Nadiine

Apr 14, 2006
Obama: 53% deserve him ;)
✟292,219.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I've played D&D since 6th grade and haven't summoned any demons or killed anyone in a Stuckey's.
Well, no offense, but that doesn't mean you have an ideal spiritual relationship just becuz you haven't "left God" in the literal sense. I don't know your situation; your closeness w/ God, your attitude on obedience, going to church, or any other details (which are none of my business)

But you don't know what that may have opened up or caused in the spiritual realms - hardships it has caused... I dont' know your spiritual condition or beliefs in depth to consider D&D "healthy" becuz you claim it hasn't harmed you any - many of us don't realize what the harm is & what it caused in different ways.

I know 3 people right now who played demonic games and HAVE had serious problems due to them; including the breakup of a Christian family just this past year.

So I have to disagree on this one for different reasons.
And I'm not here to judge your spiritual condition either - I'm simply making the general statements that it doesn't give these games a green light.

Upvote 0

Nadiine

Apr 14, 2006
✟292,219.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I think fantasy is fine - my issue against it is only when it turns to sorcery & glamorizes evil or deals with the demonic.
I think games that involve the occult/demons are dangerous to a Christian especially. And I have played them myself; I owned quite a few & those are the very things that started me down my backslidden path & helped break down our marriage before I got into my spiritual (& physical) crisis.

I have a personal experience with demonic games so I won't be witnessing that they're harmless, I can't becuz I got wiped out from them.

Regular fantasy - I think can be fine.

& I haven't judged anyone here about it & won't. If you disagree & want to play that stuff, be my guest, I just offer my warning about it; nothing more.

Upvote 0

Kelly

Dungeon Master
Mar 20, 2003
USA
Visit site
✟24,334.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I can see where you are coming from, but honestly all the gaming I've ever been involved with my whole life has been very casual and more of a social thing to do with friends.

I am actually looking to start a gaming small group at my church. I want to use the RPG "Testament: Roleplaying in the Biblical Era". The setting would be during the time of Judges, just after Gideon has set up his ephod in Ophrah.

Upvote 0

Nadiine

Apr 14, 2006
✟292,219.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I can see where you are coming from, but honestly all the gaming I've ever been involved with my whole life has been very casual and more of a social thing to do with friends.

I am actually looking to start a gaming small group at my church. I want to use the RPG "Testament: Roleplaying in the Biblical Era". The setting would be during the time of Judges, just after Gideon has set up his ephod in Ophrah.
Hay, thanks for understanding. It was no "slam" by me against you in my post. I'm a game loving FANATIC - I wish I had more time to play them.

Right now I'm in a strategy type game "Lords of the Realm"... now that I can't play the ones that have occult stuff, I'm seriously lacking for fun games I like to play. LOL

How ironic, me & my sister were actually looking to create a game concept for a Christian game... but everything we came up with had violence or something evil in it (outside of the arcade genre) that we figured most Christians would have a problem with so we ditched the idea.
I wanted to do an end times game like we were on the run after missing the [alledged] Rapture lol...
I had it where we could steal food, kill our enemies, lol
DOOM.
heh

Upvote 0

AgapeBible

Aug 26, 2007
USA/Florida
✟44,479.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
My problem is I'm lazy, and I tend to be really critical of my own writing. I tend to give up on stories, start them over and start brand new stories to often. if I were more organized then I'd get more accomplished. I know I'm suppose to read my Bible every day and pray but I don't do this.. i need to drop bad habits and replace them with good ones.

Upvote 0

AgapeBible

Aug 26, 2007
USA/Florida
✟44,479.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I know how dangerous the occult, Satan and his demons are! I was in a hurricane a few years back and some strange stuff happened to me after the hurricane, I went crazy and believe my neighbors had placed a voodoo curse on my family and I started to believe all kinds of crazy weird things I began to think horrible things about my own family none of it was true thank God.
I learned a lesson about messing with the occult and about trusting in God. And about my own pride and attitude. And not to give the devil a foothold. I still have frightening dreams about demons, evil spirits, curses and Satan sometimes.

Upvote 0
Jun 15, 2007
✟15,251.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
J.K. Rowling created the "Harry Potter" world and was vilified for glorifying "magic" but she wove a message of love and good triumphing over evil throughout every story. She made it clear (if the reader was not prejudiced by the subject matter) that God is essential to that triumph.

J.K. Rowling is a Christian. I think that speaks for itself. The gospel doesn't have to be read straight out of the Bible. Many folks won't even pick one up, so how are they going to get it otherwise? As others have said, within reason, and always keeping in mind who we are in Christ and what tools the enemy may use against us, there is nothing wrong with the use of fantasy arts of all kinds -- writing, drawing, video, etc. -- in praising and worshiping God and doing His will. Even with dragons (sorry).

Movies influence our younger generation. And if the parents don't know how to raise their kids or don't raise them in the right way, guess who is going to get the blame? The movie makers. Did you ever think when children watch these movies that they get influenced in doing witchcraft? Yes, they do.

If J.K. Rowling is a Christian, why couldn't she make a Christian movie or a movie that has nothing to do with evil things?

Its because evil sells. Did you ever notice that?

Very few positive movies sell and when you compare negativity to positivity, negativity scores higher each time.

And thats another thing that I dislike about certain Christians (or so-called Christians). You cannot take evil and make it good. This is not a world full of adults but its full of children as well.

Is this how we want our generation to be influenced?

Do you want to tell your kids or siblings that something evil is ok when its portrayed to seem good?

Upvote 0

HypnoToad

*croak*
Site Supporter
May 29, 2005
✟82,302.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
First, before criticizing a game like D&D, one should be clear as to how the game works. I know this from experience. Once, a friend and I were talking about D&D, and he commented that he believed the game was satanic. I asked him why, and he indicated it was because players use magic and recite incantations. Having played the game, I quickly corrected him. At no time do players recite any incantations to use a spell. A player simply states something like, "my character is using such-and-such spell," and that's it, no chanting, no incantations, no praying to spirits or any such thing. After knowing that, he couldn't really come up with a reason why the game was "satanic" anymore. So, a simple lack of understanding may be behind a lot of Christians' objections.

Second, I believe typical fantasy games are, like just about everything else, neither "good" nor "bad" - they are neutral. They can be used in a good manner, and they can also be abused - it's the individual person and how they use it that determines if it's "good" or "bad".

If someone has a normal grasp of reality, fantasy games are no trouble at all. It's when people get obsessed with them and start trying to make them more real than they are that the games become bad.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Cabal

Jul 22, 2007
London
✟30,012.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Movies influence our younger generation. And if the parents don't know how to raise their kids or don't raise them in the right way, guess who is going to get the blame? The movie makers. Did you ever think when children watch these movies that they get influenced in doing witchcraft? Yes, they do.

Sweeping statements aside, they really don't, on the whole, and those that do usually have "issues" to begin with. (Unless they're incredibly young, in which case, parental discretion is advised)

If J.K. Rowling is a Christian, why couldn't she make a Christian movie or a movie that has nothing to do with evil things?

Maybe because evil exists? Good vs. evil is kinda boring without the evil part, it's one of the oldest storlylines in the world. And I think being Christians we should realise that good vs. evil is a prominent theme of existence, to say the least. Why deny something like that exists? And Harry Potter is a definite good vs. evil story, with the main protagonists clearly delineated. Hey, good even wins in the end!

Very few positive movies sell and when you compare negativity to positivity, negativity scores higher each time.

:sigh: define "negative," and "positive," please. Film is SO much more subtle than that.

And thats another thing that I dislike about certain Christians (or so-called Christians). You cannot take evil and make it good. This is not a world full of adults but its full of children as well.

Questionable....most things are neutral, it's how they are used that is evil/good.

Do you want to tell your kids or siblings that something evil is ok when its portrayed to seem good?

Do you want to tell your kids that evil doesn't exist in the world? Do you want them to remain sheltered their entire lives?

Upvote 0
Jun 15, 2007
✟15,251.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Sweeping statements aside, they really don't, on the whole, and those that do usually have "issues" to begin with. (Unless they're incredibly young, in which case, parental discretion is advised)

Again, when parents don't do their job, kids take chances. They don't have to be incredibly young. I know kids (very smart too) that are 13-16 that wants to do witchcraft because of Harry Potter. Movies influence.

Do you want to tell your kids that evil doesn't exist in the world? Do you want them to remain sheltered their entire lives?

This statement is irrevelant. Again, do you want to tell your kids or siblings that something evil is ok when its portrayed as good? Or let me be specific. Do you want to tell them that witchcraft is ok if its for doing it out of good?

Upvote 0

Cabal

Jul 22, 2007
London
✟30,012.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Again, when parents don't do their job, kids take chances. They don't have to be incredibly young. I know kids (very smart too) that are 13-16 that wants to do witchcraft because of Harry Potter. Movies influence.

Suffice it to say, not all kids are wanting to do witchcraft because of these books. There is magic in LOTR, there is magic in the Narnia series? Should we reject those too? Should we reject all literature with "questionable content?" Should we ban cars because a few people don't know how to handle them?

A discerning mind is capable of knowing the difference between fact and fiction, even at a young age. This is the exact same argument I hear as a gamer against computer games - the simple truth is, it's not real. If you have problems telling the difference, then you don't just need parents, you need a psychologist.

This statement is irrevelant. Again, do you want to tell your kids or siblings that something evil is ok when its portrayed as good? Or let me be specific. Do you want to tell them that witchcraft is ok if its for doing it out of good?

Nice dodge.

Because the sort of witchcraft in HP DOESN'T EXIST?! It is so far removed from actual witchcraft it's ridiculous.

Besides, you can read about something in a book, that doesn't make it evil automatically, nor does it make you guilty by association. The Bible contains scenes of God-ordained graphic violence. Does that make the Bible evil?

Upvote 0
Jun 15, 2007
✟15,251.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
This is not about fact or fiction, its about influence. Whether or not if its real, they are still going to try it. It doesn't matter if its fantasy witchcraft. What makes you think that they won't attempt to try the real thing?

And your comparison to the Bible, God was bringing justice so that by no means can be called evil or compared to it.

Again, its not about fact or fiction, its about influence.

Google the crimes committed in REAL LIFE because of video game Grand Theft Auto.

INFLUENCE.

Upvote 0

IisJustMe

He rescued me because He delighted in me (Ps18:19)
Jun 23, 2006
Blue Springs, Missouri
✟23,494.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
This is not about fact or fiction, its about influence. Whether or not if its real, they are still going to try it. It doesn't matter if its fantasy witchcraft. What makes you think that they won't attempt to try the real thing?
What makes you think they will? Like all things, in depends on upbringing, You can scoff at that all you want, but I raised my two kids -- a son and a daughter, the first now a junior in college about to enter seminary to become a youth pastor, the other living with her mom for the first time in 12 years in order to lead her to Christ -- and I've never had to be concerned about what either of them were doing. Its about trust. I let them know I trusted them, that I believed they would make good decisions based on their early acceptance of Jesus' gift of salvation, and that if there was anything questionable or over the line, they could call me and I would be nonjudgmental and come help bail them out, if necessary. Your assumptions that young people are going to make bad decisions are not based in the reality of good parenting from a biblical perspective. If the kids don't trust the parents, of course the bad decisions they make will naturally lead to bad consequences, but that is the result of a lack of trust, not of the outside influence of a weaker relationship (i.e., friends, television, movies, video games, etc.)
Google the crimes committed in REAL LIFE because of video game Grand Theft Auto.
Compared to the crimes that were committed without any influence of video games, they ae minuscule, practically nonexistent from a statistical viewpoint. And again, you claim great faith in "influence" by the world and totally discount the "influence" of the parents. You can't have it both ways. If one is a strong influence, the other can be also. If you're going to be a legalist, though, I guess you have to give greater weight to negative influence to make your POV valid.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Cabal

Jul 22, 2007
London
✟30,012.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats

Have you ever actually played GTA or read HP? Or are you just jumping on several well-jumped-on bandwagons? If not, you should try them, I promise you won't end up sacrificing things to the Dark Lord by the end.

And you still haven't answered my general question - if HP is bad, then by the same extension LOTR and Narnia are both bad. If a few bad apples use cars to commit crimes, then we should outlaw cars.

Upvote 0

Cris413

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 20, 2007
Texas
✟56,828.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
I personally do not care for the Harry Potter series nor anything else that promotes witchcraft like Charmed and Buffy the Vampire Slayer...which romanticizies vampirism and such...(Shows which when I was walking outside God's will for my life...I absolutely loved but now can't seem to bring myself to watch anymore) :scratch:

I loved Bewitched and I Dream of Jeanie as a kid...but those were much simpler times then. I did, however, grow up with an intense curiosity for the occult..and yes..considered Wicca...Praise God...He had other plans for me. :amen:

I have a huge concern with the way God is being systematically removed from our culture and the truth, as I see it, is that our children simply don't have the spiritual protection they once had when prayer was allowed in school and parents were more involved in their day to day lives and spiritual up bringing.

My feeling is we have systematically become desensitized to the dangers of the occult when witchcraft and such is portrayed in such a "good" light. These witches and warlocks are our new "heros".

Anyone see "Fallen" :doh: The heroic Nephilim born, The Redeemer" to redeem all the Fallen and the rebel angels that helped him and the bad, bad angels of God sent to stop them.

Our youth embrace things now that we were not even remotely aware of at the same age 30 years ago.

Anyone been to any of the Goth websites? Tragic what these kids are into at very young ages. Not to mention they are all conveying how absolutely miserable they are and take pride in their misery. Heartbreaking.

The real problem is...IMHO...that young minds are left unattended for far too long without the guidence desparately needed to keep these things in the proper context as they are flooded with far, far too much information.

I'm not saying every child or teen that is in to Harry Potter or Charmed and the like will run off to join a Wiccan Coven or start hanging out at vampire clubs or some such.

IMHO..there is a significant difference between fantacy and "magical" settings... and witchcraft.

The Chronicles of Narnia are a perfect example. The witch was bad...Aslan was good and a rightful representation...even though the story took place in a fantasy land with magical properties.

Same with LOTR. The heros of the story were good by strength of character and a willingness to sacrifice one's self for the good of others. (With... I might add... very little magical intervention and the magical power of the ring obviously had it's spiritual reprecussions)

Even so...if the "good" witches and "good" vampires win in the end...still promoting witchcraft...and playing down the all too real ugliness of the occult.

We need to have a bit of discernment here. Those that are grounded in the Word might be just fine to partake of these things...but we must consider...not everyone is grounded in the Word or may not have any spiritual foundation at all.

Fairy princesses, knights in shining armour, dragons and unicorns...mystical lands far far away...all well and good but lets not turn a blind eye to how our culture is embracing what was once considered evil is now considered good.

To me...it comes down to:

Php 4:8 Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy--meditate on these things.
Php 4:9 The things which you learned and received and heard and saw in me, these do, and the God of peace will be with you.

Reactions: desmalia
Upvote 0

Cabal

Jul 22, 2007
London
✟30,012.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
(General comment)

LOTR. Gandalf is a good wizard. (Bible says sorcerers should be executed.)
Narnia. Aslan, a good character is resurrected (woops, Messianic imagery) via MAGIC. (Bible says magic is wrong.)

Both of these are generally accepted as OK. Both of the mythoses (is that right?) of these worlds contain both "good magic" and "bad magic" - the exact same as HP.

Why is HP not as accepted?

This is why the HP is eeeeebil thing bugs me - it's such a double standard. Either all of these works are OK, or none of them are.

Upvote 0
Jun 15, 2007
✟15,251.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
What makes you think they will? Like all things, in depends on upbringing, You can scoff at that all you want, but I raised my two kids -- a son and a daughter, the first now a junior in college about to enter seminary to become a youth pastor, the other living with her mom for the first time in 12 years in order to lead her to Christ -- and I've never had to be concerned about what either of them were doing. Its about trust. I let them know I trusted them, that I believed they would make good decisions based on their early acceptance of Jesus' gift of salvation, and that if there was anything questionable or over the line, they could call me and I would be nonjudgmental and come help bail them out, if necessary. Your assumptions that young people are going to make bad decisions are not based in the reality of good parenting from a biblical perspective. If the kids don't trust the parents, of course the bad decisions they make will naturally lead to bad consequences, but that is the result of a lack of trust, not of the outside influence of a weaker relationship (i.e., friends, television, movies, video games, etc.)Compared to the crimes that were committed without any influence of video games, they ae minuscule, practically nonexistent from a statistical viewpoint. And again, you claim great faith in "influence" by the world and totally discount the "influence" of the parents. You can't have it both ways. If one is a strong influence, the other can be also. If you're going to be a legalist, though, I guess you have to give greater weight to negative influence to make your POV valid.

Please read all of my comments. You came in on the end of the movie.

Upvote 0

Cris413

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 20, 2007
Texas
✟56,828.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
(General comment)

LOTR. Gandalf is a good wizard. (Bible says sorcerers should be executed.)
Narnia. Aslan, a good character is resurrected (woops, Messianic imagery) via MAGIC. (Bible says magic is wrong.)

Both of these are generally accepted as OK. Both of the mythoses (is that right?) of these worlds contain both "good magic" and "bad magic" - the exact same as HP.

Why is HP not?

This is why the HP is eeeeebil thing bugs me - it's such a double standard. Either all of these works are OK, or none of them are.
I'll respond (generally)

As I stated...I "personally" did not care for HP and never said it was ebil.

Just trying to convey a little general discernment into such things...such as recognizing how the embracing of occult related "entertainment" is progressing in our culture.

IMO...Gandalf...and his wizardry was secondary to his and the other characters personal sacrifice. Gandalf's message was quite clear that his wizardry was not the answer...but personal sacrifice as well as standing strong against the seductive powers of the ring.

I also consider there is a difference in having a wizard as a character and the main portion of the storyline being devoted to children being taught sorcery...again...just my opinion and my preference.

And I musta missed the incantation or perhaps you can tell me the name of the character that resurrected Aslan by magic...perhaps I need to read the book again.

Again...it's about discernment.

Many seem to consider most things as it relates to them personally...failing to realize there are billions of people in the world...and not all of them have the same spiritual advantages that believers have.

It's all well and good that one who is grounded in the Word can have discernment and remain focused on the Lord...regardless to what they read or watch or indulge in....the same cannot be said for everyone...even those that know the Lord but are yet spiritually immature.

It's all well and good that believing parents raise their children according to biblical foundations, are active in their lives and give them guidance...the same cannot be said for latch-key kids and kids who's parents frankly do not participate in raising them.

Simply because I personally preferred the story line, the message and the presentation of LOTR and Chronicles of Narnia over Harry Potter...is not to say that someone else could not enjoy the works and keep a right perspective...

But let's not be so focused on ourselves that we forget there is a world of unsaved and lost souls out there that do not have that same discernment.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.