be like a flower and turn your face to the sun
Jan 20, 2012
✟21,341.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Is it?
It doesn't mean that guys who punch walls are abusive, right?
Does that mean they're violent or is it a 'guy thing,' because I've read in an article that girls are more prone to self-harm while guys are more likely to punch walls when they're upset.

Nom De Guerre

Who amongst you doesn't see life as permanent?
May 6, 2005
Location, Location.
✟39,609.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Idk, the last time I was that angry was ages ago now... however, I did punch something this morning out of pain (I rolled my ankle). If I'm angry I just go for a walk, if it's something that makes me furious that'll get dealt with asap.

Upvote 0

Jupiter Drops

be like a flower and turn your face to the sun
Jan 20, 2012
✟21,341.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Interesting.

I think the reason why there's such difference between how men and women handle themselves these ways when getting upset is because of society's standards.

Society usually tell women to live up to impossible standards. Society tells women to be like supermodels and pop singers or else you're a loser. Obviously not many women live up to those standards, so they take it out on themselves because they hate themselves for not being part of that standard. When they do take it out on themselves, they gain more attention from families and strangers because the scars are visible. So some of those women end up hurting themselves more in order to gain more attention because it dulls their pain of not getting attention as a 'pretty lady.'

Men are allowed to express only few emotions. Society tells men that they should never cry when the occasion comes up. Men are supposed to express anger, so they end up expressing anger unto objects or even people at times.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Miss Spaulding

Virtus semper viridis
Jan 6, 2005
The Tropics
✟109,434.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Pretty sure I've punched a wall before rather than, say, cut myself.

However, whether or not men are prone to punching walls and women are prone to injuring themselves, that kind of behavior is not normal. One needs help if that's their choice method of handling anger or depression or whatever it is they're going through.

Upvote 0

sk8brdkd

Audio A Sk8er
Feb 25, 2006
Wayne
Visit site
✟73,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Is it?
Does that mean they're violent or is it a 'guy thing,' because I've read in an article that girls are more prone to self-harm while guys are more likely to punch walls when they're upset.

I punch stuff when I'm angry n I'm not a guy. Punching stuff releases anger n other bad emotions

Upvote 0

PunkyChick

Philistine
Nov 25, 2011
Over the Rainbow
✟20,138.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
in my experience violent men are always something to be cautious about.

also in my experience self harm isn't for attention. most people i've known, myself included, hide their scars. to suggest that the main motivation is attention is really messed up and tends to make things worse for the person when said to them or around them.

i'm sorry, i'm not trying to argue or anything but i just can't stand when something that serious is written off like that. you may as well hand them a razor and a pat on the back.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Um... it could be a red flag, maybe. But then again, it could just mean he was really upset. I've punched a wall hard enough to knock a hole in the plasterboard once, but that was a pretty emotional day. I have never, ever been abusive to my wife or daughter. But for me it was an exceptionally unusual thing to do. If it's something he does regularly, I'd be concerned. Not necessarily saying he's abusive, but it could be indicative of some sort of emotional problems that he could use some help with.

Upvote 0

Saucy

King of CF
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2005
Michigan
✟843,179.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Well I don't know. Anger really isn't my thing. I've rarely been angry, much less angry enough to punch a wall. I would be very careful to be around someone who finds themselves in a position where they would need to punch something.

BUT consider what it was that got them to that level. If someone hurt my kid...you better believe I would need to take my anger out on a wall before I hurt them back. There's a difference between righteous anger (as Jesus displayed) and someone who is just angry and bitter and does that often.

I've been around enough abusive people to know that they will soon take it out on innocent people who don't deserve to be the focus of their wrath.

So consider what it was that got them angry, why they didn't find other means to calm down (like going for a walk or just closing their eyes and counting to relax) and the frequency that they find themselves that angry.

Upvote 0

ArchTison

May 16, 2014
✟125.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Is it?

Better a wall than to take it out on a person or on the road or somewhere else.

Being angry about something and taking it out physically in a non dangerous way (non-dangerous except perhaps to the person taking it out on a wall) doesn't equal an abusive person.

Reminds me that I need to plaster a certain door eventually...

Upvote 0
P

Paulie079

This is how I would look at it...

If he punches walls regularly when he gets mad, he has a serious rage problem, and I would have every reason to think that his behavior would eventually translate into hurting people.

If he has punched a wall out of anger only a few times in the past, that's a different thing entirely. I think I may have punched a wall once before, but not hard enough to really do anything to the wall. If a guy punches anything out of anger, though, that's a clear sign of rage even if it's for just a moment, and it's something that he needs to check himself on. It's okay to be angry, but in most cases it is not okay to be enraged and act upon it physically.

Reactions: Owlette
Upvote 0

SaphireOwl

Who are you?Whoo whoo whoo whoo! Yeah, I know
May 15, 2014
✟1,488.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Is it?

It's stupid. Walls don't give but bones in the hand do.

If a guy has a tendency to punch walls when he's angry I'd say it means he's abusive. He's taking out his anger on an inanimate object when he punches a wall. But that doesn't mean with the right trigger he wouldn't hit someone.

I tend to avoid people who beat up walls as a surrogate. And I'd never date someone like that.

Upvote 0