Is it normal for guys to punch walls?

N

Nanopants

“Be angry, and do not sin”: do not let the sun go down on your wrath, nor give place to the devil. -Eph 4:26,27

And then you have Jesus flipping tables and driving people out of the temple with a whip. Context is relevant- He was dealing with harsh, slanderous people who were exploiting the poor and eventually hung Him on a cross.

Of course that doesn't justify angry behavior in all situations. In a different environment, where people had put away slander, harsh words, and selfish tempers, then it doesn't belong.

IOW, don't flip tables for losing a game of monoply, but if someone's mugging your girlfriend, yes perhaps anger is justified.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gadarene

-______-
Apr 16, 2012
London
✟82,747.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Labour
Is it?
It doesn't mean that guys who punch walls are abusive, right?
Does that mean they're violent or is it a 'guy thing,' because I've read in an article that girls are more prone to self-harm while guys are more likely to punch walls when they're upset.

How is punching a wall not self-harm? It's not like the wall gets hurt.

Upvote 0
T

theophilus777

It's stupid. Walls don't give but bones in the hand do.

Yes its stupid, but to say that human hands can't overcome walls? That's rather incorrect.

If a guy has a tendency to punch walls when he's angry I'd say it means he's abusive.

Blowing off steam to make sure you don't hurt anyone is bad. Check.

Courts here actually consider it to be domestic violence so you're not alone in your assessment, but I think that refers to adults who are supposed to be responsible parents, rather than juveniles.

He's taking out his anger on an inanimate object when he punches a wall. But that doesn't mean with the right trigger he wouldn't hit someone.

Nor does it mean that someone who has never expressed anger before won't go off the deep end and really hurt as many as possible, as much as possible. There's just not a solid connection between any of these things. Anyway to the title question - no its not normal at all. And what is far closer to normal is for someone to be so thoroughly unable to throw a punch that even a simple wall would actually hurt them. I would think that would make a man deficient, rather than being of any benefit. What does "quit ye like men" mean? Rather like "be ye angry and sin not," no? Be able to defend yourself and/or your loved ones if need be, but also be able to control yourself and be a gentleman. And certainly not a bully.

Upvote 0

AztecSDSU

Apr 14, 2014
✟1,989.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Punching a wall isn't a good idea because mostly all it's going to accomplish is breaking your fingers. Venting emotions like anger through punching something like a heavy bag, or a pillow, is a pretty common therapeutic technique at this point. So I'd say if someone punches a wall it demonstrates that at the very least they understand that directing their anger towards inanimate objects is acceptable. Directing towards another person physically is not.

Upvote 0

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,176,814.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yeah, I've learned my lesson.

Now I usually just insult sjw's on tumblr.

It doesn't have to be physical violence.. just the thought of making one of them cry is therapeutic enough.. lol.

Upvote 0

Gadarene

-______-
Apr 16, 2012
London
✟82,747.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Labour
Yeah, I've learned my lesson. Now I usually just insult sjw's on tumblr. It doesn't have to be physical violence.. just the thought of making one of them cry is therapeutic enough.. lol.

Therapeutic? It's barely even challenging.

I'm just kidding.

I don't use tumblr

Upvote 0

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,176,814.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Therapeutic? It's barely even challenging.

I'm just kidding.

I don't use tumblr

Yeah, its not challenging but still satisfies my anger. Lol.

Bless you that you don't use tumblr.. you can easily lose your mind over the massive stupidity on that site.

Upvote 0

Gadarene

-______-
Apr 16, 2012
London
✟82,747.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Labour
Yeah, its not challenging but still satisfies my anger. Lol. Bless you that you don't use tumblr.. you can easily lose your mind over the massive stupidity on that site.

I read it, but I don't post there particularly often.

I read sjw-critical tumblrs when I need reminding of what sanity looks like.

What bothers me is when I see tumblr-stupid popping up in more serious locations about six months afterwards. You'd think we'd make the use of the advance warning.

I also have returned, again, to twitter, and am immediately reminded why I hate twitter.

Upvote 0