Is it evil to notice that the Bible does not want us to eat poison or toxic food?

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Read the actual post - and you will see that I never claimed that God told Moses that the Hebrews were prohibited from eating meat.

Details matter.
Hello Bob.

You said eating meat was bad, you need the scripture to support that.
Your church claims that eating meat is bad for you, the scripture please.

Upvote 0

tatteredsoul

Feb 4, 2016
New York/Int'l
✟14,624.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Noah was told to take the unclean animals by two's and the clean animals by 7's.

8 people on the ark. Eating just one unclean animal - results in species extinction in that case.

Is it your claim that all the unclean animals went extinct???

Clean animals by 7's gives them a food source.

unclean animals by 2's does not.

Worth repeating.

God likely knew Noah would realize what was good for food and what wasnt. Of course people became evil and forgot, so he had to send it in "writing." The law was written on the heart before it was written on paper, stone or scroll.

Upvote 0

Job8

Dec 1, 2014
✟21,583.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Is it evil to notice that the Bible does not want us to eat poison or toxic food?
What kind of a trick question is this?
(1) It is not evil to notice anything in the Bible.
(2) There is no mention about eating poison in Scripture.
(3) God protected Paul from the poison of snake venom when that was necessary.
(4) Christ warned us about the leaven of the Pharisees -- which was spiritual poison.

Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Rom 2
21 You, therefore, who teach another, do you not teach yourself? You who preach that a man should not steal, do you steal?
22 You who say, “Do not commit adultery,do you commit adultery? You who abhor idols, do you rob temples?
Hello Bob.

You quoted from Romans, you underlined the sections that you think are important.

For example, this is your quotation below.

Romans 2
23 You who make your boast in the law, do you dishonor God through breaking the law?

May I ask you who do you think is boasting in the law?

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
That is what the Jews of Christ's day kept trying to tell Christ and Paul. their primary concern was not rocking the boat.

But Christ and Paul were more "sola scriptura" than that.
No Bob, paul was always rebuking people for following the shadow instead of the reality. (Colossians 2) You have things twisted there. You really think that food can defile a person. Don't you see the spiritual teaching we are taught? The kingdom is not abouting and drinking. The reality is Christ. You are serving a shadow of the reality.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,111,359.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
in Genesis 7 Noah takes in the unclean animals by two's and the clean by 7's. Noah is not a Jew.
2 unclean, 14 clean animals
Is it your claim that God said this to Noah before the flood, during the flood? I think it was after the flood just before they disembarked from the ark.

Gen 9:3 Every creeping thing that is alive, to you it is for food; as the green herb I have given to you the whole;

Oh and have you noticed that most of what were the clean animals (animals used in sacrifices that God's people had been doing since Adam and Eve, or at least Cain and Abel) only give birth to one or two offspring at a time and have longer pregnancies, then those of the unclean animals. Most unclean have shorter pregnancies, can have several at a time, and will have more than one litter, etc. per yr. Most unclean animals reproduce quicker than the clean animals.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Travis93

Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2016
Lilesville NC
✟24,441.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
I agree with all the food laws such as the of clean and unclean meat (Leviticus 11), blood (Leviticus 17:10-14), animals torn by other animals (Exodus 22:31), boiling an animal in it's mother's milk (Deuteronomy 14:21), and animals that died of themselves (Leviticus 17:15, although this seems to be permitted for gentiles in Deuteronomy 14:21 I'd still rather not do it). But I see vegetarianism as just a choice, not binding one way or the other. Jesus ate fish (Luke 24:43), so it can't be a sin to eat meat in general. I don't judge vegetarians, I think it's a great fence around all the other food laws to make sure you don't break any of them, good job. You will be safe on judgement day in this regard:

Isaiah 66:15 For, behold, the Lord will come with fire, and with his chariots like a whirlwind, to render his anger with fury, and his rebuke with flames of fire.
Isaiah 66:16 For by fire and by his sword will the Lord plead with all flesh: and the slain of the Lord shall be many.
Isaiah 66:17 They that sanctify themselves, and purify themselves in the gardens behind one tree in the midst, eating swine's flesh, and the abomination, and the mouse, shall be consumed together, saith the Lord.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟914,074.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I agree with all the food laws such as the of clean and unclean meat (Leviticus 11), blood (Leviticus 17:10-14), animals torn by other animals (Exodus 22:31), boiling an animal in it's mother's milk (Deuteronomy 14:21), and animals that died of themselves (Leviticus 17:15, although this seems to be permitted for gentiles in Deuteronomy 14:21 I'd still rather not do it). But I see vegetarianism as just a choice, not binding one way or the other. .

Certainly it is a choice for health reasons. Meat is becoming increasingly dangerous to eat. This has not always been the case but as time goes on it is noticed as a problem -- not just by SDA health experts.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟914,074.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I notice that Noah was allowed to eat all meats.

Noah was told to take the unclean animals by two's and the clean animals by 7's.

8 people on the ark. Eating just one unclean animal - results in species extinction in that case.

2 unclean, 14 clean animals

Is it your claim that God said this to Noah before the flood, during the flood? I think it was after the flood just before they disembarked from the ark.

Genesis 7 is before the flood - telling Noah that animals go into the ark by 2's for unclean animals and by 7's for clean animals.

"2 Of every clean beast thou shalt take to thee by sevens, the male and his female: and of beasts that are not clean by two, the male and his female."
7 And Noah went in, and his sons, and his wife, and his sons' wives with him, into the ark, because of the waters of the flood.
8 Of clean beasts, and of beasts that are not clean, and of fowls, and of every thing that creepeth upon the earth,

Gen 9:3 Every creeping thing that is alive, to you it is for food; as the green herb I have given to you the whole;

And just as some plants are poison - so some animals in Gensis 7 and in Genesis 9 were stated to be unclean and others clean.

Gen 9
20 And Noah builded an altar unto the Lord; and took of every clean beast, and of every clean fowl, and offered burnt offerings on the altar.

Eating the unclean animals by two's --> extinction.
Eating the clean animals - by 7's --> a food source.

The Genesis text does not tell us what the difference is between clean and unclean -- it does not identify them. But in Lev 11 they are identified - and we are informed that only the clean were "for food". Moses' readers have access to both Genesis and Leviticus so it is no problem for them to find the meaning of the term.

Reactions: Travis93
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Genesis 7 is before the flood - telling Noah that animals go into the ark by 2's for unclean animals and by 7's for clean animals.

"2 Of every clean beast thou shalt take to thee by sevens, the male and his female: and of beasts that are not clean by two, the male and his female."
7 And Noah went in, and his sons, and his wife, and his sons' wives with him, into the ark, because of the waters of the flood.
8 Of clean beasts, and of beasts that are not clean, and of fowls, and of every thing that creepeth upon the earth,

And just as some plants are poison - so some animals in Gensis 7 and in Genesis 9 were stated to be unclean and others clean.

Gen 9
20 And Noah builded an altar unto the Lord; and took of every clean beast, and of every clean fowl, and offered burnt offerings on the altar.

Eating the unclean animals by two's --> extinction.
Eating the clean animals - by 7's --> a food source.

The Genesis text does not tell us what the difference is between clean and unclean -- it does not identify them. But in Lev 11 they are identified - and we are informed that only the clean were "for food". Moses' readers have access to both Genesis and Leviticus so it is no problem for them to find the meaning of the term.

Acts 15 is pretty clear, and the rest of the NT epistles are pretty clear. You can believe what you want.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟914,074.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Acts 15 is pretty clear, and the rest of the NT epistles are pretty clear. You can believe what you want.

No eating rats in Acts 15.

No eating rats in Lev 11.

No eating rats allowed and in Acts 15 that is extended to the Lev 17 command against eating meat with blood in it.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟914,074.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Such a clumsy thread title. No, it's not "evil" to notice something, but yes, it's wrong for any church to impose dietary restrictions on members who have been set free of such things by God's word in the Bible.

So then the Bible is "evil" in Lev 11???

Or is Isaiah 66 evil when it says that at the 2nd coming there are those among mankind condemned by God for eating mice?

How far does your "is evil" -- "is wrong" doctrine go in opposing the Bible?

Upvote 0

YESLORDIWILL

Have you not read? 1Sa 20-22, Ps 52
Oct 12, 2012
✟11,533.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Really? Show me

I don't know anything about the rats but James did say: my sentence is, that we trouble not them, which from among the Gentiles are turned to God: But that we write unto them, that they abstain from pollutions of idols, and from fornication, and from things strangled, and from blood.

...the rest they will learn over time at the synagogue on the Sabbath.

https://www.blueletterbible.org/kjv/act/15/19/s_1033019

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I don't know anything about the rats but James did say: my sentence is, that we trouble not them, which from among the Gentiles are turned to God: But that we write unto them, that they abstain from pollutions of idols, and from fornication, and from things strangled, and from blood.

No rats or any unclean meat restrictions in Acts 15. As far as the synagogue goes, I have read letters to the churches and it only reinforces the liberty found in ACts 15.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟914,074.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
BobRyan said:
No eating rats in Acts 15.

hint - the rat-gospel is a false gospel. That is not why Jesus died on the cross.

Really? Show me

Easy -- nothing in Acts 15 mentions eating rats.

I think we can all see this detail...

What is more -- all the Christians are "in the synagogues every Sabbath" hearing Moses preached. As we see both Jews AND Gentiles doing in Acts 13 Sabbath after Sabbath, and in Acts 17:4 Sabbath after Sabbath and in Acts 18:4 "every Sabbath"

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟914,074.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
What do you think James is telling the Gentiles to abstain from?

H

That is true -- As we see both Jews AND Gentiles doing in Acts 13 Sabbath after Sabbath, and in Acts 17:4 Sabbath after Sabbath and in Acts 18:4 "every Sabbath".

James mentions it -- because it is a key part of the Acts 15 solution.

Upvote 0