Is it evil to notice that the Bible does not want us to eat poison or toxic food?

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟908,542.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Hello Bob.

May I ask you for your informed opinion on a text in the New Testament?

Here is the text.

Acts 15
28 For it seemed good to the Holy Spirit and to us to lay upon you no greater burden than these essentials,
29 that you abstain from things sacrificed to idols and from blood and from things strangled and from
fornication. If you keep yourselves free from such things, you will do well. Farewell.

The Gentiles were instructed by the apostles to abstain from blood.

Lev 17 does indeed make that command against eating blood. And Acts 15 does affirm it. in Genesis 7 Noah takes in the unclean animals by two's and the clean by 7's. Noah is not a Jew.

But circumcision was just for Jews. Ephesians two points out that it is the dividing wall between the two groups - and even the non-Christian Jews refer to gentiles according to Ephesians 2 as the "non circumcised".

In Acts 13 it is gentiles that are showing up "Sabbath after Sabbath" in the Synagogue for gospel preaching.

In Acts 17:4 it is the gentiles that show up in the synagogue "Sabbath after Sabbath after Sabbath" for gospel preaching.

In Acts 18:4 it is the gentiles that show up "every Sabbath" in the synagogue.

Acts 15 does not say "do not take God's name in vain" as we both know. So how interesting that Lev 17 is being upheld in Acts 15 - but the command against "taking God's name in vain" is not mentioned at all.

A sure sign that Acts 15 is not "deleting all of the Bible"

Acts 17:11 "they studied the scriptures daily to SEE IF those things spoken to them by Paul -- were so".

instead of 'they deleted the scriptures daily as Paul instructed".

(Regarding Acts 15 - and Leviticus 17 prohibiting the eating of blood)

Correct, there can be no doubt that the apostles in Jerusalem have enforced this rule on blood.

Does your church enforce the decree of the apostles or not, Bob?

My church teaches that everyone should be vegetarians and that eating blood is bad.

Is this what you were asking?

Does this prove the OT has been deleted?

Hello Bob.

We are making some progress now, thank you for your honesty.

This reply of yours is exactly what I was asking for Bob.

Though the decree of the SDA church is not what the scripture teaches us Bob.

Here is what the scripture teaches.

Genesis 9
3 Every moving thing that is alive shall be food for you; I give all to you, as I gave the green plant.
4 Only you shall not eat flesh with its life, that is, its blood.

Meat is on the menu (every moving thing), but you must drain the blood before eating it.
As for Genesis 1 not being in scripture.

Here is what Genesis 1 says -

Gen 1
27 God created man in His own image, in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them. 28 God blessed them; and God said to them, “Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the earth, and subdue it; and rule over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the sky and over every living thing that moves on the earth.” 29 Then God said, “Behold, I have given you every plant yielding seed that is on the surface of all the earth, and every tree which has fruit yielding seed; it shall be food for you; 30 and to every beast of the earth and to every bird of the sky and to every thing that moves on the earth which has life, I have given every green plant for food”

We don't have the same "delete scripture" model that you seem to be using.

Notice that the Genesis 1 command - does not negate or delete Lev 16 - it fully conforms to it by not allowing any case for eating animal blood. Is this why you consider it against scripture?

1 Cor 3
16 Do you not know that you are a temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells in you? 17 If any man destroys the temple of God, God will destroy him, for the temple of God is holy, and that is what you are.

Eating meat today leads to increase risk for heart disease, obesity, cancer, diabetes.

"Eating meat kills more people than previously thought"

(NewsTarget) There is no more denying it. Meat contains highly toxic substances that are responsible for many deaths and diseases. Heavy meat consumption increases your risk of dying from all causes, including heart disease and cancer, according to a federal study conducted by the National Cancer Institute and featured in Archives of Internal Medicine on Monday.
http://www.naturalnews.com/025957_meat_eating_cancer.html

This is not considered the 11th commandment in the SDA church by any means - but we do not suggest turning a blind eye to the facts of nature or the responsibility you have not to drink or eat poison.

some plants are poison - we don't recommend those either.

Now back to Eph 6:2 - see next post.

Hello Bob.

Your not being entirely truthful Bob.

Hi David - I have to admit I do prefer to think of myself as being entirely truthful.

Historically, we have learned that everything is toxic;

David -- really. Misdirection again?

What we do know is some plants are edible and others are poison. I think we can take that to the bank - and most school children would agree with us on that point.

If you want to argue that all plants kill and all foods are poison, all are toxic... I will let you start a thread on that topic and wage that lonely war as you wish.

Next you will be telling us that if you drink 20 gallons of fresh water in 5 minutes you will die - so water is also toxic and nothing should be considered off limits since we all drink water.

For now - I am just going to stick with the obvious common sense statements as I have given them.

it is only the dose that separates the toxic
from the non-toxic. Even water is toxic if a large amount (4–5 liters) is consumed.

oh no wait! you just did do that!! hahaha - that is pretty funny!

thanks. :)

meat is only harmful if eaten in 'heavy'
quantities.

By contrast we have --

http://www.pcrm.org/health/cancer-resources/diet-cancer/facts/meat-consumption-and-cancer-risk

Meat Consumption and Cancer Risk
The World Health Organization has determined that dietary factors account for at least 30 percent of all cancers in Western countries and up to 20 percent in developing countries. When cancer researchers started to search for links between diet and cancer, one of the most noticeable findings was that people who avoided meat were much less likely to develop the disease. Large studies in England and Germany showed that vegetarians were about 40 percent less likely to develop cancer compared to meat eaters.1-3 In the United States, researchers studied Seventh-day Adventists, a religious group that is remarkable because, although nearly all members avoid tobacco and alcohol and follow generally healthful lifestyles, about half of the Adventist population is vegetarian, while the other half consumes modest amounts of meat.

This fact allowed scientists to separate the effects of eating meat from other factors. Overall, these studies showed significant reductions in cancer risk among those who avoided meat.4 In contrast, Harvard studies showed that daily meat eaters have approximately three times the colon cancer risk, compared to those who rarely eat meat.

A number of hypotheses have been advanced to explain the connection between meat consumption and cancer risk. First, meat is devoid of fiber and other nutrients that have a protective effect. Meat also contains animal protein, saturated fat, and, in some cases, carcinogenic compounds such as heterocyclic amines (HCA) and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAH) formed during the processing or cooking of meat. HCAs, formed as meat is cooked at high temperatures, and PAHs, formed during the burning of organic substances, are believed to increase cancer risk. In addition, the high fat content of meat and other animal products increases hormone production, thus increasing the risk of hormone-related cancers such as breast and prostate cancer.

In 2007, the American Institute for Cancer Research (AICR) published their second review of the major studies on food, nutrition, and cancer prevention. For cancers of the oesophagus, lung, pancreas, stomach, collorectum, endometrium, and prostate, it was determined that red meat (beef, pork, or lamb) and processed meat consumption possibly increased cancer risk. For colorectal cancer, a review of the literature determined that there is convincing scientific evidence that red meat increased cancer risk and that processed meat, saturated/animal fat, and heavily cooked meat were also convincing of increased risk.5

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟908,542.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Hello Bob.

You still have not supplied the scripture to support the idea that eating
meat is prohibited. If you make the claim that meat itself is unclean,
then you must prove it with the scripture.

Read the actual post - and you will see that I never claimed that God told Moses that the Hebrews were prohibited from eating meat.

Details matter.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟908,542.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
The American Diabetes Association recommends that people should avoid intake of sugar sweetened
beverages to help prevent diabetes. Sugar-sweetened beverages include beverages like: regular soda,
fruit punch, fruit drinks, ...(www.diabetes.org/diabetes-basics/myths/#sthash.aldNL1bC.dpuf)

True. So when we go out to eat - I typically order water with a slice of lemon as my "drink". I love it.

Jesus ate meat, the apostles ate meat, all foods are clean. What God has announced let no man
contradict, God declared all food groups clean.

Acts 10
14 But Peter said, “By no means, Lord, for I have never eaten anything unholy and unclean.”
15 Again a voice came to him a second time, “What God has cleansed, no longer consider unholy.”

The SDA declares some food groups unclean, God declared all food groups clean!

Your wild speculation that Seventh-day Adventists wrote Genesis 7 and Genesis 9 and Leviticus 11... "noted".

Try to stick with the actual Bible.

It seems that God doesn't care about what food we eat

Hint; read Leviticus 11 as if Seventh-day Adventists did not write the Bible.

Do the same with Isaiah 66.

in the case of Acts 10 Peter never eats a rat -- and also Peter gives the explanation of the "eat rat sandwiches" vision at least 2 times - and not once does he argue for your 'eat more rat sandwiches' conclusion.

Does this not bother you in the least -- when you bend the text to such a purpose?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I notice that Noah was allowed to eat all meats. God gave him no restrictions. Likewise Acts 15 gives no restrictions, other than the blood which God also gave to Noah.

It seems that God doesn't care about what food we eat but instead about how we conduct ourselves. He wants love and brotherhood. However, if we create discord over food restrictions that God has not given us, then we are sinning by creating discord. We can eat the purest foods if we want, but if we create discord then we are not promoting purity. Love and brotherhood is pure.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟908,542.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I notice that Noah was allowed to eat all meats.

Noah was told to take the unclean animals by two's and the clean animals by 7's.

8 people on the ark. Eating just one unclean animal - results in species extinction in that case.

Is it your claim that all the unclean animals went extinct???

Clean animals by 7's gives them a food source.

unclean animals by 2's does not.

Last edited:
Reactions: tatteredsoul
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟908,542.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Is it evil to notice that the Bible does not want us to eat poison or toxic food? Yes

Wonderful -- you must be suggesting that drug abuse be legalized since it is all "from plants".

That is going to make you one of the most happy and care free posters on this thread.

Looking forward to that.

Upvote 0

YESLORDIWILL

Have you not read? 1Sa 20-22, Ps 52
Oct 12, 2012
✟11,133.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Wonderful -- you must be suggesting that drug abuse be legalized since it is all "from plants".

That is going to make you one of the most happy and care free posters on this thread.

Looking forward to that.
yep
hapydancsmil.gif

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Noah was told to take the unclean animals by two's and the clean animals by 7's.

8 people on the ark. Eating just one unclean animal - results in species extinction in that case.

Is it your claim that all the unclean animals went extinct???

Clean animals by 7's gives them a food source.

unclean animals by 2's does not.

I don't engage in speculation. I'm referring to the command that God gave Noah. HE gave Noah permission to eat all animals. YOu may think you are following Gods holy law, but by creating discord over food restrictions that we were never given, only fails to obey the Law of God. God command us to be of one mind, glorifying him and praising Him with our thanksgiving. God hates discord and contention.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟908,542.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
...did I mention that I'm a whole foods plant based vegan. But, I have been told to give peas a chance.

And yet... you say it is evil to notice that God does not want us to eat poison???

How so??

Even though God says that your body is the temple of God - and God will destroy those who destroy that temple?

1 Cor 3:17??

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟908,542.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I don't engage in speculation. I'm referring to the command that God gave Noah. HE gave Noah permission to eat all animals. YOu may think you are following Gods holy law, but by creating discord over food .

So then your claim is that Leviticus 11 is "evil"??

Isaiah 66 is "evil"??

God's restriction on unclean animals in Genesis 7 - to just 2's and not 7's is... "evil" in your mind??

Not all plants are edible... not all animals are clean in Genesis 6 and 7.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
So then your claim is that Leviticus 11 is "evil"??

Isaiah 66 is "evil"??

God's restriction on unclean animals in Genesis 7 - to just 2's and not 7's is... "evil" in your mind??

Not all plants are edible... not all animals are clean in Genesis 6 and 7.

I never said those scriptures were evil. I said its sin to cause discord over Moses law which was never given to Gentiles.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟908,542.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I never said those scriptures were evil. I said its sin to cause discord over Moses law which was never given to Gentiles.

"The saints KEEP the Commandments of God AND their faith in Jesus" Rev 14:12

God's commandments where the 5th Commandment is the "FIRST commandment with a promise". Eph 6:2

1 John 5:2-4
2 By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God and observe His commandments. 3 For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments; and His commandments are not burdensome.

God's commandments where the 5th Commandment is the "FIRST commandment with a promise". Eph 6:2

The answer is easy -- when one does not dismiss Bible details.

Rom 3:31 "31 Do we then nullify the Law through faith? May it never be! On the contrary, we establish the Law."

Lev 19:18 "Love your neighbor as yourself"
Deut 6:5 "Love God with all your heart"
Ex 20:7 " “You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain, for the Lord will not leave him unpunished who takes His name in vain"

You claim to live in rebellion against what God told Moses??

Really??

Eph 6:2
2 “Honor your father and mother,” which is the first commandment with promise:

Ten Commandments spoken by Christ at Sinai - Ex 20. Heb 8:6-10

Romans 7:7
7 What shall we say then? Is THE Law sin? Certainly not! On the contrary, I would not have known sin except through THE Law. For I would not have known covetousness unless THE law had said, “You shall not covet.

Is 66:23 "from Sabbath to Sabbath shall ALL MANKIND come before Me to worship"

"what matters is KEEPING the Commandments of God" 1 Cor 7:19

Mark 7

7 Howbeit in vain do they worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.
8 For laying aside the Commandment of God, ye hold the tradition of men, as the washing of pots and cups: and many other such like things ye do.
9 And he said unto them, Full well ye reject the commandment of God, that ye may keep your own tradition.
10 For Moses said, Honour thy father and thy mother; and, Whoso curseth father or mother, let him die the death:
11 But ye say, If a man shall say to his father or mother, It is Corban, that is to say, a gift, by whatsoever thou mightest be profited by me; he shall be free.
12 And ye suffer him no more to do ought for his father or his mother;
13 Making the Word of God of none effect through your tradition, which ye have delivered: and many such like things do ye.

James 2
8 If you really fulfill the royal law according to the Scripture,You shall love your neighbor as yourself,” you do well;
9 but if you show partiality, you commit sin, and are convicted by THE Law as transgressors.
10 For whoever shall keep the whole Law, and yet stumble in one point, he is guilty of all.
11 For He who said, “Do not commit adultery,” also said, “Do not murder.” Now if you do not commit adultery, but you do murder, you have become a transgressor of THE Law. 12 So speak and so do as those who will be judged by the law of liberty.

It based on "He who said" -

Rom 2
21 You, therefore, who teach another, do you not teach yourself? You who preach that a man should not steal, do you steal?
22 You who say, “Do not commit adultery,do you commit adultery? You who abhor idols, do you rob temples?
23 You who make your boast in the law, do you dishonor God through breaking the law?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

YESLORDIWILL

Have you not read? 1Sa 20-22, Ps 52
Oct 12, 2012
✟11,133.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Discord destroys Gods temple.

I'm sorry, I was just being silly... I saw "Is it evil to notice that the Bible does not want us to eat poison or toxic food?" And I thought, gosh, I really have to say something... is it evil just to notice that the Bible doesn't want us to do something, well yeah!

Reactions: BobRyan
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟908,542.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Discord destroys Gods temple.

That is what the Jews of Christ's day kept trying to tell Christ and Paul. their primary concern was not rocking the boat.

But Christ and Paul were more "sola scriptura" than that.

Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Read the actual post - and you will see that I never claimed that God told Moses that the Hebrews were prohibited from eating meat.

Details matter.
Hello Bob.

You said.
My church teaches that everyone should be vegetarians
Your church (SDA) teaches vegetarianism, for the life of me I have no idea
where they got that idea from. The Bible is silent about this belief system.

Eating meat is bad? So is a lack of exercise! We are not in the health care
business, Bob.

I will give you the same advice I received from an elderly lady. What ever
you do, do not get old. It is better to avoid getting really old as you will
only suffer, Bob. Your body after the age of fifty does not repair itself as
well as it used to, each year decreases your overall health, vegetarian
or not.

I once knew a lady that was 103 years old and she was unhappy. I asked
her why she was so depressed, she said that her children were dying of
old age. Watching her children die of old age is not something any parent
should witness.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
True. So when we go out to eat - I typically order water with a slice of lemon as my "drink". I love it.

Your wild speculation that Seventh-day Adventists wrote Genesis 7 and Genesis 9 and Leviticus 11... "noted".

Hint; read Leviticus 11 as if Seventh-day Adventists did not write the Bible.

Do the same with Isaiah 66.

Your wild speculation that Seventh-day Adventists wrote Genesis 7 and Genesis 9 and Leviticus 11... "noted"

Does this not bother you in the least -- when you bend the text to such a purpose?
Hello Bob.

You agree that drinking fruit juice drinks can cause diabetes.

I did not understand the rest of your post.
Your wild speculation that Seventh-day Adventists wrote Genesis 7 and Genesis 9 and
Leviticus 11... "noted"
Also the following comments about Peter eating rat sandwiches?

I will simply ask you whether all food groups are clean or not?

Upvote 0