Is it a sin for a Christian to listen to Heavy Metal music?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zecryphon

Aug 14, 2006
Phoenix, Arizona
✟19,186.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Giving you the benifit of the doubt when you said you were serious, I'll respond to you this one last time regarding this side issue and stop hijacking this thread:

You don't know the dynamics of the situation. You don't know my heart on the matter. You don't know God's mind or leading regarding any of the aforementioned. You're not part of the equation in the relationship and don't know my responsibilities to these people on any level whatsoever. Therefor you saying "I see no good coming of this" is you stepping way beyond any vantage you have to give advice on this matter.

Done.
I'm commenting on what you've provided. Since you have failed to mention all of those things you say I have no knowledge of, one question. What the hell did you expect? You failed to act when you should have and now you feel guilty so you're gonna act now. Good luck.

Upvote 0

JWNEWMAN

Senior Veteran
Oct 6, 2006
✟21,154.00
Faith
Christian
Does anyone think music itself, void of lyrics, is evil? I've heard some people hold this opinion. You can make some strange sounds with various notes the combination of which qualify as chords. However, could they be classified as evil? Some people believe all rock or metal is evil because of the sound it creates and the mood it cultivates.

Personally, I don't think so. But have to confess I don't listen to hard rock so, I can't testify as to 'mood' alteration. However, I have heard a study that suggests songs written in major keys tend to have an uplifting effect on mood.

Upvote 0

Zecryphon

Aug 14, 2006
Phoenix, Arizona
✟19,186.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Does anyone think music itself, void of lyrics, is evil? I've heard some people hold this opinion. You can make some strange sounds with various notes the combination of which qualify as chords. However, could they be classified as evil? Some people believe all rock or metal is evil because of the sound it creates and the mood it cultivates.

Personally, I don't think so. But have to confess I don't listen to hard rock so, I can't testify as to 'mood' alteration. However, I have heard a study that suggests songs written in major keys tend to have an uplifting effect on mood.
I've heard the same claims, and the key in which a song is written can influence moods, but I'm not sure about behaviors. Songs written in major keys will have a happy sound to them. When the Saints Go Marching In, is written in a major key. A song like Moonlight Sonata or Silent Night are written in minor keys and therefore have that more somber and depressing sound to them. Personally, I prefer music written in the minor keys. Lyrical interpretation is difficult enough and risky enough, without adding this new theory that the music itself can contribute to bad behavior. It can affect your mood, but by itself, without any subliminal messages being added to it, I don't think it influences behavior in and of itself. When I say lyrical interpretation is risky, I'm saying that because of the two big lawsuits in the 80's regarding a misinterpretation of lyrics. Two prominent heavy metal artists were hauled into court by the parents of suicide victims. The artists were Ozzy Osbourne for Suicide Solution and Judas Priest for Better By You, Better Than Me.

Below are the lyrics for both songs. You can decide for yourself if legal action was rightfully taken based upon lyrical content.

Suicide Solution

Wine is fine but whiskeys quicker
Suicide is slow with liquor
Take a bottle and drown your sorrows
Then it floods away tomorrows

Evil thoughts and evil doings
Cold, alone you hang in ruins
Thought that you'd escape the reaper
You cant escape the master keeper

cause you feel like youre living a lie
Such a shame who's to blame and youre wondering why
Then you ask from your cask is there life after birth
What you sow can mean hell on this earth

Now you live inside a bottle
The reaper's traveling at full throttle
It's catching you but you don't see
The reaper is you and the reaper is me

Breaking laws, knocking doors
But there's no one at home
Made your bed, rest your head
But you lie there and moan
Where to hide, suicide is the only way out
Dont you know what its really about

Better By You, Better Than Me

You could find a way to ease my passion
You listen to the blood flow in my veins
You hear the teaching of the wind
Tell her why I'm alive within
I can't find the words
My mind is dead
It's better by you better than me

Guess you'll have to tell her how I tried
To speak up thoughts I've held so inside
Tell her now I got to go
Out in the streets and down the shore
Tell her the world's not much living for

Everybody
Everybody knows
Everybody
Everybody knows
Better by you better than me

You can tell what I want it to be
You can say what I only can see

Guess I'll have to change my way of living
Don't wanna really know the way I feel
Guess I'll learn to fight and kill
Tell her not to wait until
They'll find my blood upon her windowsill

Everybody
Everybody knows
Everybody
Everybody knows

You can say what I only can see

You can say way all they can see

Upvote 0

ernest_theweedwhackerguy

Hello, I'm Ernest P. Worrell
Jun 1, 2004
New York
✟16,541.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

Just because a form of music is "heavier" than another genre, that doesn't mean it's satanic. It doesn't mean that it, "isn't for the Lord", and it doesn't mean that it's full of hate.
I can't stand it when I go to churches, and there's a praise song or a teen christian band that's playing in the church, and they do praise songs, but yet most of the older people in the congregation won't stand up to sing, they won't even LOOK at these people standing in front of the church, proclaiming their love for Jesus Christ, and sharing their message with them. No, what do they do?
Sit there with a nasty scoul and wonder why the paster would ever let these kids through the door because they're playing "the devil's music".

It sickens me.

Upvote 0

Zecryphon

Aug 14, 2006
Phoenix, Arizona
✟19,186.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Just because a form of music is "heavier" than another genre, that doesn't mean it's satanic. It doesn't mean that it, "isn't for the Lord", and it doesn't mean that it's full of hate.
I can't stand it when I go to churches, and there's a praise song or a teen christian band that's playing in the church, and they do praise songs, but yet most of the older people in the congregation won't stand up to sing, they won't even LOOK at these people standing in front of the church, proclaiming their love for Jesus Christ, and sharing their message with them. No, what do they do?
Sit there with a nasty scoul and wonder why the paster would ever let these kids through the door because they're playing "the devil's music".

It sickens me.
Why? People just have different ways of worshipping Christ and prefer different musical styles to do so. The people you're describing probably tend towards the more traditional type of worship, like the old hymns and songs sung by choir. Now, in a lot of churches those people have the option of going to the traditional service that would be more to their musical liking. However in a lot of churches though, they don't have that option as a lot of churches feel the need to play the CCM type stuff to be relevant to the culture and draw the culture to the church and have contemporary worship music during every service. What are those scowling people supposed to do? Find a new church? I personally hate contemporary worship music, not for the musical style but for the lack of focus on Jesus and His sacrifice for our sins in the lyrics. I prefer the hymns. That's just me. I go to a service that suits me and don't look down on anyone who goes to a contemporary service. I used to go to those when I came back to Christ in the mid-90's.

Upvote 0

ernest_theweedwhackerguy

Jun 1, 2004
New York
✟16,541.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
See, the thing is the services are mixed, as there are hymns AND CCM. But the bible says right in it that it doesn't matter how we praise God, as long as we praise Him.
He could care less if it was me running around the town banging on a huge steel pot, compared to the greatest choir in the land! He'd love both of our methods of praising him the same. Why?! Because we are still praising His name!

The thing about the older people I described is that they tell people to do everything in the name of the Lord. But, then when something like what I said earlier comes around, they become hypocritical and start judging!

This is one of the main reasons why I don't go to church anymore. All the hypocrisy in the churches I've attended turn me off. I just read my bible with friends 3 times a night after hanging out and playing video games or something.

Upvote 0

JWNEWMAN

Senior Veteran
Oct 6, 2006
✟21,154.00
Faith
Christian
See, the thing is the services are mixed, as there are hymns AND CCM. But the bible says right in it that it doesn't matter how we praise God, as long as we praise Him.
He could care less if it was me running around the town banging on a huge steel pot, compared to the greatest choir in the land! He'd love both of our methods of praising him the same. Why?! Because we are still praising His name!

The thing about the older people I described is that they tell people to do everything in the name of the Lord. But, then when something like what I said earlier comes around, they become hypocritical and start judging!

This is one of the main reasons why I don't go to church anymore. All the hypocrisy in the churches I've attended turn me off. I just read my bible with friends 3 times a night after hanging out and playing video games or something.
There are church's where rock music is the main style. Especially if you're near a City. I know of church's that hire top musicians (rock musicians) to play for their services. One of my best friends plays for such a church. I don't like the music myself but I love the enthusiasm.

I don't like rap or heavy metal personally and I couldn't take a steady diet of it nor could I worship to it. I'm not into jumping and dancing. But King David was. So, I don't knock rock. However, for my own edification I don't worship in a church that uses rock as a worship format. Becuase I have a choice.

Upvote 0

ernest_theweedwhackerguy

Jun 1, 2004
New York
✟16,541.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Exactly, but some people don't have that choice.
But what I can't comprehend is the people who don't have a choice, don't you think they'd just be glad they found a good church to worship at and share fellowship rather than complain and grumble about the music?

Upvote 0
D

dies-l

But what I can't comprehend is the people who don't have a choice, don't you think they'd just be glad they found a good church to worship at and share fellowship rather than complain and grumble about the music?

People are people. They will always find something to complain about. If it's not the music, it's something else. My wife is a leader and staff member at our church, so I am more aware than some of all of the petty bickering that goes on behind the scenes. It is really sad to see how something as insignificant as musical tastes can destroy fellowship in a church.

And the music thing is not just a problem in contemporary churches. The church I went to before the one I go to now was very traditional, and I remember there, more than at my current church, how certain people would complain of the pastor picked a hymn they didn't like. Isn't it sad how petty us Christians can be?

Upvote 0

JWNEWMAN

Senior Veteran
Oct 6, 2006
✟21,154.00
Faith
Christian
Well, you said you were in fellowship with some people. Perhaps you could start your own church?

Otherwise, the point I see in belonging to a fellowship is God moving through me to minister to others within the body. And visa-versa. Sometimes, the last person I'd expect is the one God uses to teach me something. Go figure.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Armistead

Veteran
Aug 11, 2007
NC
✟2,439.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
It is a proven fact that sound or color can effect us in many ways...good or bad. Sound and color activate different parts of the brain.

Heavy metal music often promotes confusion and stimulates the brain to be hyper.

I wouldn't call it sin per say, but I haven't seen it have
any impact that would be uplifting.

I don't, nor have I ever listened to it willingly. It gives me a headache.

Upvote 0

JWNEWMAN

Senior Veteran
Oct 6, 2006
✟21,154.00
Faith
Christian
below from: http://psp.sagepub.com/cgi/content/abstract/32/9/1165

Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin

Music and Aggression: The Impact of Sexual-Aggressive Song Lyrics on Aggression-Related Thoughts, Emotions, and Behavior Toward the Same and the Opposite Sex
Peter Fischer

Tobias Greitemeyer

Ludwig-Maximilians-University Munich

Three studies examined the impact of sexual-aggressive song lyrics on aggressive thoughts, emotions, and behavior toward the same and the opposite sex. In Study 1, the authors directly manipulated whether male or female participants listened to misogynous or neutral song lyrics and measured actual aggressive behavior. Male participants who were exposed to misogynous song lyrics administered more hot chili sauce to a female than to a male confederate. Study 2 shed some light on the underlying psychological processes: Male participants who heard misogynous song lyrics recalled more negative attributes of women and reported more feelings of vengeance than when they heard neutral song lyrics. In addition, men-hating song lyrics had a similar effect on aggression-related responses of female participants toward men. Finally, Study 3 replicated the findings of the previous two studies with an alternative measure of aggressive behavior as well as a more subtle measure of aggressive cognitions. The results are discussed in the framework of the General Aggression Model.

Upvote 0

EnemyPartyII

Sep 12, 2006
✟20,084.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Upvote 0

ClausJohn

Jan 18, 2008
Saarbruecken
✟596.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Heavy metal music often promotes confusion and stimulates the brain to be hyper.
As a listener of heavy metal music (among many other styles) i'd really wish to see any evidence for what you claim...especially as the often dark and brooding crowd that this music usually draws is anything but "hyper".

I don't, nor have I ever listened to it willingly. It gives me a headache.
Not knowing about something is always the best way to judge it fairly ;)

Upvote 0

Zecryphon

Aug 14, 2006
Phoenix, Arizona
✟19,186.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
thats an interesting study.

Who says heavy metal is misogynistic though? Rap seems FAR more misogynistic than any of the metal I like (Queen, Def Leopard) which can be quite sweet and romantic
I don't think anyone who listens to metal considers Queen or Def Leppard to be heavy metal. Both fall under the heading of hard rock.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Zecryphon

Aug 14, 2006
Phoenix, Arizona
✟19,186.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
As a listener of heavy metal music (among many other styles) i'd really wish to see any evidence for what you claim...especially as the often dark and brooding crowd that this music usually draws is anything but "hyper".

Not knowing about something is always the best way to judge it fairly ;)
Well speed or thrash metal could be seen as driving hyper tendencies and behavior. The old stuff by Metallica and Megadeth and even Anthrax I believe would classify as speed metal.

Upvote 0

JWNEWMAN

Senior Veteran
Oct 6, 2006
✟21,154.00
Faith
Christian
thats an interesting study.

Who says heavy metal is misogynistic though? Rap seems FAR more misogynistic than any of the metal I like (Queen, Def Leopard) which can be quite sweet and romantic
It was just general information. Like I said, I don't particularly like metal but, I'm not against it. I'm not much on Mozart either but, there are clinical studies showing listening to certain of his music can raise the IQ up to eight points.

Years ago I was into rock, even so it wasn't hard rock... somebody quoted that study on the plants turning away and shrinking when exposed to rock music... I said, "Yeah, but they didn't say what band was playing, did they?"

I can't stand listening to Bob Dylan...most of the time... But the same song performed by a different artist can be pleasant to hear.

I'm niether pro nor con on this issue at this time. Just have my own preferences. I've seen church's using rap, metal, mime, etc. got no problem with it.

Upvote 0

EnemyPartyII

Sep 12, 2006
✟20,084.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
I don't think anyone who listens to metal considers Queen or Def Leppard to be heavy metal. Both fall under the heading of hard rock.
once upon a time they were considered ultra hard metal... indeed, once upon a time, Queen was considered one of the worst groups for promoting Satanism, followed closely by KISS. Both their music is now being played as "golden oldies"... and I practically guarantee that 25 years from now, the current generation of thrash/death metal and gangsta rap afficianados will be complaining about the music their kids are listening to as being to extreme and out there

Upvote 0

EnemyPartyII

Sep 12, 2006
✟20,084.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
It was just general information. Like I said, I don't particularly like metal but, I'm not against it. I'm not much on Mozart either but, there are clinical studies showing listening to certain of his music can raise the IQ up to eight points.

Years ago I was into rock, even so it wasn't hard rock... somebody quoted that study on the plants turning away and shrinking when exposed to rock music... I said, "Yeah, but they didn't say what band was playing, did they?"

I can't stand listening to Bob Dylan...most of the time... But the same song performed by a different artist can be pleasant to hear.

I'm niether pro nor con on this issue at this time. Just have my own preferences. I've seen church's using rap, metal, mime, etc. got no problem with it.
it was interesting information, thanks

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.