Cloudcuckoolander
May 17, 2011
North Carolina
✟8,024.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I was baptized as a baby, but not since then.

Do I need to be baptized in order to be saved, or was I covered back then. OR is baptism not required for salvation?

I've heard people say that the Bible clearly, unarguably states that baptism is a definitely requirement for salvation. I'm just not sure what to believe - that doesn't seem right, but I don't trust my own thoughts, so I can't exactly go by that.

Anyway, please help! Please let me know if I need to be baptized soon -

PS: I am not a member of any church (although I do attend one), so can I even have it done?

Alive_Again

Resident Alien
Sep 16, 2010
✟12,991.00
Faith
Word of Faith
I personally do not believe that choices made by your parents fulfill the Word of God as a believer. I do believe in christening, since you're really dedicating your child to the service of God.

When you're born again, you're baptized in Christ (buried with Him) by virtue of your repentance. Your raised with Christ in the power of His resurrection. The thief on the cross next to Jesus went to paradise and he was not water baptized. Jesus did say to "suffer it to fulfill righteousness". It's important to fulfill righteousness. I personally believe that you won't go to Hell for not being water baptized, but I do believe that not fulfilling righteousness keeps you from walking in victory. God blesses you for honoring His Word.

If you were not water baptized since you were born again and made the choice to receive Jesus as your Lord (not made for you by someone else), then I would encourage you to fulfill righteousness and get water baptized. God will surely bless you for it. Your blessing is your gain.

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
stacymay said:

Do I need to be baptized in order to be saved, or was I covered back then. OR is baptism not required for salvation?

I've heard people say that the Bible clearly, unarguably states that baptism is a definitely requirement for salvation. I'm just not sure what to believe - that doesn't seem right, but I don't trust my own thoughts, so I can't exactly go by that.

PS: I am not a member of any church (although I do attend one), so can I even have it done?
Baptism is entry into the People of God. That people has always included children. Moses didn't leave the children standing on the Egyptian side of the sea with an army thundering towards them and say "wait there until you are old enough to decide for yourself whether to be a slave or not".

Baptism is God taking us out of Egypt and through the Jordan. God joining us into Jesus death and resurrection,...

To deny that to children is a nonsense.

Reactions: Mick116
Upvote 0

Alive_Again

Resident Alien
Sep 16, 2010
✟12,991.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Baptism is God taking us out of Egypt and through the Jordan. God joining us into Jesus death and resurrection,...

To deny that to children is a nonsense.

The thing about the churches that conduct infant baptism is that they are not taught to make the choice themselves to have Jesus as their Lord. There is no conversion and typically no conversion experience.
In every person's life, they need to decide for themselves that Jesus is their Lord and believe the gospel for themselves. This is what saves them. The choice to become baptized fulfills righteousness and is also a choice.

The churches that do not preach individual conversion rather than just being raised in church are often the ones that do not preach the need to be born again. (I'm not pointing any fingers...) They also complain about the need for "feelings" in their walk and knock the churches that minister the presence of the Lord as an actual day to day experience (based on their actual conversion and fulfillment of God's Word - with signs following by the Holy Spirit.

God does not send anyone before the age of accountability (different in different cultures) to Hell.

Upvote 0

Alive_Again

Resident Alien
Sep 16, 2010
✟12,991.00
Faith
Word of Faith
You can see that baptism follows repentance.

You are saved by faith. You are baptized into Christ as you are born again. You become one spirit and benefit from His death, burial, and resurrection. The baptism signifies the death and burial (repentance) and the resurrection occurs when you are reborn. You become water baptized afterwards to fulfill righteousness. Sometimes this takes place much later, but I believe you experience problems when you wait. You are still saved by faith though, receiving His righteousness by faith.

Then went out to him Jerusalem, and all Judaea, and all the region round about Jordan, And were baptized of him in Jordan, confessing their sins.
Matt 3:5-6 (KJV)

He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.
Mark 16:16 (KJV)

John did baptize in the wilderness, and preach the baptism of repentance for the remission of sins. And there went out unto him all the land of Judaea, and they of Jerusalem, and were all baptized of him in the river of Jordan, confessing their sins.
Mark 1:4-5 (KJV)

And all the people that heard him, and the publicans, justified God, being baptized with the baptism of John. But the Pharisees and lawyers rejected the counsel of God against themselves, being not baptized of him.
Luke 7:29-30 (KJV)

When therefore the Lord knew how the Pharisees had heard that Jesus made and baptized more disciples than John, (Though Jesus himself baptized not, but his disciples,) He left Judaea, and departed again into Galilee.
John 4:1-3 (KJV)

And, being assembled together with them, commanded them that they should not depart from Jerusalem, but wait for the promise of the Father, which, saith he, ye have heard of me.For John truly baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost not many days hence.
Acts 1:4-5 (KJV)

Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do? Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.
Acts 2:37-39 (KJV)

Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls.
Acts 2:41 (KJV)

Now when the apostles which were at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent unto them Peter and John: Who, when they were come down, prayed for them, that they might receive the Holy Ghost: (For as yet he was fallen upon none of them: only they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.) Then laid they their hands on them, and they received the Holy Ghost.
Acts 8:14-17 (KJV)

Then Philip opened his mouth, and began at the same scripture, and preached unto him Jesus. And as they went on their way, they came unto a certain water: and the eunuch said, See, here is water; what doth hinder me to be baptized? And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God. nd he commanded the chariot to stand still: and they went down both into the water, both Philip and the eunuch; and he baptized him.
Acts 8:35-38 (KJV)

And Ananias went his way, and entered into the house; and putting his hands on him said, Brother Saul, the Lord, even Jesus, that appeared unto thee in the way as thou camest, hath sent me, that thou mightest receive thy sight, and be filled with the Holy Ghost. And immediately there fell from his eyes as it had been scales: and he received sight forthwith, and arose, and was baptized.
Acts 9:17-18 (KJV)

While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word. And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost. For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God. Then answered Peter, Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we? And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then prayed they him to tarry certain days.
Acts 10:44-48 (KJV)

Then remembered I the word of the Lord, how that he said, John indeed baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost. Forasmuch then as God gave them the like gift as he did unto us, who believed on the Lord Jesus Christ; what was I, that I could withstand God?
Acts 11:16-17 (KJV)

And Crispus, the chief ruler of the synagogue, believed on the Lord with all his house; and many of the Corinthians hearing believed, and were baptized.
Acts 18:8 (KJV)

He said unto them, Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed? And they said unto him, We have not so much as heard whether there be any Holy Ghost. And he said unto them, Unto what then were ye baptized? And they said, Unto John's baptism. Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus. When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied. And all the men were about twelve.
Acts 19:2-7 (KJV)

And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord.
Acts 22:16 (KJV)

God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein? Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?
Romans 6:2-3 (KJV)

For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus. For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.
Gal 3:26-27 (KJV)

For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.
1 Cor 12:13 (KJV)

Moreover, brethren, I would not that ye should be ignorant, how that all our fathers were under the cloud, and all passed through the sea; And were all baptized unto Moses in the cloud and in the sea; And did all eat the same spiritual meat; And did all drink the same spiritual drink: for they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock was Christ. But with many of them God was not well pleased: for they were overthrown in the wilderness.
1 Cor 10:1-5 (KJV)

And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth. Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.
Matt 28:18-20 (KJV)

Upvote 0

kql314

Mar 6, 2011
✟15,539.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Some responses here are not entirely accurate...
I assume they are talking about the RCC that does infant baptisms- and the statement made is that this church does not have people seek out a personal relationship with Jesus or any true conversion in their hearts.
I would disagree with that.
Catholics pray and state every week (every service) all of the beliefs of the Nicene Creed and other key tenets of Faith. Priests will talk frequently about having a relationship with Christ.
Catholic teens will make a CHOICE at 15-16 years old to be confirmed in the RCC. This is their choice, not their parents. During this time they go through much education in regards to the Faith.

So, I would say, it is not the cut and dry.

Yes, I believe that a water baptism is required for salvation. But theologians go back and forth on this all the time.

God Bless,

Ken L.
co-author, Top 10 Most Influential Christians

Upvote 0

Alive_Again

Resident Alien
Sep 16, 2010
✟12,991.00
Faith
Word of Faith
I assume they are talking about the RCC that does infant baptisms- and the statement made is that this church does not have people seek out a personal relationship with Jesus or any true conversion in their hearts.
I would disagree with that.

Infants cannot make a decision for Christ. God does not hold them accountable and they incapable of repenting and do not understand enough to believe. Personally, I believe it is a dangerous practice to attempt to make decisions for others to choose Christ.

I think the "Christening" is more accurate; a dedication to bring up the child in the admonition of the Lord.

When a child reaches the age of accountability, it needs to choose Christ for himself. If he rests in the "finished" work his parents did, then he never makes the choice for himself.

Repentance is a powerful thing and that coupled with faith to receive the righteousness of Christ and His Lordship is a saving thing. It brings you to a new birth. You need the nature change to be able to do the will of God and to go to Heaven.

Catholics pray and state every week (every service) all of the beliefs of the Nicene Creed and other key tenets of Faith. Priests will talk frequently about having a relationship with Christ.

I won't judge anyone's heart, but anyone can ascent to any truth without embracing Jesus as personal Lord and savior. I can listen to someone talk about having a relationship with God, but until they make a conscious choice to forsake the world and be "in Christ", they remain in their sin, unregenerate.

Catholic teens will make a CHOICE at 15-16 years old to be confirmed in the RCC.

If they read the Word of God and realize that Jesus is asking you to literally lay down your life for Him and choose "yes", they will be birthed into the Kingdom of God. This is the choice people with a conversion experience make when they themselves make a choice to believe the good news of the cross and receive the Lordship of Jesus by faith (receiving, not just hearing and believing).

Upvote 0

greatdivide46

Nov 7, 2011
Alabama
✟9,561.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

I would encourage to be be baptized by immersion. After all that is what the word baptize actually means.

Likewise, I believe the Bible teaches that baptism is a relative requirement for salvation. However, not an absolutely essential condition for salvation. Of all the people in the books of Acts whom we are told became Christians every single one of them were baptized by immersion after having believed and repented. In fact if you read the nine conversion accounts in the book of Acts you see that baptism is mentioned in every single one of them. There was no such thing as a unbaptized Christian in the early church. So, if I were you I'd get baptized as soon as I possibly could.

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
greatdivide46 said:
I would encourage to be be baptized by immersion. After all that is what the word baptize actually means.

Likewise, I believe the Bible teaches that baptism is a relative requirement for salvation. However, not an absolutely essential condition for salvation. Of all the people in the books of Acts whom we are told became Christians every single one of them were baptized by immersion after having believed and repented. In fact if you read the nine conversion accounts in the book of Acts you see that baptism is mentioned in every single one of them. There was no such thing as a unbaptized Christian in the early church. So, if I were you I'd get baptized as soon as I possibly could.

He has been baptized

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

PaladinValer

Traditional Orthodox Anglican
Apr 7, 2004
Myrtle Beach, SC
✟30,305.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

If you were baptized, then you've been baptized. Age doesn't matter.

The Bible suggests it does (1st St. Peter 3:21), and Holy Tradition agrees.

The Gospel according to St. Mark 16:16 makes it clear: baptism is required.

You've already received Holy Baptism. So long as it was with the Trinitarian formula and theology, and water was applied for each Person, it is a valid baptism.

Holy Baptism doesn't depend on comprehension but faith. Faith isn't intellectual or based on knowledge, but based on the soul and heart. Futhermore, since Holy Baptism is a sacrament, it is something God does through the person who baptizes. A sacrament is an outward, visible sign of an inward, spiritual grace: the outward visible sign is water and the inward spiritual graces are many, but some of them are your soul's regeneration and your entry into God's Church along with your salvation.

You're covered, if you were baptized as an infant you're fine.

Yup.

I personally do not believe that choices made by your parents fulfill the Word of God as a believer. I do believe in christening, since you're really dedicating your child to the service of God.

The OP didn't say anything about a child but the OP's self.

When you're born again, you're baptized in Christ (buried with Him) by virtue of your repentance.

Um, Holy Baptism is one's burial in Christ...

Your raised with Christ in the power of His resurrection.

See above...

The thief on the cross next to Jesus went to paradise and he was not water baptized.

1. The Church wasn't born yet nor had Jesus been resurrected yet.
2. Baptism by Desire.

The Didache which is one of the very first commentaries on the Holy Bible disagrees. Since it was written in the 1st century and therefore written possibly by eye-witnesses or their disciples, your understanding is incorrect.

Baptism by water is symbolic of what has transpired on the Inside. It's a good thing to do, but not REQUIRED for salvation.

The Holy Bible disagrees.

Upvote 0

PaladinValer

Apr 7, 2004
Myrtle Beach, SC
✟30,305.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
No. Baptism is a symbolic gesture that gives witness that has died with Christ and now lives as a new creature. Salvation is instantly imputed once one believes on Jesus Christ.

1st St. Peter 3:21 says otherwise.
Jesus says otherwise also in St. Mark 16:16.

If Martin Luther, who for all intent and purposes "established" the idea of sola scriptura, taught and defended the vital importance of Holy Baptism in salvation, then I find it incredibly ironic for any Protestant to say otherwise.

And of all denominations and churches, I would argue that Lutherans are among the top of those with the best defenses, teachings, and explanations of Baptismal theology.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

linssue55

Senior Veteran
Jul 31, 2005
Tucson Az
✟11,739.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican

No!
At the evry moment of Salvation....All believers are baptised by "God the Holy Spirit".

Baptism of the Holy Spirit.....Rom 8: 1-2, Rom 8: 38-39, 1 Cor 15:2, 1 Cor 12:13, John 5: 11-12

Upvote 0

PaladinValer

Apr 7, 2004
Myrtle Beach, SC
✟30,305.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
No!
At the evry moment of Salvation....All believers are baptised by "God the Holy Spirit".

Baptism of the Holy Spirit.....Rom 8: 1-2, Rom 8: 38-39, 1 Cor 15:2, 1 Cor 12:13, John 5: 11-12

Not historically a Christian interpretation of those verses.

Holy Baptism is a sacrament, which is defined as an outward, visible sign of an inward, spiritual grace. The sign of Holy Baptism is water; the graces are many, including the gift of God the Holy Spirit to dwell with the newly baptized and being made a worthy vessel for God to dwell with as well.

The Didache is a 1st century document which shows the historic Christian understanding of Holy Baptism. If something is contrary to it, it is contrary to what the Apostles and those their directly taught, taught themselves.

Upvote 0

linssue55

Senior Veteran
Jul 31, 2005
Tucson Az
✟11,739.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Not historically a Christian interpretation of those verses.

This is now the Church age..........The Doctrine of "water baptism "

Baptism is the means by which something or someone is identified with something or someone else. With this identification, the nature or character of the baptized person or thing is changed.
To avoid any confusion or distortion, we need to look at how this ceremonial practice came into being. The English word baptize, comes to us from the Greek word baptizo, which means to dip or immerse. This word was used by ancient Greek poets, dramatists and historians to denote the identification of one object with another, so that the first object is changed. For example, in the fourth century B.C., Xenophen describes how new recruits in the Spartan army dipped their spears into pig's blood before going into battle. By identifying the spears with blood, the nature of the spear was changed from that of a hunter to the spear of a warrior. In some of the ancient secret fraternities, the rite of passage signifying identification with that fraternity was immersion or baptism in blood. In the fifth century B.C., Euripides used the word baptizo to describe a sinking ship. As it sinks, the character or nature of the ship is changed and it becomes identified with the water.

There are seven baptisms mentioned in the Bible, four being real identifications with someone or something, and three being rituals with a symbolic meaning. The four real baptisms are dry, indicating that no water is used. They are:
  1. baptism with Moses. The children of Israel were identified with Moses and the cloud [a manifestation of the glory of the Lord Jesus Christ] as they passed through the Red Sea, 1CO 10:1-2, For I do not want you to be unaware, brethren, that our fathers were all under the cloud and all passed through the sea; and all were baptized into Moses in the cloud and in the sea;
  2. baptism with the Cross or Cup. The Lord Jesus Christ is identified with the cross, MAT 20:22, But Jesus answered, "You do not know what you are asking. Are you able to drink the cup that I am about to drink?" They said to Him, "We are able." [See baptism of Jesus Christ below.]
  3. baptism of Fire. This is the baptism of judgment for those who do not believe in the salvation work of Christ on the cross, LUK 3:16, John answered and said to them all, "As for me, I baptize you with water; but One is coming who is mightier than I, and I am not fit to untie the thong of His sandals; He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire. 2TH 1:7-9, when the Lord Jesus will be revealed from Heaven with His mighty angels in flaming fire, dealing out retribution to those who do not know God and to those who do not obey the Gospel of Our Lord Jesus. These will pay the penalty of eternal destruction, away from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of His power.
  4. baptism of the Holy Spirit. God the Holy Spirit administers this baptism or identification at the moment anyone believes in the substitutionary spiritual death of Jesus Christ on the cross. The Holy Spirit enters the believer into union with Jesus Christ and places the believer positionally at the right hand of God the Father. This position is the basis of having a relationship with God forever. The baptism of the Holy Spirit is not an emotional experience; nor is it speaking in tongues. In salvation, our volition is involved only in our decision to accept Christ as Savior.
The three ritual baptisms are those where water is used in a symbolic way to teach a doctrinal lesson or principle. Identification, however, is still the issue. The immersion and the water are real, but the symbolic meaning of the water and what it represents varies depending on the doctrine being taught. The three ritual baptisms are:
  1. baptism by John the Baptist. The water in the Jordan River was symbolic, in that it was a representation of the Kingdom of God about which John preached. The people that came to John, as he stood in the water, entered the water as unbelievers, unsaved and with no hope. Being immersed in the water simply represented being accepted into the Kingdom of God through salvation. John was preaching repentance, which means the changing of one's mind about Christ. Those baptized were being identified with God's kingdom, and they were saying in effect, I have trusted in Jesus Christ as my personal Savior. The water itself was used merely as an illustration for those being newly identified with the Kingdom of God. By using their free will to accept Christ as personal Savior, they came out of the water as believers in the salvation work of the cross, MAT 3:6; MAT 3:11, And they were being baptized [identified with the kingdom of God through salvation] by him in the Jordan River, as they confessed their sins. "As for me, I baptize you with water for repentance [change of mind toward Christ], but He [Jesus Christ] Who is coming after me is mightier than I, and I am not fit to remove His sandals; He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.
  2. baptism of Jesus. Again, water was used to illustrate a doctrine that was to be learned. What made this baptism unique is that Jesus Christ was not a sinner. Therefore, the water was symbolic not of salvation and the kingdom of God, but rather of God the Father's will. Jesus Christ identified Himself with the Father's will by His execution of Phase One - going to the cross and providing our so great salvation, MAT 3:13-17, Then Jesus arrived from Galilee at the Jordan [coming] to John, to be baptized by him. But John tried to prevent Him, saying, "I have need to be baptized by You, and do You come to me?" But Jesus answering said to him, "Permit [it] at this time; for in this way it is fitting for us to fulfill all righteousness." Then he permitted Him. After being baptized, Jesus came up immediately from the water; and behold, the heavens were opened, and he [John the Baptist] saw the Spirit of God descending as a dove [and] lighting on Him, and behold, a voice out of the heavens said, "This is My beloved Son, in Whom I am well pleased."
    Jesus' immersion into the water symbolized Our Lord's obedience to the Father's plan for His first advent, a plan that no one but the impeccable Lord Jesus Christ could execute. No matter what certain religious sects may teach, we as believers cannot 'follow the Lord in baptism'.
  3. baptism of the Believer in the Church-age. As the writers of New Testament Scripture were inspired, through the filling of the Holy Spirit, to write down God's exact and direct will for mankind [mystery doctrine of the Church-age], Bible doctrine was also taught verbally all over the ancient world between 30 A.D. and 96 A.D. The Bible at that time had not yet been completed, so pastor-teachers taught from either the doctrines that they had heard verbally, or from written doctrines they had received in the form of a letter. These pastor-teachers found out that in the art of teaching, one must communicate what one knows in a manner understandable to those being taught. This method of communication requires illustrations and examples.

water was found to be a great illustration in identifying and understanding a point of doctrine. The Lord Jesus Christ understood this principle when He spoke to His disciples, MAT 28:18-19, And Jesus came up and spoke to them, saying, "All authority has been given to Me in Heaven and on earth. Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them [teaching believers by illustration and identification] in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit.
    The Lord instructed His disciples to go out into the world and spread the good news of salvation, and then teach the doctrines related to salvation to these new believers by using water as an analogy or illustration. This is shown in ACT 8:26-39, But an angel of the Lord spoke to Philip saying, "Get up and go south to the road that descends from Jerusalem to Gaza." (This is a desert [road].) So he got up and went; and there was an Ethiopian eunuch, a court official of Candace, queen of the Ethiopians, who was in charge of all her treasure; and he had come to Jerusalem to worship, and he was returning and sitting in his chariot, and was reading the prophet Isaiah. Then the Spirit said to Philip, "Go up and join this chariot." Philip ran up and heard him reading Isaiah the prophet, and said, "Do you understand what you are reading?" And he said, "Well, how could I, unless someone guides me?" And he invited Philip to come up and sit with him. Now the passage of Scripture that he was reading was this: "He was led as a sheep to slaughter; and as a lamb before its shearer is silent, so He does not open His mouth. In humiliation, His judgment was taken away; who will relate His generation? For His life is removed from the earth." The eunuch answered Philip and said, "Please [tell me], of whom does the prophet say this? Of himself or of someone else?" Then Philip opened his mouth, and beginning from this Scripture he preached Jesus to him. As they went along the road they came to some water; and the eunuch said, "Look! water! What prevents me from being baptized?" And Philip said, "If you believe with all your heart, you may." And he answered and said, "I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God." And he ordered the chariot to stop; and they both went down into the water, Philip as well as the eunuch, and he baptized [taught by illustration and identification] him [with the person and work of the Lord Jesus Christ]. When they came up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord snatched Philip away; and the eunuch no longer saw him, but went on his way rejoicing.
Cont

Upvote 0

linssue55

Senior Veteran
Jul 31, 2005
Tucson Az
✟11,739.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Water baptism was an illustration, a teaching aide, a picture of the real baptism of the Holy Spirit, which had taken place at the precise moment the Ethiopian eunuch believed in the substitutionary salvation work of Jesus Christ on the cross. It was not, and is not, a requirement for salvation. water was used, prior to the canon of Scripture being complete, to illustrate the doctrine of being identified with Jesus Christ and His work on the cross. The Ethiopian eunuch being baptized was already a believer. He had already accepted Jesus Christ as his personal Savior, and he was already saved. Philip was teaching a doctrinal principle to a believer, not to an unbeliever. An unbeliever cannot understand spiritual things, 1CO 2:14, But a natural man [unbeliever] does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually appraised.
When the Ethiopian eunuch entered the water, Philip was teaching the fact that he had been identified with Jesus Christ in His death and that he was rejecting human good. Each and every sin of the human race was judged on the cross. So, any and all human effort and good works used by man in an attempt to achieve salvation or spirituality is rejected by God. There is only one way into the kingdom of God, JOH 14:6, Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me."
No work or effort on the part of mankind to achieve salvation has ever been, or will ever be, part of the Pre-designed Plan of God, EPH 2:8-9, For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, [it is] the gift of God; not as a result of works, so that no one may boast.
God can only accept what is His, MAT 22:21, Then He said to them, "Then render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and to God the things that are God's."
God's perfect righteousness can only accept what is perfect, and the best works of mankind, no matter how perfect we may think they are, are nothing but filthy rags in the sight of God, ISA 64:6, For all of us have become like one who is unclean, and all our righteous deeds are like a filthy garment
Part of baptism, or identification with the work of Jesus Christ on the cross, is that the believer has already been taught and understands that any and all human good is rejected and dead, not only as a way to salvation but also as a means of achieving spirituality. This is also known as retroactive positional truth, which is victory over human good or death to self.

As the Ethiopian came up out of the water, he was baptized or identified with the air, which represented the resurrection, ascension and session of Jesus Christ as He is seated at the right hand of God the Father. The Ethiopian was taught that the baptism of the Holy Spirit at the moment of salvation put him positionally with the Lord Jesus Christ at the right hand of the Father. This is known as current positional truth. From this position, the believer realizes that security in his relationship with the one and only true God will last forever, JOH 10:28-29, "And I give eternal life to them, and they will never perish; and no one will snatch them out of My hand. My Father, Who has given [them] to Me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch [them] out of the Father's hand."
Being positionally with the Lord Jesus Christ, the Ethiopian eunuch had the basis for being filled with the Holy Spirit and subsequently producing Divine good from inside the Pre-designed Plan of God. Divine good is the fruit that is automatically produced by the believer who is thinking Bible doctrine and applying it to his life within God's Pre-designed Plan.

In conclusion, the purpose of water baptism was to teach by illustration the following doctrines:
  1. The believer is identified with Jesus Christ in His death and resurrection;
  2. The believer has victory over, and rejects, human good;
  3. The believer is positionally seated with Jesus Christ at the right hand of God the Father; and
  4. The believer must have a clear understanding of how to produce Divine good from within the Pre-designed Plan of God.
water baptism was never intended to be a means of salvation. Salvation is by faith alone in Christ alone, with nothing added to it. Nor was water baptism intended to be a means of spirituality. It was never anything more than a teaching aide - a way of illustrating the doctrines related to being identified with the death and resurrection of Our Lord Jesus Christ.

Upvote 0

PaladinValer

Apr 7, 2004
Myrtle Beach, SC
✟30,305.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Dispensationalism is a 19th century theology taught by an excommunicated and apostate priest from my own Anglican Church. The writings of the Apostolic and Early Church Fathers directly contradict such theology and therefore, as they were the original interpreters of the Holy Writ, such theology is outside orthodoxy and I do not and cannot accept it.

Holy Baptism is a requirement. Jesus says so, the Apostles say so, their students say so, so on and so forth (barring the temporary revival of certain aspects or full entities of certain heresies along the way) until the Protestant Reformation. Luther taught it was necessary as did John Hus a century before him, which is why Lutherans and Moravians to this very day have not just an orthodox Baptismal theology but Luther himself held Holy Baptism to be so linchpin that many other churches and denominations asides from Lutheranism study his views when they study that sacrament, be it in Sunday School to seminary.

Upvote 0