Is a smile a human thing only humans can do?

tooldtocare

Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2010
united states
✟18,750.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Is the smile a man made Phynamina?
A smile is a smile

When a wolf shows his teeth,.,./\,./\.,.,

.,.,.,..,.He means business

When we humans show our teeth it’s called a smile

Is the difference an evolutionary thing and once upon a time we smiled for the same reason wolves smile today-?

is a smile universal-? Just asking :)-

Dada smile:

http://tinyurl.com/kpsv7cj

Now this IS a smile--

http://tinyurl.com/p2pzhs3

What are you smiling about-?

roamer_1

Jan 12, 2016
Northwest Montana, USA
✟23,570.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
naw... Having had Wolf/Malamute/Shepherd mixes most of my life, I can tell you certain that they smile. It is not always a threat when the teeth are bare - and one certainly knows the difference...

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟12,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't think this one from your link is a smile:
23646d7e43b429f5dbdfaea2df66da63.jpg

Look up the difference between a Duchenne smile and a Say Cheese smile.

I concur with roamer that dogs do smile and laugh.

Upvote 0

tooldtocare

Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2010
united states
✟18,750.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Actually for a wolf they like to see the teeth, if your ever near like a rescued wolf or anything don't close your eyes and let them see your teeth.

Ya right and then the wolf shows his teeth just before he bites your ## off LOL

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Locutus

May 28, 2014
✟22,874.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
As with many behaviours considered exclusively human (like ethics and smiling), one need only study a wolf pack for an hour or two to get some perspective.

Refusal to do so will be considered an acknowledgement that we are far closer to our canine brothers than we are to deities :)

Upvote 0

KitKatMatt

stupid bleeding heart feminist liberal
May 2, 2013
✟29,520.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Dogs evolved very closely with humans for a long time. They have picked up on human behavior in this time, and it wouldn't surprise me if a dog "smile" came from this long term domestication and partnership.

Dogs do smile, but they are not the same smiles as human smiles. Here's a great post about dog smiles and what they are and aren't: http://tinyurl.com/hejj8dr

Smiles seem to be universal among humans, though sometimes with conditions such as eye contact and other things.

Wolves are very different from dogs, even though they shared a common ancestor. Their behavior is very different, including the way they view humans. I do not know if wolves "smile" in the same way that dogs do, which may have to do with the fact that they did not evolve right next to us and so do not understand our behavior as much. It has been proven that wolves do not look at humans as members of their group, even hand raised wolves. Dogs look at us as other members of their family (interestingly enough, they know we are not dogs!), to the point where they even release the same bonding chemical when they look a human in the eyes that they release after giving birth to puppies!

Not all smiles are equal though, even in the human world. A person can tell with someone else's smile is forced, or if they're grimacing, or sneering. As the link above explains, this is also true for dogs- the have "happy" smiles that mean "I'm content!", and then stressed facial language that means "I'm not comfortable".

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟12,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think what people have that makes us unique among animals is written, symbolic language that allows us to accumulate knowledge far beyond our immediate acquaintance.

Reactions: jardiniere
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,575.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Animals have their own body language to convey happyness and amusement.

Dogs were partially domesticated because their body language is quite similiar and easy to read for humans, while cats appear as aloof and strange because their body language is non-intuitive for us. For example, a cat smiles by slowly closing it's eyelids. Contrast these dogs doing their level best to convey happyness:

Upvote 0

tooldtocare

Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2010
united states
✟18,750.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I purchased a house with a carport and storage closet in the carport. The first day I moved in I noticed the storage room door was open so I closed it. Several days later I noticed a smell coming from the closet so I opened it. To my dismay I saw six dead kittens on the shelf. When I turned around there was a black cat at me feet. I looked down and promises her that if she ever had another litter I would care for them. Several months latter I saw another litter on the same storage shelf.

Several weeks later while sitting in my back yard I watched the mother and the kittens crossing my yard into the forest beyond. To my surprise one of the kittens broke rank and came running over to me. Ten years latter that cat is still with me. And she does indeed smile from time to time. I will try to get a picture of her smiling if I can.

Some animals do indeed smile from time to time
Btw she is a spitting image of her mother

:)-

Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Animals have their own body language to convey happyness and amusement.

Dogs were partially domesticated because their body language is quite similiar and easy to read for humans, while cats appear as aloof and strange because their body language is non-intuitive for us. For example, a cat smiles by slowly closing it's eyelids. Contrast these dogs doing their level best to convey happyness:
I find these infinitely more touching than the human reactions to soldiers coming home.

Upvote 0