• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Oct 3, 2009
✟15,159.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I know that I am supposed to just dismiss my irrational fears and remind myself that they are just the OCD, they are not things I would do, because I know who I am and who I am in Christ.

Sometimes the irrational fears seem so strong that it is difficult to not go into an OCD worrying state and start thinking "what if" and tell myself the lie "how do I know it's not true."

How do others deal with their irrational fears and intrusive thoughts?

Kimberly

Reactions: annrobert

annrobert

Jesus is my Shelter my Refuge my Fortress
Jan 24, 2009
Canada
✟17,269.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I know that I am supposed to just dismiss my irrational fears and remind myself that they are just the OCD, they are not things I would do, because I know who I am and who I am in Christ.

It is good that you know who you are in Christ.That is awesome.
Sometimes knowing what we are supposed to do and being able to carry it out are two different things.I really understand and empathize with that.
OCD can at times be overwhelming and the fears seem beyond our control.Thankfully our spirit is safe and protected.Jesus said that none would snatch us out of His hand and we shall never perish.Jesus also understands our infirmities and He says we can do nothing without Him.So Jesus totally understands us.He is merciful and compassionate.He is protecting us and loves us .He is never upset with us over this.

Sometimes the irrational fears seem so strong that it is difficult to not go into an OCD worrying state and start thinking "what if" and tell myself the lie "how do I know it's not true."

I understand that.My heart goes out to you:hug:.The terror I went through was totally beyond my abilty to overcome or escape from.

Kimberly

Mathew 11

28Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

29Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. 30For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

Hebrews 4:16
Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.

Psalm 23

1The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.
2He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.
3He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
4Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
5Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over. 6Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.

1 Peter 5:7
Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you.

love
annrobert

Upvote 0

frets2005

Oct 7, 2009
✟7,630.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Sometimes I have these same feelings, of irrational fears, or catastophic thoughts. I've been through this for a long time, and I don't try to stop them, because I realize that God knows that I don't want them. However there are days that I have terrible times as well. I try to pray, "Father, I place these thoughts into your captivity" However this is as I am also on medication for my OCD (paxil), and have been dealing with this for a long time, and spent a month in a hospital. Remember God loves you, and knows all things, ask Him to hold you, and He will, even if you can't feel it, He will....

Upvote 0

dabro

A child of the living God.
Aug 31, 2008
Newalla Ok.
Visit site
✟89,427.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Your answering your own ?. It's the ocd. That's the problem. You avoid answering and try to stay busy. I'm not being harsh and I hope you know that. I wish so badly I could show you how to avoid ruminating but in time you will realize that your tired ocd fighting it and give up. Acceptence of who you are and just hang in there. I'm not going to give you reassurence cos all that does is telling your OCD is this answer the way out of my obsession. MY best wishes to you.

Upvote 0
Oct 3, 2009
✟15,159.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I understand what you are saying, dabro. I am successful sometimes at not ruminating on the thought, but sometimes the feeling of uncertainty just clamps me down and I start going through everything in my mind again.

I am starting CBT therapy today, so hopefully she can reinforce some of these things you are talking about with me too.

Upvote 0
E

Everlasting33

One of the reasons why we feel bad about our thoughts is because we have judged them as "wrong," or "sick," "bad" or "immoral." When we allow and accept our thoughts, we do not condemn and obsess but just acknowledge. This is certainly a task that takes much practicing but I have found it useful and my thoughts come and go more often without the condemnation.

Upvote 0

SawZaw

Mar 23, 2005
✟153.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Libertarian
The best way to get over the thoughts, is to just let them go. With OCD we often have this stupid idea that we have to "beat" these thoughts...and that's OCD's game- you can't; because it won't let you. Just let the thoughts go to the cross where they are dealt with, and you are forgiven. The only way to overcome these thoughts are with the truths of scripture, and the truth of the Gospel. Let Jesus do the job he already did for you on the cross, and stop trying to "win" against your own thoughts, because it's a rigged slot machine. Just dwell on Christ, and let the thought go like a leaf blowing in the wind. These are some helpful things my psychologist has shared with me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

seajoy

Senior Veteran
Jul 5, 2006
michigan
✟19,053.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
But what if the thoughts are fears of losing your faith/not believing anymore? Just dismiss those as well?
Yes, dismiss those as well. I had those thoughts for 8yrs and when I went to therapy, I dismissed the thoughts and they went away. Don't give the thoughts the time of day.....they are not worth it.

Upvote 0

andy212

Feb 27, 2010
Holly island
✟15,180.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Im i life coach for vunrable , abused teenages that have addiction problems broken home you name it my team and i work with them and give them the tools they need to just cope with life yes just every day things One of the tools we give them is when they start flapping inside through FEAR to try and rember just what the word Fear stands for F stands for FALSE E stands for EVIDANCE A stands for APPEARING R stands for REAL
FALSE EVIDANCE APPEARING REALLY
If you want to know more or just a chat to get it off you chest feel free to drop me a line you have a blessed day in the lord
a

Upvote 0

michael714

Apr 14, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
✟8,195.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
>The best way to get over the thoughts, is to just let them go. With OCD we often have this stupid idea that we have to "beat" these thoughts...and that's OCD's game- you can't; because it won't let you. Just let the thoughts go to the cross where they are dealt with, and you are forgiven. The only way to overcome these thoughts are with the truths of scripture, and the truth of the Gospel. Let Jesus do the job he already did for you on the cross, and stop trying to "win" against your own thoughts, because it's a rigged slot machine. Just dwell on Christ, and let the thought go like a leaf blowing in the wind. These are some helpful things my psychologist has shared with me.

Sawzaw, this was a great post. I had a horrible day yesterday with dark thoughts spiking all over the place and it was a great reminder not to try to "beat the thoughts" by playing their own game.

Upvote 0

gracealone

Apr 5, 2007
Michigan
✟18,349.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hi KImberly,
What wonderful counsel you've already been given! Couple things that help me are to keep in mind and expect that with OCD our emotional response to the thoughts often trumps our logic. So when my thoughts come and I get that familiar stab in my gut I try to remind myself that my brain is overreacting to the presence of the thoughts. Although this feels very distressing I can still make the correct choice to refuse to engage in any of the compulsive checking or reassurance seeking behaviors. If I do those things I will be teaching my brain that the thoughts must be an emergency. So I have to let them go without fighting against them, attempting to solve them, or seeking reassurance in response to them.A long time ago on this forum there was a really great guy named MarcB and he helped me so much with just one simple sentence. "I have to stop checking to try and make certain my faith is locked." The OCD cycle fueled by the checking activities.
It's not easy to ignore a fire alarm that keeps blaring in your head. It takes practice.
Mitzi

Kimberly

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums