May all beings have happiness and its causes
Apr 12, 2005
England, UK
✟20,261.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
The IRA has formally ordered an end to its armed campaign and says it will pursue exclusively peaceful means.

In a long-awaited statement, the republican organisation said it would follow a democratic path ending more than 30 years of violence.

Full article

Excellent news! I don't think I can express how wonderful this is! Let's sincerely hope that the IRA keep their promise, that all of the volunteers consent, that the splinter groups also avoid violence and that there can be true peace and a just resolution in Northern Ireland! :crossrc:

ScottishJohn

Contributor
Feb 3, 2005
Glasgow
✟16,690.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
First of all I agree! FANTASTIC news. I hope the authors of the War on terror (or whatever it is called now) are paying attention!

I just hope paisley suffers some kind of brainstorm so that he is rendered unable to speak until power sharing has resumed and steps forward have been taken. If the IRA prostrated themselves in front of Paisley, renownced republicanism and catholicism, and promised to cut his grass for 3 generations Paisley would still say Ah but.... (insert various unreasonable insulting and inflamatory statements seasoned with a healthy dose of biggotry).

Seriously, I believe the IRA think they can get more out of the political process, than they can from violence so I think this is a genuine gesture. Whether they will relinquish their drug rings and organised crime is another matter. What really concerns me is that Paisley will once again open his trap and put the kybosh on it all.

Upvote 0

Robbie_James_Francis

Apr 12, 2005
England, UK
✟20,261.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
ScottishJohn said:
I just hope paisley suffers some kind of brainstorm so that he is rendered unable to speak until power sharing has resumed and steps forward have been taken.

That would be the PG version of my feelings towards the man. ;)

Do you think that the loyalist paramilitaries will follow suit?

Upvote 0

ScottishJohn

Contributor
Feb 3, 2005
Glasgow
✟16,690.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Robbie_James_Francis said:
That would be the PG version of my feelings towards the man. ;)

Do you think that the loyalist paramilitaries will follow suit?

I would hope so, however like the IRA I fear that their actions have less and less to do with politics and more and more to do with organised crime. Very profitable so profitiable I wonder whether they can walk away from it. Will be interesting to see. Several scenarios spring to mind. One being that the loyalist paramilitaries break the peace by attacking what would now be seen as 'undefended' catholic areas. Some of the people involved in the whole mess are nutters and as always it is these people who are hardest to chance. However it is also much easier to isolate the nutters when the reasonable people who have supported terrorism have decided to pursue negotiations.

Upvote 0

ScottishJohn

Contributor
Feb 3, 2005
Glasgow
✟16,690.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Osel said:
They say this every week.

It would be more accurate to say that in the past they have occasionally made disarmament gestures, and encouraging noises maybe every 6 months...

As far as ordering all volunteers to dumb all weapons and cease all activity immediately that is a historic move and should be welcomed as such.

Upvote 0

Robbie_James_Francis

Apr 12, 2005
England, UK
✟20,261.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
ScottishJohn said:
It would be more accurate to say that in the past they have occasionally made disarmament gestures, and encouraging noises maybe every 6 months...

As far as ordering all volunteers to dumb all weapons and cease all activity immediately that is a historic move and should be welcomed as such.

Indeed. From what I can gather, the IRA have never made a move quite like this before. Of course, it all depends on whether or not they stick to it...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums