IowaLutheran's thread for translating Lutheran Sacramental theology into Anglicanese

Status
Not open for further replies.

pmcleanj

Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner
Mar 24, 2004
Alberta, Canada
Visit site
✟7,281.00
Faith
Anglican
I posted
Lutherans accept only two sacraments: baptism and communion. For them, what distinguishes a cleric is his call. As it was explained to me by the members of our ELCIC parish council: a seminarian who has completed his training cannot be ordained until he or she is called by a congregation to be their pastor. The congregation's call is the evidence that he is called by God to the pastorate, in response to which, he is ordained. Although Lutherans don't have the theological concept of a sacramental ordination, a person called to be the pastor-in-charge of a congregation is theologically understood to be a priest, but is usually not called "priest" in the congregation in order not to undermine the congregations self-understanding as priests in the Priesthood of all Believers.

and IowaLutheran replied:
I would quibble with your understanding of Lutheran sacramental theology - some of what you have stated is what is commonly assumed and taught but is not really correct. That would be way off topic however!

and he was absolutely right, it would be off-topic -- for that thread. But I'm actually quite interested in hearing how he would re-word what I said to make it factually accurate. I've already noticed that what I hear from the average congregant differs somewhat from what I hear from council-members who have to deal with the administrative details of the pastor's contract and our synod membership, and such, and their understanding differs from what I read on the Liturgy-L mailing list.

And, of course, all of them differ from the rather less-amicable-to-anglicanism opinions expressed by WELS and LCMS lutherans both lay and clerical, in which I am not particularly interested for the purposes of this thread, and which I have received in abundance when I have posted in TCL, which is why I am posting this thread specifically here.

No Swansong

Formerly Jtbdad Christian on every board!
Apr 14, 2004
Ohio
✟28,633.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
I look forward to it as I have heard different views from different synods and especially from European Lutherans as compared to American (U.S. Canada and other countries)

I hope to learn something new! This was a good idea Pamela.

Upvote 0

IowaLutheran

Veteran
Aug 29, 2004
Iowa
✟9,980.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Okay - here's a stab at explaining what I was getting at.

It is commonly taught and understood that Lutherans only call two things "sacraments". This is what I learned in confirmation, and it is based on Luther's Small Catechism, which states that there are three elements to a sacrament - they are:
  1. instituted by God;
  2. in which God Himself has joined His Word of promise to the visible element;
  3. and by which He offers, gives and seals the forgiveness of sin earned by Christ.
By this definition, only baptism and communion make the cut.

The Small Catechism is a part of the Lutheran Confessions found in the Book of Concord. However, there is no definitive list in the Book of Concord of the number of sacraments.

While the Small Catechism is the primary teaching document of the Lutheran Church, the Augsburg Confession is generally regarded as the primary confessional document which all other confessional documents measure up against.

Article 13 of the Augsburg Confession talks about sacraments, and does not list them. In response to the AC, the Catholics insisted that the Lutherans accept the 7 sacraments. In the Lutheran response (Melancthon's Apology of the Augsburg Confession, also a part of the Book of Concord) three rites are specifically declared sacraments: baptism, communion, and confession/absolution ("for these have the command of God and the promise of grace"). In Luther's Smalcald Articles (also in the Book of Concord), confession/absolution is also called a sacrament.

So, there is a precise definition to the sacraments in Lutheran theology found in the Small Catechism, which limits the number to two, and then there is a slightly broader definition which allows confession/absolution to be added.

Reading on in the Apology of the Augsburg Confession, though, it is apparent that there can be a broader understanding of sacraments within Lutheranism. His criticism of the Roman Catholic system was that once you get beyond the main three he listed, Rome had arbitrarily limited the number to 7. Marriage is a case in point - it is not one of the three primary sacraments because it was not instutited in the New Testament and relates to the bodily life instead of the promise of forgiveness of sins. However, he acknowledges a sacramental quality to marriage because it is commanded by God. Melancthon then points out that if marriage is counted as a sacrament because it has the command of God and some promise added to it, then the list of sacraments must be longer than 7 - he gives the example of prayer, which has the command of God, but is not listed in the 7.

Specifically as to ordination, Melancthon is willing to call ordination a sacrament with reference to the ministry of the Word, but does not include it within the three primary sacraments. The Confessions do not address the impact of ordination on the person. Generally, Lutherans do not view ordination as causing a permanent mark on the soul, so you are correct in that the community and a call is important to ordination. As I understand Catholic/Anglican theology, which leads to the conclusion, "once a priest, always a priest" regardless of whether the person is called to serve. Lutherans, however, do have the laying on of the hands, and the invocation of the Holy Spirit to move within the ordained person.

To conclude, I have heard Anglicans refer to the 2 "major" and the 5 "minor" sacraments. To put Lutheran theology into Anglicanese, I think the concept of "major" and "minor" sacraments is not completely foreign to Lutheranism, although Melancthon would be inclined that if you are going to call anything beyond the primary 2 (or 3) a "sacrament", there are more then 5 minor sacraments.

Upvote 0

pmcleanj

Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner
Mar 24, 2004
Alberta, Canada
Visit site
✟7,281.00
Faith
Anglican
Thank-you! Beautifully explained.

I've heard other theologians argue, and quote precedent from many different ages to the same effect, that there are different numberings or lists of sacraments. The Anglican church has no dogma that limits the number of sacraments to seven. It's just that there are seven that we more-or-less agree on.

Nonetheless, I'm going to refrain from explaining to any lay Lutherans that they do in fact believe in more than two sacraments.;)

Upvote 0

IowaLutheran

Veteran
Aug 29, 2004
Iowa
✟9,980.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married

Nonetheless, I'm going to refrain from explaining to any lay Lutherans that they do in fact believe in more than two sacraments.;)

To be fair, I consider myself to be an "evangelical catholic" Lutheran, so I tend to emphasize Lutheran confessional writings that are more open to maintaining the traditions of the Church on matters such as sacraments and church polity. Other Lutherans emphasize confessional writings which are not so open to tradition. Its kind of like Anglicans who emphasize the 39 Articles versus Anglo-Catholics.

I think I'm right, of course ;) but you can find Lutherans who will disagree with my interpretations.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.