Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Fr. Dwight Longenecker

[SATIRE ALERT]

Introducing guest blogger The Rt Rev Dr Jim Bracket, Anglican Bishop of Cheddar, Honorary Master of Latimer Sixth Form College, Nuneaton and Warden of the Chamberpot to HM King Charles III.

As an Anglican bishop in the Catholic tradition, I’ve been asked to contribute a few lines expressing my hopes and prayers for the further progress of our ecumenical hopes.

Not long ago it was my privilege to go on an ecumenical pilgrimage with some members of the Diocese of Cheddar. We were joined by our Roman Catholic brothers and sisters who were accompanied by my counterpart—Vincent Brennan, the Bishop of Chalke. “Chalk and Cheese” they like to call us!

In preparation for our pilgrimage, Bishop Brennan thought we might like to study together I Did It My Way— the new book by Pope Francis’ favorite author, the English journalist Edward Ebony. Mr Ebony has written a well received biography of Pope Francis intriguingly titled, Francis—The New Luther. I must say, I very much enjoyed Mr Ebony’s book. He really did capture the spirit of the present pontiff.

As an Anglican in the Catholic tradition I very much admire the Argentinian pope. What a Reformer! What a breath of fresh air! I can honestly say he speaks for me. The Roman Catholics I have come to know and love understand my present position. I am a Catholic…just not a Roman Catholic. Indeed many of my people jokingly say that I am, in fact, “more Catholic than the Catholics”! I try to gently convince my people who are of a more “low church” persuasion not to be alarmed by my predilection for “smells and bells”. I find these outward traditions help to root my own faith more deeply in the Catholic tradition we all share. I am also very fond of the writings of Thomas Merton.

While I do admit to being a Catholic (albeit in the Church of England) I could never take the step to become a Roman Catholic. I am English and the Church of England is so quintessentially English! I simply would not feel at home in the Roman church. Not only is it so very Italian and Irish in its culture, but, as I said to Lord Balloon in the House of Lords last week, “The Roman Church, it seems to me, has always been too interested in political power.”

Continued below.