Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
Actually, I don't need to do that;

Wrong answer.

Academic honesty demands that you build your case, not just tearing down someone else's.

As someone who is well versed in the history of the early Church, particularly in the history of movements in the early Church which came to be regarded as heretical, I have very little interest in random essays over the Internet.

Welcome to the internet, the great equalizer. Just because a person doesn't have the "proper" title doesn't mean that they don't have something to say.

Because Moroni taught Joseph Smith another Gospel. Had he called him to repentence and told him to read and reread the canonical New Testament, and not catered to his young imagination with a wonderful and entirely spurious series of stories completely at odd with the faith of the ancient Church, that would be another matter.

This is not academic honesty.

You're approaching matters with a conclusion already in mind, leading you to dismiss anything that doesn't support your conclusion.

I honestly thought you said you were going to be honest here.

It doesn't. You have the money to procure your own wine now, and to own your own vineyards and control every aspect of the process of vine production. So why cause scandal by continuing to use water?

If this is the biggest "scandal", then mainline Christianity should consider its priorities.

I know full well about the Word of Wisdom. It, by itself, is a testimony to the falsehood of Mormon beliefs, in light of the Wedding Feast of Cana.

Alcohol was consumed back then because water was not always safe. The process of converting the materials into alcohol killed the nasties that were in the water supply, which is why alcohol was so common back in the day: once people got into civilized societies, alcohol began.

So the Mormon church does own or control ancestry.com then?

No.

How much more clearly does this need to be stated?

Frankly, I would rather we set fire to our church's vital records, which date back to the fourth century, btw, then let them fall into Mormon hands;

This statement says some very horrible things about your belief system.

Reactions: Jane_Doe
Upvote 0

Wgw

Pray For Brussels!
May 24, 2015
✟15,107.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
Wrong answer.

Academic honesty demands that you build your case, not just tearing down someone else's.

That's not strictly speaking accurate; it also is inapplicable I think in a theological debate. As I see it, extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence, and the Mormon church has not begun to provide anything approaching the evidence required to take any of its theological claims at face value. I don't believe, from my understanding of the history, that you have satisfactorily proven that Joseph Smith was even the recipient of an actual prophetic message; there is some evidence to suggest that he may not have been entirely honest. Assuming he was, however, we remain still hundreds of miles, intellectually speaking, from any kind of proof that the Book of Mormon does not represent another Gospel.

Welcome to the internet, the great equalizer. Just because a person doesn't have the "proper" title doesn't mean that they don't have something to say.

They might have something to say, but being a network engineer and studying to prepare for seminary leaves me with precious little time, and thus I am most interested in the works of trusted authors with sound credentials.

Note this is not an appeal to authority; if you wish to present their claims in this argument I will review them, I simply have no desire to seek out this information otherwise, as I have wuite a full plate.

This is not academic honesty.

You're approaching matters with a conclusion already in mind, leading you to dismiss anything that doesn't support your conclusion.

I honestly thought you said you were going to be honest here.

I undertook to avoid any logical fallacies, to avoid intentionally misrepresenting your position, and to correct any factual errors in my post, and I believe I am meeting these commitments. However, I am asking @St_Worm2, the ombudsman of our club, who I believe is also a friend of yours, to conduct an independent review of all my posts in this thread to make sure they agree with our internal quality control standards for honesty and integrity in debating (which I provided you access to via a PM). If he finds any deficiencies in my posts, I will immediately rectify them and offer a formal apology.

Also, if at any time you believe I have flamed you personally or violated the rules of this forum, please report my posts to the moderators, or PM me if you wish and I will edit them.

If this is the biggest "scandal", then mainline Christianity should consider its priorities.

By scandal, I mean "stumbling block" as opposed to the sort of moral and ethical fiascos that have sadly plagued some churches. Your own church did have a few of those, btw; recall Mountain Meadows, polygamy, and the issue of African Americans joining the church. All of which, to your credit, you have done a very good job rectifying.

Alcohol was consumed back then because water was not always safe. The process of converting the materials into alcohol killed the nasties that were in the water supply, which is why alcohol was so common back in the day: once people got into civilized societies, alcohol began.

Water is still quite dangerous in many parts of the world. But that said, ancient Rome had clean water thanks to its excellent system of plumbing; recall St. Paul's injunction to Timothy to "drink a little wine for thy stomach."

I believe the limited use of wine, not drunkennes mind you, but the limited and careful use of wine, in the Eucharist and for other purposes, is an integral part of the Christian faith. I think my own former denomination, the UMC, historically erred in its support for the temperance movement.

So the Mormon church does own or control ancestry.com then?

How much more clearly does this need to be stated?

Why do Mormons get discounts? What is the precise nature of the relationship between Mormonism and ancestry.com?

Frankly, I would rather we set fire to our church's vital records, which date back to the fourth century, btw, then let them fall into Mormon hands;

This statement says some very horrible things about your belief system.

How so? These records are of great historical value, but they are not sacred relics; their destruction would be important but would not be an act of sacrilege. Destroying them to prevent them from being abused by your church, in order to facilitate the proxy baptism of deceased Orthodox, which we do regard as a sacrilege, would be in my opinion a justifiable course of action.

Upvote 0

Wgw

Pray For Brussels!
May 24, 2015
✟15,107.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
We do need to stay on topic here, but you guys can start your own thread.

I believe we are fully on topic; we are specifically discussing the subject of the Mormon temple ritual of proxy baptism, which I regard as a sacrilegious act, in that it implies a defect in the faith the deceased had while they were alive and concurrently shows a total disregard for their personal decision not to become Mormon. When I die, my preference would be the Mormons respect my lifelong commitment to the Orthodox Church and refrain from water-baptizing me.

Reactions: civilwarbuff
Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I believe we are fully on topic; we are specifically discussing the subject of the Mormon temple ritual of proxy baptism, which I regard as a sacrilegious act, in that it implies a defect in the faith the deceased had while they were alive and concurrently shows a total disregard for their personal decision not to become Mormon. When I die, my preference would be the Mormons respect my lifelong commitment to the Orthodox Church and refrain from water-baptizing me.
Oh. My bad.

Continue on.

Reactions: Wgw
Upvote 0

withwonderingawe

Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2015
Salem Ut
✟161,549.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Wgw Now, you can argue that what you teach corresponds with what St. Paul taught, but then you run into 2 Corinthians 2:15, Matthew 16:18, and so on.

I’m assuming that you use Matt 16 to say the Church was founded on Peter being the rock, I reject that argument because it is not Biblical.

Jesus was asking the question and it’s the question which the passages is about.

Who do people say that I am, some say John the Baptist some; “Elias; and others, Jeremias, or one of the prophets.”

He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am?

“And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.

And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Bar-jona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.

And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.”

The phrase the ‘Living God’ is important, Moses had a living God one which could see, ear and EAT! Then He tells Peter a mortal man like myself did not reveal this knowledge to you but my Father in heaven. Peter had at some point had a revelation from God the Father. He doesn’t write about it for it was one of the sacred things they never revealed.

It is not on Peter that the Lord’s church was going to be founded put on the knowledge and revelation that Jesus was the Messiah and the Son of the Living God, “and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it”

Peter even acknowledges this in his first letter in the second chapter.

“ If so be ye have tasted that the Lord is gracious. To whom coming, as unto a living stone, disallowed indeed of men, but chosen of God, and precious…Wherefore also it is contained in the scripture, Behold, I lay in Sion a chief corner stone, elect, precious: and he that believeth on him shall not be confounded.”

Paul echoes this in Eph 1-2

“(I) Cease not to give thanks for you, making mention of you in my prayers;
That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him:

The eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints,…..For through him we both have access by one Spirit unto the Father. Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God; And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone…”

And in 1 Cor 10 speaking of Israel Paul wrote
“And did all drink the same spiritual drink: for they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock was Christ.”

The idea that Peter was the rock was part of “another Gospel” which neither Peter nor Paul subscribed to.

Upvote 0

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
That's not strictly speaking accurate; it also is inapplicable I think in a theological debate.

Proper theological rules are governed by academic debating technique.

Note this is not an appeal to authority; if you wish to present their claims in this argument I will review them, I simply have no desire to seek out this information otherwise, as I have wuite a full plate.

I have four different titles at the local newspaper, and I'm constantly having to deal with family issues. I don't have a lot of time, either.

I undertook to avoid any logical fallacies, to avoid intentionally misrepresenting your position, and to correct any factual errors in my post, and I believe I am meeting these commitments. However, I am asking @St_Worm2, the ombudsman of our club, who I believe is also a friend of yours, to conduct an independent review of all my posts in this thread to make sure they agree with our internal quality control standards for honesty and integrity in debating (which I provided you access to via a PM). If he finds any deficiencies in my posts, I will immediately rectify them and offer a formal apology.

Also, if at any time you believe I have flamed you personally or violated the rules of this forum, please report my posts to the moderators, or PM me if you wish and I will edit them.

Why do Mormons get discounts? What is the precise nature of the relationship between Mormonism and ancestry.com?

*headdesk*

Ancestry.com contacted the church at some point about gaining access to the church's archives. The church gave permission, and so much of the data on Ancestry.com is actually data they got from the church. In exchange for this, people who are LDS get discounts.

That's it.

How so? These records are of great historical value,

You just answered your own question: you're talking about destroying valuable historical documents out of spite.

Upvote 0

withwonderingawe

Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2015
Salem Ut
✟161,549.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I didn't know where to put this so I just choose this spot;

Five years ago someone didn't turn off some equipment in the Provo Tabernacle, it was a built in 1898 and it burned nearly to the ground. Only the outside walls were left standing. It was used for church services and community programs. I attended some events there like the community Messiah sing along. Anyway they turned it into a new Temple and construction took 5 years.

I have some pictures here which you might find interesting just purely out of; "how did they do that?" They dug the bottom out of it and put the thing up on stilts

//www.google.com/search?q=Pictures+of+new+Provo+center+temple&espv=2&biw=1528&bih=889&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiz84aIutLLAhVEuYMKHaLDCjkQsAQIGw

Upvote 0

Wgw

Pray For Brussels!
May 24, 2015
✟15,107.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
Wgw Now, you can argue that what you teach corresponds with what St. Paul taught, but then you run into 2 Corinthians 2:15, Matthew 16:18, and so on.

I’m assuming that you use Matt 16 to say the Church was founded on Peter being the rock, I reject that argument because it is not Biblical.

I don't actually; Orthodoxy does not rest on a high Petrology.

Jesus was asking the question and it’s the question which the passages is about.

Who do people say that I am, some say John the Baptist some; “Elias; and others, Jeremias, or one of the prophets.”

He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am?

“And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.

And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Bar-jona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.

And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.”

The phrase the ‘Living God’ is important, Moses had a living God one which could see, ear and EAT! Then He tells Peter a mortal man like myself did not reveal this knowledge to you but my Father in heaven. Peter had at some point had a revelation from God the Father. He doesn’t write about it for it was one of the sacred things they never revealed.

It is not on Peter that the Lord’s church was going to be founded put on the knowledge and revelation that Jesus was the Messiah and the Son of the Living God, “and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it”

Peter even acknowledges this in his first letter in the second chapter.

“ If so be ye have tasted that the Lord is gracious. To whom coming, as unto a living stone, disallowed indeed of men, but chosen of God, and precious…Wherefore also it is contained in the scripture, Behold, I lay in Sion a chief corner stone, elect, precious: and he that believeth on him shall not be confounded.”

Paul echoes this in Eph 1-2

“(I) Cease not to give thanks for you, making mention of you in my prayers;
That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him:

The verses you mention testify to the integral unity of the Church as a living Eucharistic communion.

The eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints,…..For through him we both have access by one Spirit unto the Father. Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God; And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone…”

And in 1 Cor 10 speaking of Israel Paul wrote
“And did all drink the same spiritual drink: for they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock was Christ.”

The idea that Peter was the rock was part of “another Gospel” which neither Peter nor Paul subscribed to.

Indeed. But it was closer to the Gospel than the rather bizarre story of the Book of Mormon.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟220,119.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,170.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
There are a few eccentricities, however. The Mormons subscribe to a rather too literal interpretation of our Lord's injunction against "vain repetition," taking this to what I consider the somewhat ridiculous extreme of not repeating the Lord's Prayer verbatim. Instead, Mormons are masters of ex tempore prayer; they artfully improvise prayers in Elizabethan English that would not sound out of place in an Anglican communion service, in some cases following loosely the structure of the Lord's Prayer or certsin other "outlines." Communion takes us to the next peculiarity; the Mormons have revived the ancient heresy of the Hydroparastae, by illicitly substituting water for wine in direct violation of the canons of the ancient Church.

Mormon Scripture, Doctrine and Covenants 20
75 It is expedient that the church meet together often topartake of bread and wine in the remembrance of the Lord Jesus;

76 And the elder or priest shall administer it; and after thismanner shall he administer it—he shall kneel with the church and call upon the Father in solemn prayer, saying:

77 O God, the Eternal Father, we ask thee in the name of thy Son, Jesus Christ, to bless and sanctify this bread to the souls of all those who partake of it, that they may eat in remembrance of the body of thy Son, and witness unto thee, O God, the Eternal Father, that they are willing to take upon them the name of thy Son, and always remember him and keep his commandments which he has given them; that they may always have his Spirit to be with them. Amen.

78 The manner of administering the wine—he shall take the cup also, and say:

79 O God, the Eternal Father, we ask thee in the name of thy Son, Jesus Christ, to bless and sanctify this wine to the souls of all those who drink of it, that they may do it in remembrance of the blood of thy Son, which was shed for them; that they may witness unto thee, O God, the Eternal Father, that they do always remember him, that they may have his Spirit to be with them. Amen.

The two prayers are said verbatim every Sunday substituting the word water for the word wine.

Yet they don't recite the Lord's Prayer.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Mormon Scripture, Doctrine and Covenants 20
75 It is expedient that the church meet together often topartake of bread and wine in the remembrance of the Lord Jesus;

76 And the elder or priest shall administer it; and after thismanner shall he administer it—he shall kneel with the church and call upon the Father in solemn prayer, saying:

77 O God, the Eternal Father, we ask thee in the name of thy Son, Jesus Christ, to bless and sanctify this bread to the souls of all those who partake of it, that they may eat in remembrance of the body of thy Son, and witness unto thee, O God, the Eternal Father, that they are willing to take upon them the name of thy Son, and always remember him and keep his commandments which he has given them; that they may always have his Spirit to be with them. Amen.

78 The manner of administering the wine—he shall take the cup also, and say:

79 O God, the Eternal Father, we ask thee in the name of thy Son, Jesus Christ, to bless and sanctify this wine to the souls of all those who drink of it, that they may do it in remembrance of the blood of thy Son, which was shed for them; that they may witness unto thee, O God, the Eternal Father, that they do always remember him, that they may have his Spirit to be with them. Amen.

The two prayers are said verbatim every Sunday substituting the word water for the word wine.

Yet they don't recite the Lord's Prayer.

So the prayer is to drink wine, but they serve water

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,170.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
So the prayer is to drink wine, but they serve water

They're actually going against their own scripture. And some of them try to argue that Jesus didn't change water into wine.

Upvote 0

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
They're actually going against their own scripture. And some of them try to argue that Jesus didn't change water into wine.

That's the slippery slope of changing doctrine. Glad ours is rock solid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0