Incentive

Warrior Poet

A Legendary Outlaw
Jun 25, 2003
Sunny SoCal, In a city named after a fruit. Cake.
✟17,965.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Incentive to a small business like mine HUGE. 10% Credit on new employee wages had me creating positions I needed and want filled. In this case, it helps offset the cost of growing and expanding when demand has remained the same and your supply process is already streamlined and productive.

Upvote 0

dysert

Feb 29, 2012
USA
✟112,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Incentive is huge in a capitalistic system. Assuming that most folks want to be materially successful, and given that hard/good/smart work is highly correlated with being materially successful, incentive is key. This in contrast to a Communistic system where it makes little difference in outcome whether you're a hard/good/smart worker or not. (And not just Communism, but even employment segments in the US.)

Is this a trick question?

Upvote 0

bricklayer

Dec 26, 2009
the rust belt
✟5,120.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Incentive is huge in a capitalistic system. Assuming that most folks want to be materially successful, and given that hard/good/smart work is highly correlated with being materially successful, incentive is key. This in contrast to a Communistic system where it makes little difference in outcome whether you're a hard/good/smart worker or not. (And not just Communism, but even employment segments in the US.)

Is this a trick question?

Communism does not lack incentive. It simply reliee on incentive that does not exist.

Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟374,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
One of the best incentives for new business creation, and hiring of workers, is to separate health insurance from employment. Startups would flourish if businesses were not expected to provide health benefits. Individuals must be able to purchase affordable health insurance for themselves--that can't be taken away if they change jobs, and can't be refused or astronomically priced if their health, or a family member's health is poor. Some version of a mandatory one-payer system is the cheapest and most efficient way to do this. Virtually every businessman in the country will support an arrangement that frees them from the burden of being health insurance providers.

Upvote 0

bricklayer

Dec 26, 2009
the rust belt
✟5,120.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
One of the best incentives for new business creation, and hiring of workers, is to separate health insurance from employment. Startups would flourish if businesses were not expected to provide health benefits. Individuals must be able to purchase affordable health insurance for themselves--that can't be taken away if they change jobs, and can't be refused or astronomically priced if their health, or a family member's health is poor. Some version of a mandatory one-payer system is the cheapest and most efficient way to do this. Virtually every businessman in the country will support an arrangement that frees them from the burden of being health insurance providers.

You seem to have mistaken the absence of a disincentive for an incentive.

I sincerely want to know your opinion on what roll incentive plays in any economic plan.

Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟374,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
You seem to have mistaken the absence of a disincentive for an incentive.

I sincerely want to know your opinion on what roll incentive plays in any economic plan.

My point is that it's sensible to remove obstacles first. Imagine a man has to climb a ladder. But he's chained to a 50 lb weight. What's the best way to help him? We can harness him to a block and tackle rig and give him some extra lift. But isn't it more rational just to unchain him from that deadweight?

Upvote 0

bricklayer

Dec 26, 2009
the rust belt
✟5,120.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
My point is that it's sensible to remove obstacles first. Imagine a man has to climb a ladder. But he's chained to a 50 lb weight. What's the best way to help him? We can harness him to a block and tackle rig and give him some extra lift. But isn't it more rational just to unchain him from that deadweight?

Yes. It is good to remove dis-incentives.

Now, as to incentive, what role, in your experience, does it play in an economic plan?

Do you contend that the absence of dis-incentives is, in an of itself, an incentive?
If so, we are talking past each other as to the meaning of "incentive".

Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟374,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Do you contend that the absence of dis-incentives is, in an of itself, an incentive?
If so, we are talking past each other as to the meaning of "incentive".

At least on the surface, it seems that most of what are currently called business incentives are structured to eliminate, or mitigate an expense. I'll call these cost reduction incentives. Someone mentioned tax credits for new hires. Any such incentive that lessens a cost of doing business--like paying taxes--in essence is removing a disincentive. Accelerated depreciation is an example. All of what Republicans have proposed to help business--regulatory relief, tort reform, fair international currency valuation, etc.--are really the same.

Offhand, I can think of 2 incentives that bring more money into a business. I'll call these revenue generation incentives. Direct subsidies are one. The other is patent and copyright protection. There are likely more I can't think of.

Both cost reduction and revenue generation incentives are helpful for individual businesses, but there's an important difference. Theoretically, cost reduction measures should lower prices for consumers. Whereas revenue generation can lead to increased prices. Government subsidies to certain industries also are much more of a distortion of the free market.

So, in a nutshell, I'd say that removing a disincentive (by cost reduction) is an incentive. And generally, that is more beneficial to consumers than incentives which directly increase business revenue.

Edited to add: just remembered another type of incentive that helps business generate revenue--import tariffs. Which also increases prices.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bricklayer

Dec 26, 2009
the rust belt
✟5,120.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
At least on the surface, it seems that most of what are currently called business incentives are structured to eliminate, or mitigate an expense. I'll call these cost reduction incentives. Someone mentioned tax credits for new hires. Any such incentive that lessens a cost of doing business--like paying taxes--in essence is removing a disincentive. Accelerated depreciation is an example. All of what Republicans have proposed to help business--regulatory relief, tort reform, fair international currency valuation, etc.--are really the same.

Offhand, I can think of 2 incentives that bring more money into a business. I'll call these revenue generation incentives. Direct subsidies are one. The other is patent and copyright protection. There are likely more I can't think of.

Both cost reduction and revenue generation incentives are helpful for individual businesses, but there's an important difference. Theoretically, cost reduction measures should lower prices for consumers. Whereas revenue generation can lead to increased prices. Government subsidies to certain industries also are much more of a distortion of the free market.

So, in a nutshell, I'd say that removing a disincentive (by cost reduction) is an incentive. And generally, that is more beneficial to consumers than incentives which directly increase business revenue.

Edited to add: just remembered another type of incentive that helps business generate revenue--import tariffs. Which also increases prices.

It says nothing good that we have come to the above. Sad really.

The above is an excellent expression of what is to be expected of those who concede to calling loss gain and increase decrease. You are correct jayem; that is exactly the way it looks from that point of view.

The primary purpose of the Fed. tax code is to influence how what is not taxed is employed.
The secondary purpose of the Fed. tax code is to secure bureaucrats.
Securing revenue is ancillary.

Not taking is not giving, but it is motivation just the same.

The absence of excessive disincentive is indispensable to continuing an economic; however, it is of little value to starting one. Gain, not the want of loss, is the only incentive that ever got anything started.

Are we so beaten down that I alone would proffer GAIN to be incentive? and incentive more than enough? I feel as among sheep who consider the lack of something at their heals to be the sum of their endeavors.

I am not so easily contented.

(Please note year end tax prep mood.)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums