Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
nothing to add other than be diligent in prayer for the country and may God guide our actions.
Which is always a good idea. I've told this story before, but I can't remember if I told it here.

The night of the election I went to bed around 8:30. I have an Adoration hour from 3-4am, so I usually go to bed early on Tuesdays. I went to bed firmly convinced that Hillary was going to win, but even though I thought she was the scum of the earth, I wasn't going to let my head explode because God is in charge, and things will work out.

I checked my phone when I got up and was pleasantly surprised that it looked like she was going to lose. Pleasantly surprised, but not "drop to my knees and thank God" surprised, because like I said, God's in charge.

Then I saw all the gnashing of teeth, and to this day, ridiculous overreaction. The protestors do know that they're only proving Trump right.....right?

Trump was about 50th on my choice for president. But he was head and shoulders above Hillary. Now the protestors are just a pain.

God's in charge.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,090,726.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I spent Inauguration Day very productively. I listened to the Broadway Channel on my commute to work, and then attended an "inauguration" in our own community.

An ecumenical women's social justice organization in our community, attended by Catholic, mainstream Protestant, and traditional black Baptist church members. I am happy to be their new treasurer. We were installed by a female Methodist minister, who later spoke about the dangers of human trafficking and what we should do to advocate for its prevention. Our priorities this year are Human Rights, Hunger and Poverty, Health and Wellness, and Diversity and Inclusion.

Instead of spending a morning in mourning, I joined with other women of conscience to be part of the solution and get America back on track.

In the afternoon I got an urgent phone call. A friend was in the emergency room and wanted me to watch her elderly dog in my home if she was admitted. She thought she was dying. (She has been quite ill.) She said she wanted to find a guardian for the dog in her will in case she died, and asked if I would take him. "I need to know this minute," she said....

Well, my husband and I already discussed taking the dog temporarily but I didn't know whether he'd want to do so permanently (we already have a dog nd cat). But I didn't want her to die worrying about who would care for her dog, so I said "yes."

Then I left work and went to the ER. They didn't admit her, but she's having lots of tests on Monday and I imagine they will admit her then.

God challenged me, but at least I was distracted from the nightmare on the Potomac...

To all of you who recognize the incipient danger, know that God is challenging us to be strong. Join with other good people to become advocates in your community, your state, and your country. Be kind.

Broadway was exactly what I needed today. And I was glad, in reading posts from friends, to learn that I didn't miss much.

Upvote 0

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Um, I did, actually. Many of them here.

I know, it was awful. I remember how all of my guns were going to be taken away, Churches would be forced to close, there would be no jobs and Muslim terrorists (Obama was a secret Muslim, in case you forgot) would take over the country. All I ended up with was a headache filling positions thanks to full employment and a nice 401k.

Reactions: Armoured
Upvote 0

Miss Shelby

Legend
Feb 10, 2002
✟88,282.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I spent Inauguration Day very productively. I listened to the Broadway Channel on my commute to work, and then attended an "inauguration" in our own community.

An ecumenical women's social justice organization in our community, attended by Catholic, mainstream Protestant, and traditional black Baptist church members. I am happy to be their new treasurer. We were installed by a female Methodist minister, who later spoke about the dangers of human trafficking and what we should do to advocate for its prevention. Our priorities this year are Human Rights, Hunger and Poverty, Health and Wellness, and Diversity and Inclusion.

Instead of spending a morning in mourning, I joined with other women of conscience to be part of the solution and get America back on track.

In the afternoon I got an urgent phone call. A friend was in the emergency room and wanted me to watch her elderly dog in my home if she was admitted. She thought she was dying. (She has been quite ill.) She said she wanted to find a guardian for the dog in her will in case she died, and asked if I would take him. "I need to know this minute," she said....

Well, my husband and I already discussed taking the dog temporarily but I didn't know whether he'd want to do so permanently (we already have a dog nd cat). But I didn't want her to die worrying about who would care for her dog, so I said "yes."

Then I left work and went to the ER. They didn't admit her, but she's having lots of tests on Monday and I imagine they will admit her then.

God challenged me, but at least I was distracted from the nightmare on the Potomac...

To all of you who recognize the incipient danger, know that God is challenging us to be strong. Join with other good people to become advocates in your community, your state, and your country. Be kind.

Broadway was exactly what I needed today. And I was glad, in reading posts from friends, to learn that I didn't miss much.
You do put your convictions into action. I will give you that.

Upvote 0

jerrygab2

Oct 14, 2016
on a computer
✟30,523.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I want to be honest, I never thought yesterday was going to come. I thought for sure that black guy was going to declare some kind of marshal law or somehow never leave. For the past eight years I have felt oppressed by the dems and that black guy as I watched our freedoms and America slip away. Now with President Trump I know that the oppression of the last eight years is over and that freedom and prosperity have come back to America. I cried yesterday knowing we were finally free at last again.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,090,726.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
We recovered from a terrible recession after the Bush years and by almost every measurement have enjoyed enormous prosperity. I recognize that technology, much more so than immigration, has stolen American jobs. That's why Democrats were so invested in things like free community college, low cost student loans, etc. because they recognized education is your only protection against technological job loss.

So now you will have President Trump, who may--or may not--get you low-paid non-union jobs building roads and bridges (which we need)--but not until he decimates all those "burdensome regulations" on businesses like workmen's compensation and health care if you have a work-related accident. It would be cruel of me to shrug my shoulders and tell rust belt unemployed blue-collar workers that they deserve what they voted for, but it is hard for me not to feel that way since 78,000 strategically locaated people brought the rest of the country down with them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,090,726.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
No President ever conducted a war WHILE cutting taxes--a sure fire way to run gigantic deficits. Of course he caused the recession.

Do you think that ending Dodd Frank and Wall Street regulation will make Wall Street less likely to give out high-interest low-information loans? Of course it won't.

Thank you President Obama for turning our economy around, despite what revisionist knuckleheads try to say about it (present company excepted).

Upvote 0

bill5

Jul 30, 2011
✟63,199.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
I did not say "nationwide" or "violent".
? Obviously. I never said you did. My point is that saying "I saw people doing it" could simply mean a couple of neighbors down the street...hardly comparable to the nationwide and at times violent "demonstrations" (to put it kindly) that have been going on since Trump was elected.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

bill5

Jul 30, 2011
✟63,199.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Exactly BO ruined the economy and was the most divisive leader ever
Yeah right, because the economy was in such great shape before he took office.

You can't be serious.

The divisiveness comes from both liberal and conservative extremists who actually act like and appear to believe that their "side" is always right and just and noble while the other "side" is always wrong and unjust and evil. It's laughably ridiculous.

Upvote 0

bill5

Jul 30, 2011
✟63,199.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
I worked yesterday, so I missed most of it
eh, you didn't miss much. I just caught bits and pieces and heard more when NPR micro-analyzed it to death that night on the way home from work :rolleyes: I have to wonder if any inauguration speech ever was anything more than blah blah blah rhetoric.......but it's a ceremonial thing anyway, so I guess it's not realistic to expect much more.

Upvote 0