DaSeminarian

Veteran
Nov 16, 2006
✟9,772.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
People here are somewhat dyslexic when spelling the anagram ELCA. ECLA? Is that some college in California or what.

Many in ELCA say they are tied to the Lutheran Heritage so I though they should change their Acronym to ELCHA

Evangelical Lutheran Heritage Church of America. This way maybe they won't be confused with real Lutherans so much.

ELC Ha Ha Ha Ha. I'm sorry, I'm being cruel again aren't. Bad Scott! Bad Bad Bad!

I shall need to go to private confession. Hey DaRev is the Private confession booth open today?

Upvote 0

Luther073082

κύριε ἐλέησον χριστὲ ἐλέησον
Apr 1, 2007
New Carlisle, IN
✟31,326.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
studeclunker, forgive me, i didn't say ALL lutheran churches are the same. as i said in my post, there might be some good ones out there. i've not had opportunity to visit them all. as i also stated, my lutheran experience is limited to 3 ECLA churches in my town. isn't that what this post is about? the ECLA? that is what i am referring to--my experience with the ECLA. i'm sorry if that offends you. though i readily admit my experience there certainly offended me!:)

am i to understand that the ECLA (my mom's church) is not really lutheran? is that what you are saying? or that Missouri Synod is not really lutheran? i admit i thought they were two branches of the lutheran church. so maybe i was clumping all lutherans together.:doh: sorry!

in any event, i have had terrible experience with the lutheran church--or ECLA, which calls itself lutheran. if they are not lutheran, why do they call themselves lutheran? i always tell everyone i was raised lutheran. wasn't i? i guess i'm not altogether certain what you are talking about when you say ECLA is not lutheran.

looking forward to your reply! God's blessings on you and yours.:wave:

If you are 46 then you could not have been raised in an ELCA church as the ELCA did not exist until 1988. Maybe ALC or LCA???

Upvote 0

DaSeminarian

Veteran
Nov 16, 2006
✟9,772.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
If you are 46 then you could not have been raised in an ELCA church as the ELCA did not exist until 1988. Maybe ALC or LCA???

People who refer to ELCA often use acronym in relating to stories before it even came into existence.

Only we in the LCMS like to distinguish these facts

Upvote 0

Luther073082

Apr 1, 2007
New Carlisle, IN
✟31,326.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
People who refer to ELCA often use acronym in relating to stories before it even came into existence.

Only we in the LCMS like to distinguish these facts

Well I'm personally hoping the church splits again. It needs to because the attitude of the general church members is not reflected well in the national organization.

Upvote 0

CaliforniaJosiah

Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2005
✟206,695.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Two thoughts.....

I heard the story of the ALC/LCA merger from an ELCA pastor who wasn't at the convention that did that, but was very opposed to it - confident that the ALC would just be "absorbed" into the "absurities" taking over in the LCA. He commented that his expectations had largely been realized. I asked him if a number of congregations dropped out of the ALC when this happened, and he commented that very few did. Since he's still an ELCA pastor serving an ELCA church, clearly he didn't and hasn't either. A VERY tiny group of them just established fellowship with LCMS nearly 20 years after this.

2. Yeah, Lutherans seem to like all the capitol letters... I gotta say, as a new Lutheran, WHAT'S WITH THE NAME MISSOURI SYNOD? Come on, what in the world IS a "synod!" (I know, now, but the word isn't exactly on the tongue of the English speaking world). It sounds like a medical term - something you'd rather NOT know about. And Missouri? Okay, I know the Perry County thing but only a tiny percentage of our denomination lives in Missouri. It IS a national church body!!!!!!!!!!!! The name is confusing, misleading, and says NOTHING about who we are..... I"m not sure I have any obvious alternatives. How about the PPLUSA (plusa - a shortened form of the horse), standing for Pure and Proud Lutherans in the USA. CBNATLA (cabnatla - sound Spanish). Conservative But Not Always Traditional Lutherans in America. Or maybe NECLA (necla - sounds good) NOT the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America? Or just CLA. Correct Lutherans in America.

Thank you.

Pax

- Josiah

Upvote 0

Luther073082

Apr 1, 2007
New Carlisle, IN
✟31,326.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We just call it the Lutheran Church Misery Synod sometimes.

But I think you are correct about the ELCA thing. The merger just needs to be undone. Release the ALC churchs again. And I wasn't even a Christian at the time of the merger. (Actually I was about 6 years old)

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

by his wounds we are healed
Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
We in the WELS had it made...we pretty much had our slogan right from the get go.

"Come to the WELS" and we had a well with a cross, and the passage about the life-giving water...it was great.

Until some multi-million dollar ad agency told the synod publicity committee that it wasn't "modern" enough.

I still have the bumper sticker and now that I own my van, I will be putting it on ASAP.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

porterross

I miss Ronald Reagan
Jan 27, 2006
just this side of Heaven
✟44,831.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
We just call it the Lutheran Church Misery Synod sometimes.

I'd like to know how you're going to claim someone can twist that statement to make you look bad? :doh:

You bring your misery on yourself and deserve all the grief this slur brings you. :wave:

Upvote 0

Luther073082

Apr 1, 2007
New Carlisle, IN
✟31,326.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'd like to know how you're going to claim someone can twist that statement to make you look bad? :doh:

You bring your misery on yourself and deserve all the grief this slur brings you. :wave:

I'd like to know why the ELCA and its members can be the target of every type of disrespectful and slanderous speech known to man but to jokefully refer to the LCMS as the misery synod is evil.

Upvote 0

Luther073082

Apr 1, 2007
New Carlisle, IN
✟31,326.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We in the WELS had it made...we pretty much had our slogan right from the get go.

"Come to the WELS" and we had a well with a cross, and the passage about the life-giving water...it was great.

Until some multi-million dollar ad agency told the synod publicity committee that it wasn't "modern" enough.

I still have the bumper sticker and now that I own my van, I will be putting it on ASAP.

The WELS sought the advise of an ad agency?

Upvote 0

Luther073082

Apr 1, 2007
New Carlisle, IN
✟31,326.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There has been rumblings for years concerning changing the name of the LCMS. One of the reasons that it hasn't is because the name "Missouri Synod" is well known around the world.

Among Lutherans. . . on the other hand if I talk to a non-Lutheran and I say Missouri Synod they think I'm talking about a regional headquarters for the Lutheran Chruch.

If they do I think they should use CLCA (Confessional Lutheran Church of America) or LCCA (Lutheran Confessional Church of America) Probably better describes who they are then Missouri Synod.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

DaRev

Apr 18, 2006
✟19,002.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Among Lutherans. . . on the other hand if I talk to a non-Lutheran and I say Missouri Synod they think I'm talking about a regional headquarters for the Lutheran Chruch.

If they do I think they should use CLCA (Confessional Lutheran Church of America) or LCCA (Lutheran Confessional Church of America) Probably better describes who they are then Missouri Synod.

Well, it is well known among non-Lutherans as well.

Some of those who have rumbled about a name change have indicated that the word "catholic" should be incorporated into the name.

Upvote 0

LutheranChick

Jul 12, 2007
Iowa
✟9,888.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Well, it is well known among non-Lutherans as well.

Some of those who have rumbled about a name change have indicated that the word "catholic" should be incorporated into the name.
What would be the reason for that? 'catholic' basically means universal, or united or something to that effect, doesn't it? Just curious...

Upvote 0

DaSeminarian

Veteran
Nov 16, 2006
✟9,772.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
What would be the reason for that? 'catholic' basically means universal, or united or something to that effect, doesn't it? Just curious...

The word "catholic" means literally "according to the whole" cat - holic the word Kata mean either down against or "according to" In the greek testament, the Gospels are named Kata Matthaia, Kata Markon, Kata Lukan and Kata Johannon. The Gospel according to...(fill in the name)

Roman Cat holic means according to the whole church at Rome.

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

by his wounds we are healed
Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I'd like to know why the ELCA and its members can be the target of every type of disrespectful and slanderous speech known to man but to jokefully refer to the LCMS as the misery synod is evil.

I don't see the LCMS running around signing agreements with the RCC and allowing gay pastors to be in committed relationships. The ELCA synod seems to cherish controversy, and unfortunately, because it's the synod with the biggest mouth, it's the synod that the whole Lutheran faith is based on.

If churches wish to be looked upon with respect and dignity, perhaps they ought to act respectful and dignified.

The ELCA synod on a whole has not done this for a long time, and should've removed the name Lutheran from their name a long time ago.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.