United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Ah the duality of man is upon me

1. Tougher gun laws. What I mean when I say this is that, if you're a felony criminal, or you're caught with a gun, or use a gun to commit a crime, I think the book should be thrown at you. I think there should be much more severe consequences for these things.

2. I think it should be easier for a law abiding citizen, with no felony or violent misdemeanors on record, to simply be able to walk into a store, and with a background check, get a concealed carry permit and purchase a handgun the same day.

Why, you may ask? The only thing that deters a criminal from committing a violent act with a gun is consequence. If a man who has been convicted of a burglary is caught with a weapon after his release, how many years does he serve for this crime? Well in North Carolina, it's only 16 months! That's it!?

https://www.cga.ct.gov/2012/rpt/2012-R-0345.htm

I think he should at least have to serve 10 years...or more. 16 months is nothing to serve for a career criminal.

Being from Georgia though, I was able to go down to the court house, obtain my concealed carry by simply paying the fee, having a background check done, and getting fingerprinted. That's it, and I had already purchased a pistol prior to that. Have I done anything unlawful or criminal with it since I've owned it? Absolutely not. Why do law abiding citizens have to suffer for the actions of evil men? There's no justice in that.

abysmul

Board Game Hobbyist
Jun 17, 2008
Almost Heaven
✟60,490.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Your system leads to too many straw buyers and too many criminals stealing the legal weapons.
Are you saying their system of simply making CC permits easier to get would increase the number of guns in criminal hands? How? Their system doesn't change the laws regarding gun sales, simply making it less burdensome for a law abiding citizen to get a CC permit.

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Your system leads to too many straw buyers and too many criminals stealing the legal weapons.

If they would get 20 years minimum for being in possession of a stolen firearm dont you think that would be a much more effective deterrent than 16 months?

Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
But all of that occurs with regularity anyway.

I often think it's a shame that so many people and Hollywood celeb types spend so much effort working for and demanding certain actions be taken...when they never bother to address the problem as it is.

Any number of convicted felons and juveniles kill other people every day in any big city in this land, and no one cares. But let one nutcase shoot up a school, and they want to move Heaven and Earth to prevent it--by proposing policies that won't stop it. It's crazy.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If they would get 20 years minimum for being in possession of a stolen firearm don't you think that would be a much more effective deterrent than 16 months?
No. It could be a hundred years. The person that steals the firearm is counting on not getting caught. So the severity of sentence becomes irrelevant.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Are you saying their system of simply making CC permits easier to get would increase the number of guns in criminal hands? How? Their system doesn't change the laws regarding gun sales, simply making it less burdensome for a law abiding citizen to get a CC permit.
Actually the OP said easier to both get the permit and buy a gun THE SAME DAY. So it does change the laws of gun sales by eliminating the waiting period required in many states.

Upvote 0

Crowns&Laurels

Jul 11, 2015
✟6,832.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Going tougher on gun laws won't change much if it all. It's also a conflict of interest: people don't get a lot of time in jail for having a gun illegitimately because they will argue that they felt it was needed for self-protection. So while courts penalize them, they can't just lock them up and throw away the key with that mitigation.

The waiting period for obtaining guns is to prevent instances where a man plans on killing his wife at dinner or otherwise anything in hot blood. It's fairly reasonable. My state doesn't have that, which is odd considering that Virginia has a big wrap for domestic violence. You could be in and out of a shop in an hour with whatever you bought here.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
No. It could be a hundred years. The person that steals the firearm is counting on not getting caught. So the severity of sentence becomes irrelevant.

I think you're not accounting for the mindset and attitude of most criminals, especially in low income neighborhoods. I come from a very low income area, and I heard several times that most of those involved in criminal activities expect to go to jail or prison at some point in their lives. They don't worry about it much because they'll get out in a 6 months to a year...having earned more "street-cred" in jail/prison. This mentality encourages their lifestyle, and does not deter it.

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Going tougher on gun laws won't change much if it all. It's also a conflict of interest: people don't get a lot of time in jail for having a gun illegitimately because they will argue that they felt it was needed for self-protection. So while courts penalize them, they can't just lock them up and throw away the key with that mitigation.

The waiting period for obtaining guns is to prevent instances where a man plans on killing his wife at dinner or otherwise anything in hot blood. It's fairly reasonable. My state doesn't have that, which is odd considering that Virginia has a big wrap for domestic violence. You could be in and out of a shop in an hour with whatever you bought here.

So what is the ratio of deaths made by same day gun purchases (say, a shotgun) vs that of deaths cause by an illegally owned firearm? I assume it's very very very small, thus, the law is moot and not effective.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Crowns&Laurels

Jul 11, 2015
✟6,832.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
So what is the ratio of deaths made by same day gun purchases (say, a shotgun) vs that of deaths cause by an illegally owned firearm? I assume it's very very very small, thus, the law is moot and not effective.

Illegally owned handguns are more then likely the prime weapon of choice for gun-related homicides. I'll have to look it up to confirm, but it feels almost like confirming that the sky is blue really ^_^

It's a difficult thing with the law, I think, because we have an adversarial-based legal system in which one has to be proven guilty rather then prove their innocence. As soon as it is argued that they had a firearm in the first place because they didn't feel safe, the ball is automatically dropped- the court cannot prove otherwise, and cannot justify giving them fifteen years in prison.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟896,872.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

1. Tougher gun laws. What I mean when I say this is that, if you're a felony criminal, or you're caught with a gun, or use a gun to commit a crime, I think the book should be thrown at you. I think there should be much more severe consequences for these things.

2. I think it should be easier for a law abiding citizen, with no felony or violent misdemeanors on record, to simply be able to walk into a store, and with a background check, get a concealed carry permit and purchase a handgun the same day.

Why, you may ask? The only thing that deters a criminal from committing a violent act with a gun is consequence. If a man who has been convicted of a burglary is caught with a weapon after his release, how many years does he serve for this crime? Well in North Carolina, it's only 16 months! That's it!?

I think he should at least have to serve 10 years...or more. 16 months is nothing to serve for a career criminal.

Being from Georgia though, I was able to go down to the court house, obtain my concealed carry by simply paying the fee, having a background check done, and getting fingerprinted. That's it, and I had already purchased a pistol prior to that. Have I done anything unlawful or criminal with it since I've owned it? Absolutely not. Why do law abiding citizens have to suffer for the actions of evil men? There's no justice in that.
I agree with much ofg this post EXCEPT that I feel that if someone is a NON-VIOLENT felon he or she should be able to get his or her gun rights back once he or she completes his or her ENTIRE sentence. That mean any custody time, parole, probation, fines, classes and/or anything else that was part of the sentence.

Upvote 0

Darkhorse

just horsing around
Aug 10, 2005
mid-Atlantic
Visit site
✟288,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
As soon as it is argued that they had a firearm in the first place because they didn't feel safe, the ball is automatically dropped- the court cannot prove otherwise, and cannot justify giving them fifteen years in prison.

This doesn't carry any weight in the case of a felon possessing a gun.

The law assumes they will have to protect themselves some other way.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟896,872.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
This doesn't carry any weight in the case of a felon possessing a gun.

The law assumes they will have to protect themselves some other way.
Some states ( CA, for example, will allow a felon to use a gun to defend his/her self. As long as they ONLY process it long enough to do so, they do not already have a gun nor a plan to get one before the fact, AND they are not protected by the stand your ground laws. In other words, if there is another option to avoid danger they must take that option instead of holding their ground like non-felons in many states are permitted to do.

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I agree with much ofg this post EXCEPT that I feel that if someone is a NON-VIOLENT felon he or she should be able to get his or her gun rights back once he or she completes his or her ENTIRE sentence. That mean any custody time, parole, probation, fines, classes and/or anything else that was part of the sentence.

Too many loopholes. Drug possession with intent is a felony...guns come with the territory. Child inappropriate contentography is a felony, and I know I wouldn't want a pedophile running around with a gun. Long and short, if you're willing to commit a felony, society shouldn't trust you with a gun. jm2c.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟896,872.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

Burglary though is NOT violent, so to me a MAX of three to five years, MAYBE. ( particularly if it is not reseidental burglary). Remember who PAYS for that decade behind bars for a NON-violent crime.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟896,872.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Too many loopholes. Drug possession with intent is a felony...guns come with the territory. Child inappropriate contentography is a felony, and I know I wouldn't want a pedophile running around with a gun. Long and short, if you're willing to commit a felony, society shouldn't trust you with a gun. jm2c.
Those felonies though DO NOT involve guns or the use of violentance in and of themselves. Plus, you can be convicted of those crimes even if you process very little. Intent to sale does not mean that the person has more on them than one might have for personal use.

Upvote 0

Darkhorse

just horsing around
Aug 10, 2005
mid-Atlantic
Visit site
✟288,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Some states ( CA, for example, will allow a felon to use a gun to defend his/her self. As long as they ONLY process it long enough to do so, they do not already have a gun nor a plan to get one before the fact, AND they are not protected by the stand your ground laws. In other words, if there is another option to avoid danger they must take that option instead of holding their ground like non-felons in many states are permitted to do.

REALLY?

That's unusually sensible for California. Usually, if something makes sense, it's illegal there.

I lived there 44 years, and I'm SO glad I live in a free and prosperous state now. :D

Thanks for the information!

Upvote 0

katerinah1947

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2015
✟58,600.00
Faith
Catholic

Dear,

I don't believe that I am going to say what I am going to say. If a felon uses a gun in the comission of a crime, if he is killed instantly once caught, with his gun or the Police Officer's gun, that seems correct for and to me.

I am almost afraid to end this with:

LOVE,

but maybe that is LOVE, maybe it is.

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
^^^You and I know it's not.

Burglary though is NOT violent, so to me a MAX of three to five years, MAYBE. ( particularly if it is not reseidental burglary). Remember who PAYS for that decade behind bars for a NON-violent crime.

As a person who's house got robbed 6 times as a kid, I completely disagree. It is violence against a person's property and at least made me feel vulnerable and violated. Violence != bodily harm.

Last edited:
Upvote 0