If you're not successful by the time you're in your 40s...

Ffraid

Dec 3, 2016
earth
✟21,838.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Not even our existence in this world is guaranteed, let alone our prosperity. Everything can be lost and regained according to God's plan. All we need to do is keep getting up and putting one foot in front of the other, without worrying too much about how far we have to go.

Upvote 0

UnitedweStand000000

Dec 2, 2016
Uk
✟16,918.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Not even our existence in this world is guaranteed, let alone our prosperity. Everything can be lost and regained according to God's plan. All we need to do is keep getting up and putting one foot in front of the other, without worrying too much about how far we have to go.
This always makes me wonder, why does God's plan have to involve misery for people? some horrible things that happen to good honest folks, whilst there are good things happening to bad people.

Upvote 0

Ffraid

Dec 3, 2016
earth
✟21,838.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
This always makes me wonder, why does God's plan have to involve misery for people? some horrible things that happen to good honest folks, whilst there are good things happening to bad people.

Because we are broken creatures living in a broken world. Suffering reminds the soul where true consolation lies, so we can bear along until God renews the world and us with it.

Upvote 0

dysert

Feb 29, 2012
USA
✟112,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm past 40, earn a decent living, have a well-paying job (for the moment) and have minimal debt. I don't consider myself "successful" though. It seems that "successful" means different things for different people. To me, success would be having enough money in the bank so that I know I could retire and live off what I've saved. I don't feel that way, so I don't feel successful.

No matter how well-off I am in the present I always worry about the future and I lament decisions I've made in the past.

As for the OP, I agree that 40 is still relatively young, so there's time for you to turn things around. Set a goal and work towards it. And try not to make the same mistake I have, viz., defining success in terms of the size of your bank account.

Upvote 0

UnitedweStand000000

Dec 2, 2016
Uk
✟16,918.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Because we are broken creatures living in a broken world. Suffering reminds the soul where true consolation lies, so we can bear along until God renews the world and us with it.
So you are saying that suffering for good honest men women and children is justified in God's plan?

I don't know what your beliefs are with regard to the afterlife, but my belief is that the most deserving and worthy will not get there.

Upvote 0

Ffraid

Dec 3, 2016
earth
✟21,838.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
So you are saying that suffering for good honest men women and children is justified in God's plan?

The fall of humankind is what introduced suffering and death into the world, and both will stay until Judgment Day. God allows it, because adversity is what makes the soul grow. A life unchallenged only makes our spirits complacent and sleepy.

I don't know what your beliefs are with regard to the afterlife, but my belief is that the most deserving and worthy will not get there.

Are you confusing the afterlife with heaven? Because everyone will have an afterlife, as physical death is not the end of existence, but not everyone will get to heaven.

Upvote 0

UnitedweStand000000

Dec 2, 2016
Uk
✟16,918.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
The fall of humankind is what introduced suffering and death into the world, and both will stay until Judgment Day. God allows it, because adversity is what makes the soul grow. A life unchallenged only makes our spirits complacent and sleepy.

Are you confusing the afterlife with heaven? Because everyone will have an afterlife, as physical death is not the end of existence, but not everyone will get to heaven.
Well I don't know what take you have on the afterlife, do you believe that the unsaved will burn for eternity, or will they just suffer a separation from God?

Upvote 0

Ffraid

Dec 3, 2016
earth
✟21,838.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Well I don't know what take you have on the afterlife, do you believe that the unsaved will burn for eternity, or will they just suffer a separation from God?

There's nothing 'just' about separation from God. Once the world is restored, there will be nothing obstructing our perception of God's glory. Being shut away from that forever is worse than simple annihilation. How they will perceive their condition I don't know, and it doesn't really make a difference.

Upvote 0

UnitedweStand000000

Dec 2, 2016
Uk
✟16,918.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
There's nothing 'just' about separation from God. Once the world is restored, there will be nothing obstructing our perception of God's glory. Being shut away from that forever is worse than simple annihilation. How they will perceive their condition I don't know, and it doesn't really make a difference.
Why is God's glory so hard to detect now? I would have hoped his glory would have been obvious for all of us to see, eternity is a very long time for unsaved souls to suffer for, regardless of what that suffering may be.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ffraid

Dec 3, 2016
earth
✟21,838.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Why is God's glory so hard to detect now? I would have hoped his glory would have been obvious for all of us to see, eternity is a very long time for unsaved souls to suffer for regardless of what that suffering may be.

Because our eyes and minds and hearts are clouded and easily waylaid by sin. We are fatally flawed, no two ways about that. 'They have eyes and do not see, they have ears and do not hear', remember? God is merciful and patient beyond comprehension, but He will not overrule the free will He granted us Himself. There's nothing unfair about those who reject Him to the end of their lives having to remain away from Him for eternity.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

UnitedweStand000000

Dec 2, 2016
Uk
✟16,918.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Because our eyes and minds and hearts are clouded and easily waylaid by sin. We are fatally flawed, no two ways about that. 'They have eyes and do not see, they have ears and do not hear', remember? God is merciful and patient beyond comprehension, but He will not overrule the free will He granted us Himself. There's nothing unfair about those who reject Him to the end of their lives having to remain away from Him for eternity.
Surely God's existence should be obvious to all. If saving all our souls is a priority.
It's unfair to say that because of someones birthplace or culture that they have rejected God, or because they see no evidence they have rejected God.
Thank's for your replies, but I think we are in danger of derailing this thread.

Upvote 0

Ffraid

Dec 3, 2016
earth
✟21,838.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Surely God's existence should be obvious to all. If saving all our souls is a priority.
It's unfair to say that because of someones birthplace or culture that they have rejected God, or because they see no evidence they have rejected God.
Thank's for your replies, but I think we are in danger of derailing this thread.

God's plan is unfettered by human limitations of perception and understanding. Accepting and rejecting Him go way beyond mouthing some words. The One who knows the depths of each human soul will judge in all justice and mercy.

We've grown a bit too philosophical for the thread, but I don't think we're off topic. Adversity certainly plays into the way we perceive success. The bottom line?

JackSparrowProblem.jpg

Upvote 0

UnitedweStand000000

Dec 2, 2016
Uk
✟16,918.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
God's plan is unfettered by human limitations of perception and understanding. Accepting and rejecting Him go way beyond mouthing some words. The One who knows the depths of each human soul will judge in all justice and mercy.

We've grown a bit too philosophical for the thread, but I don't think we're off topic. Adversity certainly plays into the way we perceive success. The bottom line?

JackSparrowProblem.jpg
This is part of the reason I am at odds, if every soul is to be judged in the way you have just described then fine, but there are very different Christian opinions about judgement out there, some of which are hard for me to swallow. Where is the agreement amongst Christians on these important questions? How can I find answers when opinions on the same subject are so diverse?

Upvote 0

Ffraid

Dec 3, 2016
earth
✟21,838.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
This is part of the reason I am at odds, if every soul is to be judged in the way you have just described then fine, but there are very different Christian opinions about judgement out there, some of which are hard for me to swallow. Where is the agreement amongst Christians on these important questions? How can I find answers when opinions on the same subject are so diverse?

Despite what many modern preachers claim, Christianity really has a lot of homework. There have been disputes on doctrine and praxis from very early on, and groups breaking away are nothing new. After all, Christ and the Apostles warned repeatedly against false prophets. Only diligent study and persistent prayer for discernment can help us tell the truth from the delusions.

http://www.ccel.org/fathers.html <--The aforementioned homework's syllabus.

Upvote 0

UnitedweStand000000

Dec 2, 2016
Uk
✟16,918.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Despite what many modern preachers claim, Christianity really has a lot of homework. There have been disputes on doctrine and praxis from very early on, and groups breaking away are nothing new. After all, Christ and the Apostles warned repeatedly against false prophets. Only diligent study and persistent prayer for discernment can help us tell the truth from the delusions.

http://www.ccel.org/fathers.html <--The aforementioned homework's syllabus.
Thankyou, I will have a look at this.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Andrewofthetribe

Sep 12, 2016
Oxford
✟24,758.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Shall we become the teacher in our 40s and above? Or shall we stay apprenticed? Or shall we be the master and have a servant who shall work hard and give his life to us. Or shall we stay servants ? These are choices given to us all. This is how I measure success. I have an apprentice and the joy that brings to see him stand upon his own two feet brings me hope for all newborn souls.

Upvote 0

Chica

Dec 28, 2016
Europe
✟17,951.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I decided after having a really bad life and my life not turning out to what I thought it would be is to go to school and follow my dream of being in Criminal Justice. This is what I did:
1. I dumped my toxic and dysfunctional family
2. Was diagnosed with PTSD and now seeking help for the disease
3. Decided I came first instead of others
4. I'm 46 so I'm an older student but I don't care. I feel as if I get to adopt a lot of students as my "kids" because they look up to me like a Mom.
5. I get to practice the faith I choose to and have experienced many miracles because of my chosen Godly belief.
6. Learned to forgive but to also think about myself for the first time in my life. No one in my family thought of me and no one really cared about me. I was abused all of my life and now, after dumping my family, I no longer have the abuse but am dealing with the afteraffects.
7. I'm now a published author
8. I have a 4.0 GPA in college
9. I have a great part time job that I love
10. Am grateful for the very very close friends that I have which I can count on one hand...

When I took control of my life and when God reentered my life and performed miracles in my life (I was pagan for a time or a heathen, pick your poison), my life became great. Now mind you I do have trials I go through however I'm living proof that God can pick you up from the Hell you've been put through and made anew.

Heather
I think God must be proud of you!! You are so inspiring!

Upvote 0