If you saw a starving child...

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Spinrad said:
Admitting you are doing something wrong is only the beginning, though, isn't it? If you commit adultery can you just admit you are imperfect and go commit it as often as you like?
I ask again, since you didn't answer me the first time: since when has perfection been a requirement to join in the debate?

If you only have one point to make, you don't need to keep repeating it.

Upvote 0

Spinrad

Apr 19, 2005
✟20,370.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Others
ebia said:
I ask again, since you didn't answer me the first time: since when has perfection been a requirement to join in the debate?

If you only have one point to make, you don't need to keep repeating it.

Since never. You joined. The question, I thought, was rhetorical.

Upvote 0

sparklecat

Senior Contributor
Nov 29, 2003
✟10,001.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
cameronw said:
Thats sad. I thought atheist at least where for life in general for everyone not just themselves. I hope you are rare in these feelings of yours.

-cw

Atheists as a group lack the belief in gods. That's it. Perhaps humanists were what you were referring to?

As to helping a starving child I passed/saw on TV... I don't know. While it might temporarily help out the one person, it's no kind of long-term solution. My money would really be better used towards some effort that would make a permanent difference.

Upvote 0

Blessed2003

Duck, duck, duck, GOOSE..
Jan 20, 2004
✟1,452.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Married
John812 said:
I'm glad you would help the child :) . Not many people in the western world see people on the street that are starving. If we would, would we help that person? I would imagine most people wouldn't pass them on the side of the street. There are starving people in this world, and just because we cannot see them as we go about our daily business in the western world does not mean we cannot help them - yet few of us donate money to charities or help them in other ways. What is the difference between seeing a starving child on the street and passing them by and seeing a starving child on t.v. and not picking up the phone and donating money?

Hey John812! I'd say there isn't much difference in one starving child to the next. I am skeptical of giving my money to charities and such, since I don't know exactly how they would handle my donation, and I prefer to donate to someone I can actually see benefit from it. I do this too. I have helped countless people, in small ways because my income is minimal. In fact, I do not believe in even giving my money to the local church, unless ofcourse we take up collection for something specific, I prefer to help individuals. Anyway, I just get irritated easily and didn't quite understand the point of the post, except maybe to encourage others, but the way I see it most people are either helping or they don't. No amount of discussion would probbly change how we do things, anyway, that's the fun of coming here isn't it.....

Blessings,
B~

ps. to the poster who said the problem is here more then I would probbly realize, I'm sure it is, but in my daily life the children I see starve for something alright, but it isn't food, and I try to help them in those ways, by being a mentor or listening to them when no one else will. Here, where I live the kids are not supervised and they are growing up in what I call the ghetto. There parents are home but do not supervise them. They are around drugs, and cigarettes, and they obviously have sex way before they are ready, they have to deal with drinking alcohol, so that to me is where I find help is more needed, anyway, ofcourse if I saw a child hungry, I'd feed him/her.

Upvote 0