North Texas
✟118,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
In Relationship
I would say the Tudors and Stuarts of England pushed it towards Absolutism, but there was the Parliament that acted as a counter balance until the Parliamentarian forces gained almost total power with the Glorious Revolution of 1688

you are right, France did have more of a history of Absolute Monarchy, but that was still relatively late in history, with Absolutism really only coming about in the 1600's

I'm not sure about other European kingdoms, I'd have to take a look their government. I know Russia was very absolute until the Russian Revolution.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
our mayor commited adultery as was revealed after he got elected. And he wouldn't step down, it was a huge shame for our city to have a mayor who had no humility and kept hold of power and abused the priveliges he had.
Of course he won't stand for another term, nobody would vote for him now...we expect our leaders to be righteous, do the right thing, we are horribly let down when they don't.

Reactions: Rhamiel
Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Royalty is not allowed to marry anyone who is catholic.

But the thing is, Princess diana wasnt a christian...she was into new age religion. But because she wasnt catholic its ok. Ironically her mother became a catholic later in life.
the English law about the monarch not being allowed to marry a Catholic is a left over from the religious wars in Europe
the King of England could marry a Muslim but not a Catholic

wait, I was just googling this
they can now marry Catholics
as of 2013
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Succession_to_the_Crown_Act_2013#Marriage_to_Roman_Catholics

in 2001 Lord Nicholas Windsor gave up his place as like the 26th in line to the throne when he became Catholic

I'm not sure about other European kingdoms, I'd have to take a look their government. I know Russia was very absolute until the Russian Revolution.
Russia is a brutal country
under the Czar, under Communism, under an Oligarchy pretending to be Democratic
all of the regimes are totalitarian
I think this has more to do with Russian Culture not really being part of Western culture and thus not really having an understanding of Human Rights

Upvote 0

SnowyMacie

Apr 12, 2011
North Texas
✟118,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
In Relationship
Russia is a brutal country
under the Czar, under Communism, under an Oligarchy pretending to be Democratic
all of the regimes are totalitarian
I think this has more to do with Russian Culture not really being part of Western culture and thus not really having an understanding of Human Rights

Russia really wasn't any more brutal than France or any of the other absolute monarchies in Europe. They had horrible czars and good czars, just like every other kingdom. Russia has a fascinating history, in my opinion.

Reactions: Ubuntu
Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I was meaning british royalty, I edited my post.
But it may have changed, I don't know. They also changed the primogeniture laws, recently meaning a female heir can inherit the throne, if she is firstborn, or second, she isn't passed over in favour of the male.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I once attended a last night of the proms concert, it was interesting. Id always been fascinated growing up, about the british royal family since the media seemed to worship them. They were rulers for some reason I couldnt quite figure out.
The myth went they had 'blue blood' and werent like other people.

One of the songs of last night of the proms which the brits always sing is called Rule Britannia and some of the lyrics go 'we will never never be slaves' its quite a rousing anthem. Imagine what its like to be ruler of an empire, and soveriegn over many nations. They have immense wealth, power and privelige.

Our Lord and saviour. Jesus in contrast, was born in a stable in Bethlehem. But his Kingdom of Heaven encompasses all of mankind. Not just the jew but gentile nations as well. He is King of King and lord of Lords, but many dont recognise him,, esp leaders of nations that arent christian.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I think its a mercy and a blessing that the british queen is a christian, and born again. She could have not been.

Im sure the presidents of the united states, some of them have been born again christians.

I know that there are dedicated prayers for nz govt, like they have prayers each day before session, although some atheists wouldnt agree, when it comes down to it, they accept people praying for them anyway, esp when they are on their deathbed!!!

Upvote 0

TheNorwegian

Aug 17, 2015
Norway
✟89,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I would triple the duties and tariffs on all imported goods.

All good sold in the US by American owned companies would have to produce 80% of those good within the US. In other words, 80% of all parts and materials needed to manufacture goods would have to be made or grown in the US. Those companies which didn't comply, would pay a 100% tariff on those goods imported.

The problem with this thinking is that it will kill US exports. If you impose an import tax on stuff from say, European Union - then EU would of course put a similar import tax on US goods. The result would be end of free trade (which may or may not be a good idea)

Upvote 0

William67

Sep 26, 2014
✟31,464.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The problem with this thinking is that it will kill US exports. If you impose an import tax on stuff from say, European Union - then EU would of course put a similar import tax on US goods. The result would be end of free trade (which may or may not be a good idea)

Except that the US doesn't really subsidize their products like most countries do, unless you consider small tax breaks a subsidy. That means that non-US companies can undercut our prices. When you couple that with the low cost of production in 3rd world countries, the US just cant compete. This is why steel production, textiles, etc. in the US is practically gone.

There is also the fact that about half the worlds resources are sold to the US. Raising prices on us would mean we would purchase less, which would also have a negative impact on those who raised the prices. Sure a "tax war" would be tough on us as prices climbed, but it would be devastating to the worlds economy as whole.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TheNorwegian

Aug 17, 2015
Norway
✟89,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There is also the fact that about half the worlds resources are sold to the US. Raising prices on us would mean we would purchase less, which would also have a negative impact on those who raised the prices. Sure a "tax war" would be tough on us as prices climbed, but it would be devastating to the worlds economy as whole.

Not correct. EU is in fact a larger trading partner for China than the US
www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_the_largest_trading_partners_of_China

Most of our manufactured goods come from china...i have hardly anything made in the eu. Takes too long to get here as well.

Yes, China is the largest trading partner for the US, but the next 4 countries are Canada, Mexico, Japan and Germany. Thos 4 countries export twice as much to the US then China do

https://www.census.gov/foreign-trade/statistics/highlights/toppartners.html

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I think the next biggest partners for nz are Japan and maybe australia.

I dont think we trade much with the germans and mexicans or the US for that matter, although they do give us Violent and sexual Hollywood movies and terrible television.

Upvote 0

radhead

Contributor
Feb 20, 2006
✟63,827.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I think the next biggest partners for nz are Japan and maybe australia.

I dont think we trade much with the germans and mexicans or the US for that matter, although they do give us Violent and sexual Hollywood movies and terrible television.

The Bible gives us more than our fair of sex and violence. But I get the impression most Christians haven't read Moses or the Prophets very much. In fact, many of them discourage reading either.

Upvote 0

TheNorwegian

Aug 17, 2015
Norway
✟89,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Bible gives us more than our fair of sex and violence. But I get the impression most Christians haven't read Moses or the Prophets very much. In fact, many of them discourage reading either.

And the relevance of this to the topic - is exactly what? Your comment seems quite narrow minded, to be honest
Are you saying that since the Bible speaks about violence and sex, it is not possible that there are other sources for such things? Or are you saying that Christians should only speak about the Bible, and nothing else?

PS. I have read a lot in Moses and the prophets, but I do not often quote it when talking about international trade. Although there are som good principles there, which if followed would make this world a better one

Upvote 0