If there was no Baptist church to attend.....

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟747,724.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
A Calvinistic church is a Calvinistic Church. A Baptist Church is a Baptist Church. A Reformed Baptist Church may have been a Baptist Church before it was reformed, but it ain't no more. A Calvinistic Baptist Church may have been a Baptist Church before they turned Calvinistic, but they ain't no more.

When John the Baptist becomes John the Reformed Baptist or John the Calvinistic Baptist, then I will be the same kind of Baptist as John. Ever since he was beheaded, I doubt that he will change from being a Baptist with no extra description words attached before or after "Baptist".

Extremely glib.

Upvote 0

MrJim

Legend 3/17/05
Mar 17, 2005
FEMA Region III
✟42,622.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
To be a Catholic, you have to be baptized as a Catholic.
I wonder why Jesus was baptized by a Baptist?

Why did the apostles in Acts require the replacement for Judas be somebody who had been baptized by John's baptism? Why was the Apostle Paul baptized according to John's Batpism? Why did Jesus insist John Baptize Him?

Yep, you can cut my head off and it won't stop me from being a Baptist. I might hush up about being a Baptist if it meant keeping my head on my shoulders, but if they tried to force me to officially join a church that is not a Baptist church, they can have my head and send me to heaven. It didn't stop John the Baptist, won't stop me. When Jesus gives me that new name He has for me on a white stone in heaven, maybe then I won't be a Baptist any more. Untill then, I'll be a Baptist, and if the name on that white stone says I'm a baptist, I'll be a Baptist forever.

John the Southern Baptist or John the FreeWill Baptist or John the Independent Baptist or John the American Baptist or John the Primitive Baptist or John the General Baptist or John the Reformed Baptist or....?:cool:

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,440.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This is a hypothetical question for curiosity sake. I'm really not sure what direction it would take from others, but from my part, I'm just curious what denomination you would attend if there was not a Baptist Church around.

Maybe find like minded individuals and start one:)

Upvote 0

revrobor

Veteran
Jun 24, 2003
Checotah, OK
Visit site
✟21,005.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This is a hypothetical question for curiosity sake. I'm really not sure what direction it would take from others, but from my part, I'm just curious what denomination you would attend if there was not a Baptist Church around.

For me, it would clearly have to be Lutheran Church. I'm sure there would be topics that would become a little weird for me, but I've listened to Lutheran podcasts for almost 5 years and I'm quite comfortable with them. I feel the LCMS is far superior to any other group in theology. I just can't get myself to go, probably out of pragmatism of always going to Baptist churches. And I'm in a church now I am content in enough that it isn't getting sucked into the dirty waters of Mega Baptist Church Rick Warren/Lifeway ideology of seeker driven/missional montras.

The church I used to go (quit last year) was clearly in the middle of all that. I began to hate going to church about 5 years ago but kept going because my family was so attached. Thankfully we all moved on last year. I'm much more content at Grace Baptist Church in Fort Worth (gracelink.com) off 820. Good solid foundations at this church. I even attended the 55+ class last week because their teacher is great exegetical teacher. Didn't care that the class was proably more like 65+ while I'm 46 (My wife was home with our son who had stomach flu).

Anyway, I enjoy going to church again. Didn't really see that coming for awhile. The other church really took my joy away even though they were great in outside ministries, their preaching was inept.

Sorry for the vent. Anyway, what church would you attend.....if you couldn't attend a Baptist Church.

In my years as a Believer since 1949 I have attended Baptist, Christian And Missionary Alliance, Christian, Assembly of God, Nazarene and non-denominational. They are basically all the same and none has an exclusive hold on the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

Upvote 0

holyrokker

Contributor
Sep 4, 2004
California
Visit site
✟20,850.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I am not emotionally tied to the Baptist Church. I am a member of a Baptist congregation, but the name "Baptist" is coincidental.

If I were to leave the current congregation, I would check out the local Nazarene church or Church of God.

Upvote 0