If there was no Baptist church to attend.....

mikedsjr

Master Newbie
Aug 7, 2014
Fort Worth,Tx
✟17,192.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
This is a hypothetical question for curiosity sake. I'm really not sure what direction it would take from others, but from my part, I'm just curious what denomination you would attend if there was not a Baptist Church around.

For me, it would clearly have to be Lutheran Church. I'm sure there would be topics that would become a little weird for me, but I've listened to Lutheran podcasts for almost 5 years and I'm quite comfortable with them. I feel the LCMS is far superior to any other group in theology. I just can't get myself to go, probably out of pragmatism of always going to Baptist churches. And I'm in a church now I am content in enough that it isn't getting sucked into the dirty waters of Mega Baptist Church Rick Warren/Lifeway ideology of seeker driven/missional montras.

The church I used to go (quit last year) was clearly in the middle of all that. I began to hate going to church about 5 years ago but kept going because my family was so attached. Thankfully we all moved on last year. I'm much more content at Grace Baptist Church in Fort Worth (gracelink.com) off 820. Good solid foundations at this church. I even attended the 55+ class last week because their teacher is great exegetical teacher. Didn't care that the class was proably more like 65+ while I'm 46 (My wife was home with our son who had stomach flu).

Anyway, I enjoy going to church again. Didn't really see that coming for awhile. The other church really took my joy away even though they were great in outside ministries, their preaching was inept.

Sorry for the vent. Anyway, what church would you attend.....if you couldn't attend a Baptist Church.

Blue Wren

Sep 22, 2014
Solna, Sweden
✟26,447.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
In Sweden there are few (if any) Baptist churches. I attend a church, that is a part of the Church of Sweden, when I'm home. It is close to Lutheran, in its theology. I used to attend a Catholic church, that was on my street. It has the most active people, far more who are my age, than other churches.

I only began attending a Baptist church, when I came to the US, through a friend who invited me. The people, they are sincere, in their love, for Christ, and it has, such a nice active youth group, that I've stayed, with it. This Baptist church, is extremely different, than what, I think, most Baptist churches the people on here attend, are like. I'd never heard, of some of the things, people fight about, until I came, to this place.

I only care, about the heart, of the people, and that Christ is their saviour.

Reactions: Ada Lovelace
Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟745,855.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
A Presbyterian church as long as it is conservative. Most of the Reformed churches in my area are pretty liberal, the other "conservative" seems legalistic. If not Presby LCMS or WELS. Gospel Hall Brethren might not be so bad if they didn't push the PreTrib rapture stuff as core doctrine.

Yours in the Lord,

jm

Upvote 0

Saricharity

Follower of Christ
Mar 24, 2014
Canada
✟75,597.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Probably I would attend an Associated Gospel church or perhaps a Wesleyan. I've attended many different churches including Catholic, United, Anglican, Pentecostal and I've been to a Synagogue.
The Jewish service was very interesting and the music was incredible.
Pentecostal was so distracting. I'm not used to people continually talking during the sermon. I couldn't stop looking and listening to all the things going on in the service (people waving flags, speaking in tongues and fainting)
United and Anglican services were very traditional and empty...no young families.
Catholic services always confuse me. I always feel like I need a handbook to know what I'm supposed to do.

Just a few observations I've had over the years.

Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
If there were no Calvinistic Baptist church for me to attend I would start one. Otherwise I would not attend church. Went the Presbyterian route many years back becuse there was no Calvinistic Baptist that I was aware of. The differences were a real stumblingblock. I will never compromise truth again just to get along.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mikedsjr

Master Newbie
Aug 7, 2014
Fort Worth,Tx
✟17,192.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Evangelical Free. Some have said Lutheran and Presbyterian more closely match most Baptist doctrines, but I'm SBC and can be very comfortable and feel fed best when outside my chosen denomination by EF churches.

Wow. Never heard of them til now.i was expecting them to be a west or east coast denim, but they're here in Texas. Do they not evangelize?

Upvote 0

timberwallace

Feb 10, 2015
✟15,179.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Evangelical Free. Some have said Lutheran and Presbyterian more closely match most Baptist doctrines, but I'm SBC and can be very comfortable and feel fed best when outside my chosen denomination by EF churches.

I'm with you. Evangelical Free tend to be thinkers and very committed to the Bible and to grace.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SaintJoeNow

Mar 4, 2015
USA
✟3,191.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Have to start one. If Baptists were outlawed, then only the most trusted members could admit to each other that they are Baptists. If any will live godly in Christ Jesus, they will suffer persecution. If you take a stand for the Lord and against sin, you are going to be persecuted for it as much as the law will allow or as much as people who dislike your stand can get away with. Might as well suffer as a Baptist. It was good enough for John the Baptist, good enough for me.

Upvote 0

SaintJoeNow

Mar 4, 2015
USA
✟3,191.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
A Calvinistic church is a Calvinistic Church. A Baptist Church is a Baptist Church. A Reformed Baptist Church may have been a Baptist Church before it was reformed, but it ain't no more. A Calvinistic Baptist Church may have been a Baptist Church before they turned Calvinistic, but they ain't no more.

When John the Baptist becomes John the Reformed Baptist or John the Calvinistic Baptist, then I will be the same kind of Baptist as John. Ever since he was beheaded, I doubt that he will change from being a Baptist with no extra description words attached before or after "Baptist".

Upvote 0

SaintJoeNow

Mar 4, 2015
USA
✟3,191.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
To be a Catholic, you have to be baptized as a Catholic.
I wonder why Jesus was baptized by a Baptist?

Why did the apostles in Acts require the replacement for Judas be somebody who had been baptized by John's baptism? Why was the Apostle Paul baptized according to John's Batpism? Why did Jesus insist John Baptize Him?

Yep, you can cut my head off and it won't stop me from being a Baptist. I might hush up about being a Baptist if it meant keeping my head on my shoulders, but if they tried to force me to officially join a church that is not a Baptist church, they can have my head and send me to heaven. It didn't stop John the Baptist, won't stop me. When Jesus gives me that new name He has for me on a white stone in heaven, maybe then I won't be a Baptist any more. Untill then, I'll be a Baptist, and if the name on that white stone says I'm a baptist, I'll be a Baptist forever.

Upvote 0