If nobody bore false witness....

T

TrustAndObey

I recently bought some software off eBay for one of my classes and the shipping was free. The ad said I'd receive it in 4-10 business days.

12 business days later I e-mailed the seller and asked what the status was, and he informed me that he'd be GETTING the software in a few days and would mail it out to me ASAP.

I got it alright. It was a BLANK disk.

When I e-mailed him about it, he said it had to be my operating system or I didn't have enough RAM for the software.

I'm telling you, the disk was blank.

Anyway, I went to e-mail him back and noticed he was no longer a registered user.

I contacted PayPal and opened a claim.

Long story short, I downloaded the trial version (HUGE file) and tried to use the serial number on the back of this disk case, and it was a bogus serial number. He denies that of course.

I spent part of yesterday afternoon on the phone with the makers of the software and they confirmed, indeed, that I had been taken to the cleaners on this deal.

I told the seller what they had told me, and he said he would give me a new serial number and a partial refund. He told me he's already in big trouble and asked if I could do this without contacting the authorities.

I have to say, I did feel true sympathy for him and I'm thinking he'll probably be facing FEDERAL charges for selling bogus software to people.

I'm continuing going through the proper channels though because I don't have the money to buy new software. Through PayPal I'll get $200 back, which isn't all of it, but I'll be happy with that.

I don't feel good about it though. I feel bad for someone that is misrepresenting their merchandise and intentionally selling something that could get them in trouble.

I'm lifting him up in prayer and I hope you guys will too.

Consequences are important, but I wish I hadn't been any part of it to be honest. I feel very torn.

O

OntheDL

I recently bought some software off eBay for one of my classes and the shipping was free. The ad said I'd receive it in 4-10 business days.

12 business days later I e-mailed the seller and asked what the status was, and he informed me that he'd be GETTING the software in a few days and would mail it out to me ASAP.

I got it alright. It was a BLANK disk.

When I e-mailed him about it, he said it had to be my operating system or I didn't have enough RAM for the software.

I'm telling you, the disk was blank.

Anyway, I went to e-mail him back and noticed he was no longer a registered user.

I contacted PayPal and opened a claim.

Long story short, I downloaded the trial version (HUGE file) and tried to use the serial number on the back of this disk case, and it was a bogus serial number. He denies that of course.

I spent part of yesterday afternoon on the phone with the makers of the software and they confirmed, indeed, that I had been taken to the cleaners on this deal.

I told the seller what they had told me, and he said he would give me a new serial number and a partial refund. He told me he's already in big trouble and asked if I could do this without contacting the authorities.

I have to say, I did feel true sympathy for him and I'm thinking he'll probably be facing FEDERAL charges for selling bogus software to people.

I'm continuing going through the proper channels though because I don't have the money to buy new software. Through PayPal I'll get $200 back, which isn't all of it, but I'll be happy with that.

I don't feel good about it though. I feel bad for someone that is misrepresenting their merchandise and intentionally selling something that could get them in trouble.

I'm lifting him up in prayer and I hope you guys will too.

Consequences are important, but I wish I hadn't been any part of it to be honest. I feel very torn.

Sorry Lainie, I know this isn't going to help now. But Paypal blows. Did you use a credit card through Paypal? Always pay with a credit card even with Paypal. And don't buy software off of ebay.

Upvote 0
T

TrustAndObey

Sorry Lainie, I know this isn't going to help now. But Paypal blows. Did you use a credit card through Paypal? Always pay with a credit card even with Paypal. And don't buy software off of ebay.

I don't own any credit cards but I did use my debit card which is considered a Mastercard.

I've bought plenty of software off eBay before and never had a problem. Unfortunately, I dealt with someone that wasn't very honest this time. :(

Upvote 0

thecountrydoc

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2006
San Marcos, CA
✟48,164.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
HI Lainie,

I don't know what the specific software was that you ordered but you did say it was for your class(s). Are you aware that all kinds of software is available to registered students at a fraction of what may be the retail price? If you haven't explored this possibility and would like to please feel free to drop me a note.

Your frind and brother in Christ,
Doc :wave:

Upvote 0

thecountrydoc

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2006
San Marcos, CA
✟48,164.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Hi once again Lainie,

Once again I don't know exactly what software you may need, or want, nor do I know what you have been told. What I do know is that my oldest son is a Profesor of Biology, who teaches upper divison micro at an Eastern college. He and I have had several dscussions about what is avaiable and it certainly has always been the brand name software or it may course or subject specific and not be something that you would find at a retailer. Believe me he wouldn't let any of his students get anything that is less than the best. Whenever you are ready let me know what you want or need and I'll find out the best way to obtain it at the best price.

Sometime I'll have to tell you about my son since you indicated some worry about taking micro. He is one of a very few world wide that has taken micro into the world of nuclear research.

Your friend in Christ,
Doc

Upvote 0
T

TrustAndObey

Okay Doc, don't laugh!!

I'm taking a PhotoShop class for my scrapbooking. :) Now that's pretty scientific right there. HA!

I am trying to get Adobe PhotoShop CS2 or CS3.

If your son can point me in the direction of a reputable dealer with less expensive software I would be much obliged!! The price I got it for on eBay was about the same as the Academic software, so I was really excited. Alas, I was ripped off.

Happy Sabbath!

Upvote 0
O

OntheDL

I don't own any credit cards but I did use my debit card which is considered a Mastercard.

I've bought plenty of software off eBay before and never had a problem. Unfortunately, I dealt with someone that wasn't very honest this time. :(

Lainie,

Have you contacted your card issuer (even if it's a debit card) to dispute the charge?

Upvote 0
T

TrustAndObey

I have it worked out through PayPal. I have to return the BLANK disk (still irks me) and I'll get a full refund. I have to pay the postage to send it back, plus tracking, but it's worth it.

The seller kept e-mailing me "hey, how about this? How about I give you $150 back and then give you a GOOD serial number so you can register it?"

He knew he was lying all along. I got no more sympathy for him.

Upvote 0