If David didnt ascend to Heaven when he died (Acts 2:34-35), why do we think we will go when we die?

FredVB

Mar 11, 2010
America
Visit site
✟268,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Jesus said it won't come through observation. Our bodies are the temple so yes it is in us.

The Spirit of God is in believers whose bodies are the temple to him. Jesus said either the kingdom is within you, or, as this was said for his followers, the kingdom of God is among you, with the kingdom in any case meaning the rulership of Yahweh God. This is what comes without some tangible thing being observed. It is not the same thing as going to Heaven, which is for believers. This includes believers of old testament times, including those listed as examples in Hebrews 11, David will be included too, and for believers who come to faith with responsiveness to God's grace even where believers have not brought the gospel, God is that gracious for that possibility and not willing that any should perish but that they should come to repentance, which is with faith which has God's salvation for them. We who are believers come to be with Christ when we die physically, this is going to heaven, where our spirits would be. The physical presence won't happen until the resurrection, this includes David and old testament believers, and all the other believers since. The ascension that David didn't experience already is a contrast to Jesus Christ, who is the one who ascended.

Jesus will return to this world, and that will be observed.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟916,114.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
The Spirit of God is in believers whose bodies are the temple to him. Jesus said either the kingdom is within you, or, as this was said for his followers, the kingdom of God is among you, with the kingdom in any case meaning the rulership of Yahweh God. This is what comes without some tangible thing being observed. It is not the same thing as going to Heaven, which is for believers. This includes believers of old testament times, including those listed as examples in Hebrews 11, David will be included too, and for believers who come to faith with responsiveness to God's grace even where believers have not brought the gospel, God is that gracious for that possibility and not willing that any should perish but that they should come to repentance, which is with faith which has God's salvation for them. We who are believers come to be with Christ when we die physically, this is going to heaven, where our spirits would be. The physical presence won't happen until the resurrection, this includes David and old testament believers, and all the other believers since. The ascension that David didn't experience already is a contrast to Jesus Christ, who is the one who ascended.

Jesus will return to this world, and that will be observed.

In Acts 2 we have this -

29 “Brethren, I may confidently say to you regarding the patriarch David that he both died and was buried, and his tomb is with us to this day. 30 And so, because he was a prophet and knew that God had sworn to him with an oath to seat one of his descendants on his throne, 31 he looked ahead and spoke of the resurrection of the Christ, that He was neither abandoned to Hades, nor did His flesh suffer decay. 32 This Jesus God raised up again, to which we are all witnesses.

"His flesh" - so then flesh is something he "has" not something he "is".
But then He was neither abandoned to hades - appears in contrast between David and Christ.

And this is spoken after the resurrection of Christ - where David is still considered to have died.

Does the text say that David 'lives with Christ and some day his flesh will also live with Christ"?

Certainly the "spirit returns to God who gave it" for all mankind at death. But 1 Thess 4 calls the saints in that condition 'those who sleep in Christ"

Reactions: n2thelight
Upvote 0

FredVB

Mar 11, 2010
America
Visit site
✟268,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Does the text say that David 'lives with Christ and some day his flesh will also live with Christ"?
Certainly the "spirit returns to God who gave it" for all mankind at death. But 1 Thess 4 calls the saints in that condition 'those who sleep in Christ"

What would sleep in Christ actually mean? Can we know now just from the expression alone? Indeed actual sleep that we know from experience is without awareness of things we are aware of while awake, awareness coming to us awakes us. But with the expression of sleep in Christ, can it mean being in Christ without real awareness of Christ?

I understand scripture to say we who are believers go to be with Christ right when we die physically. If we understand that the awareness of the experience of being with Christ happens next, when physical death comes to any believer, it is not a great issue if you or any think this experience is at an event to happen much later, and some such as I see that there is immediate presence with Christ that is meant. The actual thing revealed is shown in Philippians 1:21-23, from Paul.

For to me, to live is Christ, and to die is gain. But if I live on in the flesh, this will mean fruit from my labor; yet what I shall choose I cannot tell. For I am hard-pressed between the two, having a desire to depart and be with Christ, which is far better.

How indeed would it be better to depart from this life right away, to be with Christ?

Upvote 0