Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Yet this passage here Jesus responds with the blasphemy against the Spirit in direct contrast to this Pharisee accusing Him of healing someone by the power of Satan. This is right after the people turn to these leaders and say "Is this not the Son of David." Meaning they recognized Jesus was the Messiah.

This is why I say blasphemy against the Spirit is very specific to saying that Jesus was of Satan; (knowing full well that He wasn't).
That definitely is blasphemy of the Holy Spirit but it simply isn't the only way to blaspheme the Holy Spirit. To blaspheme means to speak badly against so any negative speaking against the Holy Spirit is unforgivable. If someone said the HS was a weaker spirit than the spirit of a different god that would also be "speaketh against the Holy Ghost". It doesn't have to be related to miracles or healing or Satan. .
From what I have been studying, it appears Jesus was speaking more to the OC 1st century Judean Rulers concerning that blasphemy.
Had to dust off my "blasphem" study.................

Strong's Concordance with Hebrew and Greek Lexicon

987. blasphemeo from 989;
to vilify; specially, to speak impiously:--(speak) blaspheme(-er, -mously, -my), defame, rail on, revile, speak evil.
988. blasphemia from 989;
vilification (especially against God):--blasphemy, evil speaking, railing.
989. blasphemos from a derivative of 984 and 5345;
scurrilious, i.e. calumnious (against men), or (specially) impious (against God):--blasphemer(-mous), railing.
==========================
I put down a few verses from a few of the Greek words from above:

G988

Mar 14:64 - “You have heard the blasphemy! What do you think?”
And they all condemned Him to be deserving of death.
Luk 5:21 - And the scribes and the Pharisees began to reason, saying, “Who is this who speaks blasphemies? Who can forgive sins but God alone?”
Jhn 10:33 - The Jews answered Him, saying, “For a good work we do not stone You, but for blasphemy, and because You, being a Man, make Yourself God.”

Rev 2:9
“I know your works, tribulation, and poverty (but you are rich); and I know the blasphemy of those who say they are Jews and are not, but are a synagogue of Satan.
======================
G987

Mat 26:65
Then the high priest tore his clothes, saying, “He has spoken blasphemy!
What further need do we have of witnesses? Look, now you have heard His blasphemy!

Act 13:45
But when the Jews saw the multitudes, they were filled with envy;
and contradicting and blaspheming, they opposed the things spoken by Paul.

Rom 2:23
23 You who make your boast in the law, do you dishonor God through breaking the law?
24 For the name of God is blasphemed among the Gentiles because of you,”[fn] as it is written.

Revelation 16:21 "..great HAIL fell on men as a talent weight.." Josephus

Rev 16:11
11 They blasphemed the God of heaven because of their pains and their sores,
and did not repent of their deeds

21 And Hail great as talent-weight/talantiaia <5006> is descending out of the Heaven upon the men,
and the men blaspheme the God out of the blow of the Hail, that great is the blow of it/her, tremendous. [# 5464 used in Ezekiel 38:22]
============================
A fairly good commentary on it:

Kindgdom Bible Studies Savior of the World Series Part 1

They had been watching Him, and listening to Him, and beholding the wonders that He wrought, and at last in the presence of this wonderful miracle, wrought with absolute authority, simply by the uttering of a word, they cried out with comprehension and joy, "Is not this the son of David - the Messiah!"

When the Pharisees heard this, they were filled with jealousy and rage. Here was a manifest miracle of undeniable wonder and power, and the common people were fast drawing the proper inferences from it, and coming to the conclusion that Jesus was indeed the Christ, the Son of David, the Son of the living God. They were acquainted with the messianic prophecy of Isaiah, "Then the eyes of the blind shall be opened, and the ears of the deaf shall be unstopped" (Isa. 35:5). It was a perpetual fear among the Pharisees and rulers that they might lose their hold on the people and they were willing to do almost anything to keep the people from following Jesus.

They were proud of the reputation they had among the people; that fed their pride, supported their power, and filled their purses. Not unlike the religious systems of today! They saw very clearly that if the popularity and power of Jesus continued to rise, their power would be absolutely gone. Upon occasion they said, "What can we do?" for "the world is gone after Him." It was necessary for the Pharisees to account for the wonder that had been wrought in some way. Whatever way they chose, it was necessary that they should acknowledge that there was super-human power; the people were fully persuaded of this and no man could deny it. So the Pharisees proclaimed to the people, "This man casts out demons only by and with the help of Beelzebub, the prince of demons."

So terrible was the thing that the rulers had said that Jesus, first of all, refuted by argument what they said. The record states, "And knowing their thoughts, He said to them, Any kingdom that is divided against itself is being brought to desolation and laid waste, and no city or house divided against itself will last or continue to stand. And if Satan drives out Satan, he has become divided against himself and disunited; how then will his kingdom last or continue to stand? And if I drive out the demons by the help of Beelzebub, by whose help do your sons (the exorcists of the Jews) drive them out? For this reason they shall be your judges. But if it is by the Spirit of God that I drive out the demons, then the kingdom of God has come upon you before you expected it" (Mat. 12:25-28, Amplified). We now reach those awe-inspiring words with which the paragraph closes. Jesus addresses these stem words to the self-righteous religious leaders of the Jewish nation. For searching solemnity they are unsurpassed in the records of the things Jesus said. We tremble as we read them. Such solemn words as these demand our careful attention for two reasons: first, in order that we may place no untrue emphasis on them; and, secondly, that we may by no means minimize their terrible meaning. We are in danger of making both these mistakes.

We may read into them meanings which He never intended; or we may explain away the most solemn words Jesus Christ ever uttered. The only way in which we can hope to understand, is by taking them in the simplest way possible.
Our Lord declared, in the words of the King James Bible, "All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men; but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men. And whosoever speaks a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaks against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come" (Mat. 12:31-32).

WHAT IS THE SIN?

What is the sin against the Holy Spirit? In the third chapter of Mark, we have the parallel passage to the text we just read in Matthew, the same record of these men coming around Jesus when they saw Him perform His mighty miracle for the poor man who could neither see nor speak.
In order to keep the people from believing Jesus, they said the miracle was performed by the power of Satan. Notice the words of Jesus in verses 28-30: "Verily I say unto you, All sins shall be forgiven unto the sons of men, and blasphemies wherewith so ever they shall blaspheme. But he that shall blaspheme against the Holy Ghost has never forgiveness, but is in danger of eternal damnation: BECAUSE THEY SAID, HE HAS AN UNCLEAN SPIRIT." Ah - now there's a clue - the Pharisees' opposition to Jesus was not a spur of the moment, hotheaded fit of pique. These men knew what they were doing. Their schemes against Jesus were deliberate, calculated. A leading Pharisee, Nicodemus, once confided to Jesus, "Rabbi, we know that You are a teacher come from God; for no one can do these signs that you do unless God is with him" (Jn. 3:2). Many of them knew better, but unlike Nicodemus they still plotted to destroy Him. They had developed an implacable contempt for Jesus because He presented a threat to their prestige and power over the people. Jesus warned them of the dire consequences of their attitude and actions. They were not just sinning against God in heaven above, or against the Son of God on earth - they were resisting, opposing, withstanding, impugning, confronting, assailing, attacking and repulsing the Holy Spirit - THE VERY ACTIVITY AND MINISTRATION OF GOD TOWARDS THEM! They were in danger of blaspheming the Holy Ghost!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

The Righterzpen

Jesus is my Shield in any Desert or Storm
Feb 9, 2019
Western NY
Visit site
✟144,607.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
From what I have been studying, it appears Jesus was speaking more to the OC 1st century Judean Rulers concerning that blasphemy.
Had to dust off my "blasphem" study.................

987. blasphemeo from 989;
to vilify; specially, to speak impiously:--(speak) blaspheme(-er, -mously, -my), defame, rail on, revile, speak evil.
988. blasphemia from 989;
vilification (especially against God):--blasphemy, evil speaking, railing.
989. blasphemos from a derivative of 984 and 5345;
scurrilious, i.e. calumnious (against men), or (specially) impious (against God):--blasphemer(-mous), railing.
I put down a few verses from a few of the Greek words from above:

G988

Mar 14:64 - “You have heard the blasphemy! What do you think?”
And they all condemned Him to be deserving of death.
Luk 5:21 - And the scribes and the Pharisees began to reason, saying, “Who is this who speaks blasphemies? Who can forgive sins but God alone?”
Jhn 10:33 - The Jews answered Him, saying, “For a good work we do not stone You, but for blasphemy, and because You, being a Man, make Yourself God.”

Rev 2:9
“I know your works, tribulation, and poverty (but you are rich); and I know the blasphemy of those who say they are Jews and are not, but are a synagogue of Satan.
======================
G987

Mat 26:65
Then the high priest tore his clothes, saying, “He has spoken blasphemy!
What further need do we have of witnesses? Look, now you have heard His blasphemy!

Act 13:45
But when the Jews saw the multitudes, they were filled with envy;
and contradicting and blaspheming, they opposed the things spoken by Paul.

Rom 2:23
23 You who make your boast in the law, do you dishonor God through breaking the law?
24 For the name of God is blasphemed among the Gentiles because of you,”[fn] as it is written.

Revelation 16:21 "..great HAIL fell on men as a talent weight.." Josephus

Rev 16:11
11 They blasphemed the God of heaven because of their pains and their sores, and did not repent of their deeds
21 And Hail great as talent-weight/talantiaia <5006> is descending out of the Heaven upon the men,
and the men blaspheme the God out of the blow of the Hail, that great is the blow of it/her, tremendous. [# 5464 used in Ezekiel 38:22]
============================
A fairly good commentary on it:

Kindgdom Bible Studies Savior of the World Series Part 1

They had been watching Him, and listening to Him, and beholding the wonders that He wrought, and at last in the presence of this wonderful miracle, wrought with absolute authority, simply by the uttering of a word, they cried out with comprehension and joy, "Is not this the son of David - the Messiah!"

When the Pharisees heard this, they were filled with jealousy and rage. Here was a manifest miracle of undeniable wonder and power, and the common people were fast drawing the proper inferences from it, and coming to the conclusion that Jesus was indeed the Christ, the Son of David, the Son of the living God. They were acquainted with the messianic prophecy of Isaiah, "Then the eyes of the blind shall be opened, and the ears of the deaf shall be unstopped" (Isa. 35:5). It was a perpetual fear among the Pharisees and rulers that they might lose their hold on the people and they were willing to do almost anything to keep the people from following Jesus. They were proud of the reputation they had among the people; that fed their pride, supported their power, and filled their purses. Not unlike the religious systems of today! They saw very clearly that if the popularity and power of Jesus continued to rise, their power would be absolutely gone. Upon occasion they said, "What can we do?" for "the world is gone after Him." It was necessary for the Pharisees to account for the wonder that had been wrought in some way. Whatever way they chose, it was necessary that they should acknowledge that there was super-human power; the people were fully persuaded of this and no man could deny it. So the Pharisees proclaimed to the people, "This man casts out demons only by and with the help of Beelzebub, the prince of demons."

So terrible was the thing that the rulers had said that Jesus, first of all, refuted by argument what they said. The record states, "And knowing their thoughts, He said to them, Any kingdom that is divided against itself is being brought to desolation and laid waste, and no city or house divided against itself will last or continue to stand. And if Satan drives out Satan, he has become divided against himself and disunited; how then will his kingdom last or continue to stand? And if I drive out the demons by the help of Beelzebub, by whose help do your sons (the exorcists of the Jews) drive them out? For this reason they shall be your judges. But if it is by the Spirit of God that I drive out the demons, then the kingdom of God has come upon you before you expected it" (Mat. 12:25-28, Amplified). We now reach those awe-inspiring words with which the paragraph closes. Jesus addresses these stem words to the self-righteous religious leaders of the Jewish nation. For searching solemnity they are unsurpassed in the records of the things Jesus said. We tremble as we read them. Such solemn words as these demand our careful attention for two reasons: first, in order that we may place no untrue emphasis on them; and, secondly, that we may by no means minimize their terrible meaning. We are in danger of making both these mistakes.

We may read into them meanings which He never intended; or we may explain away the most solemn words Jesus Christ ever uttered. The only way in which we can hope to understand, is by taking them in the simplest way possible. Our Lord declared, in the words of the King James Bible, "All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men; but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men. And whosoever speaks a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaks against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come" (Mat. 12:31-32).

WHAT IS THE SIN?

What is the sin against the Holy Spirit? In the third chapter of Mark, we have the parallel passage to the text we just read in Matthew, the same record of these men coming around Jesus when they saw Him perform His mighty miracle for the poor man who could neither see nor speak. In order to keep the people from believing Jesus, they said the miracle was performed by the power of Satan. Notice the words of Jesus in verses 28-30: "Verily I say unto you, All sins shall be forgiven unto the sons of men, and blasphemies wherewith so ever they shall blaspheme. But he that shall blaspheme against the Holy Ghost has never forgiveness, but is in danger of eternal damnation: BECAUSE THEY SAID, HE HAS AN UNCLEAN SPIRIT." Ah - now there's a clue - the Pharisees' opposition to Jesus was not a spur of the moment, hotheaded fit of pique. These men knew what they were doing. Their schemes against Jesus were deliberate, calculated. A leading Pharisee, Nicodemus, once confided to Jesus, "Rabbi, we know that You are a teacher come from God; for no one can do these signs that you do unless God is with him" (Jn. 3:2). Many of them knew better, but unlike Nicodemus they still plotted to destroy Him. They had developed an implacable contempt for Jesus because He presented a threat to their prestige and power over the people. Jesus warned them of the dire consequences of their attitude and actions. They were not just sinning against God in heaven above, or against the Son of God on earth - they were resisting, opposing, withstanding, impugning, confronting, assailing, attacking and repulsing the Holy Spirit - THE VERY ACTIVITY AND MINISTRATION OF GOD TOWARDS THEM! They were in danger of blaspheming the Holy Ghost!

I'd never thought of this as applying post Jesus ascension; (you've got Acts and Romans verses quoted in here) but I think you're onto something here!

Seeing how the proof that the gospel they were preaching was true; they did the same things Jesus did. So thus "blasphemy against the Spirit" would have continued up until the completion of the Scripture; assuming miraculous events continued to the completion of the Scripture.

Good catch there! :oldthumbsup::oldthumbsup::oldthumbsup:

Upvote 0

The Righterzpen

Feb 9, 2019
Western NY
Visit site
✟144,607.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
That definitely is blasphemy of the Holy Spirit but it simply isn't the only way to blaspheme the Holy Spirit. To blaspheme means to speak badly against so any negative speaking against the Holy Spirit is unforgivable. If someone said the HS was a weaker spirit than the spirit of a different god that would also be "speaketh against the Holy Ghost". It doesn't have to be related to miracles or healing or Satan. .

Think about that though. If my 5 year old for what ever reason says something like. "Well I think the Holy Ghost is a big fat dummy." Would you really classify that as "blaspheming the Spirit of God"?

Now I've heard people who tote false miracles say: "You're blaspheming the Holy Ghost if you say this isn't true!" (Healthy skepticism is good for all of us these days!) And that's just as ridiculous as my 5 year old calling the Holy Ghost a dummy.

It has to be more defined than that; because God is not that capricious.

Upvote 0

The Righterzpen

Feb 9, 2019
Western NY
Visit site
✟144,607.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
@LittleLambofJesus - Just had a thought here; because you also have Revelation verses quoted here.

The beast is released at the end of time, yet cast into the lake of fire upon judgement day; so obviously we'd come to the conclusion that the beast still exists come judgement day.

Now the verses you quote about blaspheming related to Revelation. Granted it states they are blaspheming God, and not specifically the Holy Ghost (which admittedly could just be "splitting hairs") So maybe blaspheming God isn't just tied to up unto the point the Scripture is completed?

Obviously someone who would claim in the face of evidence (2000 years of it at this point) that Jesus was of the devil; would no want Him as their Redeemer, so thus do we still have the unpardonable sin today? That's a good question!

And if so, how would we define if someone had committed it?

We hear examples of Satanists who've become believers and Jews who hated Christianity who become believers and obviously if someone has become a genuine believer; they could not have committed blasphemy against the Holy Ghost.

Hum????

Me thinks this one requires some more digging.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
The Righterzpen said:
Yet this passage here Jesus responds with the blasphemy against the Spirit in direct contrast to this Pharisee accusing Him of healing someone by the power of Satan. This is right after the people turn to these leaders and say "Is this not the Son of David." Meaning they recognized Jesus was the Messiah.

This is why I say blasphemy against the Spirit is very specific to saying that Jesus was of Satan; (knowing full well that He wasn't).
ewq1938 said:
Had to dust off my "blasphemy" study.................
I'd never thought of this as applying post Jesus ascension; (you've got Acts and Romans verses quoted in here) but I think you're onto something here!

Seeing how the proof that the gospel they were preaching was true; they did the same things Jesus did. So thus "blasphemy against the Spirit" would have continued up until the completion of the Scripture; assuming miraculous events continued to the completion of the Scripture.

Good catch there! :oldthumbsup::oldthumbsup::oldthumbsup:
Thanks.
If you, and/or others, have time, you may want to view this thread I have on the "Rich Man and Poor Man" which also concerns the Religious Jewish Rulers......

Luke 16 "Rich Man/Poor Man" parable.....The most misunderstood/misinterpreted Parable in the NT?

This "Covenantle" parable is probably my largest study of the Bible and would like to go thru it. In fact, Luke is my favorite Gospel.........[also it is the same author as book of Acts]

This translation of verses 19-31 is by using the T-R, a Greek interlinear, and Lexicon/Concordance.

Luke 16 YLT

Luke 16:
14And also the Pharisees, being lovers of money, were hearing all these things, and were deriding him, 15and he said to them, ‘Ye are those declaring yourselves righteous before men, but God doth know your hearts; because that which among men is high, [is] abomination before God; 16the law and the prophets [are] till John; since then the reign of God is proclaimed good news, and every one doth press into it; 17and it is easier to the heaven and the earth to pass away, than of the law one tittle to fall.
18‘Every one who is sending away his wife, and marrying another, doth commit adultery; and every one who is marrying her sent away from a husband doth commit adultery.

19 Yet a certain Man was rich and was clothed purple and fine-linen making-merry down to a-day shiningly......................
===================
I had read thru this parable many times and never thought about the "5 brothers" until I read this commentary and it all fit together like a glove.

Lazarus and the Rich Man - Here a little, there a little - Commentary

LUKE 16:
27 "Then he said, 'I beg you therefore, father, that you would send him to my father's house,
28 for I have five brothers, that he may testify to them, lest they also come to this place of torment.' "
29 "Abraham said to him, 'They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them.' "

30 "And he said, 'Nay! father Abraham; but if one goes to them from the dead, they will repent.'

31 But he said to him, 'If they do not hear Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded though one rise from the dead.' "

Yielding himself to his destiny, the rich man asks one more thing of his forefather Abraham. He pleads with him to send someone to warn his brothers, so that they may escape "this place of torment" (basanou), the testing and punishment that he was undergoing.

The fact that the rich man has five brothers is a vital clue to his true symbolic identity.
Judah, the progenitor of the Jews, was the son of Jacob through Leah (Gen. 29:35). He had five full-blooded brothers: Reuben, Simeon, Levi, Issachar, and Zebulun (Gen. 35:23).

While the significance of this seemingly pointless detail has been neglected by scholars throughout the centuries, you can be certain that it did not escape the notice of the Pharisees and scribes to which Yeshua was speaking. They thoroughly knew their history and were extremely proud of their heritage. Yeshua wanted those self-righteous Pharisees to know exactly who he was referring to with this parable.
This detail cements the identity of the rich man as the House of Judah, the Jews..........
========================
So I decided to see what sin Judah committed
I keyed in "Sin Judah" in this concordance and came up with the 1 verse in the OT

Jer 17:
1 “The sin of Judah is written with a pen of iron;
With the point of a diamond it is engraved On the tablet of their heart,

And on the horns of your altars
2 While their children remember Their altars and their wooden images[fn]
By the green trees on the high hills.
3 O My mountain in the field,
I will give as plunder your wealth, all your treasures, And your high places of sin within all your borders.

4 And you, even yourself,Shall let go of your heritage which I gave you;
And I will cause you to serve your enemies In the land which you do not know;
For you have kindled a fire in My anger which shall burn forever.”

LUKE 16:24
"Then he cried and said, 'Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus that he may dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue; for I am being anguished in this flame.' "

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟917,005.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Think about that though. If my 5 year old for what ever reason says something like. "Well I think the Holy Ghost is a big fat dummy." Would you really classify that as "blaspheming the Spirit of God"?

Yes, because it is that. I don't think God would hold it against the child since it is a childish/silly statement but by definition it is blasphemy of the HS.

Remember: "whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him"

Upvote 0

The Righterzpen

Feb 9, 2019
Western NY
Visit site
✟144,607.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Yes, because it is that. I don't think God would hold it against the child since it is a childish/silly statement but by definition it is blasphemy of the HS.

Remember: "whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him"

Yet that doesn't answer the question of how to define that. I gave the example of Satanists and Jews (you could even throw Muslims in there). People who were very far off / hostile to the gospel. Assuming that if you 'blaspheme the Spirit" once; you're done for because it's unpardonable. Yet we see examples of people who would fit that definition who do become believers.

So what is it; and what should it really be defined as? (Acknowledging of course that the question may actually be unanswerable based on our lack of omniscience.)

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟917,005.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Yet we see examples of people who would fit that definition who do become believers.

I don't know what examples you are speaking of and since God is the judge it ultimately is up to him top decide when something violates speaking against the HS.

Upvote 0

The Righterzpen

Feb 9, 2019
Western NY
Visit site
✟144,607.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
I don't know what examples you are speaking of and since God is the judge it ultimately is up to him top decide when something violates speaking against the HS.

Well, I'd given examples of people who'd been Satanists, or Jews or Muslims or even atheists. Who've "spoken against" the Holy Ghost. (I suppose you could put just about anyone in that category.)

And I do agree that ultimately God knows if someone truly has or not. I still think though, there is a tighter definition to it then the one you've considered.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Well, I'd given examples of people who'd been Satanists, or Jews or Muslims or even atheists. Who've "spoken against" the Holy Ghost. (I suppose you could put just about anyone in that category.)
And I do agree that ultimately God knows if someone truly has or not. I still think though, there is a tighter definition to it then the one you've considered.
Good point.
An example would be the 1st century Jewish rulers who believed in God but rejected Jesus because of their own self righteousness.
They were taken out in 70AD and made His footstool..........

Luke 4:
17The book of the prophet Isaiah was handed to him. He opened the book, and found the place where it was written,
18"The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because he has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to proclaim release to the captives, recovering of sight to the blind, to deliver those who are crushed,
19and to proclaim the acceptable year of the Lord." 20He closed the book, gave it back to the attendant, and sat down. The eyes of all in the synagogue were fastened on him. 21He began to tell them, "Today, this Scripture has been fulfilled in your hearing."
25But truly I tell you, there were many widows in Israel in the days of Elijah, when the sky was shut up three years and six months, when a great famine came over all the land. 26Elijah was sent to none of them, except to Zarephath, in the land of Sidon, to a woman who was a widow. 27There were many lepers in Israel in the time of Elisha the prophet, yet not one of them was cleansed, except Naaman, the Syrian." 28They were all filled with wrath in the synagogue, as they heard these things. 29They rose up, threw him out of the city, and led him to the brow of the hill that their city was built on, that they might throw him off the cliff. 30But he, passing through the midst of them, went his way.

Matthew 3:7 Seeing yet many of the Pharisees and Sadducees coming upon his baptism he said to them "produce of vipers! who suggested to ye to be fleeing from the being about wrath?

Acts 5:17
Rising yet the Chief-Priest and all those together to-him--the being a sect/airesiV <139> of the Sadducees they are filled of-jealousy/boiling

3. The Sadducees | Bible.org

The Sadducees did not believe in the resurrection of the dead or the immortality of the soul, since these doctrines are not mentioned in the law of Moses. Neither did they believe in heaven or hell. They interpreted the law literally and tended to support strict justice as opposed to mercy toward the offender. Since Jesus supported all these things opposed by the Sadducees, Jesus did not fit within the Sadducean movement.

Being closely associated with the Temple, the Sadducees disappeared from history when the Temple was destroyed in 70.
Act 3:17
“Now, fellow Israelites, I know that you acted in ignorance, as did your leaders.
Act 17:30
In the past God overlooked such ignorance, but now he commands all people everywhere to repent.
Rom 10:3
For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and seeking to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted to the righteousness of God.
Eph 4:18
They are darkened in their understanding and separated from the life of God because of the ignorance that is in them due to the hardening of their hearts.
1Co 15:34
Come back to your senses as you ought, and stop sinning;
for there are some who are ignorant of God—I say this to your shame.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,598.00
Faith
Christian
I was reading Luke 22 today, and there was verse 22:

"And truly the Son of man goeth, as it was determined: but woe unto that man by whom he is betrayed!"

Now the one who betrayed Jesus is Judas.

As i was meditating on this, this thought came to mind:

Did Judas commit the unforgivable sin?
No .

Judas was never saved, even though he had part in the Apostle's ministry, Judas did not believe Christ was God come in the flesh.

Upvote 0