Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Okay so a couple of years ago I made some promises to God about something thats bothering me right now, and I ended up breaking those promises, but problems and things were happening that prevented me from being able to keep them and I just felt that I had to let them go. Its just that God said that he was going to give me something. So I made promises towards it, because I thought it was something that was going to last forever but it didn't and now I was unable to keep those promises. I asked for forgiveness for those promises that I've made, but I still can't help but feel terrible about them. I keep praying and praying and talking to God so many times about it, but I'm just not even sure what to think about it anymore or what I should do. I want to feel some relief about it, but the thoughts just always keeps coming back to haunt me. I feel like I'm really about to cry right now. I'm afraid I'm cursed or something. Its scaring me. I know it was a prayer that I made some promises on about something that I want in life, he answered a prayer that I thought that was going to complete that want, and now I'm afraid that I messed things up and that it won't ever be meant for me to get what I want anymore, since I broke some promises like that.

Also is it true that God gives you signs? I know this might sound silly to everyone, but like if you ask God is something going to happen and then you ask him to let you hear a sound or to make some kind of sign like that. Is it really true that he can show you things in those kind of ways when you ask for a sign like that? Like you ask him a question and he lets you hear a sound? I think its true that he can do this, because I think it worked a couple of times. So just because he made me hear sounds those other times and those things happened that I asked him about? Then does that mean that every time this will work? Because this is making me really nervous and I'm not even really sure to be able to know when he gives a sign anymore or if its meant to be a sign or not.

Please someone out there help me with all of this. I'm really about to have a break down right now. Just any helpful advice you can give me, post on my thread, or send me a message too if you would like. Anything is good. Although if you send me a message that would be better and then I can go more into detail about everything.

T

TruthSeeker2012

The answer is this:

SURRENDER ALL to Jesus and let Him be the completely Lord of your life and He will give you rest.

And the Lord said, do not worry for when you worry, you do not lay your whole life in the hands of the Lord and you are not allowing Jesus to be your Lord.

Come to Christ, SURRENDER all your concerns to Him and ask Him to give you rest and peace of heart and it will be done.

Pray this prayers, "Lord I surrender my whole life and all concerns to you, thank you Lord for carrying them and giving me rest and peace, Amen"

God bless.

P.S Bible says an evil generation will seek signs.

Upvote 0

BFine

Seed Planter
Jul 19, 2011
My room
✟11,098.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
What God requires of us... is to act justly, to love mercy and walk humbly with Him.

Your heavenly Father knows what you need, therefore seek His Kingdom and His Righteousness and He will provide for you.

We[Christians] have been bestowed with His unmerited favor...that is what Grace is, it's also a gift.
Remember--
For the gifts and the calling of God are irrevocable.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Relax.

God exists, and he is probably not angry at you. When he forgives you, he forgives you for good (Psalm 103:8-14). Also, while God has used signs occasionally, things like sounds and the pet coming into the room are typically not signs from God. The danger in anticipating that every last little thing could be a sign from God is that you will interpret God's will based on events that have absolutely nothing to do with God's will, and that you will be double-minded (James 1:5-8).

Upvote 0
E

elenore

Guilt is a major tool of the devil - and one he gets a lot of mileage out of. There is healthy guilt and then there is unhealthy guilt. You need to decide which is plaguing you. If it is healthy guilt, then something is still undone. If it is unhealthy guilt, then you have done everything you can but still haven't forgiven yourself.

Christianity is a journey. We start off crawling and at times we fall down. We make mistakes. God is more interested in your heart then a promise you couldn't keep. The devil likes to deceive us and unfortunately he's quite capable of giving 'signs' too. So yes God can (for example drawing lots was a common method of discovering Gods will in a situation or even a guilty party in the old testament.) The bible gives many examples of signs and wonders and covenants being sealed or heard by God. But trying to get a 'sign' every time you're unsure of something negates the process of walking by faith. Thus God can use them. But he's not going to do it all the time because then you don't have to really step out very much as a christian.

You can forgive yourself as a christian. That is allowed and almost a given that it will be necessary at times. We will fall down.

Next time don't make a covenant or promise to God unless you really feel he wants you to. (and do be careful in it.) Trying to 'please' him through promises is dangerous territory. Doing it to 'obey' him in an area he's leading you in because you know you're human and you know he wants a covenant because it's binding and you're willing to do those yards, is different.*
That's more serious though.

You don't need to make promises to please God. What pleases him most is effort and obedience the best you can. Your heart is what he desires, not your robotic efforts or affection. He wants you. And for him to have that you have to let him have the real you, not the one trying to please or impress him beyond your capacity, no matter how genuine your heart is in the matter.

Forgive yourself and get back up again. It's the only way.

*Those covenants or promises tend to be based more on 'I'm willing' rather then - 'can I do this for you'. They're serious because they're God instituted rather then from us.

Upvote 0

Jn1010

ChWriter
Nov 23, 2011
✟15,256.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It's tragic, really. I hear of so many people that say they are Christians, or suggest they are, that really don't have peace. I know this sounds like a cure all but there are no problems that we cannot face if we are close to God.

The best way to do that is to become a serious and consistent student of the Bible, mostly the New Testament. The words of that book changes all who study it.

To sum it all up, I would say to seek first the kingdom of God and all things in life will add up.

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Jessica, the Lord Jesus told us to judge things by their fruits. The torment you are experiencing is not something the Lord would put on you. We all make mistakes. But we are under a covenant of grace, not law and judgment, else no one would be able to stand.

I suggest you give the entire book of Galatians a good reading. Here's one verse that you might find meaningful:

For freedom Christ has set us free; stand firm therefore, and do not submit again to a yoke of slavery. -Gal 5.1

Jesus also said that He came to save men's lives, not to destroy them.

For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him. -John 3:17

This is why John tells us:

for whenever our heart condemns us, God is greater than our heart, and he knows everything. -1John 3:20

Think on these things, and allow the Lord Jesus to forgive you. He already has, actually, but you must let it in. Come to Him and release your burden. He wants you to be free.

About signs: yes, God does deal with us through signs, visions, dreams, and the like. But be cautious, because "not all spirits are from God". The Lord does not want us to be sign-centric, but Christ-centric. That's the only position of safety. From there, He can direct us, whether by the Holy Spirit, by our own rational prayerful thought, or by signs.

Upvote 0

The Bunny Rabbit

Jun 3, 2011
Some where in the U.S. state I live in.
✟17,923.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
It's tragic, really. I hear of so many people that say they are Christians, or suggest they are, that really don't have peace. I know this sounds like a cure all but there are no problems that we cannot face if we are close to God.

The best way to do that is to become a serious and consistent student of the Bible, mostly the New Testament. The words of that book changes all who study it.

To sum it all up, I would say to seek first the kingdom of God and all things in life will add up.

Hey, you're making it seem like I'm less of a Christian the way you said that. I am too a Christian. Just because I'm asking for help in the forums doesn't mean I'm any less of a Christian. Its just that I happened to need help with this, because I was feeling very confused.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

steve_bakr

Christian
Aug 3, 2011
✟22,533.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
JessicaChristianGirl said:
Okay so a couple of years ago I made some promises to God about something thats bothering me right now, and I ended up breaking those promises, but problems and things were happening that prevented me from being able to keep them and I just felt that I had to let them go. Its just that God said that he was going to give me something. So I made promises towards it, because I thought it was something that was going to last forever but it didn't and now I was unable to keep those promises. I asked for forgiveness for those promises that I've made, but I still can't help but feel terrible about them. I keep praying and praying and talking to God so many times about it, but I'm just not even sure what to think about it anymore or what I should do. I want to feel some relief about it, but the thoughts just always keeps coming back to haunt me. I feel like I'm really about to cry right now. I'm afraid I'm cursed or something. Its scaring me. I know it was a prayer that I made some promises on about something that I want in life, he answered a prayer that I thought that was going to complete that want, and now I'm afraid that I messed things up and that it won't ever be meant for me to get what I want anymore, since I broke some promises like that.

Also is it true that God gives you signs? I know this might sound silly to everyone, but like if you ask God is something going to happen and then you ask him to let you hear a sound or to make some kind of sign like that. Is it really true that he can show you things in those kind of ways when you ask for a sign like that? Like you ask him a question and he lets you hear a sound? I think its true that he can do this, because I think it worked a couple of times. So just because he made me hear sounds those other times and those things happened that I asked him about? Then does that mean that every time this will work? Because this is making me really nervous and I'm not even really sure to be able to know when he gives a sign anymore or if its meant to be a sign or not.

Please someone out there help me with all of this. I'm really about to have a break down right now. Just any helpful advice you can give me, post on my thread, or send me a message too if you would like. Anything is good. Although if you send me a message that would be better and then I can go more into detail about everything.

I have made promises to God and not kept them, so you are not alone.

Eventually we learn that the Christian life is not about what we want but what God wants. We need to surrender our wills to him so that he can do his will in us.

Also, our lives are bound to take unexpected turns, so don't despair. Just trust that what God wants for you is going to give you more satisfaction than what you want for yourself.

Keep trusting in God and things will work out for you.

Upvote 0