Saint Augustine, FL
✟22,012.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think I posted this type of thread more than once already over the past couple years. Everything has its season.

Now we're in a season where he's buried in studies. He doesn't want to be pestered. I've mentioned this several times already in other posts.
It's the core of our arguments right now. He doesn't want to be bothered.
He wants me to support him in being constantly busy with school and not pester him.
This has been a challenge for me. I get lonely. I'm more extrovert, he's more introvert. I also worry that we will grow apart if I go and do things and he never participates.

We bought a new chair and I set it up with a table lamp and books to read so I can keep him company in the evenings... but there's plenty of time between work and those last hours before bedtime and there's the weekends.
I'm finally at my "plan B".
I can't get him to do anything with me, fine.
I will just have to stay busy so I don't have time to be bored and therefore wish he'd do something with me.

I need a hobby, but not just any hobby. more of a "super hobby".
Opposing something that just wastes time (like video games or shopping)
I need it to have a meaning for me to want to stay hooked on it.
I need it to "need" me to participate, giving me drive.
And I need it to be cheap.
One I can pick back up on is blogging. I just lack focus.
But I wanted another one that gets me OUT of the house and keeps me active.
Maybe causes me to interact with people more.
Maybe it gives me a greater good to serve too.

Here are some of the ideas I'm mulling over in my head:

-Re-join my gym. $20 a month for unlimited access to all sorts of workouts. Get fit and toned. Eventually use it to get me primed up for something like crossfit.
It's a healthy choice for me.

-Invest in something like MaryKay or Jamberry Nail Art. It is an extra income, but on my own terms because I plan the events and decide when I have time to execute them. Con: It's technically a pyramid scheme and not only does it involve selling a product that normally no one would spend so much on, it involves dedicating alot of effort or it eats more money than it makes. you also have to know the right people.

-Learn a new language or study a subject. One suggestion was get Rosetta Stone and learn Spanish or French. Another suggestion was take a class for first-time home buyers so I will be aware when we do buy a house. The latter sounds boring.

-Volunteer. I just have to look for the right cause and the right schedule. many local causes meet up during the hours I'm at work.

What other ideas can you think of?
They have to fit the criteria of being after my 9-5 and on weekends, being affordable, being possible to slow down when my husband is free on a break, and actually being fun. I get stressed when I have to stand on my feet working a second job or I'm forced to spend alot of time on something that I don't find interesting. (who doesn't?)

Cast your vote.

bluegreysky

Can't adult today.
Sep 11, 2006
Saint Augustine, FL
✟22,012.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I had a bike, its with my parents now because we had nowhere to store it. I might try to clean a big closet this weekend to make room for me to go and get it soon.

In the meantime, since I won't see my parents for another month, and I don't know yet if I CAN make that much room for the bike...

Which of my poll options did you like best?

Upvote 0

Odetta

Thankful for grace
Jan 24, 2014
Georgia
✟32,318.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Those homeless pets shelters probably need people on the weekends to help with local adoption events.

Also wanted to add that it's good to have a plan B. It's not healthy to expect one's spouse to fulfill one's every need. If you need more human interaction than he does, it's Ok to find it in appropriate areas and ways elsewhere. As long as the interaction between you two is still healthy, of course. It took my husband and I a while to find that balance of being enough for each other, but recognizing it's Ok to not be everything. God is the only one who can be our everything.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟12,509.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I also worry that we will grow apart if I go and do things and he never participates.
On the contrary, it gives you something to talk about, makes you more interesting.

And remember that old adage: How can I miss you if you won't go away?

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟12,509.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Those homeless pets shelters probably need people on the weekends to help with local adoption events.
They might also need dog walkers and socializers. The shelter I got my dog from had regular volunteers who exercised the dogs and taught them social graces (like how to walk nice and take a treat).

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I think I posted this type of thread more than once already over the past couple years. Everything has its season.

Now we're in a season where he's buried in studies. He doesn't want to be pestered. I've mentioned this several times already in other posts.
It's the core of our arguments right now. He doesn't want to be bothered.
He wants me to support him in being constantly busy with school and not pester him.
This has been a challenge for me. I get lonely. I'm more extrovert, he's more introvert. I also worry that we will grow apart if I go and do things and he never participates.

We bought a new chair and I set it up with a table lamp and books to read so I can keep him company in the evenings... but there's plenty of time between work and those last hours before bedtime and there's the weekends.
I'm finally at my "plan B".
I can't get him to do anything with me, fine.
I will just have to stay busy so I don't have time to be bored and therefore wish he'd do something with me.

I need a hobby, but not just any hobby. more of a "super hobby".
Opposing something that just wastes time (like video games or shopping)
I need it to have a meaning for me to want to stay hooked on it.
I need it to "need" me to participate, giving me drive.
And I need it to be cheap.
One I can pick back up on is blogging. I just lack focus.
But I wanted another one that gets me OUT of the house and keeps me active.
Maybe causes me to interact with people more.
Maybe it gives me a greater good to serve too.

Here are some of the ideas I'm mulling over in my head:

-Re-join my gym. $20 a month for unlimited access to all sorts of workouts. Get fit and toned. Eventually use it to get me primed up for something like crossfit.
It's a healthy choice for me.

-Invest in something like MaryKay or Jamberry Nail Art. It is an extra income, but on my own terms because I plan the events and decide when I have time to execute them. Con: It's technically a pyramid scheme and not only does it involve selling a product that normally no one would spend so much on, it involves dedicating alot of effort or it eats more money than it makes. you also have to know the right people.

-Learn a new language or study a subject. One suggestion was get Rosetta Stone and learn Spanish or French. Another suggestion was take a class for first-time home buyers so I will be aware when we do buy a house. The latter sounds boring.

-Volunteer. I just have to look for the right cause and the right schedule. many local causes meet up during the hours I'm at work.

What other ideas can you think of?
They have to fit the criteria of being after my 9-5 and on weekends, being affordable, being possible to slow down when my husband is free on a break, and actually being fun. I get stressed when I have to stand on my feet working a second job or I'm forced to spend alot of time on something that I don't find interesting. (who doesn't?)

Cast your vote.

Hi there! You could combine language learning with Bible study if you get a Spanish or French Bible and read it. A familiar passage such as John chapter 1 is a good place to start; the language structure is clear and straightforward.

Also: you could figure some faith based tattoo design possibilities; it all takes time and effort and can be absorbing, and have witness potential also.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟12,509.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Also: you could figure some faith based tattoo design possibilities; it all takes time and effort and can be absorbing, and have witness potential also.
The stained glass style of tattoo is gorgeous and appropriate.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

DaisyDay

Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟12,509.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So what do you think of my suggestion about reading from the Spanish or French Bible? :)
Since she said she is interested in learning those languages, that might work for her.

Reactions: faroukfarouk
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Well I can't afford tattoos right now but I could do some drawing and reading sure
One of the advantages of using Scripture as a language learning tool is that some of the great passages will probably already be known. (The opening verses of John 1, John 3.16; Psalm 23, etc.) And so if the learner of say, Spanish or French reads those passages over and over, then gradually the already to some extent comprehensible phrases will be absorbed, in time. Also, it can be good to combine one's regular Bible reading in English with some verses in French and Spanish, or whatever.

Re. preparing one's next tattoo, there are always variations that can be made, and done over and over; and so when you eventually have the cash for a parlor trip, it's good to be able to present the artist with plenty of ideas on which s/he can work, and produce a blueprint and eventually stencil.

Blessings.

Upvote 0