Dallas
✟871,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I suppose this topic could be more appropraite for several other forums, but since I was inspired to start it due to a recent news article, I'm posting it here.

In the 16 May 2005 edition of the Dallas Morning News a local news article "CPS takes custody of newborn left at hospital," noted for the second time within a month (another was left at a {Dallas} suburban fire station*), an unwanted newborn, or one it's mother felt unable to care for was safely placed into a care system that would eventually lead to it's adoption via Texas' "Baby Moses Law."

* Infants can be dropped at hospitals, fire stations or adoption facilities.

I think this law is wonderful, and with a single ceveat, hope that every state either has, or will soon enact a version of it. The article states, "The day-old infant was turned over to the staff of Richardson Regional Medical Center about 1 a.m., said Richardson police Sgt. Kevin Perlich. 'We're not seeking the mother because the baby was left in good condition and at a proper facility,' the sergeant said."

"Baby Moses" laws are a wonderful compromise for pro-choice and pro-life advocates. Women who don't want, or don't think they can care for their child are presented with an opportunity to avoid the agonizing decision of chosing an abortion, or leaving the baby in a dumpster somewhere. And since the removal of a newborn can be traumatic for a woman who has chosen to give her baby up for adoption, she can do it at her own time and chosing.

My only ceveat is that I do wish these women could register anonymously (ex. male dropped at X location 19 May 05 by name) so that the child or adoptive parents could check a database to see if they have any congenital diseases when they get older.

I think these laws are a wonderful service to a woman's right to chose her own reproductive course of action - be it abstinance, contraception, abortion, safehouses, open adoption or raising the child. There's no reason a baby should ever be found in a prom restroom or a dumpster... ever.

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Going through pregnancy is no small ordeal. It is 9 months of often uncomfortable physical changes followed by a birthing process on par with the pain of a heart attack. This is why many women choose abortion. I wouldn't get an abortion myself (fortunately I don't have to worry about it), but I don't think I can completely deny woman the right to choose in light of the ordeal they would have to go through. I would definitely try to convince her to give birth to the child though.

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Vylo said:
Going through pregnancy is no small ordeal. It is 9 months of often uncomfortable physical changes followed by a birthing process on par with the pain of a heart attack. This is why many women choose abortion. I wouldn't get an abortion myself (fortunately I don't have to worry about it), but I don't think I can completely deny woman the right to choose in light of the ordeal they would have to go through. I would definitely try to convince her to give birth to the child though.

I'm sorry, and I probably should edit this back into the OP, but I'd rather this thread not get bogged down on abortion, but on Baby Moses laws. Point taken about the birthing process, but I want to concentrate on those who chose - for whatever reason (morals, ethics, concealment, fright, stigma, anguish) - to actually give birth and then decide on what happens to the child.

Upvote 0

praying

Snazzy Title Goes Here
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2004
New Jersey
✟86,040.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I agree about the law. NJ has an equivalent law. It only makes sense to allow the mother to to leave the child where it will receive proper care without reprecussions as opposed to abortion or dumping the child in a dumpster.

Reactions: USincognito
Upvote 0

Nathan Poe

Sep 21, 2002
United States
✟41,319.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
mhatten said:
I agree about the law. NJ has an equivalent law. It only makes sense to allow the mother to to leave the child where it will receive proper care without reprecussions as opposed to abortion or dumping the child in a dumpster.

IIRC, the New Jersey law allows a baby to be brought to any hospital or police station, no questions asked.

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
AirPo said:
I agree. Family history is so important. An adopted child has a right to know what his/her background is.

My suggestion would be the ability to provide an ex post facto registration of the deposited child. Women should be able to go to the office of their states child protective services (or whatever it's called in their state) and, as I half expressed in the OP, either provide contact information, to be revealed if the child needed genetic data, or an anonymous DNA sample so the child can see if there are any genetic time bombs in their blood. To keep the integrity of the system though, I think the mother should be allowed to remain anonymous if she so chose.

Upvote 0