CounselorForChrist

Senior Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
✟15,792.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You don't have to go church. Its nor a sin not to. But you may miss some good fellowship and ways to learn more. Of course for some like myself I don't go to church as often as I'd like to because I get alot of what I need online or on forums like this. Everyone has their own way of fulfilling that thirst we have.

Upvote 0
S

StormHawk

Hello. I have a problem. I just can't seem to enjoy going to church. I listen to lectures online, and i greatly enjoy that. can i worship God in my own unique way in order to be a Christian or do i have to go to church?

What you mean "Christian" may not be what the scriptures detail:
A Christian is someone who has received the Holy Spirit because “Christ” or “Messiah” means “anointed one” and the anointing is the Holy Spirit:-
“ . . . you are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.” (Romans 8v9)

What you call "church" may not be what Jesus calls His Church:
This began at Pentecost, and continues the same today:
“ . . . they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues*, as the Spirit gave them utterance. . . having received of the Father the promise of the Holy Ghost, he has shed forth this, which you now SEE and HEAR. . . For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to ALL that are afar off, even AS MANY AS the Lord our God shall call.” (Acts 2v4, 33, 39)
* an unlearned prayer langhuage - see 1 Cor. 14:2, 4

What you call worship may not be what God wants:
1 Corinthians 14 details what God "commands". The immature Corinthian church weren't doing that but they took correction.
Sadly most groups today won't! They think it doesn't matter.
The result is emotions & fleshy intellect are served, not people's spiritual needs.

I hope you find one of the few churches that are faithful to Jesus. I'm with these.

Upvote 0

LilLamb219

The Lamb is gone
Site Supporter
Jun 2, 2005
Visit site
✟83,596.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hello. I have a problem. I just can't seem to enjoy going to church. I listen to lectures online, and i greatly enjoy that. can i worship God in my own unique way in order to be a Christian or do i have to go to church?

So are you looking to be entertained in the church service or were you not being fed adequately on God's Word in the services you've attended?

Don't you crave the Lord's Supper at all?

There are so many strong elements of the church service that I wouldn't want to do without for very long...I think it would just make me miserable to stay away.

Upvote 0

Avniel

Doing my part each day by being the best me
Jun 11, 2010
Bronx NYC
✟39,141.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Another important dimension of church is praying and singing together with others. I find a certain beauty in hearing all of the voices mixing together and flowing up towards heaven.

Singing and praying with others is not the purpose of church nor is an important dimension of church.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ark100

The Lord is my Refuge
Mar 11, 2012
✟10,421.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private

Maybe you havent found the right church. It happens sometimes if you are not getting enough where you are. I was raised Anglican but it never really appealed to me. My siblings and myself always tried to avoid going to church when we were still living at home.

I broke into Apostolic/pentecostal after I left home because that is where God led me and that is where my passion for God is.
I love the energy, the fervour, the passion and the praises all unto God. I like to think of myself as a worshipper and I am passionate about things of God amongst the saints.

If I find im not getting fed spiritually enough where I am, I look elsewhere. But I love praise and worship mostly at church. Also prayers as well. Sermon is ok but my preferences are the first two I mentioned. Anything to get close to the Father in Spirit and truth is my passion

Upvote 0

Peripatetic

Restless mind, peaceful soul.
Feb 28, 2010
✟22,095.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Singing and praying with others is not the purpose of church nor is an important dimension of church.

I'd be interested to hear more about why you feel that way. I believe that it is an important dimension because Jesus modeled song and prayer in fellowship with His disciples, and it was an important component of the early church:

Here are a few references:

"I will tell of your name to my brothers;
in the midst of the congregation I will sing your praise." -Hebrews 2:12

"When they had sung a hymn, they went out to the Mount of Olives." -Matthew 26:30

In Ephesians 5, Paul instructed that church to "be filled with the Spirit, addressing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs."

"They devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching and to the fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer." - Acts 2:42

Upvote 0

gracegreciagracet

Jul 9, 2008
Visit site
✟281.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You must have a personal relationship with God other than just going to the church. Going to the church is necessary because keeping the Sabbath holy is one of God's commandments. You should spend 1 hour or more worshiping God and pray every day. You should also study the bible every day. You can pray in the spirit, in the tongue language, wherever you are.

Upvote 0

.Iona.

I love Jesus!
Dec 9, 2007
UK
✟41,546.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
UK-Greens
Like others have said - have you tried other churches? I have been through a handful and only now am beginning to feel comfortable with the church I am part of.

I don't believe you have to go t church, but from my experience I have felt like something was missing - perhaps fellowship, perhaps the act of just going and being at a church.

As long as you are acting on faith, you'll be okay.

Upvote 0