Heinrich

Jul 16, 2003
Western Cape
✟762.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I guess learning from God is the best in everything..
He's the only one garunteed to get it right the first time.

I guess the best answer would maybe be to say: Read 1 Cor 12-14 over and over and over and over and then pray and pray and pray.
God says in that he will give wisdom to those who ask!

Anyways the way I understand it is that paul speaks about alot of 'tongues'
different kinds of tongues.
He speaks about tongues of men and angels. 1 Cor 13:1

Speaking the tongues of men have the advantage that they understand you:
1 Cor 14:6-12
And praying in tongues (the kind you don't understand)
firstly you don't understand = 1 Cor 14:14
you speak "mysteries" 2 god = 1 cor 14:2
but the spirit is edified(self edification) = 1 Cor 14:4

I predict (prophecy :p ) that this is going to end in another intresting debate :D

-Heinrich

LegomasterJC

Sep 9, 2004
Tallahassee Florida
Visit site
✟8,621.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What are you asking? Multiple tongues as in different ways they are sounding? A friend of mine has spoken in tongues by himself and the started changing how they've sounded. Mine also. But he recognized that they sounded similar to other languages of man. He asked God why it was like that and what he got was just that it was practice. This is the same thing I got. When I first started there were maybe 3 sylables over and over. Now it's a flury of different sounds and it does change every once in a while. I do not see a difference between them though. It's all prayer language from the same Holy Spirit.

As far as multiple languages of man, I'm not led to learn any of them. I know a lot of friends who are led to learn other languages though. If God needs me to witness to someone of another language, He'll either give me an interpreter or let them hear my tongue in their own language.

God gives you the desires of your heart when you remain in Him. Go ahead and ask God for multiple languages and Tongues in the Spirit. There's no disadvantage and anything you recieve from the Spirit is gain.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟836,288.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Because tongues are directed toward God, the actual languages spoken are of lesser importance than the act of faith and trust in the Holy Spirit to allow Him to flow through you in tongues to God. You do the speaking, but the inspiration is of the Spirit. It doesn't matter whether you are speaking earthly or heavenly languages, because it is God who needs to understand them.

The gift of tongues that is used in the church meeting is the one that is interpreted by another person who is taking a step of faith to say in English what the Holy Spirit gives him in reponse to the tongues message.

Paul specifies a ministry in tongues called 'diverse tongues'. These are given to a person who has prayer ministry. He is able to speak in tongues for any type of prayer: supplication, spiritual warfare, intercession, worship. The prayer language can change as he or she moves from one prayer mode to another.

Praying in tongues for long periods of time deals with your personal weaknesses, exposes things in your own life that God needs to deal with, and gives you greater revelation as you study God's word. Also, the Holy Spirit is able to direct your prayers to any situation He thinks is important to pray for, and you will be praying the most appropriate prayer for the situation.

Upvote 0

Angieh

Oct 18, 2004
✟15,849.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Just listened to a sermon on speaking in tongues... Can't remember the pastor but he said that tongues should be spoken in the language of those around for undrestanding... That "we" should me able to understand the actual language... Growing up my understanding was as long as there was another person there to intrepet the speaking it was of God... I wonder why only Assembly of God churches speak in tongues?? Believe me, I'm not judging anyone or church... I'm also involved in the Assembly of God church and my daughter attends school there as welll... I've too always tried to figure this out.... Oh well, some things I guess we will never really know.....

Upvote 0

lonnienord

Keep Praying!!
Jan 13, 2005
Lorain, Ohio about 30 miles west of Cleveland on L
Visit site
✟39,601.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Holly3278 said:
Well you definitely shouldn't envy them. One of the Ten Commandments addresses that.
:scratch: do not envy spiritual gifts?:scratch: i don't want to take away gifts my brother has but am i not allowed to ask GOD for similar gifts?:scratch:

Upvote 0

CaptainMercy

In the valley He restores my soul!
Sep 30, 2005
✟29,563.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Oscarr said:
Because tongues are directed toward God, the actual languages spoken are of lesser importance than the act of faith and trust in the Holy Spirit to allow Him to flow through you in tongues to God. You do the speaking, but the inspiration is of the Spirit. It doesn't matter whether you are speaking earthly or heavenly languages, because it is God who needs to understand them.

The gift of tongues that is used in the church meeting is the one that is interpreted by another person who is taking a step of faith to say in English what the Holy Spirit gives him in reponse to the tongues message.

Paul specifies a ministry in tongues called 'diverse tongues'. These are given to a person who has prayer ministry. He is able to speak in tongues for any type of prayer: supplication, spiritual warfare, intercession, worship. The prayer language can change as he or she moves from one prayer mode to another.

Praying in tongues for long periods of time deals with your personal weaknesses, exposes things in your own life that God needs to deal with, and gives you greater revelation as you study God's word. Also, the Holy Spirit is able to direct your prayers to any situation He thinks is important to pray for, and you will be praying the most appropriate prayer for the situation.

I agree with this explaination and don't believe it could have been better explained! Keep studying and praying and God will reveal all you need to know on this subject or will lead you to a deeper understanding of the Spirit's work in your life. The way to gain more knowledge of His way is to draw closer to Him. Having said that, I recall Him sayingf that when we draw near Him, He will draw near us!! Hallelujah!:clap: :cool:

Upvote 0

NacDan

Theology never comforted anyone in pain.
Oct 1, 2004
Port Neches, Texas
Visit site
✟11,391.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
iktca said:
My question is about multiple non-local languages. The Bible is silent in this area. Am I to learn directly from the Lord about this?

Yes.
iktca said:
Or can someone teach me?

Angelic languages, no. Human languages, yes. You can pick up tapes, books, and computer programs to learn Spanish, French, Chinese, Russian, or just about any other "non-local language" you can think of.

iktca said:
I just want to know if I should envy/seek them.
Rupert

Envy, no. Seek them, sure. Paul also wrote that tongues were the LEAST of the gifts. I'm a "tongue talker", but I didn't seek it, it just started one day while I was washing dishes! Personally, I can't find any scripture that supports the doctrine that "tongues" is required for salvation.

If you're going to seek a gift, you should seek to prophecy instead.

Allow God to bless you today!
Danny

Upvote 0