✟15,360.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
My two cents for what it is worth.

Yes Pentecostals tend to be highly experiental, but everywhere I've gone I have tried to combat that with teaching that is grounded in the word, and not only that I have had units/sunday school classes dedicated to how to read and study the bible. To that end some have started learning on their own. This is good.

However, I have been in baptist churches too where they know a lot about the bible and have less of the experiential. I enjoy the preaching there get a lot of good meat to chew on. In those I have tried to liven things up and "let my hair down" in the worship service and see if we can't get something sparked.

I heard an old baptist minister say one time "If we could get the education of the baptists, the commitment of the catholics (once a catholic always a catholic), the evangelism effort of the mormons (I know they are a cult but boy do they send out witnessers), and the experience of a Holy Roller (his term for pentecostals) you would have one formidable Christian on your hands."

Upvote 0

hopeinGod

A voice crying in the wilderness
Jul 26, 2004
Florida
Visit site
✟2,700.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
To describe this condition you see, stormdancer, we used to say, "All Spirit and no Word, you blow up; all Word and no Spirit, you puff up; but having both Spirit and Word, you grow up."

There is a marked difference in the level of Bible knowledge found among the Spirit-filled and the non-Spirit filled. What Charismatics are deeply into today makes their lack of knowledge even more potentially damaging, as their dedication to learning leans today toward what they term "revelation knowledge" and less toward theology. To them, theology is the dead letter, while frontline revelations position them in the present move of God, in whatever form it takes.

At one time, it was merely speaking and singing in tongues, then it was the movement of the gifts, then laughing and barking, and now it is what is termed "impartation" that describes the present movement of God. Being part of the Spirit-filled community is all about present movements and little about the building of a solid biblical foundation taught in a systematic way that causes believers to be deeply rooted in the Scriptures. "Teachers" lean on pet doctrines rather than an overall study of the principles found throughout the Bible.

Jesus said, "You do err not knowing the Scriptures nor the power of God." In this statement, we see the balance between the Word and Spirit ("and ye shall receive power...") Allowing the two to work together is imperative for real inward and outward growth.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AmbryRye

Christian with Asperger's Syndrome
Jun 2, 2012
Washington, D.C.
✟15,295.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you don't have the knowledge of the scripture, how can you Know God's Voice? (the Holy Spirit)

In our church, we strive to live as close to the Bible as possible. To directly walk in God's Word.

That requires knowledge and from that comes the experience.

Upvote 0
May 15, 2012
✟15,226.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Engaged
I asked a Pentecostal pastor one time what he thought about the Pre-adamite dispensation teaching and his response "I don't know about all that stuff. I'm just bread and butter."

The man is a man who Hammers the spirit, the spirit, the spirit on and on and on. But no knowledge. He doesn't have Sunday school. He has no teaching backbone. But he is one of the best preachers I know.

Other than the man I just mention I would say all the other Pentecostal pastor I know are very sound in the word. Which the cogergation of Pentecostal churches is another story. I see alot of ignorance. It may be like that in other denominations. Honestly don't know, as iv only been around pentecost

Upvote 0

Michaelismyname

Jun 11, 2012
✟1,230.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
""Spirit-filled churches- very open to Holy Spirit, lacking in biblical knowledge""

I have found this to be the case in many many denominations not just Pentecostalism.or spirit filled churches.
modern western Christianity is lazy on this count and led astray easily due to it .
I once heard that in the Chinese house churches they wont let you any where near ministry-or missions unless you have memorized the book of John as a minimum .
I am a spirit filed believer- so i accept what you are saying fully . its not just an assumption - it is a correct one . raise the issue and in love challenge all around you to rectify the matter- perhaps the very truth ,that it disturbs you, is the Lord prodding you toward encouraging others to read his word and know it .:) Hey God bless you !

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Michaelismyname

Jun 11, 2012
✟1,230.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I asked a Pentecostal pastor one time what he thought about the Pre-adamite dispensation teaching and his response "I don't know about all that stuff. I'm just bread and butter."

sorry ,but it would not bother me in the least if a pastor knew little of that - its a contentious issue surrounded by much speculation and conjecture and is the type of topic that can cause much division rather then unity and has little to do with the Gospel or living life in obedience to God .I think a pastor would be better equipped to his calling if he DOESN'T delve into such things . perhaps you should have asked a "teacher" its a different ministry and gifting :)

Upvote 0

Michaelismyname

Jun 11, 2012
✟1,230.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
... lean on pet doctrines rather than an overall study of the principles found throughout the Bible.

Jesus said, "You do err not knowing the Scriptures nor the power of God." In this statement, we see the balance between the Word and Spirit ("and ye shall receive power...") Allowing the two to work together is imperative for real inward and outward growth.[/QUOTE]

amen to that ( all of it ) i like to say - what the entire bible sates on any given topic should be the foundation of the doctrine thereof and the doctrine thereof should be reveled by the Holy Spirit -

ok its just a different way of saying what you said ;) but i enjoyed what you said :D

Upvote 0

Nikos7

Nov 25, 2007
✟10,950.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I believe we need an understanding of the Word of God. Too many in our churches know little of the Word. In many churches a preacher could preach false doctrine and no one would even know it. Having said that, we must have a balance. The word "balance" is not in a lot of pentecostals vocabulary. Yet it is absolutely necessary. On one hand you can know the Bible thoroughly yet if you don't experience it, it is just a dry dusty tome. On the other hand, you can shout all day and run the aisles but if you have no foundation then you are weak and you only have emotion which the Devil can play havoc with your life. You will be in and out of the church and at risk of losing out with God.
So balance is the key and the result will be stability and strong christian living.

Upvote 0

Laura Phillips

Laura Phillips
Mar 5, 2012
Heaven
✟8,052.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Green
You prolly know bible stories!

Im an ex catholic magdalene spawn.......

it ALLLLL useful, dude!

Quote:Now for the crazy assumption I came to in my head:

Spirit-filled churches- very open to Holy Spirit, lacking in biblical knowledge

More "conservative" -sigh- churches (you know what i mean) - Not as open to spiritual gifts (at all) but alot of biblical knowledge.

Free to discuss, enlighten me on my possibly bad assumption.[/quote]

Last edited:
Upvote 0

luvntiedye

Mar 26, 2012
✟7,615.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
My daughter went to a "Bible church" school for the past 1 1/2 years. I think they are very similar to the Baptists. They are passionate about the Word, I'll give them that-- which I respect and agree with! In my own church I see a lot of people who don't *seem* concerned enough about scripture, and a lot who are. I guess you will have a mix in many Charismatic churches. The home study group I'm in (church-sponsored) is made up of folks who are very hungry for the Lord's Words, although there is one fellow who didn't start out that way. He's since been converted , lol.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Michaelismyname

Jun 11, 2012
✟1,230.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
My daughter went to a "Bible church" school for the past 1 1/2 years. I think they are very similar to the Baptists. They are passionate about the Word, I'll give them that-- which I respect and agree with! In my own church I see a lot of people who don't *seem* concerned enough about scripture, and a lot who are. I guess you will have a mix in many Charismatic churches. The home study group I'm in (church-sponsored) is made up of folks who are very hungry for the Lord's Words, although there is one fellow who didn't start out that way. He's since been converted , lol.

Hunger is important and is evidence of a persons "true" desire to know God .
when you here of all the odd going on at meetings these days - a Hunger to know and comprehend the word of God is a sure sign your on the right track methinks.
however on the other hand - to know the written word so well that it is just memory verses and a person no longer "listens" to what the words are saying is as detrimental to ones faith as is not reading the word at all .

Upvote 0

dengirl

Jun 28, 2012
✟15,236.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
AllForHisGlory said:
I am going to....though I am possibly very wrong.:)

Alright, so in a earlier thread some of you may know I came from a baptist background, lately I have been completely rediscovering the Holy Spirit. I have been to several spirit-filled pentecostal/charismatic churches, and I found one and got my mom and sisters to go and we all love it. I have made an assumption, so bear with me :/
In general, I have found out alot of the people in charismatic/pentecostal churches don't have alot of biblical knowledge, (don't take offense to this, maybe its just me my location or the churches I have encountered) now most of my knowledge of the bible is the after-effect of a baptist background. I swear they drill this into your head since they aren't free like "the hand-raisin church down the street". Meaning, I find that alot of the people don't know about stories and such in the bible. Do you find that too? Or is it just me?
Now for the crazy assumption I came to in my head:

Spirit-filled churches- very open to Holy Spirit, lacking in biblical knowledge

More "conservative" -sigh- churches (you know what i mean) - Not as open to spiritual gifts (at all) but alot of biblical knowledge.

Free to discuss, enlighten me on my possibly bad assumption.

I think you can sometimes get fed a lot more of knowledge in a baptist church. They have more word less singing. Not saying other churches do not feed you but I will say you do walk out fed with knowledge. I love both churches. :)

Upvote 0

Nikos7

Nov 25, 2007
✟10,950.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I like the freedom in the pentecostal churches. Freedom to think. The problem with the Baptist churches is you talk to one about the Bible and you have talked to all. They seem to think alike. They have knowledge but they have Baptist knowledge. If you think differently from the Baptist knowledge you will soon feel unwelcome or you will find yourself in a debate. You won't last long in their churches. If you don't buy into their OSAS views they will shut the door of fellowship on you.
In pentecostal churches there are all kinds of beliefs. If you don't believe like them you are still welcome to come to their churches.

Upvote 0

Jethro99

Mar 7, 2012
✟7,692.00
Faith
Pentecostal
I like the freedom in the pentecostal churches. Freedom to think. The problem with the Baptist churches is you talk to one about the Bible and you have talked to all. They seem to think alike. They have knowledge but they have Baptist knowledge. If you think differently from the Baptist knowledge you will soon feel unwelcome or you will find yourself in a debate. You won't last long in their churches. If you don't buy into their OSAS views they will shut the door of fellowship on you.
In pentecostal churches there are all kinds of beliefs. If you don't believe like them you are still welcome to come to their churches.

Personally, I spent over a decade in a Pentecostal church. All I can tell you is that your church sounds vastly different from the one I was in. Almost the exact opposite. Thinking or being any different at all on almost anything was really frowned upon and was the quickest way to get labeled a backslider or troublemaker and cut off from almost all fellowship.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Nikos7

Nov 25, 2007
✟10,950.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I am thinking of the mainline pentecostals, such as AoG and foursquare et. You are right that there are legalistic churches among the pentecostals. Oneness churches are legalistic and demanding that you follow their prescribed viewpoint. There are others but most of the mainline pentecostals are not legalistic. I wouldn't last 2 seconds in one of those legalistic churches.

Upvote 0

Michaelismyname

Jun 11, 2012
✟1,230.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Personally, I spent over a decade in a Pentecostal church. All I can tell you is that your church sounds vastly different from the one I was in. Almost the exact opposite. Thinking or being any different at all on almost anything was really frowned upon and was the quickest way to get labeled a backslider or troublemaker and cut off from almost all fellowship.

that may have little to do with the denomination and a lot to do with the present leadership at that time - but the leadership too is being transformed ..praise God .

I think one reason that pentecostal churches may seem less legalistic is because they do, at the least, have a trust in the power of the Holy Spirit to change a person and there fore do not see that person only in thier present state - but in faith, see them as God intends them to be .
sadly this is also why you may find a lot of ..err shall we call them , off center types , in penticostal circles .
legalism , i think , comes about When there is a lack of acknowledgement of the Power of the Holy Spirit and a form of "lawful type control" is brought in to shore up the shortfall in change of heart.to have a form of godliness but deny the POWER there of - is a dangerous thing .
Personaly I am not an AOG-ite - I have experienced as much wrongness there as in ANY congregation . However, one thing I do enjoy in penticostal circles is the willingness to See ones own sin and to repent of it rather then continue in status Quo because "thats the way its done" .

Upvote 0

luvntiedye

Mar 26, 2012
✟7,615.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
We are all instructed as Christians to "work out our own salvation with fear and trembling". In other words, it is the job of each individual to walk out what they have learned of the Lord and His Word with great respect for Him, as well as a healthy understanding of the gravity of the situation.

Upvote 0

Michaelismyname

Jun 11, 2012
✟1,230.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
We are all instructed as Christians to "work out our own salvation with fear and trembling". In other words, it is the job of each individual to walk out what they have learned of the Lord and His Word with great respect for Him, as well as a healthy understanding of the gravity of the situation.

I agree :D

Upvote 0