• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

jesus_freak_for_life

My God Can Beat Yours
Jun 24, 2003
✟815.00
Faith
Protestant
i can't believe christians can be so sexist.
it makes me want to slit my fudging wrists when people say that since im inb a female body (which by the way, God put me here), i can't do certain things.
i'd prefer only those who won't be mean to reply.. i really can't take this anymore.

Reactions: wonder111

wonder111

Love is the message!
Jul 24, 2003
Visit site
✟9,948.00
Faith
Christian
jesus_freak_for_life said:
it makes me want to slit my fudging wrists when people say that since im inb a female body (which by the way, God put me here), i can't do certain things.
i'd prefer only those who won't be mean to reply.. i really can't take this anymore.

hey believe me I hear you, lucky my minister is a feminist (not a feminazi like some would like to believe)

actually Jesus was also a feminist, read this article
http://www.jesus-institute.org/life-of-jesus-modern/jesus-feminist.shtml

have you seen the movie mona lisa smile? you will probably find it interesting and see why some of the stereotypes came to be. Also, women weren't considered people until the late 1920's so I'd say there was reason for a movement

Upvote 0

desi

Aug 20, 2003
La Vista
✟4,540.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Women can do most things men can and some we can't. It's up to us to read God's word and apply it to our lives. While I don't know the circumstances you find yourself in, I would advise you to prove them wrong instead of getting mad at yourself when people are sexist towards you.

Upvote 0

jesus_freak_for_life

My God Can Beat Yours
Jun 24, 2003
✟815.00
Faith
Protestant
Yeh, but everyone sees it like that. And I know "who cares what others think?" but it's not about NOT caring what others think, cause personally, I couldn't give a rip about what the person next to me is thinking. But it hurts. I get no support from anyone, and I'm so sick and tired of chauvinistic fundamentlists failing to take things in context. I know my God, and personally, I'd rather deal with athiests than those types. It makes me so angry!

Upvote 0

Risen Tree

previously Rising Tree
Nov 20, 2002
Georgia
✟18,382.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
The timing of this thread is ironic--I just started this thread about the subject.

What exactly has been said to you? Has it primarily been the whole shpiel about Paul's messages that a woman is supposed to be silent around men and should not teach them? Has it been comments that you need to act more submissive and feminine? (oh no! The horrors! A woman...thinking! For herself! And possibly...even for others! :eek: :eek: :eek: :rolleyes: ) Have they been one-liners that you need to "get back in the kitchen, woman"? Or has it been all of the above?

Upvote 0

Follower of Christ

Literal 6 Day Creationist<br />''An Evening and a
Mar 12, 2003
✟7,754.00
Faith
Christian

Honestly, I think most of any restrictions you are given are mens doctrine and not biblical.

Heres what I would do.
Make a decision about whatever it is you want.
Try to find someone to help you see if its against the PLAIN scriptures and not their funky little twist on things.

Id be willing to bet that you find that 99% of the things tht folks are telling you that you CANT do arent even covered PLAINLY in the NT.

Upvote 0

Megan

Dec 30, 2003
Sweden
✟15,670.00
Faith
Protestant

JFFL;

Of course women can do everything they want and wish for (well with physical limitations perhaps). I am actually wondering what things you have been told you cannot do...?

I've been lucký to be brought up with parents giving us children (2 daughters) the opportunities to develope as individuals. Not giving us certain roles because of gender. My sister and I are totally different and I must say that I played more with boys and "boys-toys" than dolls. But still I am all woman!!

And then I also am a member of a church where men and women has equal opportunities. For the moment our 2 pastors are women!

I understand it must be difficult to hear that you cannot do/say/be things because you are of the female gender. ´But search for God's will with your life and it cannot go wrong!!

Prayers,
Megan

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Jan 20, 2004
Bucks
✟15,120.00
Faith
Christian
i've been told that since i'm female it'd be wrong for me to enter into the ministry.

and the whole marriage thing makes me uncomfortable, too..

I know exactly how you feel bout women in ministry. I get it soooo much. The last time I preached was last feb (of so for 5 of those months I couldn't cos my voice was broken but....) Since then I've been offeren one service.

The whole Paul thing of women should learn in quiet submission thing is Pual equalising things. In other words, men were learning in quiet submission so why shouldn't women?

What's with the marriage thing?

Sorry about the really bad typing!!

Upvote 0

Risen Tree

previously Rising Tree
Nov 20, 2002
Georgia
✟18,382.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
LittlePoohBear said:
I know exactly how you feel bout women in ministry. I get it soooo much. The last time I preached was last feb (of so for 5 of those months I couldn't cos my voice was broken but....) Since then I've been offeren one service.

The whole Paul thing of women should learn in quiet submission thing is Pual equalising things. In other words, men were learning in quiet submission so why shouldn't women?

What's with the marriage thing?

Sorry about the really bad typing!!
AFAIK, Paul had two reasons for instructing women not to teach men. First, women and men held classes in different part of the houses, so any communication between the sexes would have been in the form of shouting across the house, distracting everyone. Second, women of those days were not as educated as the men, and it was the men who were better suited in the higher leadership roles.

In other words, that passage means about as much to us as a random passage from Leviticus.

Upvote 0

jesus_freak_for_life

My God Can Beat Yours
Jun 24, 2003
✟815.00
Faith
Protestant
Yeh, but lots of people take it to mean more than it is. And it hurts. And I get mad at God for even LETTING A VERSE like that in His WORD! :( It's put women in spiritual bondage.

..As does the marriage role thing. I've heard so many explanations.. it still gets under my skin.. something feels wrong about it, and there IS something wrong with it. Paul's opinions aren't necessarily God's. :(

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Psyber freek

Willfully Stupid
Feb 2, 2003
Minnesota
Visit site
✟369.00
Faith
Christian
yeh but cheese.. you're a guy.. you dont have to "submit" :rolleyes:
But we still have to 'love our wives with the same love Christ showed for the church'.That seems pretty close to submitting.

Anyway, the church is wrong when they skew man to be 'better' than woman. They confuse the terms 'better' with 'different'.

Upvote 0