I hate the world

ChirpChirp

Aug 10, 2012
✟15,400.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
This is written in anger, so it's probably not the best idea, but I need some advice.

I've just come home from the Good Friday Lamentation, opened up my facebook page and find a whole load of my fellow medical student classmates have commented on a post I made on a prolife page. Needless to say, they were ridiculing my post. At least when I don't agree with someone, I try to remain polite and show respect. The comments went along the lines of "This is insane, I can't believe anyone would put someone through the complete trauma of a rape-instigated pregnancy because you personally have a moral objection to terminating a ball of cells." This is not the first time something like this has happened, not the worst either. It just makes me so angry!! I try to stay calm and accept different people's opinions, but my patience is getting more and more stretched. I study in an environment where "doctors should leave their personal beliefs at the door". I don't even care if they ignore me for the rest of the degree, I just hate the attitudes. I told my boyfriend what happened and his reply was that " you're gonna have to accept that different people have different opinions" which made me even angrier because I wanted him to stick up for me. Sometimes I really wonder what God is thinking looking down at the world! I guess the only consolation is that abortion isn't actually legal here, so they can insult me all they want.

But seriously, it's getting to the point where I just go around inwardly angry most of the time! And if your answers are to just avoid these people, good luck with that because I am seriously in the minority!! :doh:

edit: And then I start hating myself for all the wrong things I do because it feels like I'm just joining them in their hate against God. After a while I just burn myself out and go back to normal until something happens again and the whole cycle starts once more.

Last edited:
Reactions: seashale76

nestoj

Feb 14, 2007
Niš
✟11,731.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
You're going to have to find a way to deal with unfair and unequal treatment. I mean, sure, it's expected of you to respect the opinion of others but once you express a christian opinion (especially the one controversial such as the pro-life stance) - oh boy! The rules of respect suddenly change, don't they? Your opinion is not "in", is not "mainstream", and as such it can be trampled upon, made fun of, spitted upon and generally is worth nothing. I know that's the way things are and that you're hurt by them being the way they are...but it's not going to get any better, you know. That's why you have to find a way not to be hurt by it, or you're in for a LOT of pain. You have to protect and preserve yourself. That, and don't let those who make fun of you have the pleasure of seeing you hurt. God forgive me, I think there's lot of them who actually enjoy seeing a christian hurting.

Reactions: ma2000
Upvote 0

ChirpChirp

Aug 10, 2012
✟15,400.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
You're going to have to find a way to deal with unfair and unequal treatment. I mean, sure, it's expected of you to respect the opinion of others but once you express a christian opinion (especially the one controversial such as the pro-life stance) - oh boy! The rules of respect suddenly change, don't they? Your opinion is not "in", is not "mainstream", and as such it can be trampled upon, made fun of, spitted upon and generally is worth nothing. I know that's the way things are and that you're hurt by them being the way they are...but it's not going to get any better, you know. That's why you have to find a way not to be hurt by it, or you're in for a LOT of pain. You have to protect and preserve yourself. That, and don't let those who make fun of you have the pleasure of seeing you hurt. God forgive me, I think there's lot of them who actually enjoy seeing a christian hurting.

Hi, you're completely right! By saying "everyone has to leave their beliefs at the door" what they're really saying is "you can leave YOUR beliefs while we go on and follow ours", because it is just impossible to adhere to something without having an opinion. I'm in a lot of pain already, I'm torn between bursting into tears, I've just argued with my boyfriend and I've devoured a bag of pretzel sticks! And you can be pretty sure that they enjoy hurting those "religious freaks". Ugh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Upvote 0

Aibrean

Honest. Maybe too Honest.
Mar 18, 2007
Xenia, Ohio
Visit site
✟23,379.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I post anti-abortion stuff on my wall all the time and I told my friends that if they don't like it they can unfriendly me. I get more bashing for being anti-homosexual marriage.

Personally I have never experienced persecution of this level before.

Upvote 0

ChirpChirp

Aug 10, 2012
✟15,400.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
I get more bashing for being anti-homosexual marriage.

I can't really post things about that due to the career I'm going into. Tbh, it doesn't annoy me as much as abortion, because after all they have free will to do what they want, but abortion is getting rid of an innocent life.

Upvote 0

MKJ

Contributor
Jul 6, 2009
East
✟23,894.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
I think that posting very politically or otherwise controversial or even upsetting things on Facebook is generally a mistake.

Those things usually should be discussed in person or privately in a setting where you can speak to each individual where he or she is at.

Upvote 0

Aibrean

Honest. Maybe too Honest.
Mar 18, 2007
Xenia, Ohio
Visit site
✟23,379.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
MKJ said:
I think that posting very politically or otherwise controversial or even upsetting things on Facebook is generally a mistake.

Those things usually should be discussed in person or privately in a setting where you can speak to each individual where he or she is at.

I don't post all publicly and some are explaining conservative views. Other posts are actually commenting on others posts.

Upvote 0

Protoevangel

Smash the Patriarchy!
Feb 6, 2004
Eugene, OR
✟33,297.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
I feel your pain ChirpChirp. I get it all the time too.

Speaking the truth is never a mistake, no matter the forum.

Come by and say hi! http://www.facebook.com/dmhead

"Blessed are you when they revile and persecute you, and say all kinds of evil against you falsely for My sake. Rejoice and be exceedingly glad, for great is your reward in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you."
- Jesus (Matthew 5:11-12​

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,835.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Chalk this up as yet another reason why I don't do facebook anymore.

I got rid of my facebook page around two years ago now due to their privacy stance. IIRC, Zuckerburg and his sister made a bunch of statements at Bilderburg and at other times saying that they didn't believe in protecting the privacy of people. Then, there was a story that came out about a man in Egypt who criticized Islam on his facebook page. Facebook gave the Egyptian government his private information when asked to do so. He was sentenced to three years of hard labor. I deleted my page right then and there, because it is a matter of conscience to me. I will not support people who don't only not support privacy, but are complicit in prosecuting someone for freely expressing their views in the only forum they are able to do so (because I can't fathom anyone being able to openly criticize Islam in a Muslim country).

I recall getting into a theological 'discussion' with an anti-Christian on facebook, and I didn't even know the guy. It got me hot under the collar, and it also made me rethink what I was even doing there. It wasn't worth it to get into an argument with a random friend of a friend.

Yeah, it's easier to keep in touch with people, but I'm holding out. I'm the most stubborn person I know, so I'll just have to deal with not getting e-invites to people's events and not knowing all the latest among my group of friends.

Upvote 0

Orthosdoxa

Happy wife and mommy
Feb 11, 2003
nowhere
✟24,016.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, don't stress over what a big ball of cells thinks about you. ;)

Bah ha! Funny. I've missed you. Hope you and wife and kiddo are all doing well.

I once talked to a very wise and holy monk about something of a similar ilk, feeling very upset. He told me, "We are all dust. You are dust, they are dust." Well, and there was more, but I can't remember it verbatim. :p But that always stuck with me. From dust we all came, and to dust we shall all eventually return. There is no one who stands above another in the eyes of God - we are all, in essence, the same. So there's no reason to be troubled about what these balls of cells or clumps of dust think of you. :cool:

I think I'd be slightly annoyed - more than slightly - if my husband reacted how your boyfriend did. Not one ounce of sympathy, just a "you're wrong, suck it up" attitude. And sometimes I *am* wrong, and my husband loves me enough to tell me the truth - but with much more grace and kindness than your boyfriend's answer. Is he always this unsupportive?

Upvote 0

Orthosdoxa

Happy wife and mommy
Feb 11, 2003
nowhere
✟24,016.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Chalk this up as yet another reason why I don't do facebook anymore.

I got rid of my facebook page around two years ago now due to their privacy stance. IIRC, Zuckerburg and his sister made a bunch of statements at Bilderburg and at other times saying that they didn't believe in protecting the privacy of people. Then, there was a story that came out about a man in Egypt who criticized Islam on his facebook page. Facebook gave the Egyptian government his private information when asked to do so. He was sentenced to three years of hard labor. I deleted my page right then and there, because it is a matter of conscience to me. I will not support people who don't only not support privacy, but are complicit in prosecuting someone for freely expressing their views in the only forum they are able to do so (because I can't fathom anyone being able to openly criticize Islam in a Muslim country).

I recall getting into a theological 'discussion' with an anti-Christian on facebook, and I didn't even know the guy. It got me hot under the collar, and it also made me rethink what I was even doing there. It wasn't worth it to get into an argument with a random friend of a friend.

Yeah, it's easier to keep in touch with people, but I'm holding out. I'm the most stubborn person I know, so I'll just have to deal with not getting e-invites to people's events and not knowing all the latest among my group of friends.

Same. I deleted it spring 2010 because I think Zuckerberg is a weasel. He has NO interest in protecting anyone's privacy, just padding his pocketbook.

Upvote 0

rusmeister

A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian
Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟435,770.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It ( was) Great and Holy Friday.
Right from the morning I had a huge sense of going "whither I would not go" and doing "what I druther not do".
On the edge of physical breakdown; desperately need a vacation.
I'm in my robe and pj's at 10am on a vacation day (wow!) and thinking how I'm going to get dressed and take our car to the service station (it has a bad squealing under the hood) and my daughter suddenly announces that she needs a ride right now to her home ec/culinary teacher's house (all the girls are going) , my wife says she needs some stuff for Pascha and her ailing mother, and I wind up running around for an hour and a half in that car with the squealing before I can even go to the SS, then I ultimately have to drive to a nearby city to physically order and pay for the part I need as it doesn't exist in my town, and no one can get it until next week. (I forgot my medication, which didn't help either.)
My wife, at the same time, was left at home with all the kids, the cooking and other demands, both domestic and external (what she's been asked to do in our Orthodox community), and voices and pressures are rising, and I just couldn't escape the feeling of spiritual attack. I suck at keeping prayer rules (even after ten years) but I'm pretty good at going to prayer when I feel that now, and even though I wanted sone stress-reducing music on my enforced driving, I stuck to Hopko.

All that is to say, sounds like you were under spiritual attack. You went to an Orthodox Vespers on Great and Holy (which is cooler than merely Good) Friday. Coincidence? The world is going to pile it on. If not on FB, then by more demonic and direct temptation to swear, to release anger and hate into thecworld. When you recognize that that is a sign you are on the right track, you might be able to rejoice in it.

Our Lord was mocked, and we recall the extent of it on this day. Is the servant better than his Master?

Reactions: seashale76
Upvote 0

Cappadocious

Sep 29, 2012
✟30,661.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Personally I have never experienced persecution of this level before.
Let us give thanks for that.

ignatius-of-antioch-martyrdom.jpg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟136,958.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I'm in the most intensive language course in the world, learning one of the hardest languages for native English speakers (especially for Americans), in the part of the US that puts the Left in Left Coast, surrounded by people of my generation 90% of whom have zero thoughts on religion other than, "its bad because it tells people what to do".

Yeah, spiritual warfare comes in many forms, but always sucks :swoon:

Thankfully, we recover and move on :cool:

Upvote 0

ChirpChirp

Aug 10, 2012
✟15,400.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
I think I'd be slightly annoyed - more than slightly - if my husband reacted how your boyfriend did. Not one ounce of sympathy, just a "you're wrong, suck it up" attitude. And sometimes I *am* wrong, and my husband loves me enough to tell me the truth - but with much more grace and kindness than your boyfriend's answer. Is he always this unsupportive?

I'm looking back at the chat messages, and his first reply when I complained was "you're gonna have to learn to ignore it"

then I replied with "I hate the way it's always me you're giving out to, but their behaviour is fine"

and he replied again "i'm not saying it's fine, i'm just saying that you'll come across people who won't agree with your opinions...
i'm just saying you're never gonna change their opinions hun
and yes, you both are entitled to your opinoins"

don't even know what to think anymore...

Upvote 0

ma2000

Veteran
Feb 8, 2007
Romania
✟14,125.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
:hug:
ChirpChirp, hang in there! Boys sometimes don't know how to react to situations like this.. He was trying to find a solution for your problem when the only thing needed was to be supportive. I'm sure he cares for you very much.
As we all do, actually :)
We are a community here, in TAW, and you must know we are here for you! :hug:
Don't upset yourself that much! May you feel the joy of the Resurrection!

Bucurie! :)

Grupul Nectarie Protopsaltul - Psalmul 102 - YouTube

Upvote 0