• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

I hate the med that helps me most.

madison1101

Senior Veteran
Sep 17, 2004
Pennsylvania
✟5,939.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I am on Risperdal for my bipolar mania, and I hate it. The dose I need leaves me tired all day. About a month ago, I found I am anemic and need IV iron infusions. Too tired to do anything without the Risperdal, completely useless on it. My grandkids have been in town for the past month, and I could not sleep through my time with them, so I started cutting back my dose, and now I am off it for three days.

I am not functioning well at all, and I dread seeing my therapist on Thursday. I am engaging in behavior that could get me committed, and I really do not want to stop. I am addicted to it.

I hate being bipolar and needing that darn med.

Trish

Laurel Crowned

Veteran
Feb 11, 2004
Hawaii
✟10,528.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hey Trish,

I understand the need for meds (I've been on meds since 1998 for my bipolar) and I can understand the desire not to take them. I also know what it's like to dread speaking to your therapist. I stopped any long term therapy a while back b/c my secular therapist just couldn't wrap his mind around the fact that you can't separate my faith from my mental health.

That being said... don't be afraid to tell your doctor what you are doing. You cannot put yourself at risk. Advocate for yourself. I told my doctor my anti-depressants weren't working. I've tried several over the years. It got to the point that I was done trying and I asked my doctor to ween me off of my lamictal a few years back. I haven't missed it. But I got off it under doctor's supervision and only after trying other meds. Tell your doc you want to try something else. Also, build a solid prayer support. It has helped me a lot to have a network of people behind me. Hope you figure out what is best and healthiest for you.

Upvote 0

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
One of the Greatest Places on Earth.
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am on Risperdal for my bipolar mania, and I hate it. The dose I need leaves me tired all day. About a month ago, I found I am anemic and need IV iron infusions. Too tired to do anything without the Risperdal, completely useless on it. My grandkids have been in town for the past month, and I could not sleep through my time with them, so I started cutting back my dose, and now I am off it for three days.

I am not functioning well at all, and I dread seeing my therapist on Thursday. I am engaging in behavior that could get me committed, and I really do not want to stop. I am addicted to it.

I hate being bipolar and needing that darn med.

Trish

Hey Trish you know what I found?

I found that when I was on anti-psychotic drugs, like you are then when I got tired from it all the time then I knew I was using too much.

<staff edit> <Staff edit>

Also Trish and in particular please don't go hard on yourself about your addiction, rather begin to forgive yourself - your inability to do it right - and learn to say thanks to Jesus for giving you grace especially when you fail Him and you find yourself back at it.

<staff edit>

She please don't be too hard on yourself Trish, Jesus died for us sinners and His flesh and blood will do what you cannot do - please - let our heavenly Father be your God and take care of you - sick, weak, depressed, addicted - whatever state you are in - He will look after you, if you trust Him to forgive you your sins and you do the same for yourself and for all those others who need forgiveness of sins.

I found that after I surrendered my addictions to Him, and stopped trying to control it myself, He looked after me far better than I ever did.

True all the bad life that had been there, did attack at first, but in faith such crap went away soon enough - like the darkness of addiction went away when I openly lived in The Light of Day.

For the greed, burning needs, shame, guilt, fear, weakness, lack of self-control and such like things left soon afterwards, and I praise and thank God for His unbelievable love over me every day, and the freedom brought me to feed from the goodness He has Created without having to be wrong in any way.

Such a freedom Jesus has for you as well - just give your inability to Him when you are in it - and He will teach you how grace sets you free from addictive substances all together.

For enjoying God's Created good is not wrong in itself, but can be done wrongly and then His Goodness burns us badly. Jesus can teach you how to do it right and then you can have His rest and peace when it comes this this.

Much love your way:hug:

Last edited:
Upvote 0