Not open for further replies.

bill5

Jul 30, 2011
✟63,199.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Most of what you see as hate is not toward the person, but toward their actions. If someone puts an obstacle in front of someone because they identify as homosexual or whatever, there's elements of hate there. I have several gay friends, and I don't spend my time talking to them about how they have sex, or like that, just as I don't discuss sexual practices with my hetero friends.
I do have an issue with the practice of sex outside of marriage, but that covers both hetero and homo sexuals.

Regarding the issue of government approval of gay partnership, or the use of the word 'marriage' to describe such a partnership, I do have issue there, too.

But just as I don't hold it against you that you have a piercing or tattoos, I wouldn't hold it against you because you have same-sex attraction (as well as opposite-sex attraction.

I think my biggest problem with society today is the way people identify themselves as homo- or bi-sexual. It's not who you are. It's only who you're willing to have sex with.

Of course, sex is all over the place these days. Walking around town or in the car dealership, or even on home-improvement shows, there's 'sexy' this and that. I try not to identify everything with sex and leave it at that.

FWIW, it's easy for people to decry other people's sins while minimizing their own. And very common. But we must remember what Jesus said about removing the log from our own eye before we attempt to take out the splinter from our brother's.
Well said. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟247,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Most of what you see as hate is not toward the person, but toward their actions. If someone puts an obstacle in front of someone because they identify as homosexual or whatever, there's elements of hate there. I have several gay friends, and I don't spend my time talking to them about how they have sex, or like that, just as I don't discuss sexual practices with my hetero friends.
I do have an issue with the practice of sex outside of marriage, but that covers both hetero and homo sexuals.

Regarding the issue of government approval of gay partnership, or the use of the word 'marriage' to describe such a partnership, I do have issue there, too.

But just as I don't hold it against you that you have a piercing or tattoos, I wouldn't hold it against you because you have same-sex attraction (as well as opposite-sex attraction.

I think my biggest problem with society today is the way people identify themselves as homo- or bi-sexual. It's not who you are. It's only who you're willing to have sex with.

Of course, sex is all over the place these days. Walking around town or in the car dealership, or even on home-improvement shows, there's 'sexy' this and that. I try not to identify everything with sex and leave it at that.

FWIW, it's easy for people to decry other people's sins while minimizing their own. And very common. But we must remember what Jesus said about removing the log from our own eye before we attempt to take out the splinter from our brother's.

I agree with you. A "union" between two men or two women is not a marriage, no matter what the law says. Period. It does not compute.

As far as sex being all over the place, I blame society with it's sex-crazed views on how men and women should be treated as sex toys and nothing else. It's awful. It's very sad that we have had to scoop down to that level. Lord, have mercy on us.

Likewise, having SSA is a VERY heavy cross to bear. I HATE it when LGBT activist says "it's who they are" and promote promiscuity etc with apps such as grindr etc. Going against the Father's will will NOT make that cross any lighter.

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟247,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
I don't think the OP was referring to people here, but people in real life.

Ok. Yes, some people hate gay people. Think of Matthew Shepherd for instance...very sad. May the Lord have mercy upon him and grant him rest.

Upvote 0

2theBone

Dec 20, 2007
coherent
✟1,604.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
You are right when you say "Homosexuality is not a sin" it is the actions that are sinful. But we should not hate gay people whether they have gay sex or not.

Your post shows some confusion about the issue.

I assume you are using your "Bible" as an authority, but homosexual (gay) sex is not there prohibited for the married homosexual.

Since you don't mention marriage at all, you must not be taking that into consideration.

The only homosexual sex that your holy writings condemn are acts of promiscuity, prostitution, adultery, idolatry and rape, but it nowhere condemns homosexual sex within the sanction of marriage.

Same rules as for heterosexuals. Since marriage is now legal for same-sex couples, we have passed that problem (which was an unrealistic cultural and societal problem in the first place).

This is difficult for some people to digest, but quite true.

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Admiral of the Fleet/First Sea Lord
Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

I assume you are using your "Bible" as an authority, but homosexual (gay) sex is not there prohibited for the married homosexual.

Since you don't mention marriage at all, you must not be taking that into consideration.

The only homosexual sex that your holy writings condemn are acts of promiscuity, prostitution, adultery, idolatry and rape, but it nowhere condemns homosexual sex within the sanction of marriage.

Same rules as for heterosexuals. Since marriage is now legal for same-sex couples, we have passed that problem (which was a unrealistic societal problem in the first place).

Actually, you're confusing Church and state. While the State has legalized gay "marriage" (so-called), the Church has not. Christianity, Catholic Christianity, is not Bible-alone, and so some things that are not Biblical, necessarily, are against our faith. The Bible shows us that sex is to be procreative and unitive within the bond of marriage. So homosexual sex, or such as anal or oral, since not procreative, are, objectively, wrong.

By the way, what sort of sexual sin is "idolatry"?
Our "holy writing" is not limited to the Bible...

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟247,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican

Same rules as for heterosexuals. Since marriage is now legal for same-sex couples, we have passed that problem (which was an unrealistic cultural and societal problem in the first place).

In Matthew 19 Jesus says marriage is between one man and one woman only and he later condemns divorce (unless the marriage is unlawful). As far as homosexual monogamous relationships, I have never heard or seen such a thing...I hate to say it but that's what I have experienced....

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟247,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Actually, you're confusing Church and state. While the State has legalized gay "marriage" (so-called), the Church has not. Christianity, Catholic Christianity, is not Bible-alone, and so some things that are not Biblical, necessarily, are against our faith. The Bible shows us that sex is to be procreative and unitive within the bond of marriage. So homosexual sex, or such as anal or oral, since not procreative, are, objectively, wrong.

By the way, what sort of sexual sin is "idolatry"?
Our "holy writing" is not limited to the Bible...

I agree with you completely. Any sexual acts outside of marriage (both uniting the couple/bonding AND open to life) is extremely sinful. period.

I think with idolatry, in the OT whenever Israel worshipped other "gods" God saw it as his wife sleeping with someone else....I hope that makes sense?

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Admiral of the Fleet/First Sea Lord
Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I agree with you completely. Any sexual acts outside of marriage (both uniting the couple/bonding AND open to life) is extremely sinful. period.

I think with idolatry, in the OT whenever Israel worshipped other "gods" God saw it as his wife sleeping with someone else....I hope that makes sense?

I see how someone could idolize someone and engage in sexual sin because of it. We idolize so much these days...Katy Perry, the newest iPhone, the biggest paycheck, etc. So yes, your partner in sex could be an idol.

Reactions: RileyG
Upvote 0

2theBone

Dec 20, 2007
coherent
✟1,604.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
In Matthew 19 Jesus says marriage is between one man and one woman only and he later condemns divorce (unless the marriage is unlawful). As far as homosexual monogamous relationships, I have never heard or seen such a thing...I hate to say it but that's what I have experienced....

Your experience is clearly quite limited. Monogamous homosexual relationships are common, just as monogamous heterosexual relationships are common.

As to the words of Jesus, he was responding to a specific question concerning a man and a woman, so naturally he responded using that terminology.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LivingWordUnity

Unchanging Deposit of Faith, Traditional Catholic
May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Christians are supposed to love the sinner but hate the sin. The problem arises when people go to one extreme or the other and either hate the sinner along with the sin or when people love the sin along with the sinner. Both of these extremes are wrong.

Upvote 0

bill5

Jul 30, 2011
✟63,199.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Homoerotic activism is trying to force acceptance of homoerotic behavior by those who view it as sinful. In the US business owners are being sued by homoerotics (bakers and photographers ect.) who have objections to participating in their lifestyle. These homoerotic couples sould easilly do business elsewhere but chose to attack these objecting businesses. Schools are being forced to present homoerotic relationships as normal to students even if the parents object to this indoctrination.

You being bullied over your weight in school and then being accepted by some nice gays has nothing to do with this injustice against people. You encountered some people who teased you and then you encountered some who accepted you - so what?

I have encountered some really snarky gays in my day - they actually made nasty comments about my weight. I have encountered some nice gays as well. Ditto for straight people and just about every other group. Some are nice and some are mean spirited.

This concept that some people in a particular group are nice/therefore we must say that their sin is okay/allow them to run roughshod over our religious rights is not logical.

"Bullying" and "hate" are terms being thrown around to gain sympathy for sinful lifestyles and are also being used to villify people who object to homoerotic activism.

Someone stands up for their religious belief therefore they are "haters"? No - these two concepts are unrelated

A person objects to homoerotic behavior therefore they "hate" all people with same sex-attraction? Again, no, objection does not mean hate.

Christians speak out against homoerotic behavior therefore they are saying that Jesus does not love people with same-sex attraction? These are two unrelated understandings.

There may be people who truly hate all people with same-sex attraction. There also may be people who truly hate any other group. Again, this has nothing to do with Christians who are trying to live their faith.

Put your thinking/logic cap on. Perhaps if you distinguish between different concepts then you can begin to understand true hatred for a person or group. If your thinking process can only be that "I was bullied/I found acceptance at a gay bar/Christianity opposes homoerotic actions/Jesus loves everyone/therefore Christians must HATE gays" then you will never understand. To understand any subject one must first get all their facts in order and analyze them.

You said that people say that gays are pedophiles and that most pedophiles are straight. You need to get facts straight (no pun intended) and think in less generalized terms. It is true that most pedophiles are straight. Search and see if there is a higher PERCENTAGE of pedophiles among straight or gay populations. If a Christian quotes a study showing that there is a higher percentage of pedophiles in the the gay population would you say that Christians think the all gays are pedophiles and therefore "hate" them?

What exactly is "bullying"? Is it just some teasing all kids experience while growing up? Is it criminal behavior perpetrated against someone, actions that used to be called "crimes". You say you were bullied - what exactly happened? Were you teased? Did someone hit you (this is a crime - someone needs to be arrested for this).
Did the whole student body hate you? Did a few mean kids call you names?

You say that you were "accepted" at the gay bar. What does this mean? Did all the patrons run up to you and buy you a drink? Did some engage in friendly conversation with you? Did you find a good friend at this bar? I am happy you apparently had a good experience but I find it hard to believe that this bar was the only place in the area that produced positive experiences for you.
Even better said. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

2theBone

Dec 20, 2007
coherent
✟1,604.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green

The idolatry I mentioned concerned male temple prostitutes. Check my post above.

Upvote 0

Cosmic Charlie

The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated
Oct 14, 2003
✟68,850.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Most of what you see as hate is not toward the person, but toward their actions.

I'm going to disagree with that.

While most people who go after the gay here claim it's about the actions, the tenor, tone and vocabulary they use is always directed at the person..

And

Serious question:

Why is "sodomite" allowed through the filter ?

Upvote 0

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I see how someone could idolize someone and engage in sexual sin because of it. We idolize so much these days...Katy Perry, the newest iPhone, the biggest paycheck, etc. So yes, your partner in sex could be an idol.

Your partner in sex could be Billy Idol, who you worship. Double wammy there.

I'm going to disagree with that.

While most people who go after the gay here claim it's about the actions, the tenor, tone and vocabulary they use is always directed at the person..

And

Serious question:

Why is "sodomite" allowed through the filter ?

It just means one who has anal, oral or manual sex or sex with a person they are not allowed to be with. I don't think it's a vulgarity. Then again, I don't think that most of what trips the filter is all that vulgar.

I find lies to be vulgar, and we've had posters who've claimed that homosexuals account for most of the sodomy in the US. That statement, of course, is a filthy lie. Telling filthy lies about a minority group is a sign if hate, I think. Vocal opposition of a minority group that practices sodomy while ignoring or speaking less often about the majority group that practices sodomy is an example if hate in action. This demonstrates that their problem is not with the sin, but with the sinners. Want to be enlightened? Do a search for threads started by given posters and observe the ratio of threads specifically about homosexual sin to those about heterosexual sin or sexual sin in general. Some people just cannot get enough of the homosexual talk . I don't know if they're driven by hatred of or lust for homosexuals, but it is unsettling either way.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

sylverpiano

unworthy
Oct 14, 2010
✟53,702.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Friend MikeK:

Amen. I think we'd all get along a lot better if we agreed to discuss the sins we are tempted by and succumb to rather than those crosses we are blessed not to have to carry.

Well said. I have my own sinful nature for which I must atone.

Upvote 0

Historicus

Follower of Jesus Christ
Apr 20, 2005
Ohio
✟55,435.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married