I don't do online gaming, does that make me wierd?

fat_boy

Aug 7, 2010
✟7,706.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi guys

Im a massive fan of the Call of Duty games and hear people constantly rant on about how good the online games are. Same with Borderlands, Medal of Hono(u)r and dozens of others.

Maybe its just me, but I can't stand online gaming. I honestly believe if I'm shelling out 40 quid for a game, it should be able to stand up on single player mode. Some games, like GTA, Fallout 3/NV, Dead rising 2 and so on do seem to do this, but there are some I buy, like Modern warfare 2, which I felt a bit short changed with. Yes, the single player is very cool and its a great gaming experience, but after 3-4 hours its over, with only a handful of unlockable missions to keep my interest.

I guess I'm just cynical, but games have always been a way for me to relax, not have some 14 year old kid shout abuse at me down a microphone. Or logging onto some server where everyone is stupidly highly skilled and I end up dying constantly with no chance to actually have a good game, being constantly "pwned" (seriously, what does that mean?) and being called a "n00b", nor do I want to log onto a server 6 months after a game comes out and find the thing deserted as the online gamers have gone onto something else.

Is it just me that has this perspective, or are there others out there?

NiobiumTragedy

Glorious Tragedy
Jun 15, 2009
USA
✟17,652.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In ways, I agree. Online gaming use to be a feature of the game, now they are basing a lot of games around it. More often than not, extremely multi-player based games lack in the single player area, but lets be realistic, most people don't buy games like Unreal Tournament or Call of Duty for the single player mode.

In that situation, I would focus on games that are known for their single player stories. Games like Fallout are good series by a company known for depth of the story lines where as Unreal... not so much. So I know what to expect when buying a game.

I usually really like multiplayer modes, but the people who play them keep me from playing them too often.

Upvote 0

inconsequential

goat who dreamed he was a sheep
Mar 28, 2010
✟9,552.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
You pretty much expressed my sentiments, fb. The only games I play online are MMORPGs and I rarely even play them anymore. I'm hoping to get into some online coop at some point and I have high hopes (tempered with a shot of realism) for The Old Republic but as far as online deathmatch games or hyper-competitive Starcraft matches, I have no interest at all.

Upvote 0

Tropical Wilds

Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟195,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think these days, there are games that are marketed for online and offline play. I think that by now most gamers will know that games like "Call of Duty" or "Left 4 Dead" is an online experience with a campaign experience that's minor in varying degrees to the centerpiece, which is the online. Certain systems are more prone to the online experience because that's what they system itself is built to do. Even games like Fallout work fine offline, but to get the full experience of them (patches, DLC), you have to be online to play them.

I think in this day and age, unless you're cranking out a game like Fallout which is potentially 100+ hours long, you've got to have some sort of online component or your game is going to lose out to those games that go online. And why not? Nobody wants to pay for online service to get games that don't use it. For example, look at games with the non-multiplayer component... "Dante's Inferno," "Bayonetta," "Batman: AA," "Dead Space," even to an extent "God of War 3," all of them had no online component, all of them saw strong initial sales, but then price drops 60-90 days after their release, all of them saw their resale fall through the floor... Dante's Inferno is, what... Less than a year old? I can go down to BJ's and buy a copy for $11. Dante tried to cut off the bleeding by adding a co-op later, but by then cuts had already hit. And games, like "Bioshock 2" and "Medal of Honor" suffered hard from bad multiplayer experiences, while "Battlefield Bad Company 2" shot up from minor release to a huge word-of-mouth game that actually had a price drop reversed after buzz drove people to buy it. Now we're starting to see games get dinged by reviewers and players for lack of multiplayer or co-op... Like "Fable 3" or even "New Vegas."

For gaming companies, the online is the money maker... It's what keeps the game new and fresh and keeps people playing. "Modern Warfare 2" is how old and still almost full priced and an insanely expensive purchase used? Halo? Now we see games like "Bioshock 3" bragging about revamped online, the beta multiplayer on the sequel to "Dead Space" has gotten amazing buzz, the new AC seems to have legs thanks to a new online component, "Red Dead Redeption" is another one that is surviving quite well due to the online, and even "Borderlands" is the same way... Rejuvinated in sales by great online experiences.

And honestly, most people don't say "If I'm going to spend $60, this had better be a good single player game..." They say "If I'm going to spend $60 on this, it'd better have a lot to do..." and I won't lie, I put down "Alan Wake" for "Red Dead" even though, IMHO, "Alan Wake" was the better game, because "Red Dead" seemed like with the campaign and the online, it was a better use of my $60 simply because it seems like it'd do more to hold my interest for longer. For that kind of money, I expect it'll do more and be more than a single player game. If that's the kind of experience I want, I will cancel my gold (or platinum or whatever it is) XBL account and take up the Wii.

And I do so get tired of hearing complaints about the offline aspect of games like Halo, CoD, L4D, etc... These are games that are marketed very specifically for online play in almost every way. So complaining that has little to offer in terms of offline or single player play is on par, for me, with hearing that "Plants vs. Zombies" was a poor excuse for a first person shooter. In both cases, the answer is "Well of course it is, that wasn't what the game was supposed to be."

Honestly, what I wish beyond wishes was that Microsoft would stop with this stupid trend of requiring you to be online when you play DLC or downloaded games you buy off the Marketplace. Do you know how frustrating it is to have a game like Fallout 3 in with all the DLC you paid for and loaded on, but having the DLC unavailable unless you're online and playing? It's not like you're even online playing with other people, you're just online. It's insane. Why should I have to connect to XBL to play PvZ or Bioshock DLC? AAARGH!!!!

Though I do sympathize with the online stupidity of the general public. I get a lot of it on some games (Gears of War, Call of Duty, Halo) just for being a girl. If I had a dime for every time I hear "shouldn't you be in the kitchen?" or "why don't you (insert sex act here)?" Beyond frustrating. Gears is the worst for that stuff, but in both CoD and Gears I've had players on the opposite team or even my team run around to specifically find and kill me, just because I'm a female gamer. Why? I don't know, but there you have it. I find the mute button works wonders.

But I do have to admit, the 5 year old in me likes the new CoD multiplayer partially so I can see all the ways people can figure out how to draw profane pictures on their badges. It really amuses me, and I know it shouldn't. There is a humor in picking up the gun of the guy you shot and seeing "F U" written on it. LoL But honestly, the new CoD online is awesome and worth checking out. It really levels the playing field a lot more than the old one did. But I was always a fan of the odd numbered CoD as opposed to the evens. Infinity Ward was fine, but I thought the game was so much better by Treyarch. And the stupid minigame on the main screen is addictive.

Upvote 0

Cabal

Jul 22, 2007
London
✟30,012.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
No, you're not weird. Other people are a highly-overrated phenomenon.

Sometimes I'm in the mood for online gaming, what gets me is how samey much of it is. It seems like every single game franchise is trying to shoehorn in deathmatch multiplayer with a few new gimmicks with every new release (BioShock, as one poster already mentioned, Assassin's Creed, etc.)

If I go for multiplayer, it's usually for something a bit different, like co-op or a massive variation on deathmatch like Left 4 Dead vs. mode.

As much as I'm not a mumorpuger fan, what I liked about WoW for the brief time I played it was that you weren't required to constantly interact with people. It was nice to trek around and just people-watch (avatar-watch?) in the towns/quest hubs, especially to return to after fighting alone in the wastes. Or coming across a random person struggling at the same level in the same inhospitable area.

Contrast that with:
*log on to automatch server*
*discover server is full of MASSIVE tools*
*log off/get kicked by admin on a power trip*
*lather, rinse, repeat with difference server*

By far and away though my best gaming experiences have almost always been in single player mode.

Upvote 0

Tropical Wilds

Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟195,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
L4D multi vs is fun, but insanely annoying sometimes... Everybody always wants to be the infected and it's just obnoxious to watch the entire other team kill themselves so the game will advance to the next round and they can be the infected again.

Upvote 0

Jan 27, 2009
Somewhere out there
✟8,559.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-NDP
You do know you could essentially turn off voice chat altogether, right?

I'm guessing you play on 360, you can hit the guide button, go over to settings, then preferences, then voice, and turn voice all the way down to zero. No more childish people with their disparaging remarks.

It got to me a lot too. I stopped voice chatting unless it's with people I know because of it.

Hasn't really stopped me from playing online though.

Upvote 0

The-Doctor

Man with a scarf
Nov 12, 2002
England
✟28,282.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No I dont think you are weird. The problem is that a lot of the newer games are going online more than single player and the players are asking for that so the companies are meeting this demand. At the end of the day they are in it for the money! Sadly that means increasingly the best experiances for the game are going to be online rather than single player.

I don;t tend to be online as much and when I was for things like COD or similar I'm usually up against people who seem to spend every waking moment playing making them practically impossible to beat and spend the entire experiance being used as a mop for their entertainment. I have met some great people online as well though and really enjoyed those games. THat said there are still one or two great single player games that have a lot of longevity. I've have spent weeks working on Dragon age origins and awakening and I'm still working through all the DLC stuff (I bought the pack that included it all) and I'm not done yet though some of those DLCs are a bit short in my oppinion. Mass effect is a pretty good off line game too with or without the DLC (both by BIOWARE)

It depends on what you are into really and I do agree with some of the other comments about the prices, shop around is the best I can say.

Upvote 0

singpeace

Site Supporter
Oct 21, 2009
U.S.
✟40,147.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I would say that online gaming is like most things.... okay in moderation. The sad thing is that so many people (especially our young men) believe they have online gaming, but in reality online gaming has them. It's a snare intended to keep people from accomplishing any good for God's kingdom.

I'm glad you aren't into it.

1 Corinthians 13:11 (Amplified Bible)
11. When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child; now that I have become a man, I am done with childish ways and have put them aside.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Dec 22, 2010
✟1,424.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
@fat boy

I suppose if you can spend 40 quid for game, so its possible to choose game before buying. Some kinds of games, like COD (like it much), are made for multiplayer gaming on 80-90%. Its no reason to wait long-interesting single gaming from it. Read reviews about games and then buy.

Upvote 0