Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
How are we to talk online to others we don't know?

I can fall into the trap of skimming for fault and play offensive two moves ahead. It's not a very congenial way of discussion but it's good at winning - at least in it's own mind.

The above is more than common all across the internet and it's easy to do.

Since I've been saved almost a decade ago, I've been convinced I have to change the way I debate and discuss online to a more humble and God fearing speech when talking online.

But I don't always know how to accurately communicate my thinking.

Am I being too emphatic to the point of rudeness or am I understating the issues. I don't always know the answer to these questions.

I'm coming to this thinking and this thread once more because this is an election season and we are facing dangers in the world. We want to share our thoughts as part of the national discussion - or determine what those thoughts are - but we want also to help, or be leaders in, changing the temperature of the room so to speak.

To be able to stand saying we controlled our tongues yet spoke the truth in humility.

It's part self control, and part knowledge, and part humility and love of others.

I have a hard time truly opening up and when I do I am more easily hurt when insulted by others, therefore for me being Christian and talking about topics I am in some way passionate about is almost oil and water at times.

What are everyone's thoughts?

How do we communicate best with one another?

How do people think I do as a communicator?

What improvements could I make? What tricks do you have?

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟907,158.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I can fall into the trap of skimming for fault and play offensive two moves ahead. It's not a very congenial way of discussion but it's good at winning - at least in it's own mind.

The above is more than common all across the internet and it's easy to do.

Since I've been saved almost a decade ago, I've been convinced I have to change the way I debate and discuss online to a more humble and God fearing speech when talking online.

But I don't always know how to accurately communicate my thinking.

Am I being too emphatic to the point of rudeness or am I understating the issues. I don't always know the answer to these questions.

I'm coming to this thinking and this thread once more because this is an election season and we are facing dangers in the world. We want to share our thoughts as part of the national discussion - or determine what those thoughts are - but we want also to help, or be leaders in, changing the temperature of the room so to speak.

To be able to stand saying we controlled our tongues yet spoke the truth in humility.

It's part self control, and part knowledge, and part humility and love of others.

I have a hard time truly opening up and when I do I am more easily hurt when insulted by others, therefore for me being Christian and talking about topics I am in some way passionate about is almost oil and water at times.

What are everyone's thoughts?

How do we communicate best with one another?

How do people think I do as a communicator?

What improvements could I make? What tricks do you have?
Thanks for the post! I could use some pointers myself and look forward to them! I do know ,for myself personally, when I get
"emotional " my first draft can be rather harsh. I am now editing quite I bit before I post. I ask myself.... " is this loving"? Then I make the appropriate changes. Its a work in progress for sure. I catch a lot of typos too! :D
Blessings

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟692,464.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Thanks for the post! I could use some pointers myself and look forward to them! I do know ,for myself personally, when I get
"emotional " my first draft can be rather harsh. I am now editing quite I bit before I post. I ask myself.... " is this loving"? Then I make the appropriate changes. Its a work in progress for sure. I catch a lot of typos too! :D
Blessings

I use my phone to get on the forum here, and usually just type straight into the forum reply box.

It is a good idea to download a notepad to type in first.... I should do that! I've said it before I'm sure... But maybe this time I won't procrastinate. Lol..

Upvote 0

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟440,416.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Like we would, or would not, talk to them if we met them offline ... in real life???

The online world can give us a sense of familiarity that is not real.

Online, we generally only 'see' the person that the poster wants for us to see.
It takes time, much exposure and more transparent conversation, to really get to know someone online.
And without knowing someone, it can be very easy to misunderstand each other and miscommunicate.

I've made my share of errors with online communication. :doh:
So I have learned to stop and ask myself sometimes: "If I met this person in real life, would I even engage with them?"
And ... "If I engaged with them, would I approach them this way? Would I talk to them in this way?"

Sometimes a dose of reality helps, when communicating online ...

• Informative
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0