Feb 22, 2011
✟1,769.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Others
Tonight, at 10:00 pm EST, pray to our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Ask him for mercy, ask him for forgiveness, and ask him to restore your faith in his power and his grace. And if after your prayer, you don't feel even the slightest bit touched, ie the hairs on the back of your neck don't stand up, or if you don't sense a prickling in your inner-consciousness, than you can forsake the Lord and ask him to damn you to hell.

Even I got in on this one. Sorry, no dice. I was actually sincere about it too. (You know, I'm a truth seeker, and want to know if there's really some god out there I'm just not 'experiencing'.)

But no tingling, no prickly feeling. Nothing. I get more feeling when listening to Beethoven's 9th. (Which incidentally is caused by the emotional response to it, and is the same as these 'feelings of the holy spirit' you are likely getting to).

Does this sound like a fair proposition? I think so. In return for your participation, I will pray for you and forgive you for your sins against me and my ilk.

Great way to end it - with more persecution complex and condescending 'forgiveness'.

Bless you. The Lord will hear you tonight and answer you if you let him into your heart.

I tried, nothing happened. Then I listened to Beethoven's 9th and got the feelings you were describing. Was Beethoven God?

EDIT: Tell you what, 10pm EST tonight, I'll go visit some of my Christian friends and we'll all pray together to see if anything happens.

Upvote 0

Nathan Poe

Sep 21, 2002
United States
✟41,319.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
Incidentally, I looked up the word "rebuke" on dictionary.com:

re·buke

   http://app.dictionary.com/signup/po...lbackAction=addToFav&domaindest=reference.com/rɪˈbyuk/ Show Spelled [ri-byook] Show IPA verb, -buked, -buk·ing, noun
–verb (used with object) 1. to express sharp, stern disapproval of; reprove; reprimand.

–noun 2. sharp, stern disapproval; reproof; reprimand.

Since folks like clirus and Zongerfield are promoting execution only after rebuke, does that mean that I am to be executed by the state only after they discover that shaking their finger at me and saying "naughty, naughty, naughty" fails to accomplish anything?

Upvote 0

TheReasoner

Former christian, current teapot agnostic.
Mar 14, 2005
Norway
✟29,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Incidentally, I looked up the word "rebuke" on dictionary.com:

re·buke

   http://app.dictionary.com/signup/po...lbackAction=addToFav&domaindest=reference.com/rɪˈbyuk/ Show Spelled [ri-byook] Show IPA verb, -buked, -buk·ing, noun
–verb (used with object) 1. to express sharp, stern disapproval of; reprove; reprimand.

–noun 2. sharp, stern disapproval; reproof; reprimand.

Since folks like clirus and Zongerfield are promoting execution only after rebuke, does that mean that I am to be executed by the state only after they discover that shaking their finger at me and saying "naughty, naughty, naughty" fails to accomplish anything?

Somehow I think Clirus might believe something on this list qualifies as rebuke.

She doesn't think execution is killing, after all. Just "ending lives". *raises one eyebrow.*

Upvote 0

Zongerfield

Jan 24, 2011
✟8,125.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Did it. Felt nothing.

And since, according to the likes of you and clirus, I'm already damned to hell, it seems quite pointless to "ask" for something I'm already getting. Might as well ask God to let May follow April.

Whatever works for you.

Looks like He didn't -- and if the end result of that would be to become like you and/or clirus, then I'm better off. The heart cannot accept what the mind rejects.

You were predisposed to turning away from the Lord. He did not hear your prays (or maybe he did, I cannot really say), but something tells me you haphazardly went through the motions with no sincerity, no forgiveness in you heart, no desire to be touched by his grace. Ergo, you felt nothing.

I guess I expected more from you. I thought you would embrace this challenge and make a heartfelt appeal to your Lord and Savior. And you failed. No worries, there's still time for you.

I will fulfill my end of the deal. Bless you.

Upvote 0

Zongerfield

Jan 24, 2011
✟8,125.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Even I got in on this one. Sorry, no dice. I was actually sincere about it too. (You know, I'm a truth seeker, and want to know if there's really some god out there I'm just not 'experiencing'.)

But no tingling, no prickly feeling. Nothing. I get more feeling when listening to Beethoven's 9th. (Which incidentally is caused by the emotional response to it, and is the same as these 'feelings of the holy spirit' you are likely getting to).

Great way to end it - with more persecution complex and condescending 'forgiveness'.

I tried, nothing happened. Then I listened to Beethoven's 9th and got the feelings you were describing. Was Beethoven God?

EDIT: Tell you what, 10pm EST tonight, I'll go visit some of my Christian friends and we'll all pray together to see if anything happens.

I think the key for you, as you seem to be a little more open-minded than Nathan, is to keep your heart and your mind open. The Lord will come to you when you are truly ready. But in the meantime, keep praying to him, keep praying with your Christian friends, and keep reading scripture.

It's funny you mention Beethoven's 9th, because that was undoubtedly divinely inspired - we are all vessels for the Lord's work.

Keep searching for truth, one day I believe you will find it.

And you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free. (John 8:32)

Upvote 0

Nathan Poe

Sep 21, 2002
United States
✟41,319.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
You were predisposed to turning away from the Lord. He did not hear your prays (or maybe he did, I cannot really say), but something tells me you haphazardly went through the motions with no sincerity, no forgiveness in you heart, no desire to be touched by his grace. Ergo, you felt nothing.

"Something" being your own pride -- you just can't accept failure, can you?

In any case, the rebuke has failed -- I suppose my execution is impending now.

I guess I expected more from you. I thought you would embrace this challenge and make a heartfelt appeal to your Lord and Savior. And you failed. No worries, there's still time for you.

I'm afraid the only failure here is yours.

But I'll tell you what -- in the interest of fairness, I'll make a deal with you.

At 6:00 PM tonight, I plan to head out to a birthday party for a friend of mine.

I expect (knowing this friend as I do) that said party will include quite a bit of alcohol, possibly chemicals of a more illicit nature, men and women of, shall we say, highly negotiable morals, and that quite a bit of sin, vice, and debauchery will ensue until sometime just before dawn -- or the police arrive; whichever comes first.

If you are interested in preventing my participation in this event (and truth be told, it's kind of a long drive anyway) then you have an opportunity to rebuke me, right here and now, with the power of the Lord backing you up just as it did for your friend Walt, and if I feel sufficiently moved, I'll stay home tonight and read the Bible instead.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lion Hearted Man

Eternal Newbie
Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
✟11,179.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Engaged

Seems like the Lord failed, honestly. If God can only enter your heart if you delude yourself enough, that's kind of suspicious.

Upvote 0

rjc34

Feb 22, 2011
✟1,769.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Others
I think the key for you, as you seem to be a little more open-minded than Nathan, is to keep your heart and your mind open. The Lord will come to you when you are truly ready. But in the meantime, keep praying to him, keep praying with your Christian friends, and keep reading scripture.

I'm curious, why can't he just, you know, listen to me when I pray now? Why do I have to be 'truly ready'? And what exactly is being truly ready?

It's funny you mention Beethoven's 9th, because that was undoubtedly divinely inspired - we are all vessels for the Lord's work.

I also get the same feeling when I listen to a deliciously layered solo in some melodic black metal... was that divinely inspired too?

Actually I think I'm going to go listen to some Lamb of God. Tingles galore!

Keep searching for truth, one day I believe you will find it.

Truth: a fact that has been verified; conformity to reality or actuality.

That's the truth I'm interested in. I'm not interested in wishful thinking or believing in that which can't be verified.

Upvote 0

Nathan Poe

Sep 21, 2002
United States
✟41,319.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
Seems like the Lord failed, honestly. If God can only enter your heart if you delude yourself enough, that's kind of suspicious.

Strange how the Lord has done nothing but fail over the internet.

Could it be that my Firewall is blocking God? Is there an "allow the Holy Spirit access" setting in Norton?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Zongerfield

Jan 24, 2011
✟8,125.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
"Something" being your own pride -- you just can't accept failure, can you?

In any case, the rebuke has failed -- I suppose my execution is impending now.

I'm afraid the only failure here is yours.

But I'll tell you what -- in the interest of fairness, I'll make a deal with you.

At 6:00 PM tonight, I plan to head out to a birthday party for a friend of mine.

I expect (knowing this friend as I do) that said party will include quite a bit of alcohol, possibly chemicals of a more illicit nature, men and women of, shall we say, highly negotiable morals, and that quite a bit of sin, vice, and debauchery will ensue until sometime just before dawn -- or the police arrive; whichever comes first.

If you are interested in preventing my participation in this event (and truth be told, it's kind of a long drive anyway) then you have an opportunity to rebuke me, right here and now, with the power of the Lord backing you up just as it did for your friend Walt, and if I feel sufficiently moved, I'll stay home tonight and read the Bible instead.

This party sounds like a bad idea. A very bad idea. I will pray that God gives you the strength to resist temptation, and I will pray that you - like Walt, when he felt the inner demons of his soul pull him in the wrong direction - end up finding the right path.

To be honest, you remind me a lot of Walt when I first met him. Walt was a very haughty person, he would gloat about his misdoings as if he was proud to be rubbing his sins in the face of God. That's essentially what you are doing here. You are excited by the opportunity to sin in the face of God. You are duly aware that carousing with immoral people and participating in their sinful activity pulls you further away from God, yet you enthusiastically proceed despite the better part of your conscience and soul instructing you to do otherwise.

I will not rebuke you. I will not tell you what you are doing is wrong. You already know this. You're no different than Walter was. And perhaps I should tell you what ended up happening to Walt. After he got released from prison and took the time to stop committing his perversions, he found God. He was saved. But the sinning of his past life caught up with him and he was struck down and killed. I know he is in the Kingdom of Heaven, but his time on earth was cut short because he chose the wrong path too many times. Maybe you can learn from Walt.

Upvote 0

Skavau

Ode to the Forgotten Few
Sep 6, 2007
England
✟41,497.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Strange how the Lord has done nothing but fail over the internet.

Could it be that my Firewall is blocking God? Is there an "allow the Holy Spirit access" setting in Norton?

Well, to complete that analogy the virus would actually succeed and you would be in the process of uninstalling Norton.

Upvote 0