I believe this is how to become like Jesus.

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟285,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Romans chapter 1 verse 28
Furthermore, just as they did not think it worthwhile to retain the knowledge of God, so God gave them over to a depraved mind, so that they do what ought not to be done.
In Exodus 33:13, Moses wanted God to be gracious to him by teaching him to walk in His way that he and Israel might know Him, and Matthew 7:23, Jesus said that he would tell those who are workers of lawlessness to depart from him because he never knew them, so the goal of the Mosaic Law is to know God and Jesus, which is eternal life (John 17:3), which is also why Jesus said that the way to inherit eternal life is by obeying God’s commandments (Matthew 19:17, Luke 10:25-28). So those who think that it is worthwhile to retain the knowledge of God obey the Mosaic Law while those who do what ought not to be done do not obey it.

If Jesus was preaching law, he would have stoned this woman.

John chapter 8 verse 7
When they kept on questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, “Let any one of you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her.”

Jesus is the only person who has ever lived that didn't sin.
You agree that Christ was the only one who has ever lived who did not sin and that it is by the Mosaic Law that we know what sin is (Romans 3:20), which means that he set a perfect example of how to walk in obedience to it, and we are told to follow his example (1 Peter 2:21-22) and that those who are in Christ are obligated to walk in the same way he walked (1 John 2:6). Moreover, Jesus did not hypothetically preach something other than what he practiced, but rather he began his ministry in Mathew 4:15-23 with the Gospel message to repent for the Kingdom of God is at hand, and the Mosaic Law was how his audience knew what sin is, so repenting from our disobedience to it is a central part of the Gospel message.

In regard to John 8, that is an example Jesus acting in accordance with the Mosaic Law, which instructs for both the man and the woman accused of committing adultery to be brought before a judge to do a thorough investigation, it instructs the witnesses to throw the first stones, and it instructs that no one is to be put to death without at least two or three witnesses, so if Jesus had stoned her, then he would have sinned by transgressing the Mosaic Law and would have therefore disqualified himself as our Savior.

Upvote 0

disciple1

Aug 1, 2012
✟62,178.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So those who think that it is worthwhile to retain the knowledge of God obey the Mosaic Law while those who do what ought not to be done do not obey it.
Philippians chapter 3 verse
3 For it is we who are the circumcision, we who serve God by his Spirit, who boast in Christ Jesus, and who put no confidence in the flesh

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟285,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Philippians chapter 3 verse
3 For it is we who are the circumcision, we who serve God by his Spirit, who boast in Christ Jesus, and who put no confidence in the flesh
Why did you quote that verse?

Upvote 0

disciple1

Aug 1, 2012
✟62,178.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Why did you quote that verse?
Unless I'm misunderstanding it sounds like you think your justified by law.

1 Timothy chapter 1
7 They want to be teachers of the law, but they do not know what they are talking about or what they so confidently affirm.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟587,826.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
My apologies. I expect I jumped at the opportunity to climb up onto my soapbox. I am "sick unto death" of the seductive 'feel good' mindset concerning God, in all its various applications. God is not tame. Life is not easy. This life is not for this life. There are people whose whole way of reading scripture is about the notion that God put us here for whatever present happiness can be had.
Thank you. I thought you might be drawing me out to be more clear. I can misunderstand people; I have had quite an adventure asking people what they mean by things, or why someone did something. Answers I have gotten have been better than what I was thinking or suspecting.

Reactions: Mark Quayle
Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟285,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Unless I'm misunderstanding it sounds like you think you’re justified by law.
The only way to gain a character trait is through faith, so while we become righteous through faith apart from being required to have first obeyed the Mosaic Law, becoming some who has a character trait through faith means becoming someone who practices that character trait through faith, so it is contradictory to become righteous apart from becoming someone who practices righteousness in obedience to the Mosaic Law. This is why the faith by which we are declared righteous does not abolish our need to obey the Mosaic Law, but rather our faith upholds it (Romans 3:28-31). In other words when someone practices righteousness in obedience to the Mosaic Law, such as by helping the poor, then the significance of their action is not that it is part of something that they need to do first in order to earn their righteousness as the result, but rather the significance is that they are expressing their faith, and it is by that faith alone that they are are declared righteous.

1 Timothy chapter 1
7 They want to be teachers of the law, but they do not know what they are talking about or what they so confidently affirm.
In 1 Timothy 1:8, the Mosaic Law is good if it is used properly, so what was only said against its improper uses should not be mistaken as speaking against its proper uses.

Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟825,191.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
John chapter 1 verse 1
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
John chapter 1 verse 14
The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.
Luke chapter 6 verse 40
A disciple is not above his teacher, but everyone who is perfectly trained will be like his teacher.
Matthew chapter 23 verse 10
And do not be called teachers; for One is your Teacher, the Christ.
John chapter 8 verse 31,32
31 To the Jews who had believed him, Jesus said, “If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. 32 Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.”

I switched from NIV to NEW KJV and old KJV because they changed the NIV many years ago, to make the bible less gay friendly, I don't know why, unless you have a translation from 2001.

I don't think I've become like Christ yet, but I've read the bible or listened to it over 200 times maybe over 300 times, I've lost count, The year before covid I listened to the bible 20 times. I've been studying the bible since 1982, and study it about 2 hours every morning, and in the afternoon, I play hymns on harmonica on tic tok.
The only real way to become more like Jesus is to put that Holy Spirit, which God gives his children through baptism, to work in our lives. This Spirit is everything we need to transform our lives. It is a wonderful gift which needs to be opened and used. Praise be to God.

Upvote 0

disciple1

Aug 1, 2012
✟62,178.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
In 1 Timothy 1:8, the Mosaic Law is good if it is used properly, so what was only said against its improper uses should not be mistaken as speaking against its proper uses.
Galatians chapter 3 verse 23,24,25
nkjv 23But before faith came, we were kept under guard by the law, [f]kept for the faith which would afterward be revealed. 24Therefore the law was our [g]tutor to bring us to Christ, that we might be justified by faith. 25But after faith has come, we are no longer under a tutor.

niv 23Before this faith came, we were held in custody under the law, locked up until faith should be revealed. 24So the law became our guardian to lead us to Christ, that we might be justified by faith. 25Now that faith has come, we are no longer under a guardian.

I only put both there because the niv used to say it better.

Reactions: Laodicean60
Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟285,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Galatians chapter 3 verse 23,24,25
nkjv 23But before faith came, we were kept under guard by the law, [f]kept for the faith which would afterward be revealed. 24Therefore the law was our [g]tutor to bring us to Christ, that we might be justified by faith. 25But after faith has come, we are no longer under a tutor.

niv 23Before this faith came, we were held in custody under the law, locked up until faith should be revealed. 24So the law became our guardian to lead us to Christ, that we might be justified by faith. 25Now that faith has come, we are no longer under a guardian.

I only put both there because the niv used to say it better.
So how do you understand those verses? Do you think that the purpose of a tutor is to teach us things so that we can then disregard what they taught us? Do you think that the purpose of God’s word leading us to God’s word made flesh is so that we will then reject God’s word and go back to living in sin? Christ is the exact image of God’s nature (Hebrews 1:3), which he expressed by setting a sinless example of how to walk in obedience to the Mosaic Law, so does that Mosaic Law lead us to Christ because it teaches how to partake in the divine nature in accordance with being led by his example or does it lead us to him so that we can then refuse to be led by his example?

In Galatians 3:16-19, a new covenant does not nullify the promise of a covenant that has already been ratified, so the New Covenant does not nullify our need to obey the Mosaic Law in accordance with the promise. Furthermore, in Galatians 3:26-29, every aspect of being children of God, through faith, in Christ, and children of Abraham and heirs to the promise is directly connected with living in obedience to the Mosaic Law. In 1 John 3:4-10, those who do not practice righteousness in obedience to the Mosaic Law are not children of God. In 1 John 2:6, those who are in Christ are obligated to walk in the same way that he walked. In Matthew 23:23, Jesus said that faith is one of the weightier matters of the Mosaic Law. In John 8:39, Jesus said that if they were children of Abraham, then they would be doing the same works as him.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟285,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
How do you apply the law to other people or to yourself, it sounds like you're applying it to me, I don't think I can help you.
God is sovereign, so we are all under His law and are obligated to refrain from sin regardless of whether or not we think His law applies to us. Our salvation is from sin, so it is contradictory for someone to think that they need salvation from transgressing God's law while also thinking that God's law doesn't apply to them.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟837,218.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Is that the end of discussion on the matter? Is that all Jesus was like?

And, more, how do you make the logical jump, that being like Jesus implies supporting people to do things producing rest for their souls? Particularly, when we are so willing to take cheap substitutes for temporary rest, rather than the lasting rest, that the TRUTH produces?
Being like Jesus is exhibiting love, peace, joy, patience, faithfulness, kindness, gentleness, goodness, and self control. Any conduct that does not reflect these is not being like the Jesus of the Bible.

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟795,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Being like Jesus is exhibiting love, peace, joy, patience, faithfulness, kindness, gentleness, goodness, and self control. Any conduct that does not reflect these is not being like the Jesus of the Bible.
Being like Jesus is a lot more than that.

Upvote 0

OrthodoxPhoebe

Jun 12, 2016
California
✟15,941.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
John chapter 1 verse 1
John chapter 1 verse 14
The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.
Luke chapter 6 verse 40
A disciple is not above his teacher, but everyone who is perfectly trained will be like his teacher.
31 To the Jews who had believed him, Jesus said, “If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. 32 Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.”

I switched from NIV to NEW KJV and old KJV because they changed the NIV many years ago, to make the bible less gay friendly, I don't know why, unless you have a translation from 2001.

I don't think I've become like Christ yet, but I've read the bible or listened to it over 200 times maybe over 300 times, I've lost count, The year before covid I listened to the bible 20 times. I've been studying the bible since 1982, and study it about 2 hours every morning, and in the afternoon, I play hymns on harmonica on tic tok.
You become like Christ through the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. You can read the Bible until pig's fly, and it will not do a stitch of good without the Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟837,218.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Being like Jesus is a lot more than that.
I think that in view of the constant struggle we have with the flesh, being able to achieve the fruit of the Spirit in our conduct and behaviour would be something to be valued. It provides the foundation for everything we do. I don't know of anything that does not involve the fruit of the Spirit. We are either walking in the Spirit in what we do, or are in the flesh. If the fruit of the Spirit is not involved in what we are doing, we are not doing it in the Spirit, but in the flesh, and the Scripture says the flesh profits nothing and they who are in the flesh are not pleasing God. So, quite frankly, I don't know that we can do more to be like Jesus - I mean the Jesus of the Bible.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟795,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
I think that in view of the constant struggle we have with the flesh, being able to achieve the fruit of the Spirit in our conduct and behaviour would be something to be valued. It provides the foundation for everything we do. I don't know of anything that does not involve the fruit of the Spirit. We are either walking in the Spirit in what we do, or are in the flesh. If the fruit of the Spirit is not involved in what we are doing, we are not doing it in the Spirit, but in the flesh, and the Scripture says the flesh profits nothing and they who are in the flesh are not pleasing God. So, quite frankly, I don't know that we can do more to be like Jesus - I mean the Jesus of the Bible.
Not that these conflict in the least with the fruit of the Spirit, but walking with Jesus, coming to know him better, and many other such things are also important. Our time here is not ours alone, but his. This life is for Christ, not for us. Not for our performance, but for his purposes.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟837,218.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Not that these conflict in the least with the fruit of the Spirit, but walking with Jesus, coming to know him better, and many other such things are also important. Our time here is not ours alone, but his. This life is for Christ, not for us. Not for our performance, but for his purposes.
The way we get to know Jesus better is to study the Scriptures and ask the Holy Spirit to give us insight concerning who Jesus of the Bible really is. If we try to get to know a Jesus outside of the Bible, we can be led astray to following a Jesus of the imagination. People construct a Jesus according how they want Him to be. There is only one Jesus that He is the Jesus of the Bible.

Upvote 0

Yahudim

Y'shua HaMoshiach Messianic
Site Supporter
Sep 30, 2004
Deep in the Heart of Texas
✟144,827.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It has always puzzled me that those 'believers' that call the Son of Our Father in Heaven, 'The Word', don't understand that it means, 'The Word of Our Father in Heaven' OR that it alluded to the fact that His Son would keep His Word, His Torah, His Father's instructions, perfectly! This is of course, the same Torah given from Mt Sinai to the Children of Israel AND the so called, 'mixed multitude'; y'know, all those people from all those nations that weren't of the Children of Israel or even of Abraham...???

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟699,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
John chapter 1 verse 1
John chapter 1 verse 14
Luke chapter 6 verse 40

You become like Christ through prayer. Head knowledge is great but Jesus was so very much more than head knowledge, His prayer life was one of His most important examples that we should follow to become like Him.

Reactions: disciple1
Upvote 0

Yahudim

Y'shua HaMoshiach Messianic
Site Supporter
Sep 30, 2004
Deep in the Heart of Texas
✟144,827.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
By the time of Messiah Yeshua (Jesus the Christ) and His Disciples, the only scriptures to be found were in the TaNaK scrolls. DSS discoveries demonstrate that these included far more than what has eventually survived the greed and avarice of the Hasmonean imposters to the Priesthood, the perverted traditions of Pharisaic 'teachers', the political excesses of the Herodian (read: Edomite) scribes and the lawyers and the unimaginable and wonton atrocities of the Greek and Roman conquerors.

Further, there are the letters from the Messiah's students that quoted the scriptures to validate their instructions to the uninitiated. But their letters, in and of themselves, were not 'scripture', yet have been 'canonized' as such. The traditions of man and 'The Church' have supplanted the Holy Word of Our Creator.

So here we are, 2000 years later, and the same people that have no concept of the context from which those ancient scrolls were recorded then eisegesically project their own traditions, culture, philosophy and preconceived notions onto said scripture, without even a fundamental understanding of the who, what, when, where, and why of those same writings.

We take the scriptures of a people of radically different locations, languages, cultures and histories than our own and claim to understand it. We take the word of people that have political, monetary and personal motivations that would twist it to their own ends. We create a 'canon' that has been demonstrated to have additions, deletions and fictional commentary alterations passed off as original text - as the foundation of their understanding. We then form traditions based on these misconceptions and elevate these traditions of man above the Word of the most High!

I say 'we' because I once believed all these things too. But the more I studied these ancient peoples and their cultures, their languages and the histories, I came to be far less trusting of the traditions and teachings that the 'church' would have me unquestioningly accept.

Most modern protestant scriptures are founded in the Textus Receptus, which is the Greek Renewed Covenant writings of the Disciples. The 'scripture' they quoted in their writings came from the Original Testament and is based on the Masoretic text; a version of TaNaK that was conceived and written about a 1000 years after Messiah Yeshua (Jesus the Christ).

The Masoretic Text does not match the original text and has been proven to have certain omissions and additions, whether deliberate or otherwise. Further, the Masorets added vowel points. This is an important point in that pronunciation in Hebrew determines a words' meaning. But Hebrew is usually rightly based on the context of its usage. By predetermining the pronunciation, the Masorets determine the meaning of the words rather than letting the context provided by the authors determine its meaning. This of course, leads to errant understanding and erroneous translations into other languages - such as English.

We have older and more reliable texts available to us. These include the LLX (See: Biblical Archaeology.), the DSS and the Samaritan Pentateuch. Equally important is understanding the context of the people and culture of the writers of these texts. For a little more information on how a culture's philosophy and linguistics influences our understanding of scripture, I would suggest this link to Ancient-Hebrew.org.

The most important thing I have found in my walk with the Lord is context. Context is the only means we have of distinguishing between a prooftext and a pretext. Anyone can take a word or phrase out of context and make it mean anything they like. Such is the foundation of politics and the workings of the father of lies.

The only way I can see to correctly 'walk' with Messiah is to understand the scriptures He expounded upon and be able to clearly distinguish them from the traditions of man. Without an accurate understanding of scripture, and therefore His teaching that are based upon them, we are doomed to failure. He said He only did and said what the Father instructed. He said, if you love me, keep my commandments. Wouldn't is be logical to understand those instructions within the context from which they were given?

This is my 2 shekel worth. I pray that it blesses you.

NOTE: Edited for clarity

Last edited:
Upvote 0