I believe this is how to become like Jesus.

JesusFollowerForever

Jan 19, 2024
Quebec
✟10,241.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Luke 11 46
Jesus replied, “And you experts in the law, woe to you, because you load people down with burdens they can hardly carry, and you yourselves will not lift one finger to help them.

James chapter 2 verse 10
For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles at just one point is guilty of breaking all of it.

Matthew chapter 11 verse 30
For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”
There you go cherry picking again with no context to support what you are trying to say. Are you certain you follow Christ or do you follow another?

Upvote 0

JesusFollowerForever

Jan 19, 2024
Quebec
✟10,241.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Within the confines of the OP: I only know of one passage of Scripture where we are to follow the example of Jesus.

I Peter 2:20: But if when you do good and suffer for it you endure, this is a gracious thing in the sight of God. 21 For to this you have been called, because Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example, so that you might follow in his steps.

Following the example of Jesus in its highest order is to suffer for others. How many preachers use this passage of Scripture in their sermons? If they did this in America today....people would be leaving the church in droves.

We are all called to follow the teachings of Jesus...the call to suffer on behalf of others shows us the radical nature of Christianity.
Why did you forget;

Jhn 14:12 Truly, truly, I tell you, whoever believes in Me will also do the works that I am doing. He will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father.

Jhn 14:15 If you love Me, you will keep My commandments.

Jhn 14:16 And I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Advocate to be with you forever—

Peace

Upvote 0

Ain't Zwinglian

Feb 23, 2020
Oregon
✟107,312.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Why did you forget;

Jhn 14:12 Truly, truly, I tell you, whoever believes in Me will also do the works that I am doing. He will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father.

Jhn 14:15 If you love Me, you will keep My commandments.

Jhn 14:16 And I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Advocate to be with you forever—

Peace
Why did you forget;

The distinction I made in the post.

The difference between suffer for others and obedience to the teachings of Jesus.

Peace

Upvote 0

FameBright

Jan 20, 2021
Biloxi
✟22,649.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There is always more to learn. I am offering just one thing.

It means the rest which Jesus gives, that we support people to gain and live in. For example, by not arguing we encourage people to submit to Jesus, instead. And support people to submit to Jesus in His yoke, instead of doing workaholic ministering with its burnout and stress-out.

Support, here, means ministering and encouraging people to submit to Christ in His yoke. It does not mean to pay lazy people's way.
Let me know if I'm taking this out of context, but the way I interpreted this is Jesus knew his time was short and his plan for his disciples was to take his yoke (preaching the Gospel) with being gentle and lowly in heart which is important because they will also be faced with a bunch of angry mobs and persecution. They shouldn't react aggressively like Simon would but in the way that Jesus would.

He assures them that they will find rest for their souls (meaning they will find comfort in being saved.)

Last edited:
Reactions: com7fy8
Upvote 0

disciple1

Aug 1, 2012
✟62,178.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Or do you not know that the unrighteous ones will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor homosexuals,
Galatians chapter 2 verse 21
I do not set aside the grace of God, for if righteousness could be gained through the law, Christ died for nothing!”

Isaiah chapter 45 verse 19
I have not spoken in secret, from somewhere in a land of darkness; I have not said to Jacob’s descendants, ‘Seek me in vain.’ I, the LORD, speak the truth; I declare what is right.

But you seem to think that I sought God in vain.

Upvote 0

NBB

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2013
Uruguay
✟454,820.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I do not set aside the grace of God, for if righteousness could be gained through the law, Christ died for nothing!”

I have not spoken in secret, from somewhere in a land of darkness; I have not said to Jacob’s descendants, ‘Seek me in vain.’ I, the LORD, speak the truth; I declare what is right.

Paul, says, 'or we are going to sin because we are not under the law, but under the grace? of course NOT.

Upvote 0

FameBright

Jan 20, 2021
Biloxi
✟22,649.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Following your logic, the children of Adam and Eve would have never reproduced. A lot of things changed genetically over time. Then there were 'curses' (or prophecies) that affected different branches of humanity too. Take Jacob and Esau for an example. His instructions given in Leviticus simply reflect those considerations. Our Father doesn't make mistakes. We do.
I think the only person that was ever sinless was Jesus. Even the faithful Giants weren't perfect. Abraham said that his wife was his sister and was going to let Abimelech sleep with her; it was God that intervened. Isaac is also guilty of the same thing. Lot got drunk and slept with his daughters. Sarah mocks God yet still received His blessing. Abraham slept with his servant Hagar. Jacob was very deceitful and married Rebekkah who I think was his mom's brother's daughter and also sleeps with Rachael's servant. The list goes on and on.

They were very faithful but even they needed the Grace of God.

Last edited:
Reactions: disciple1
Upvote 0

NBB

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2013
Uruguay
✟454,820.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

God understand if we have hard to quit stuff that you understand you need Gods help etc and you are seeking to quit, but no way he wants for you to accept your favorite sin to gain precedence over Him. We have to be careful.

Upvote 0

NBB

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2013
Uruguay
✟454,820.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Then why do you sin?

Yes, we sin, but there is a line, first, if someone is an adulterer and don't stop sinning or doesn't want to recognize the sin then they are in trouble.
Also there is sin and sin, is important we take care the Spirit he gave us, and if we throw dirt at the temple of the Holy spirit, we are going to quench God in us, and that is not acceptable, there are different gravities to sin, there is some sin that doesn't affect much your relationship with God, and there are others that outright stop our fellowship with him.

We can't keep adulterating, fornicating, robbing etc etc, without trying to change and expect to be right with God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

disciple1

Aug 1, 2012
✟62,178.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yes, we sin
Hebrews chapter 7 verse 19
(for the law made nothing perfect), and a better hope is introduced, by which we draw near to God.

1 John chapter 4 verse 18
There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.

1 Peter chapter 4 verse 8
Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins.

Upvote 0