Uruguay
✟455,420.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am praying so that God gives me faith in totally believing in healing miracles (and seeing some in me and in my family).

- "I am your healer" says, and it doesn't say "maybe sometimes"
- "Don't forget any of his benefits" .... "he heals all your sicknesses" it says a benefit from being a child of God is that he heals us of all our sicknesses.
- "By his stripes we are healed", i believe this is part of the gift Jesus bought for us, and not believing or saying "if its God will maybe he can heal" is not doing it justice.
- A big one for this, "if some of you are sick call the elder and pray for the person, and the person will heal" ok listen this is clear, the scripture is saying the prayer with faith result in healing, this is something they did always in the church it would seem.

- I believe this is the same as with the gifts and being filled with the Holy spirit, they are there but its our fault we are not using them or believing in them.

Opinions?

• Agree
Reactions: tturt

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟150,656.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Supernatural (miraculous) healing is rare.

Its much more easier and much more common that we are healed by changing our diet, sleep, exercise or with the help of good medical facilities.

Instead of focusing on rare miracles, I would recommend focusing on wisdom, both spiritual and practical. It will give us the proper balance of a healthy life (and in this way making us free from physical or mental problems "naturally").

Upvote 0

NBB

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2013
Uruguay
✟455,420.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Its much more easier and much more common that we are healed by changing our diet, sleep, exercise or with the help of good medical facilities.

Instead of focusing on rare miracles, I would recommend focusing on wisdom, both spiritual and practical. It will give us the proper balance of a healthy life (and in this way making us free from physical or mental problems "naturally").

For me its a promise of God, it should come with salvation imo, if we take the scriptures about salvation seriously why not the ones about healing, and sometimes science can't help. Is my belief that with most 'mental illnesses' also science is not advancing or can't help because a lot of them have spiritual roots.

Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟150,656.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
For me its a promise of God, it should come with salvation imo, if we take the scriptures about salvation seriously why not the ones about healing, and sometimes science can't help. Is my belief that with most 'mental illnesses' also science is not advancing or can't help because a lot of them have spiritual roots.
I do not think its any universal promise of God. Many good Christians are sick and die of various injuries or sickness and their faith is strong.

If some form of a perfect faith or a perfect life is required for such miracles, its not too practical anyway.

Its more probable, IMO, that those were the first church gifts, similar to tongues and prophecies.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟907,524.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am praying so that God gives me faith in totally believing in healing miracles (and seeing some in me and in my family).

- "Don't forget any of his benefits" .... "he heals all your sicknesses" it says a benefit from being a child of God is that he heals us of all our sicknesses.
- "By his stripes we are healed", i believe this is part of the gift Jesus bought for us, and not believing or saying "if its God will maybe he can heal" is not doing it justice.
- A big one for this, "if some of you are sick call the elder and pray for the person, and the person will heal" ok listen this is clear, the scripture is saying the prayer with faith result in healing, this is something they did always in the church it would seem.

- I believe this is the same as with the gifts and being filled with the Holy spirit, they are there but its our fault we are not using them or believing in them.

Opinions?
Though I am fully Charismatic, I would tread very carefully not to entertain the theology of the Word of Faith movement. Their doctrines of men are questionable, starting with the promise that healing is part of the atonement. "With His stripes, we are healed" has to do with the spiritual healing we are given by His atonement and through His Holy Spirit. This is not referring to a physical healing. Keep in mind that not everyone was healed in fact, Paul asked for a healing several times however God denied Him. So it is best to believe in the supernatural however we should not think it is " on demand" . Blessings.

Upvote 0

NBB

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2013
Uruguay
✟455,420.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Though I am fully Charismatic, I would tread very carefully not to entertain the theology of the Word of Faith movement. Their doctrines of men are questionable, starting with the promise that healing is part of the atonement. "With His stripes, we are healed" has to do with the spiritual healing we are given by His atonement and through His Holy Spirit. This is not referring to a physical healing. Keep in mind that not everyone was healed in fact, Paul asked for a healing several times however God denied Him. So it is best to believe in the supernatural however we should not think it is " on demand" . Blessings.

I didn't meant to be word of faith like, but the promises of healing are there, the same with gifts maybe we are doing something wrong we don't see more of both, the passage i quoted is clear, it says "if someone is sick, bring the elders, and pray for the person, and the person will heal" is not talking about spiritual healing there i don't think.

Upvote 0

sandman

Aug 17, 2003
MI
✟122,267.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Constitution

Opinions?

You have the capacity of the faith of Jesus Christ ….that was given you.

Rom 12:3 For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith.

That measure (capability) is the same faith as that of Jesus Christ……… You already have that!

What did Jesus Christ do…..He walked according to what God told Him to do …and acted.

The comparison

Jas 2:26
For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

The body without spirit is lifeless ….so believing without action is dead also (or, devoid of results)

When you act on a promise from God in the Word…. or ….revelation from God through the manifestation(s) [they’re not gifts] of word of knowledge [what to do] or word of wisdom [how to carry out the word of knowledge] You will see the desired results.

• Friendly
Reactions: HIM and NBB
Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟798,985.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
There are hindrances to prayer such as "Likewise, ye husbands, dwell with them according to knowledge, giving honour unto the wife, as unto the weaker vessel, and as being heirs together of the grace of life; that your prayers be not hindered.' I Pet 3:7

Some point out Holy Scriptures that may show the root of some conditions such as "A merry heart doeth good like a medicine: but a broken spirit drieth the bones." Pro 17:2 Books have been written on this area.

Pro 4 includes "My son, attend to my words; incline thine ear unto my sayings.
21 Let them not depart from thine eyes; keep them in the midst of thine heart.
22 For they are life unto those that find them, and health to all their flesh."

God is our healer.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Xeno.of.athens

I will give you the keys of the Kingdom of heaven.
May 18, 2022
Perth
✟127,786.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

Opinions?
I read the topic and the first thought that came to mind was to give a cheeky reply and ask "where were you when my internet was sick and in need of healing??", the second thought was the verse you quoted. I suppose my priorities - as far as thoughts go - need some redeeming. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bob Crowley

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟758,491.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I've always been a bit cynical about "divine" healing, in the sense that most of the time we work through medical procedures and I very rarely see anything happen that I would call "Supernatural healing".

But the fact remains that supernatural healing does take place.

There is Sister Briege McKenna who has long had a healing ministry.

Duriing an Alpha presentation, Nicky Gumbel mentioned receiving "power" via the ministry of John Wimber and his team.

Maybe we're not persistent enough. It was the friend's persistent knocking at the door which eventually forced the householder to get out of bed and give his friend what he was asking for.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,054,744.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's good to pray - but pray for faith to trust God whatever happens.
Miracles don't always lead to, or produce, faith - the Pharisees who saw Lazarus raised from the dead, yet wanted to kill Jesus.
And yet there are born again, Spirit filled Christians who pray for physical healing and do not receive it.

- "By his stripes we are healed",
Context - sin, not physical sickness.

And again, there are Spirit filled Christians who have done this and not received physical healing.
Jennifer Rees-Larcombe was one. Yes, she died in hospital, her Pastor was praying, she came back and felt greatly improved - she was still in a wheelchair for 8 years.

I can't think of anything worse than telling a sick, or disabled person, who may already be struggling with pain, disappointment etc, that it's their fault they are not healed.

In Jennifer Rees-Larcombe's case, in my own and maybe in others, it was when we stopped praying for healing and telling God what to do that he healed us.

Upvote 0

NBB

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2013
Uruguay
✟455,420.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It's good to pray - but pray for faith to trust God whatever happens.
Miracles don't always lead to, or produce, faith - the Pharisees who saw Lazarus raised from the dead, yet wanted to kill Jesus.

And yet there are born again, Spirit filled Christians who pray for physical healing and do not receive it.

Context - sin, not physical sickness.

And again, there are Spirit filled Christians who have done this and not received physical healing.
Jennifer Rees-Larcombe was one. Yes, she died in hospital, her Pastor was praying, she came back and felt greatly improved - she was still in a wheelchair for 8 years.

I can't think of anything worse than telling a sick, or disabled person, who may already be struggling with pain, disappointment etc, that it's their fault they are not healed.

In Jennifer Rees-Larcombe's case, in my own and maybe in others, it was when we stopped praying for healing and telling God what to do that he healed us.

Hey there were times when people didn't know about being filled with the Holy spirit correctly, maybe this is similar 'dark age' not so dark because healing miracles still happen a lot, but i mean that we should see more. I believe the promises of the bible are true.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,054,744.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hey there were times when people didn't know about being filled with the Holy spirit correctly, maybe this is similar 'dark age' not so dark because healing miracles still happen a lot, but i mean that we should see more. I believe the promises of the bible are true.
I believe that the promises of the Bible are true, too.
But if God HAD promised physical healing, every time, we would receive it; and it would be non Christians - those without any faith at all - who remained ill.
Yet, David Watson died from cancer and Joni Eareckson-Tada remains in a wheelchair - to name but two. Jennifer Rees-Larcombe WAS healed, miraculously, but not when she, her husband and all their friends were praying for it. I was healed, but, again, not when people were praying, I was going to healing services etc.

If you look at the Bible, miracles do not always produce, or lead to, faith in God.

Upvote 0

NBB

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2013
Uruguay
✟455,420.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I believe that the promises of the Bible are true, too.
But if God HAD promised physical healing, every time, we would receive it; and it would be non Christians - those without any faith at all - who remained ill.
Yet, David Watson died from cancer and Joni Eareckson-Tada remains in a wheelchair - to name but two. Jennifer Rees-Larcombe WAS healed, miraculously, but not when she, her husband and all their friends were praying for it. I was healed, but, again, not when people were praying, I was going to healing services etc.

If you look at the Bible, miracles do not always produce, or lead to, faith in God.

God promised lots of stuff, not all receive the hings he promised either, for some reasons.
Miracles produce more faith than if they didn't happen.

Reactions: mwallie
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Strong in Him

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,054,744.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
God promised lots of stuff, not all receive the hings he promised either, for some reasons.
Yes - all things in HIS time; not necessarily when we demand it.
Miracles produce more faith than if they didn't happen.
Evidence?
How many Pharisees believed after they saw Lazarus walking out of the tomb?
What about Pharaoh, after the first plague in Egypt?

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟834,458.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I do not think its any universal promise of God. Many good Christians are sick and die of various injuries or sickness and their faith is strong.

If some form of a perfect faith or a perfect life is required for such miracles, its not too practical anyway.

Its more probable, IMO, that those were the first church gifts, similar to tongues and prophecies.
I agree. Some of the most faithful believers, such as Henry Martyn and David Brainerd who had really powerful soul-saving ministries, died in their early 20s with TB. Fanny Crosby, the wonderful hymn writer was blind and when she was offered an operation to restore her sight she refused, because she wanted to retain the Jesus that she knew by faith and the first person she wanted to see was the Jesus that she loved, when she got to glory.

Paul's companion in the ministry, Epaphroditus, got sick. Timothy had stomach complaints, and Paul had to leave a fellow worker Trophimus sick, who could not continue with Paul until he got well again. If Paul had the same ability to heal the sick as Jesus did, he would have, but he knew that he didn't, because Jesus was God and man, while Paul was just a man. But when the Holy Spirit enabled Paul to perform a healing ministry, it was as a sign, and many pagans turned to Christ as a result. Paul himself suffered the effects of having been stoned to near death, whipped, and thrown into damp unhealthy prisons. Injuries, malnutrition, and other effects of a hard and difficult life take time to heal. Barnabas or Silas could have laid hands on him for healing, but they didn't, because healing wasn't for him or his team. It was for the unconverted Gentiles to give them the sign that the Gospel was absolutely true.

Modern healing evangelists have got is all around the wrong way. Most, if not all who attend the mega churches and tent meetings are already professing Christians, and so the sign of healing doesn't apply to them. The real healing happens to an unconverted person, and as a result, his family, friends, and many in his community turn to Christ. That is the real purpose of the healing sign.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟834,458.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married

Opinions?
I don't have the confidence that your prayer will be answered in the way you want. When Jesus healed people it was a sign that the kingdom of God had come to them. It was to point people to Jesus so that they will have faith in Him and trust Him for their salvation. When we see healing in the book of Acts, it was for the same purpose.

The prayer of the disciples as the result of persecution is the standard. They prayed, "Give us boldness to preach Your word, and that signs and wonders be done in the name of Jesus of Nazareth". From then on we see that divine healing was always linked to the preaching of the Gospel to the unsaved.

Therefore I reckon you might be more successful if you aligned your prayer with that of the disciples at the beginning of Acts.

Reactions: Strong in Him
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟834,458.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married

Healing is designed to build up the Body of Christ. We see this in the healing of the lame man at the Gate Beautiful with the result that over 5,000 people were added to the Christian church. Where there is a genuine testimony of divine healing, it is always accompanied by people turning to Christ as a result.

Reactions: Bobber
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟834,458.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
You have the capacity of the faith of Jesus Christ ….that was given you.

Rom 12:3 For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith.

That measure (capability) is the same faith as that of Jesus Christ……… You already have that!

What did Jesus Christ do…..He walked according to what God told Him to do …and acted.

The comparison

Jas 2:26
For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

The body without spirit is lifeless ….so believing without action is dead also (or, devoid of results)

When you act on a promise from God in the Word…. or ….revelation from God through the manifestation(s) [they’re not gifts] of word of knowledge [what to do] or word of wisdom [how to carry out the word of knowledge] You will see the desired results.
We can't do what Jesus did. He was God and man and had the Holy Spirit without measure. He didn't need faith to do the miracles. He is God, who created the universe and everything in the world. He is well able to heal all who come to Him in a way that would be impossible for us, because we are just human. So to imply that we can do exactly what Jesus was able to do, is to commit heresy in saying that Jesus was just an ordinary man dependent on the Holy Spirit and became God only after His resurrection. Or the heresy that we are gods as well has human and therefore can create in the same way that God can. The latter is the blasphemy that the prominent word of faith preachers teach about us being little gods.

So, God is not obliged to heal anyone, in the same way that He is not obliged to save anyone. We have no right to expect anything of God based on our own merits. If we are saved, it is by God's grace alone, and if anyone gets healed, it is also by God's grace alone, and not because we could generate enough faith for it to happen.

What is nasty, is people being led to believe that there is something wrong with them if they get sick and are not healed. This erroneous teaching has caused more harm, depression, and hardship than any other false teaching. It is totally unkind and the height of nastiness to pray for a sick person and nothing happens, to blame the sick person of having sin in their life, or not having enough faith to be healed. In my opinion, people who teach that stuff are not saved and are on the read to hell.

Upvote 0